Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes evidently there are several on the estate. IMO if it's possible I think he will go that direction if he wants a country home.

LaRae

Is there a house on the Sandringham Estate that Harry could live in like Anmer Hall where William and Kate live?

None that aren't currently in use, either rented out or as offices and such. But they could just do as they did with Amner. Or they could use wood farm, but that is where Charles currently stays when he is on the estate so not sure if that is a real possibility until the queen dies. There is York cottage, but it is currently used as offices as well as flats, so would take major renovation to turn it back into a single home.

There are very few buildings on the estate that would be suitable for conversion into a largish home with rooms for RPOs etc. Some have been pulled down, others are now estate offices etc.
I think Wood Farm is used for short visits by several members of the royal family, shoots and so on, so if that was used it would deprive the family of that building.

I suppose there might be a farmhouse on the edges of the estate or just outside it that could be converted, but none spring to mind. Maybe a piece of the estate of five to ten acres or so could be hived off and a new building erected on that. That might be a solution.

What about building something new?

What about building something new?

What, like Sunninghill?
Everyone made fun of the place and nobody wanted to live there.

(Besides, it would probably cost more to build a new place than to refurbish an existing house).

In fairness Sunninghill was lived in for a number of years. But the house was a bad joke in design.

It may be expensive to turn offices back into a private home, but would still be cheaper IMO then building a new home with the space and such needed.

It would be cheaper to build office accommodations and restore a house than to build a new house that matches the others in the area.

I'll be very, very surprised if Diana's old apartment at Kensington Palace isn't where Harry ends up long term. They took it back over and control the space now, their offices are at Kensington and William and Catherine live there. It just makes the most sense logically as a residence.

I'll be very, very surprised if Diana's old apartment at Kensington Palace isn't where Harry ends up long term. They took it back over and control the space now, their offices are at Kensington and William and Catherine live there. It just makes the most sense logically as a residence.

Well currently the offices are Diana's apartments. But with the new offices being built underground, it may free up the space. The couple may have to use Nott cottage for a while if that is the case though.

Last edited:
The State Apartments at KP will still be there and that is where they host receptions, meetings etc. These don't take place in offices used by the staff or in the private apartments but in the State Apartments - some of which are open to the public but not all of them as the rest are used by all the royals who live in KP.

They also can use the State Apartments at St James' and BP for these events as well - as has happened in the past with all members of the RF other than HM.

New offices are not being built underground! This is a piece of nonsense put out by UK media.

Historic Royal Palaces who manage the State Rooms at KP have applied for planning permission to build under The ORangery in Kensington Gardens.

They plan to use this space for additional kitchen facilities for the Orangery and for storage.

I have looked at the Planning Application and this is factually correct and no member of the BRF is involved in it.

The offices of Harry and the Cambridges are in Diana's old apartment - they work there and hold meetings and it is where their staff are based.

HRP also use part of the space there for storage and it is assumed that their stuff will move to the new facilities at the Orangery.

The timetable is c. 2019/20 if planning permission is given.

Thought this might help with what is or is not available to Harry and the timeline.

Well, something's going to have to give. Harry will have to have a pretty large apartment somewhere if he doesn't get a big country home. Nott Cott will be all right until babies come, but conversions/renovations take time, especially in an old building like KP.

And, if, as The Times predicted, Harry and Meghan marry next summer, tptb and the couple are going to have to start thinking about such things as future accommodation pretty soon.

Last edited:
I honestly think if Kensington palace, apartment 4b is still the best option. It wont need converting as it has been a private apartment and not offices. It likely needs some updating or redecorating for a young couple. It is six bedrooms and said to be quite nice.

Simplest. Wouldn't require moving anyone, family or not, out of their home. No need to convert back from offices. Been lived in recent years so hopefully no major asbestos and other issues to deal with.

The KP set up seems ideal for their London home.

LaRae

I honestly think if Kensington palace, apartment 4b is still the best option. It wont need converting as it has been a private apartment and not offices. It likely needs some updating or redecorating for a young couple. It is six bedrooms and said to be quite nice.

Simplest. Wouldn't require moving anyone, family or not, out of their home. No need to convert back from offices. Been lived in recent years so hopefully no major asbestos and other issues to deal with.

So is Apt 4B currently empty? If so, then maybe there are already plans afoot. I really doubt that a larger residence for Harry and a future family has not already been discussed, at least in general terms.

So is Apt 4B currently empty? If so, then maybe there are already plans afoot. I really doubt that a larger residence for Harry and a future family has not already been discussed, at least in general terms.

It housed Charles' private secretary until a few years ago. I read some where Diana said it was nicer then hers. When his secretary retired, his replacement wasn't given the apartments. It seems to have been empty since.

Who lived in 4b before Charles' secretary?
Also, the Duke of Kent has said the Queen has hosted Xmas at Windsor in the documentary, "Elizabeth at 90." and says that Windsor is roomier than Sandringham.

Windsor Castle is roomier than the main house at Sandringham. The Queen moved Christmas from Windsor to Sandringham to have just her immediate family present for Christmas rather than the full extended family so the Gloucesters and Kents not able to fit into Sandringham.

The estates are different as both have a number of other homes on them other than the major homes but most of those homes are used for other people or purposes.

:previous: No evidence who lived in the apartment before. Michael Peate spent 18 years in royal service, leaving in 2011. Nine years with the queen and 9 years with Charles. He seems to have lived there for most if not all the time. They were refurbished in his time, the floors alone being said to be worth a fortune. Who may have lived there before 2002 I am not quite certain.

Yes, on occasion the queen has hosted at Windsor. The last time was in 2006 it seems. Windsor is the largest of the queen's homes, and certainly has more guest space then Norfolk. It does lack the privacy of being their own home though. If Charles plans to slim down events when he is king, and William and his family have Amner, the lack of space at Sandringham will be little worry.

Or he may choose to switch Christmas to Balmoral. We know that he and Camilla love their home up near Balmoral, they spend new years there.

What about Coppins as a country home? The Kents no longer live there, right?

[...]on occasion the queen has hosted at Windsor. The last time was in 2006 it seems. Windsor is the largest of the queen's homes, and certainly has more guest space then Norfolk. It does lack the privacy of being their own home though. If Charles plans to slim down events when he is king, and William and his family have Amner, the lack of space at Sandringham will be little worry.

Or he may choose to switch Christmas to Balmoral.
We know that he and Camilla love their home up near Balmoral, they spend new years there.

That would be fun! :flowers: Makes a lot of sense, but better, it would mean Christmas in the snow! And very private.

Who knows, maybe Harry and Meghan may settle in the Cotswolds, or on an estate near to Highgrove. However, to me this article looks suspiciously like an ad for Cotswold properties for sale at the moment, aided and abetted by the Fail's photos. Real estate agents in the area must be happy.

Last edited:
Of course more rumors. No way is one of Harry's friends (the circle that would know) going to spill this if it's true.

LaRae

Is Highgrove in the Cotswolds?

Last edited by a moderator:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highgrove_House

It's in Gloucestershire. Also I'm certain that Harry and Meghan will determine for themselves where they wish to live. If they wish to be close to Harry's only sibling then why shouldn't they choose to live at KP and/or on the Sandringham estate? The brothers do have a close relationship.

Is Highgrove in the Cotswolds? I hope they settle there or somewhere not close to Kate and William. I want Meghan and Harry to have their own identity apart from the Cambridges as much as possible.

Is Highgrove in the Cotswolds?

Yes I think South Cotswolds. Again..totally rumor. No one in his circle would say this and no realtor would dare breathe a word of it if they hoped to make their commission.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
This should be in the Harry's future home thread, but the real difficulty of the couple having a home on the Sandringham estate is a scarcity of available buildings, unless a piece of land is hived off and a new home built.

I'm sure Harry loves shooting at Sandringham, but he may also want to play polo still and be near the polo crowd he's known for years. We will just have to wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom