The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-01-2013, 09:32 AM
Nobility

Frogmore House is available right? That could be used for Harry when he has a family.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
Frogmore House is available right? That could be used for Harry when he has a family.
I suspect Harry will want a home in London

Old 07-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
It actually isn't common for for royal residences to be reallocated unless it is the monarch moving up and the spouse of the past monarch moving out of BP.

Go back to 1910 - Queen Alexandra left BP and returned to Marlborough House which is where George V and Queen Mary were based in London. Alexandra stayed at Marlborough House for the rest of her life. She also stayed in the big house at Sandringham until her death. She didn't move into somewhere smaller.

In 1936 Queen Mary moved into Marlborough House as it was vacant and remained there for the rest of her life.

In 1952 The Queen Mum and Queen Elizabeth swapped homes - QM going to CH where she lived until her death and QEII moving into BP. QM also moved into Royal Lodge at Windsor and stayed there until she died.

Other than that other royals stay in their own homes.

I agree - and another point would be that the last time this handover happened was so long ago, whatever we remember of it just does not apply to today. In 1952, no one knew lead paint or asbestos caused major medical issues. In 1952 renovations and do-overs were not so dearly priced. Heck , in 1952, central heat and air conditioning were not considered normal. Not to mention that no one was worried about the carbon footprints of said systems. That makes the "assignment" of suitable housing a whole different consideration.

Harry will continue to need a home that fits his lifestyle. Security issues alone will continue to be a reason to live in a Royal Residence. It's easy to recommend cousins be turned out, but then consider what a terrorist act against even your personally least-liked member of the family would mean?

Royal Residences will continue to need upkeep - whatever they are used for, closed or open. Options will continue to change based on who is on the throne, which family members continue to "need" residence as they age, children are born and children grow up. Today's reasonable solution may look absurd in 10 years.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:42 PM
Commoner

Prince Andrew has a lease on Windsor Lodge. He (although the Queen may or may not of foot the bill) paid for the renovation that was deemed and necessary and the lease. The lease is, I believe, 75 years, and his heirs can still hold the lease if he dies before the lease is over. So for Harry to move into Royal Lodge, Andrew would have to be bought out.

I really don't think Harry will get the same level of lodging that William & Catherine have been given. The other children of Queen Elizabeth (excluding Charles) have been given "small" apartments (I'm not sure exactly how big of these apartments are, but I am sure they weren't as big as Charles & Diana at Kensington Palace, Charles at Clarence House, or William & Catherine at 1a) in Buckingham Palace as a place to live when they need to be in the city and to work out. Their probably all claim their main residences (and homes) as their country houses. And Anne and Andrew were both given country houses after their marriages, when they needed a home for their family.

I personally believe that Harry won't have a huge city residence, like 1A at Kensington or Clarence House. Maybe if the Cambridges move into Clarence House after Charles' accession, Harry will move into 1A because of the expenses of the renovations and it would seem silly to spend all that money and move out after only a few years.

Remember Harry won't have the same "income" that William will have. Yes, he probably has inherited a bit more money than William would have, but he will probably be living on that plus any inheritance from Charles in the future. He doesn't have future Duchy of Cornwall income, and unless he is supported by his brother or his father (which many people look down on Andrew and Edward for having their mother pay their expenses), he will need his inheritance money to create his income for him.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:00 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I suspect Harry will want a home in London
Frogmore House could be his country/main residence. For London he will probably be given an apartment in either KP or BP.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

There are rumours Frogmore is being left alone for The Duke of Edinburgh or The Queen should one outlive the other.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Commoner

Is there a reason why Harry (or Beatrice or Eugenie, for that matter) couldn't have his own house/flat in London, apart from the royal residences? It seemed to work well enough when William and his cousins were at university.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
There are rumours Frogmore is being left alone for The Duke of Edinburgh or The Queen should one outlive the other.
I know. I've read that rumor. But somehow I don't think will have a family before they both die which means it would be free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobriquet View Post
Is there a reason why Harry (or Beatrice or Eugenie, for that matter) couldn't have his own house/flat in London, apart from the royal residences? It seemed to work well enough when William and his cousins were at university.
Security issues. That's it I believe.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Is there a reason why Harry (or Beatrice or Eugenie, for that matter) couldn't have his own house/flat in London, apart from the royal residences?
Beatrice and Eugenie yes, if they paid for it wholly for themselves and the same goes for Henry. Having an apartment in a palace is easier for them, their staff and their family is literally down the whole. It's traditional to have country retreat and a London base that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
Security issues. That's it I believe.
I don't see how, for all three they'll be protected whereever they go. Photographers will stalk them wherever they live.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:26 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Like Elenath says, security issues first.

And to go with what Lumutqueen says, they would have to pay for their own house/flat. However homes in London are costly, especially if they want to be in a good neighbourhood and have a lot of room. The cost of a property in London might take a bigger chunk of their inheritances (from the Queen Mother, and I believe they have trust funds from the Queen, and Harry has more inheritance from his maternal grandfather and Diana).

Harry will probably always live in a grace-and-favour apartment in the city because he has a lifetime of royal duties to do. I think Beatrice and Eugenie will continue to live at St. James' Palace until they are married because it a more affordable option (the rent is probably a lot cheaper than something comparable) and it provides them with some security because they are in a secure building. Now once they marry, they will probably have to get their own residences outside the palace, and they probably won't be given an grace-and-favour unless it is decided that they should do royal duties.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I don't see how, for all three they'll be protected whereever they go. Photographers will stalk them wherever they live.
I meant it would probably cost more money to secure another building that isn't already secured, money the government might not want to spend when there are perfectly good apartments available that are being secured anyway.
That and it seems to me it might be a bit difficult to secure an entire apartment building as they can't have complete control over how comes and goes. Would guests of other residents have to go through some sort of security clearing before being allowed to enter?? Would every new resident have to go through the same thing?
I can see why members of the BRF prefer having apartments in the palaces. It saves everyone a lot of hassle.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

It would be easier for Beatrice and Eugenie to get an apartment in the city if they liked. Their security is paid for by their father. However for Henry if he chose to buy a house in Berkshire, I imagine you'd get security outside the house for security checks on the car and Henry would undoutedly know them so personally I don't see the extra difficulty.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:34 PM
Commoner

It just seems like one of the young royals might want to get their own place, have a little more independence. But I suppose it could be a hassle. There was a rumor years ago about William getting a flat in Dolphin Square in Pimlico, but I guess that never actually happened.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Well the royal presence and their necessary security would likely be disruptive to the other residents of the apartment building. I know when I was growing up in Ennismore Gardens one of the people who lived across the street was one of the Malaysian kings. We always knew when he was in town because of the security presence and I remember my father complaining about having his car stopped before arriving at our door by the kings security team because Hm was going to go out. Imagine living in an apartment building and having your bags checked by security everytime you came home, or even having your background checked out because a prince or a princess was going to live in the building. Your guests would likely not appreciate it too much either.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

If Beatrice or Eugenine chose a life outside a royal apartment, in their own soho apartment, I don't think they'd be that intrusive in their other residents life. Anyone ever watched The Prince and Me or The First Daughter? Crappy films but they show high profile people effectively going into hiding to live a normal life.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Nobility

I think it would be a lot easier for Beatrice and Eugenie to own their own apartment, but I think Harry, if he wanted to by a place of his own, would have to stick to a house and maybe in a gated community of some sort.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
If Beatrice or Eugenine chose a life outside a royal apartment, in their own soho apartment, I don't think they'd be that intrusive in their other residents life. Anyone ever watched The Prince and Me or The First Daughter? Crappy films but they show high profile people effectively going into hiding to live a normal life.
Exactly. And don't the Linleys and the Chattos live in non-royal flats or houses in London? Bea and Eugenie will sooner than latter fall to the same position as them, specially if they are not to take royal duties.
Crown Prince Pavlos and Marie Chantal of Greece also live in a normal house in London.

Maybe things would be a bit more complicated for Harry since more security would be required, but for the Yorks, an apartment somewhere in London sounds OK.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Well the Linleys and the Chattos are not royal, they just have royal relations. The ex Greek royal family are not really relevent to the discussion since they are largely unknown outside of society circles and are not part of British public life. They are basically commoners with interesting connections. Beatrice & Eugenie & Harry are all British HRHs with the priveleges and the burdens that come with that designation.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Nobility

Is Harry likely to be given a country home in the same way that the Queen's children and William were?
Old 07-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

If he wanted one then I'm sure he would either be given one when he marries or he could buy himself one.

Tags
highgrove, prince harry, prince william, residences