The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-20-2018, 03:06 PM
Aristocracy

Gatcombe Park

I apologize if there's already a thread for Gatcombe Park. I didn't see one. Anyway, I wanted to go ahead and start one because it's one of the royal residences that I seem to know the least about. I know that Princess Anne lives there and that both children had cottages there before they married and moved away but if I'm not mistaken haven't they moved back with their families? I've only ever seen a couple of pictures and it appears to be a beautiful place.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:01 PM
Royal Highness

The main gatcombe House is home to Princess Anne and Tim. It was reported, but never confirmed I don' think, a while back that Zara and Mike had moved into Aston Farm, a 7 bedroom farm house and estate next door to Gatcombe that was purchased by the Queen and the use of which was given to Mark Phillips when he and Anne divorced (its been reported in a number of places that ownership was not transferred to Mark but that it was put in trust for Zara and Peter to ensure it stayed in the family) They had previously lived in "The Bothy" a smaller house on the main estate where they lived before moving into Cheltenham.
GIRL ABOUT TOWN: Dad's old farmhouse? Bling it on, says Zara | Daily Mail Online

This would suggest to me that Peter may well be the one who will eventually take over Gatcombe itself, he helps run the annual Festival of Eventing that takes place there annually.

Unlike a lot of other royal residences it is not owned by the Crown Estate and leased but was instead purchased by the Queen herself as a gift to Anne on her marriage. The estate runs at around 700 acres an includes, not surprisingly, a vast amount of stabling facilities.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:34 PM
Serene Highness

Wow Tommy many thanks for the wonderful information. Sounds like a great setup for the family.