Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've read, the St. James Palace apartments are not as child friendly as KP in terms of green space that children would require. None of the Windsors seemed to want to live there when their children were young, but it was fine for the PoW and his sons when they were teens/young adults.

So more and more....it's looking like 4B is the only option if they want to stay at KP and they have more than 1 child. OR, they get a bigger country home and remain at Nott Cott.

Just another random thought...whatever happened to York House, St.James Palace where Willaim and Harry moveto live with Charles after Diana's death? Is York House part of Clarence House now as well?

In addition, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie also lived at St. James. It would be intresting to see what happens to their old apartment as well.

I don't know what the BRF are using York House for currently. I wonder what condition it is in and how suitable for a young family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_James's_Palace

St James's Palace is still a working palace, and the Royal Court is still formally based there, despite the monarch residing elsewhere. It is also the London residence of the Princess Royal, Princess Beatrice of York, and Princess Alexandra. The palace is used to host official receptions, such as those of visiting heads of state, and charities of which members of the royal family are patrons. The Palace forms part of a sprawling complex of buildings housing Court offices and officials' apartments. The immediate palace complex includes York House, the former home of the Prince of Wales and his sons, Princes William and Harry. Lancaster House, located next-door, is used by HM Government for official receptions, and the nearby Clarence House, the former home of the Queen Mother, is now the residence of the Prince of Wales.[12] The palace also served as the official residence for Princess Eugenie until April 2018.[13]

:previous: Like Diana's old apartments, York house is now offices. It houses the offices for Charles and Camilla.

I guess it us possible they could convert back to residence. There is going to be a cost to any apartment they move into. Even if they took over 1. They wouldn't just move into the Gloucester space, they'd have some renovations.

I think st James is mainly apartments now. Like Buckingham palace. In the normal apartment/flat sense. It's why it's home to those with family homes away and not needed to raise small kids. Kensington is a mix of flats, cottages and 'apartments' more like a townhouse with gardens and such, like Cambridges have.

Because as I said in my post, all working royals get a city residence rent free - inc the Kents and Gloucesters. Harry falls into that category too.

-> Yes, yes, yes! But where? There's a real shortage of child/family friendly space in London at the moment. I guess we should look more closely at how Princess Edward and his wife handled their situation as their children began to arrive...

When Charles is King there may be more residences going spare to hand out to Harry.
->
Now, there's a thought I'd also been having to some degree.
While the Queen isn't going to ask her non-working cousins Prince and Princess Michael (who tried so hard to distract from her own situation with the "Duke and Duchess of Gloucester are empty-nesters now" announcement to the media), where will a King Charles stand on the lack of housing space for workign royals at KP? Sorry to be so cutthroat, but there is a certain "what comes around, goes around" to it were those two to be asked to relcocate. Those two don't need the security of KP, but Harry and Meghan with children most assuredly would.

...Charles could easily provide a country house for them
-> sure, but just like those that may have been offered by the Queen, would it be one that they want?
or they could use their own money.
-> and that may already be in the works in the Cotswold toward their country abode.

Harry and Meghan are kind of in a bad position/ bad timing coming after the Queen's four children - even William and Kate didn't have anything more offered and ready to them than NottCott when George was on the way. When the Queen (then Princess and heir) had Charles, she and Phillip had Clarence House available to them.

Last edited:
Calm down. This family does not ever panic and act. Especially about housing. They are methodical planners. There are not necessarily forward communicators. It's all about "in the fullness of time" with the Windsors.
Trust me, there is a plan to house the Sussex family and the Gloucesters. There is a plan for all those administrative desks. There is even a plan to house or not house the York families.
And don't stray off topic onto those other situations. Harry, Meghan and their issue will eventually have suitable London housing. Calm down. This will take longer than you think it should. But THEY are used to it.

Reactions: Ish
-> Yes, yes, yes! But where? There's a real shortage of child/family friendly space in London at the moment. I guess we should look more closely at how Princess Edward and his wife handled their situation as their children began to arrive...

->

Just because we don't know what the precise housing plan is for Harry is does not mean it does not mean it does not exist. I am sure Harry and his family will not go without a roof over the heads.

While the Queen isn't going to ask her non-working cousins Prince and Princess Michael (who tried so hard to distract from her own situation with the "Duke and Duchess of Gloucester are empty-nesters now" announcement to the media), where will a King Charles stand on the lack of housing space for workign royals at KP? Sorry to be so cutthroat, but there is a certain "what comes around, goes around" to it were those two to be asked to relcocate.

Unlikely in the near term. They now pay a market rent for their property and are entitled to have it as long as they can pay the rent.

Calm down. This family does not ever panic and act. Especially about housing. They are methodical planners. There are not necessarily forward communicators. It's all about "in the fullness of time" with the Windsors.
Trust me, there is a plan to house the Sussex family and the Gloucesters. There is a plan for all those administrative desks. There is even a plan to house or not house the York families.
And don't stray off topic onto those other situations. Harry, Meghan and their issue will eventually have suitable London housing. Calm down. This will take longer than you think it should. But THEY are used to it.

Very well said.

BSo I guess you are saying he knows what he’s doing by having them work for the monarchy? If that’s the case, they should get a suitable home like all the other working royals.

I'm sorry, did I missed the part where Harry and Meghan apparently started living on the streets? They've been provided with a home or did the situation with Nottingham Cottage changed?

This is right on the money. This is a "Firm" that doesn't do anything by half measures or on a whim or flight of fancy. They've just not let us in on what the plans are.

We will not be seeing the Sussex family based at Centrepoint anytime soon. They'll let us know they're moving and where too when the time comes.

I'm sorry, did I missed the part where Harry and Meghan apparently started living on the streets? They've been provided with a home or did the situation with Nottingham Cottage changed?

I’m sorry, did you miss the context of what I said? Or that all future residence discussion is now surrounding the fact that Nottingham Cottage is unsuitable for a family?

Seems like renovations at Buckingham will displace the Wessex family from their apartment at the Buckingham to St James in 2019. Anne is already has her London place to stay over at St. james, Andrew's at Buckingham, Beatrice seems still to have retained the shared apt. at St James.

I'm sure there's a lot of planning going on, little-to-none of which has been shared. Must not be seen as any of the public's business.

In answer to my own posted wonderings about where the Wessex family took their newborns, it seems both children (2003, 2007) were born in Surrey. Bagshot was under 50 yr. leasehold as of 1998. Prince Edward has paid a lot (5M) to extend that to 150yrs as well as paying out of his pocket for a share of the renovations costs.

I’m sure an airstream with an extension cord will be in the garden at Clarence House or Amner Hall any day now.

->
[...]
Harry and Meghan are kind of in a bad position/ bad timing coming after the Queen's four children - even William and Kate didn't have anything more offered and ready to them than NottCott when George was on the way. When the Queen (then Princess and heir) had Charles, she and Phillip had Clarence House available to them.

I am quite sure there have been discussions with and possibly offers to the Sussexes of other/additional housing. Just because we don't know what their plans are doesn't mean they don't have plans.

It is not true that the Cambridges did not have anything more offered to them than Nott Cott when George was coming--renovations were ongoing at Apt 1A and they moved in within 6 months of his birth. This move was known since Nov 2011, but renovations were always expected to take until 2013.

I am quite sure there have been discussions with and possibly offers to the Sussexes of other/additional housing. Just because we don't know what their plans are doesn't mean they don't have plans.

It is not true that the Cambridges did not have anything more offered to them than Nott Cott when George was coming--renovations were ongoing at Apt 1A and they moved in within 6 months of his birth. This move was known since Nov 2011, but renovations were always expected to take until 2013.

I concede that plans were made and well underway - it's very true Apt 1a and even Anmer were planned by the time Prince George was born.

My point, perhaps too strongly stated, is that only NottCott was available for the first 3months after Prince George arrived.

Pregnancy, even for other species, involves finding a safe nesting spot _before_the offspring actually appear which must make the process a little unnerving for BRF brides/prospective mothers.

Kate, native to England had more options and was younger on marriage than Meghan.

At 38, most women want to get such details well established early on.
I read yesterday that the plans for the Great Tew new build (whether or not those are Prince Harry/Meghan related is only speculation) at WestField Large/Beggar's Lodge were begun (commissioned/design submitted for planning approval) in September 2017. That's pre-engagement but I'd sure take matters like that into my own hands if I were planning a family around a new mother close to 40 and/or aware of the inner workings of BRF residential planning.

Last edited:
I’m sure an airstream with an extension cord will be in the garden at Clarence House or Amner Hall any day now.

A very cozy alternative for the couple as they motor their way across London and the UK going from one engagement to another. ;)

Not only would Harry and Meghan put the "royal" in RV, its very possible that they will have yurts of their own in all their relatives' back yards. Charles will even find the perfect spot in his gardens where the Highgrove yurt will go and plant appropriately around it. :lol:

But seriously folks, I'm tending to believe that the planning for the Sussex household(s) most likely began as soon as the Queen knew Harry was serious about marriage and was set to get busy being a full time working royal for the "Firm".

We just seem to think that Nott Cott is it at this point because, frankly, we've not received any kind of credible source telling us otherwise. I have to admire Harry and Meghan though. Not only did they keep their courtship under the radar for the most part, now they're keeping their home(s) under the radar.

The Sussexes should give lessons in being stealthy. :D

I concede that plans were made and well underway - it's very true Apt 1a and even Anmer were planned by the time Prince George was born.

My point, perhaps too strongly stated, is that only NottCott was available for the first 3months after Prince George arrived.

Pregnancy, even for other species, involves finding a safe nesting spot _before_the offspring actually appear which must make the process a little unnerving for BRF brides/prospective mothers.

Kate, native to England had more options and was younger on marriage than Meghan.

At 38, most women want to get such details well established early on.
I read yesterday that the plans for the Great Tew new build (whether or not those are Prince Harry/Meghan related is only speculation) at WestField Large/Beggar's Lodge were begun (commissioned/design submitted for planning approval) in September 2017. That's pre-engagement but I'd sure take matters like that into my own hands if I were planning a family around a new mother close to 40 and/or aware of the inner workings of BRF residential planning.

In London Nott was. But as you seem to over look, the first two and a half months they were living in Wales. William left his flying job in September, and they were in Nott early October. At most they spent a few weeks in Nott.

Harry and Meghan are not going to be short of a home....

Seems like renovations at Buckingham will displace the Wessex family from their apartment at the Buckingham to St James in 2019. Anne is already has her London place to stay over at St. james, Andrew's at Buckingham, Beatrice seems still to have retained the shared apt. at St James.

I'm sure there's a lot of planning going on, little-to-none of which has been shared. Must not be seen as any of the public's business.

In answer to my own posted wonderings about where the Wessex family took their newborns, it seems both children (2003, 2007) were born in Surrey. Bagshot was under 50 yr. leasehold as of 1998. Prince Edward has paid a lot (5M) to extend that to 150yrs as well as paying out of his pocket for a share of the renovations costs.
This is what I think is going on with the Sussexes. While not a long-term lease they are renting a home in the Cotswolds and it could be that the Cotswolds or some other country locale will be the home port of the Sussex family and not London.

Do we know how Nott Cott compares in size to the London “bolthole” apartments used by Edward, Andrew and Anne?

Baby Nest

In London Nott was. But as you seem to over look, the first two and a half months they were living in Wales. William left his flying job in September, and they were in Nott early October. At most they spent a few weeks in Nott.

No, I'd not say I overlooked the end of their Wales lease. I just happen to perceive that 3 months as a particularly transitonal period for them where they were "here, there and everwhere" with no set home base... prepping to depart (rather than settling into) Anglesey Wales, but not yet able to move into the next location.

I define "here, there and everywhere" as follows:

July 22, 2013 George is born.

New heir and his parents spend time in Bucklebury, Angelsey, as well as a good few weeks at Balmoral before their new home is ready.

Aug. 2013 Leave Angsley, Wales.
7.5 yr Military tour of duty completed.

Oct. 5, 2013 Kensington, Apt. 1A is finally ready.

Probably not more than a fortnight, all told, at NottCott seems about right.

Kate has the patience of a saint for making that work! She might well agree an RV is pretty cool under those circumstances ?

Not particularly conducive to getting the newborn into a routine, regular sleep pattern -- which the parents did complain was challenging. But maybe it wasn't so much George? Or at least as much situational?

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-74332670.html

This is ready to move straight in --
- accommodation for security officers and staff in separate cottages
- bedrooms galore to set up nursery, playroom top floor
- lift between floors
- family kitchen + kitchen for caterers/cook when needed
- if you check out the satellite image looks like a huge vege garden
- 129 acres to land a helicopter

Do we know how Nott Cott compares in size to the London “bolthole” apartments used by Edward, Andrew and Anne?

If I remember rightly, when that journalist got a job at BP working as a footman the pictures and reports showed pretty down to earth apartments for Andrew and Edward, I think they have a sitting room, bathroom and a few bedrooms. They aren't massive and certainly smaller than Apartment 1A.

So - in the ABC show last night about Meghan's new life, there was a telephoto, taken of the roof and second story but otherwise obscured by trees. A window was visible. I could compare the size to my own house in my head given that window.

Just guessing by the size of the window relative to the size of that wall, Nott Cott is smaller than my house by a good bit. Maybe 5-8 feet on the long side? I live in a salt box style 3 bedroom built in 1920. So, similar roof style and framing, if mine is newer and less historic. My bigger bedrooms are 11x10. The small BR is more like 8 x11. My 1st floor is two better sized LR and DR - but a teeny kitchen. One bath.

His rooms may gain space from narrower staircases and fewer closets - possible given the age of Nott Cost. But I took heart from knowing he is at least as cramped as we are. :flowers:;)

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-74332670.html

This is ready to move straight in --
- accommodation for security officers and staff in separate cottages
- bedrooms galore to set up nursery, playroom top floor
- lift between floors
- family kitchen + kitchen for caterers/cook when needed
- if you check out the satellite image looks like a huge vege garden
- 129 acres to land a helicopter

Can’t see this as Meghan and Harry’s style. But that closet! I die.

I’m sorry, did you miss the context of what I said? Or that all future residence discussion is now surrounding the fact that Nottingham Cottage is unsuitable for a family?

No, I didn't, but thanks for your concern.

It's just... All this yelling about how Harry and Meghan, oh, our precious flower Meghan, haven't been provided with a house does sound like they're living on the streets.

They have a home. And as far as Nott Cott being unsuitable for a family, it's tough to judge, since we don't know that much about it. Maybe it'll be fine for a while, or maybe they don't plan on getting anything bigger in London. Who knows. But stop panicking, they have a roof over their heads and I'm pretty sure Prince Charles and the Queen would offer them something more if Nott Cott was really too small.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom