The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal Residences

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-01-2014, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

888,246 Ceramic Poppies Flow Like Blood from the Tower of London to Commemorate WWI

888,246 Ceramic Poppies Flow Like Blood from the Tower of London to Commemorate WWI | Colossal

Old 08-02-2014, 06:37 PM
Nobility

Thank you for the link. The photographs make a powerful statement.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
888,246 Ceramic Poppies Flow Like Blood from the Tower of London to Commemorate WWI

888,246 Ceramic Poppies Flow Like Blood from the Tower of London to Commemorate WWI | Colossal
This is probably one of my favorite ever modern art installations. Does anyone agree? Is anyone buying one of the poppies? I just think think is a genius idea, great fundraising and stunning land art (the most known of which is probably the work of Christo - http://www.christojeanneclaude.net/ - though there are others).
Old 08-02-2014, 08:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post

The poppies are extremely beautiful!!!
This is a creative way to show the general public about a reminder of lost lives.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Whitby Abbey was founded as a monastery in 657 by King Oswy of Northumbria to celebrate his victory over King Penda of Mercia.
In 664 the Synod of Whitby occurred at Whitby Abbey. At this conference the method for calculating Easter Sunday was decided.

The Holbein Gate to the north of Whitehall Palace was a three-storey structure in a chequered pattern of stone and flint, adorned with portrait medallions probably by Giovanni da Maiano.
Orford Castle was built by King Henry II, as a coastal defense against possible invasion and to strengthen the King's hand against the Earl of Norfolk, Hugh Bigod.
In 1303 King Edward I had the Crown Regalia moved from Westminster Abbey to the Tower of London.
The Regalia has been on public show since the 1600s.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Ed Balls: Queen and Duchess of Cambridge will pay Labour's mansion tax - Telegraph
Quote:
he Queen and the royal family will have to pay a mansion tax on their portfolio of country estates if Labour is elected, Ed Balls has said. The shadow chancellor said that royals will not be exempt and will have to pay the taxes "just like everyone else" for properties which are not open to the public.

The Queen has paid income tax and capital gains tax for decades, but she and the Royal family are likely to be hit significantly harder by a mansion tax.

Under the plans, all properties worth more than £2million will face an average annual levy of around £12,000. However, labour said that more valuable properties will face a higher tax.

While Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle, the Palace of Holyroodhouse, St James' Palace, Kensington Palace and Clarence House are likely to be exempt, other properties will be hit by the charge.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:54 AM
Heir Apparent

General discussion about royal residences

None of the places listed are actually owned by the Queen. They are owned by the government. 2 million is pretty low with the housing prices in London. That would put most of the city in the extra tax zone.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-05-2014, 11:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

I see a conflict in the story:

places 'not open to the public' won't be taxed but Sandringham will be - yet it is open most of the year - open more than BP is for instance.

I suspect that this story is wrong as the earlier version of the story I read, linked a page back, had the private premises subject to the tax but not the publicly owned ones.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Most of the large ancestral great homes such as Chatsworth, Highclere, Althorp, etc are open to the public for parts of the year so is Balmoral, Sandringham and Highgrove. So they wouldn't be tax but a condo in Canary Wharf would?

Old 10-05-2014, 01:48 PM
Heir Apparent

What isnt clear is that are they talking about "The Sandringham Estate" - open to the public; or are they talking about individual homes within the estate?

In the former then the Queen would get a reduction in tax because the estate is open for the requisite minimum period. If it's the latter, then Anmer Hall would be taxed.

This isn't policy - its a proposal by a political party prior to the General Election next yr. And it isnt at the logical stage yet (if it ever gets there).

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-05-2014, 05:15 PM
Heir Apparent

You have to love the headline-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...nsion-tax.html

William and Kate don't actually own Amner Hall so the Queen would get their bill.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Senior members within Labour are not on board with balls. Just more typical Labour class warfare that won't stand up to scrutiny.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Tower Of London Poppies: Stunning Before And After Pictures Show 'Blood Swept Lands And Seas Of Red' In All Its Magnificent Glory

Tower Of London Poppies: Stunning Before And After Pictures Show 'Blood Swept Lands And Seas Of Red' In All Its Magnificent Glory
Old 11-22-2014, 11:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, from where the splendidly named Colonel Blood attempted to steal them in 1671. Charles II liked a rogue and had a sense of humour, so Blood was pardoned after his arrest!
Old 04-06-2015, 08:52 AM
Nobility

What will happen to the current residences of the Kents and Gloucesters when they become vacant? There may not be any new royals ready to move in.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
What will happen to the current residences of the Kents and Gloucesters when they become vacant? There may not be any new royals ready to move in.
Well, it will depend on when they become vacant. It may be years and years. No way to predict that.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
They all have an appartment at Kensington Palace at their disposal. The most logic would be that the disposal ends when the current Duke and Duchess of Gloucester as well the current Duke and Duchess of Kent dies.

Their sons will not become royal dukes, so I guess they will remain to live where they live now: the Earl of St Andrews in Cambridge and the Earl of Ulster in London. This means that the appartments in Kensington Palace will be free to house other royals (Princess Beatrice of York? Princess Eugenie of York? Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor? Lord James Mountbatten-Windsor, Viscount Severn?)

Old 04-06-2015, 11:31 PM
Heir Apparent

And Harry may get Wren House eventually.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:45 PM
Aristocracy

I don't know. Castles? While I think wow briefly, I realize they have help. Lots of help. People who are servants. Things that are not obtainable are particularly non intresting. But, in this case learning is an obtainable thing. Ok, so many people, these royals don't get to do a whole lot for themselves like you and I who spend time daily doing chores that we actually enjoy and value time doing at our own residences. What a loss that would be, to have it off limits. I couldn't imagine. But I have great empathy. How peculiar it would be to have servants. The castles look fantastic. But how sad and secluded? I do hope the royals enjoy the help. I hope the help behaves. I hope it isn't sad in there.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:31 PM
Nobility

Obviously they are private citizens, but do the children of Princess Margaret and the children of the Queen's royal cousins require security where they live? Surely their neighbours would know they are related to the BRF and therefore are likely to be wealthy.