Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm too pragmatic, but I don't know why the idea of Harry living in his childhood home is creepy. It's not like anyone Harry knew was murdered there. If he would be comfortable there what any of us think is immaterial.

True, I can't imagine why its "creepy" to live in his old home.. where he no doubt has hapy memories as well as sad ones.
But if it has become offices then its not that likely to be used.

Garden house. Considering her husband died in 1981, the house would be vacant now. They moved into the home when her husband got cancer, so they could be close to London for treatment. He died six months later but Margaret remained in the home after.

Cant find much detail on it, but there is a pic of her here infront of the home with her dog

http://www.tatler.com/gallery/queens-cousin-best-friend-margaret-rhodes-dies-aged-91
What a lovely house. If Harry doesn't want it I'd gladly take it.

Garden house. Considering her husband died in 1981, the house would be vacant now. They moved into the home when her husband got cancer, so they could be close to London for treatment. He died six months later but Margaret remained in the home after.

Cant find much detail on it, but there is a pic of her here infront of the home with her dog

Queens cousin & best friend Margaret Rhodes dies aged 91 | Tatler Magazine

From what I have read, Garden House was in close proximity to both Royal Lodge and Windsor Castle. Mrs. Rhodes was very close to her aunt, the Queen Mum and also with the Queen herself. It was a normal occurrence that the Queen would pop over to Garden House for a visit after church on Sundays and the two women remained very close until Mrs. Rhode's death just recently. I believe Margaret was only 18 months older than the Queen.

I don't see Harry wanting a residence in Windsor though as a first choice. I think he'd rather opt out for Norfolk or even Gloucester (Highgrove). Once thing I do think is almost a given is somewhere to set up base in London at KP.

Does anyone recall

Does anyone remember a few months ago --beginning of summer reading that Harry was looking at properties? There were a few specific properties featured in the newspaper article. I recall something was said that he wanted a place with stables and room enough for a polo field. Perhaps this was all fabricated drivel.

I am asking if anyone wants to bet that it will soon emerge that there is a property and it already has permission for a redo.
I'm counting on space in Gloustershire adjacent to Highgrove.

You all have such good information. Thanks for posting, keeps me busy!

Does anyone remember a few months ago --beginning of summer reading that Harry was looking at properties? There were a few specific properties featured in the newspaper article. I recall something was said that he wanted a place with stables and room enough for a polo field. Perhaps this was all fabricated drivel.

I am asking if anyone wants to bet that it will soon emerge that there is a property and it already has permission for a redo.

They were said to be looking in Norfolk

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/36679...sion-but-it-must-have-space-for-a-polo-field/

I love Diana, I absolutely do, but I think Harry and Meghan should have a fresh start and not live in his childhood home in KP with memories of his mom. I think those old apartments should stay offices for the next few generations.

Also, Garden House is perfect for Harry-who lives in it now? I would like to see him live apart from William.

Last edited:
I love Diana, I absolutely do, but I think Harry and Meghan should have a fresh start and not live in his childhood home in KP with memories of his mom. I think those old apartments should stay offices for the next few generations.

Also, Garden House is perfect for Harry-who lives in it now? I would like to see him live apart from William.

If Harry wants to live near William either at Kensington Palace and or in Norfolk I see no problem.

I think Norfolk is more likely; remember that article on the Turnip Toffs?

Those are all members of Harry's circle, so I think if he has a country house, that's where it will be.

Just thinking of "London boltholes," as they've been called here...does anyone have any idea how the size of Nott Cott compares to the BP apartments the queen's younger children have? Could it be a conceivable option for that function for him in the future as a city home base if he were to shift his primary residence to the country?

Just thinking of "London boltholes," as they've been called here...does anyone have any idea how the size of Nott Cott compares to the BP apartments the queen's younger children have? Could it be a conceivable option for that function for him in the future as a city home base if he were to shift his primary residence to the country?

No sure about the BP apartments but Nott Cott only has two bedrooms. It could be crowded once he has children.

There are no apartments in BP, except that of the Queen. Andrew and Edward only have suites.

I've also noticed that someone has asked (in this thread) if Harry can live inside Windsor Castle? No, he cant. There are only one apartment in the Castle, and it is (as we all know) used by the Queen.

There are no apartments in BP, except that of the Queen. Andrew and Edward only have suites.

I've also noticed that someone has asked (in this thread) if Harry can live inside Windsor Castle? No, he cant. There are only one apartment in the Castle, and it is (as we all know) used by the Queen.

So if Edward only has a suite (bedroom/sitting room?), where do Louise, James and their nanny stay when in London?

Last edited:
:previous: They have more than one room, but according to what a former royal butler said some years ago (I think it was on the BBC in 2012 for the Jubilee), they (Andrew and Edward) have what we'd consider suites, rather than large apartments.

Maybe it was Gordon Harrold (a former butler to the Queen) who said it. Dickie Arbiter said something similar on Sky News while discussing the costs of the monarchy some years ago.

Last edited:
So, what would a suite consist of in your opinion? And when does a suite become to big and instead is considered a(n) (large) apartment?

To me a suite is a bedroom with bathroom and sitting room-basically two rooms. An apartment would have at bare minimum a kitchenette with an eating area, two to three bedrooms (depending on family size), bathroom, and a living room area.

Last edited:
A suite would consist of a sitting room, (with prob a dining table etc); bedroom, poss a dressing room, and bathroom.

Some suites may have 2 bedrooms. I know that guest suites for visiting presidents at both BP and Windsor have 2 bedrooms.

An apartment is the term used for all inclusive - so drawing room, dining room, kitchens, 2-5 bedrooms, bathrooms, dressing rooms, nurseries and some staff accommodation ( I'm thinking nanny). And possibly more. (this is like KP)

So really a suite is what I would consider a small apartment, whereas an "apartment" is really a house that is in another building rather than being a stand alone?

So really a suite is what I would consider a small apartment, whereas an "apartment" is really a house that is in another building rather than being a stand alone?

I don't believe that the suites in BP have kitchen faciltiies. You order from the Palace kitchen. A suite is like very upmarket hotel accommodation.

That is my understanding as well. Maybe tea and coffee making facilities and a toaster but not a full scale kitchen or laundry.

One, two or three bedrooms, one or two bathrooms and a sitting room plus an office at most I would think.

Exactly. And perfect for those who use them. They are meant as a stop over when they are in London. Its a place for them to crash in comfort and privacy when in London on duties or charity work. Enough room if the kids come with them for a weekend like the queen's Christmas party. Their main home is their country home. That is where they have the space for the kids to grow up, run around, staff and such. Where the kids go to school and have their lives.

I think where Harry has his country pad probably depends on what option they look at :

- if London is their main home:
-a larger apartment in Kensington palace, or something like York house at Saint James palace
-a smaller country cottage or such likely at Sandringham or Norfolk. To be close to William or Charles. Distance from London not such a difference as they would only use it for weekends away.

-if country is their main home
-A larger home likely at Windsor (like Andrew and Edward). Quite likely a crown lease IMO. Future kids could go to schools like Wessex kids and Yorks did. Closer to London then Sandringham or High Grove, so if they are in London on business, they aren't far from the kids if the kids are home in the country for school or simply with the nanny.
-smaller apartment at Buckingham or SJP. With room if the kids come on weekends, but mainly a place for work trips to London for the couple.

So, what would a suite consist of in your opinion? And when does a suite become to big and instead is considered a(n) (large) apartment?
Apartments/suites at royal palaces:

BP: The Queen's private rooms (several rooms that is sometimes also called a suite), is considered by me to be an apartment.

Andrew and Edward's rooms (a sitting room, dining room, 2 bedroom (perhaps 3 for Edward) with bathrooms, without a kitchen) is considered by me to be a suite when it comes to royal standars.

The Belgian Suite (used for foreign head of states) consist of several rooms, but I won't call it an apartment. The 1844 Room (a room in the Suite) is used by visiting heads of state when they receives British politicians etc. It's also used by the Queen when she receives diplomats, and in some cases foreign heads of state.

KP: Apartments with several rooms and kitchen.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!

That is my understanding as well. Maybe tea and coffee making facilities and a toaster but not a full scale kitchen or laundry.

One, two or three bedrooms, one or two bathrooms and a sitting room plus an office at most I would think.

So, the main difference seems to be that there is no kitchen(ette) - I would not consider laundry facilities inside the 'home' a requirement for it to be called an apartment. Other than that it can easily be larger than an apartment where 'normal' people live in - 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a sitting room, and an office is more than many families who live in apartment buildings have.

Any idea about square meters (or feet) of the suites in Buckingham Palace?

I think where Harry has his country pad probably depends on what option they look at :

- if London is their main home:
-a larger apartment in Kensington palace, or something like York house at Saint James palace
-a smaller country cottage or such likely at Sandringham or Norfolk. To be close to William or Charles. Distance from London not such a difference as they would only use it for weekends away.

-if country is their main home
-A larger home likely at Windsor (like Andrew and Edward). Quite likely a crown lease IMO. Future kids could go to schools like Wessex kids and Yorks did. Closer to London then Sandringham or High Grove, so if they are in London on business, they aren't far from the kids if the kids are home in the country for school or simply with the nanny.
-smaller apartment at Buckingham or SJP. With room if the kids come on weekends, but mainly a place for work trips to London for the couple.

I agree with your suggestions on this.

But if Harry can't live in Windsor castle-I read that the Queen has hosted everyone for Xmas at Windsor-where does the family all stay when they come for Xmas? Surely there are bedrooms in Windsor Castle?

Most recently, Christmas celebrations have been held at the Sandringham estate and not at Windsor Castle. Even with the "Big House" at Sandringham, there is often problems finding places for everyone to stay the night. Of course, now the Cambridges have Amner Hall a short distance away and its possible that Harry could stay with them as the Middletons do if they're in Norfolk for the holidays.

The Queen usually goes to Sandringham right before Christmas and stays there usually until February 6th as that is the day that marks the anniversary of her father's death and her ascension to the throne.

There are bedrooms of course,(I think there are about 230 of them for guests near the State rooms) but not suites of rooms there that could be easily converted into full time living accommodation for a family. It's an ancient building that is primarily a home for the monarch and her consort away from the hustle and bustle of London but not too far away in case of an emergency. Being tucked away in Windsor Castle would still mean fighting traffic going into London for an engagement.

Last edited:
But if Harry can't live in Windsor castle-I read that the Queen has hosted everyone for Xmas at Windsor-where does the family all stay when they come for Xmas? Surely there are bedrooms in Windsor Castle?

The queen hosts Christmas at Sandringham not Windsor. Easter is at Windsor.

There are guest rooms. But there is only one apartment. Meaning Harry would not have a private home in the castle. No private kitchen, living, anything. Windsor, like Buckingham, is also very much a working and tourist castle, as well as home. Harry living there would basically be living with his grandmother, sharing her kitchens and such on a full time basis.

Windsor Castle has over 900 rooms including guest bedrooms and staff bedrooms, but there are no apartments (except that of the Queen) inside the castle. And I don't think it will be ideal for Harry to live in a guest bedroom.

Edit: The time is 6:00 AM in Norway, so that must be the reason why my eyes aren't working, because Countessmeout has already answered your question.

Last edited:
Is there a house on the Sandringham Estate that Harry could live in like Anmer Hall where William and Kate live?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom