The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-23-2018, 09:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Anmer Hall surely was a suitable home and is now a country seat for William and Catherine, but IMHO it is too far away from London to really work as a weekend residence for them when the become Prince and Princess of Wales. I don't see them taking over Sandringham or Windsor, when Charles decides to keep Highgrove House (which was given over to him lifelong by the Duchy of Cornwall btw.)
Anmer Hall is on the Sandringham Estate, so if apparently Sandringham would be acceptable to you, so is Anmer Hall. Moreover, Anmer Hall is only 17 miles further from Buckingham Palace than Highgrove, so I truly don't see the issue. Charles is doing fine right now and William and Catherine are and will continue to do fine.

In addition, as others have pointed out. The Cambridges made it quite clear that their current living arrangements are meant to be long term and not change when becoming prince and princess of Wales. They have the use of a helicopter so going bavk and forth to Anmer Hall seems relatively esay (and something they are already doing). They won't be the prince and princess of Wales for London but for the UK, so no need to also have a country home close to the capital where they already live.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:05 PM
Courtier

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have use of the Royal Helicopter for travel to and from engagements (if needed) and to and from residences (if needed).

Old 12-23-2018, 02:23 PM
Majesty

Who has use of Chevening is decided by the Prime Minister. Although is was once assigned to Charles, he never lived there and there is no royal connection.

"Formerly the principal seat of the Earls Stanhope, under the Chevening Estate Act 1959 (amended 1987) the house and estate are held in trust by the Board of Trustees of the Chevening Estate to serve as a furnished country residence for a person nominated by the Prime Minister, so qualified by being a member of the Cabinet or a descendant of King George VI. The nominee pays for their own private living expenses when in residence"

The usual nominee is the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs and Commonwealth.

I don't think with all the properties currently available, adding yet another one will happen (and it would be poor PR if it did)

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-25-2018, 04:17 PM
Nobility

The Canbridgea seem very happy and well settled in both their current residences. I just can't see them having the use for a third home just now. Even Charles and the Queen have only two "main" homes (the others being seasonal retreats).
Old 08-12-2019, 02:58 PM
Nobility

Now that Eugenie has moved into Ivy Cottage, during the next reign, I can now see Charles moving into BP, Windsor Castle, Sandringham and Balmoral (same as HM currently), and the Cambridges retaining Anmer Hall, and also taking on Clarence House, Birkhall and Highgrove. This would mean the Sussexes could retain Frogmore Cottage and move into the Cambridges' current KP apartment. Beatrice could then move into Nottingham Cottage. The residences of the Sussexes plus the York princesses would be settled once and for all then, with only William and Kate moving during their reign.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:11 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The only thing I don’t see is H&M moving into 1a and Beatrice getting Nott Cottage.
I don’t see any reason for Catherine and William to relocate from KP to Clarence House, Nott Cottage again is very personal to Henry and Meghan.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

While I think we'll see Charles taking up residence at Windsor I doubt that he'll leave Clarence House for Buckingham Palace. I also think that the Cambridges are at Kensington Palace for life.
Buckingham Palace will go the way of the other European Royal palaces and become the office and guesthouse.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

I use to think same that Charles would stay at Clarence House but since the refurb I dont necessarily see it now. I think it all depends on timings, if the refurb work is done and quite recently so when Chalres comes to throne I think the oressure will be on for him to move (e.g why spend hundreds millions on pounds on refurb only for it to be opened to public all year round etc)
Also, a friend of mine visited CH last time it was open (apparently it isnt this year) and said it was really quite small and cramped by royal standards. I also think Charles will want to show he is king in every way including residing in the traditional home of monarch.
Everything else is a given IMO, though wasn’t there once talk that Charles woukd give up balmoral to scottish state and just retain Birkhall?
He and Camilla seem tonise Sandringham alot anyway so sure they will keep that up.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:54 AM
Majesty

> I think Charles will remain at CH till the BP renovations are complete, and then move to BP. He will also use Windsor, Sandringham and Balmoral.

> William will probably keep KP 1A, Highgrove and Birkhall.

> That will free up Clarence House (from c2028, if BP repairs progress on schedule) and Anmer. I think Anmer will be let out, like it previously was.

> I am not sure Clarence House will be offered to Harry, nor do I think he will be able to fund its running. Perhaps it will get used as offices, like an extension to SJP.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:05 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Everything else is a given IMO, though wasn’t there once talk that Charles woukd give up balmoral to scottish state and just retain Birkhall?
He and Camilla seem tonise Sandringham alot anyway so sure they will keep that up.
I don't see Balmoral being given up. It is privately owned, worth quite a lot, and they work quite hard to make the estate self-sustaining.It is also a place the BRF enjoy an awful lot.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I use to think same that Charles would stay at Clarence House but since the refurb I dont necessarily see it now. I think it all depends on timings, if the refurb work is done and quite recently so when Chalres comes to throne I think the oressure will be on for him to move (e.g why spend hundreds millions on pounds on refurb only for it to be opened to public all year round etc)

Could they not use other rooms at BP for audiences etc. Lets say the State appartements are open for the Public a few days each week and the others they are closed and used by the RF for bigger events. And smaller Events in room which are now the private Quarters of the Queen for example.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:05 AM
Heir Apparent

I think Charles will move to Buckingham Palace when he becomes king.
I don't know if William and Kate will move to Clarence House, as they may prefer to stay in Kensinghton until they become kings. When they become kings, I believe that William and Kate will move to Buckingham as well.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I don't see Balmoral being given up. It is privately owned, worth quite a lot, and they work quite hard to make the estate self-sustaining.It is also a place the BRF enjoy an awful lot.
It is very different when you own it. Sandringham and Balmoral are private retreats that the all, including the extended family, love to spend time. To sell either would be out of the question as the monies raised would go into the Duchy of Lancaster. The government has its hands in the mix well and truly there.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
It is very different when you own it. Sandringham and Balmoral are private retreats that the all, including the extended family, love to spend time. To sell either would be out of the question as the monies raised would go into the Duchy of Lancaster. The government has its hands in the mix well and truly there.
Why would the money raised by an eventual sale of Sandringham or Balmoral go into the Duchy of Lancaster when it's private property?
Old 08-13-2019, 09:04 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I completely agree with you, not only do they all like to use Balmoral, it is privately owned and there does not appear to be a need to raise moneys.

Where I disagree is that if there were to be a sale, the funds would go to the Duchy of Lancaster. Balmoral is privately held, it is not owned by the Duchy of Lancaster. It was bought back by George VI from Edward VIIII after the abdication.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:44 AM
Nobility

I honestly believe that Charles will move to BP when the renovations are complete and will retain CH until that time. He understands the idea of perception and how it would look for all that money to be spent on the renovations and then the new king not to even live there. The optics would be horrendous. That said, I don't believe the Cambridges or the Sussexes will take over CH. I look for that to become offices or potentially guest accommodations. I believe the Cambridges will stay at KP until they ascend the throne and then move to BP at that time.

I'm unsure of what might happen with Highgrove and Birkhall, though I wouldn't rule out the Sussexes taking over one or both of those and staying with Frogmore. Though maybe they'll take over Highgrove while the Cambridges take over Birkhall.

So much depends on timing....I think the Cambridges really are happy with Anmer and would ideally like to stay on there so if timing works in their favor it may be that when it's their turn to take on Sandringham, Balmoral, Windsor, BP, etc. then one of the children could take over Anmer but there's obviously no way to know that ahead of time.

Clearly we'll see some shifting of properties over the next 10-20 years but ultimately I think we'll continue to see the reigning monarch living in BP, Windsor, Sandringham, and Balmoral while the other homes do a bit of shifting depending on timing, ages of the Cambridge children, etc.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I'm unsure of what might happen with Highgrove and Birkhall, though I wouldn't rule out the Sussexes taking over one or both of those and staying with Frogmore. Though maybe they'll take over Highgrove while the Cambridges take over Birkhall.
> The Sussex' are unlikely to have the financial resources to take on either Highgrove or Birkhall. Both are large properties that are expensive to run on an ongoing basis.

> Further, Highgrove is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall so if Harry wants it, he will need to lease it from the Duchy at market rate, which he is unlikely to have the financial resources to finance.

> Once William is King, he may permit Harry to lease Birkhall at no cost or at a highly subsidised cost.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:47 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
> The Sussex' are unlikely to have the financial resources to take on either Highgrove or Birkhall. Both are large properties that are expensive to run on an ongoing basis.

> Further, Highgrove is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall so if Harry wants it, he will need to lease it from the Duchy at market rate, which he is unlikely to have the financial resources to finance.

> Once William is King, he may permit Harry to lease Birkhall at no cost or at a highly subsidised cost.
All very true, just simply thoughts on my part as I don't see Charles having much time to spend in either property once he ascends to the throne but at the same time, he loves those properties very much and I'm 1000% sure he wouldn't want them to sit empty. I would agree that the Sussexes probably won't have the financial resources to run one or both but thought we might see some agreement worked out for them at Highgrove. I'm not even sure if such an agreement would be possible but thought it might be worth considering. In truth I don't really see the Sussexes wanting either property but then again, you never know and anything is possible. Assuming that the Sussexes can't or won't take on either property, it's very interesting to speculate on what might be done with them and how they might be used. I can think of loads of uses for Highgrove, particularly as it is, as you say, property of the Duchy. Birkhall is a bit trickier since it's privately owned but perhaps there's other family members who might wish to work out a lease agreement for it.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Two possibilities for CH:

-kept on for Camilla if Charles "goes" before her
-Andrew and Edward move there from their apartments now in BP. If they kept their offices at St James (they moved there to allow from renovations) they would be handily located for work and stay. Anne already has her private apartment at St James but rooms for meetings etc at BP so these too could move over leaving BP free for Charles, Camilla and the Sussex's.

I think Highgrove is unlikely to be taken by anyone tbh. Charles wouldn't have time to live there as he does now but maybe they will keep it on as a weekend retreat and open the gardens and rooms more for viewing and events a bit like they do now with Dumfries House.

Birkhall with go to William and Kate and when they come to the throne maybe Harry or it may just become used for guests or a base for Anne, Ed, Andrew etc without the need to always be at the main house.

-Anmer will be kept by William and Kate until they become King/Queen and move into Sandringham itself IMO.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
Now that Eugenie has moved into Ivy Cottage, during the next reign, I can now see Charles moving into BP, Windsor Castle, Sandringham and Balmoral (same as HM currently), and the Cambridges retaining Anmer Hall, and also taking on Clarence House, Birkhall and Highgrove. This would mean the Sussexes could retain Frogmore Cottage and move into the Cambridges' current KP apartment. Beatrice could then move into Nottingham Cottage. The residences of the Sussexes plus the York princesses would be settled once and for all then, with only William and Kate moving during their reign.
If she remains with Edo, I can't see them in NottCott long term. He's a wealthy property developer & I think their London residence is likely to be larger.