The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-01-2013, 05:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
If he wanted one then I'm sure he would either be given one when he marries or he could buy himself one.
It would be a bit unfair of him to be left to buy himself a country home when the Cambridges were handed one on a plate, along with a palace mansion, whereas he has to live in a tiny cottage.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post

It would be a bit unfair of him to be left to buy himself a country home when the Cambridges were handed one on a plate, along with a palace mansion, whereas he has to live in a tiny cottage.
I meant if he wanted a specific one for himself that is not in royal hands he would be welcome to buy one if he wasn't "handed one on a plate". The only reason the Cambridges now have an apartment at KP and Anmer Hall is because William is married and their first child is on their way. Plus if William leaves the RAF his residency in Anglesey is no longer needed. Henry doesn't "have" to live in a tiny cottage.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:41 PM
Majesty

William will always get more than Harry as he is the 2nd in line to be King and Harry will soon drop to 4th and only drop further and further as the years go by. He isn't as important to the system and won't be doing all the big things that William has to do in time. The only thing that Harry will get more than William will be cash from his father and possibly grandmother. Traditionally the younger children have all been left larger trust funds than the heir as the heir gets the Duchies.

Harry is likely to be given a smaller apartment at KP or StJ when he marries and possibly also another residence at say Sandringham - there are a number of houses there he could have as his country home and that would mean he would be close to William and their kids could enjoy growing up together - assuming that are closish in age which may not be the case.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobriquet View Post
Is there a reason why Harry (or Beatrice or Eugenie, for that matter) couldn't have his own house/flat in London, apart from the royal residences? It seemed to work well enough when William and his cousins were at university.
The reason is that it is cheaper and safer to use a Royal Residence. Other than that, and in other cities, it as worked. The Royals just own so much real estate in London!
Old 07-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
William will always get more than Harry as he is the 2nd in line to be King and Harry will soon drop to 4th and only drop further and further as the years go by. He isn't as important to the system and won't be doing all the big things that William has to do in time. The only thing that Harry will get more than William will be cash from his father and possibly grandmother. Traditionally the younger children have all been left larger trust funds than the heir as the heir gets the Duchies.

Harry is likely to be given a smaller apartment at KP or StJ when he marries and possibly also another residence at say Sandringham - there are a number of houses there he could have as his country home and that would mean he would be close to William and their kids could enjoy growing up together - assuming that are closish in age which may not be the case.
I just don't see that Edward, Andrew or Anne suffered for lack of any domicile accommodation. Sometime more is just more costly and may be meaningless. otherwise.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Well the Linleys and the Chattos are not royal, they just have royal relations. The ex Greek royal family are not really relevent to the discussion since they are largely unknown outside of society circles and are not part of British public life. They are basically commoners with interesting connections. Beatrice & Eugenie & Harry are all British HRHs with the priveleges and the burdens that come with that designation.
The only difference between the Yorks and the Linleys and Chattos is that the Yorks are HRH and the others don't. Apart from it,the Yorks will sooner or latter fall to the same position as the Linleys and Chattos: Children of a sibling of the monarch. IF (and only IF) they are not to take royal duties, the girls will lead lives in everything similar to the Linleys and Chattos and receive the same attention they do from the public.
Of course, they'll always be HRH and some of us may think that an ordinary house in London isn't good enough for an HRH, but my point was about the security and attention. They'll with time attract less and less attention, and thus need less and less security, so a house in London would be fine. The question of lots of police in the area with everyone having their bags checked, etc, wouldn't be a question for the Yorks.

The Greek royals are an example that even high-rank royals can live in a house somewhere in London because security isn't a problem. Of course, this is possible because they don't attract much attention to the british public, but nor would the Yorks.
Of course, some may think that a deposed royal family can live in an ordinary house while members (HRH) of a serving one can't, but that's another discussion (one about status). My point was about the security.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
If Beatrice or Eugenine chose a life outside a royal apartment, in their own soho apartment, I don't think they'd be that intrusive in their other residents life. Anyone ever watched The Prince and Me or The First Daughter? Crappy films but they show high profile people effectively going into hiding to live a normal life.
And they're entirely fictional films :)

I doubt they show the reality of that kind of life.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannyD View Post
Like Elenath says, security issues first.

And to go with what Lumutqueen says, they would have to pay for their own house/flat. However homes in London are costly, especially if they want to be in a good neighbourhood and have a lot of room. The cost of a property in London might take a bigger chunk of their inheritances (from the Queen Mother, and I believe they have trust funds from the Queen, and Harry has more inheritance from his maternal grandfather and Diana).
How can anyone have an inheritance from the Queen Mother, when it has been revealed that she died millions of pounds in debt?

Harry may have an inheritance from Diana (her divorce settlement), but anything from her father is probably negligible, since he was struggling to fund the upkeep of Althorp for some years.

Except for Charles, who has the income from Cornwall, I believe the Queen funds all the other members of her family, either directly or indirectly.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:20 PM
Royal Highness

I'm not too concerned over where Harry will live, or the fact that he won't have Apartment 1A in KP. The old boy will do all right for himself and his future family (and be so much better off than the Cambridge clan).
Old 07-01-2013, 09:43 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
How can anyone have an inheritance from the Queen Mother, when it has been revealed that she died millions of pounds in debt?

Harry may have an inheritance from Diana (her divorce settlement), but anything from her father is probably negligible, since he was struggling to fund the upkeep of Althorp for some years.

Except for Charles, who has the income from Cornwall, I believe the Queen funds all the other members of her family, either directly or indirectly.
The Queen Mother died with millions of pounds in debt because she put most of her money in trusts for her grandchildren and great-grandchildren in order for them to receive the money without having to plan inheritance tax (she had to "give" them the money seven years prior to her death in order to avoid the tax). After putting the money in the trust funds, she didn't have as much cash laying around and she refused to lower her standard of living. Her civil list payments paid for her servants, her daughter Queen Elizabeth and grandson Prince Charles both subsidized her lifestyle, and the overdraft was used to cover the rest. When she died she did have debts, but her "estate" (jewels, art work, horses, etc) were worth more than the debt, so the Queen inherited it all and then paid the debt off with her own personal fortune.

I remember reading somewhere (not sure of the source), that Diana had asked her father to leave a trust fund for Harry because she wanted it out between Harry and William, who would eventually inherit the Duchy of Cornwall income. The Earl Spencer agreed to it, and left Harry the money which would have been Diana's inheritance from her father. So he didn't leave any other grandchild money, but just gave Harry Diana's legacy.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Courtier

IIRC, Princess Anne & Prince Charles both had 3 room apartments in BP. A bedroom, bathroom & sittingroom. This was PC's only home until 1980 when he bought Highgrove.

I think Beatrice & Eugenie can keep their current apts in St. JP throughout their lives. (The Queen cousins have much larger homes.)

How big are the York girl's apts? I'm sure they much much smaller than 1A & they are probably not much bigger than the 3 rm BP Apts, even if the St. JP apt has more than 3 rooms.

Harry can stay at Nottingham Cottage, even after having kids or he can move back to York House or somewhere else in St. JP. York House was big enough for Charles, Camilla, William & Harry. It should be big enough for Harry, wife & kids.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
IIRC, Princess Anne & Prince Charles both had 3 room apartments in BP. A bedroom, bathroom & sittingroom. This was PC's only home until 1980 when he bought Highgrove.

I think Beatrice & Eugenie can keep their current apts in St. JP throughout their lives. (The Queen cousins have much larger homes.)

How big are the York girl's apts? I'm sure they much much smaller than 1A & they are probably not much bigger than the 3 rm BP Apts, even if the St. JP apt has more than 3 rooms.

Harry can stay at Nottingham Cottage, even after having kids or he can move back to York House or somewhere else in St. JP. York House was big enough for Charles, Camilla, William & Harry. It should be big enough for Harry, wife & kids.
Do you mean Clarence House?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Nobility

It is unlikely that the Kents and Glousters will keep those apts after this generation, so those larger apts will be available. JMO.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Do you mean Clarence House?
York house is a wing of SJP. Camilla never lived there. Charles and the boys did though, before the Queen Mum died. When she died, Charles gained the use of Birkhall and Clarence House, and they moved into Clarence House. The move was three years before he married Camilla, so she would never have officially lived in York House.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:

Beatrice and Eugenie share an apartment at St James - not one each - and Andrew is paying the rent for them at the moment.

I believe that the apartment is a 4 bedroom one so there is no way that once married both girls would live there together.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Courtier

They are probably expected to get their own homes once married. Both are dating men from wealthy families and they have money of their own no reason why they couldn't buy their own place probably with some help from Andrew. Harry could have Frogmore maybe. I know it's been rumoured that it is on hold in case Prince Phillip wants to live there but that is looking more and more unlikely. Is there any other reason why Harry couldn't live there? It's in Windsor so it's close to everything. Mind you Charles will move into BP when he becomes King or Windsor then William would get Clarence House and Harry their apartment or William and Kate may not want to move and Harry get Clarence House.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:24 PM
Majesty

I don't think Harry will move into CH or into Apartment 1A as he will already be established by the time Charles becomes King - unless he is still single in which case he would also be established where he is.

When Charles becomes King he will have both BP and Windsor and CH could be left vacant for Baby C to move into when it marries (I am calling it an it simply because it hasn't arrived yet - I would love to be able to edit this post once the baby is here to reflect the gender but that would have to be up to the mods).
Old 07-05-2013, 09:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
They are probably expected to get their own homes once married. Both are dating men from wealthy families and they have money of their own no reason why they couldn't buy their own place probably with some help from Andrew. Harry could have Frogmore maybe. I know it's been rumoured that it is on hold in case Prince Phillip wants to live there but that is looking more and more unlikely. Is there any other reason why Harry couldn't live there? It's in Windsor so it's close to everything. Mind you Charles will move into BP when he becomes King or Windsor then William would get Clarence House and Harry their apartment or William and Kate may not want to move and Harry get Clarence House.
Frogmore is a beautiful residence. I visited there this past May. It's very green and peaceful. It is a small residence compared to the bigger palaces. I do think there is a private section of the house. The tour guides did saw that W&K had spent a night at Frogmore where I do not know. But it isn't impossible for Harry to set it up as his country residence.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
York house is a wing of SJP. Camilla never lived there. Charles and the boys did though, before the Queen Mum died. When she died, Charles gained the use of Birkhall and Clarence House, and they moved into Clarence House. The move was three years before he married Camilla, so she would never have officially lived in York House.
I believe Camilla did stay at York House. They moved in CH 3 years after the Queen Mum died and less than 2 years before C&C married. Charles selected his grandmother's birthday, August 4, 2003, as the day they moved into CH.

Both or one York girls can keep the apt after they marry if they perform royal duties or even if they don't. It will serve as their London base and not their main residence, unless of course they have another home London. Andrew might move into when Charles becomes King.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I believe Camilla did stay at York House. They moved in CH 3 years after the Queen Mum died and less than 2 years before C&C married. Charles selected his grandmother's birthday, August 4, 2003, as the day they moved into CH.
Hmmm. The Queen Mum died in 2002, so if C&C moved into CH 3 years later that would be in 2005 which is when they married.

Tags
highgrove, prince harry, prince william, residences