Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There isn't really a need for a bigger house for Harry until he starts having kids. I would think that eventually Harry would move from Nott Cottage to 1A after William and Kate move to Clarence House after Charles goes to BP after becoming King. Depending on how long the Queen lives and how long until Harry gets married and has kids, maybe there is a bigger apt in KP or at SJP until 1a is free.

Why would William and Kate have to move when Charles becomes King? They will be settled into their home and if KP so why uproot them. As they could easily have teenage kids by then it would make sense to leave William and Harry where they are at the time of Charles' accession and leave CH for the soon to be born Baby Cambridge as his/her marital home.

Why would William and Kate have to move when Charles becomes King? They will be settled into their home and if KP so why uproot them. As they could easily have teenage kids by then it would make sense to leave William and Harry where they are at the time of Charles' accession and leave CH for the soon to be born Baby Cambridge as his/her marital home.

But Charles himself had teenage kids when he moved to CH. I think the Cambridges should stay at KP if Charles was king and and CH go to Harry. Alternatively Beatrice and Eugenie may want a bigger London home and CH would be ideal for them.

I can't see the York girls getting to move in to Clarence House.
I can see Harry moving in to Clarence House if he hasn't been given his own large apartment in KP by that point. Otherwise I think William and Kate will move to Clarence House and Harry into their KP apartment.

Of course Charles may throw a spanner into the whole thing by choosing to live at CH and use Buckingham Palace as an office

I can't see the York girls getting to move in to Clarence House.

Another possible option could be for the Wessexes to live in CH. They have young children and may want to have a bigger place in London as they may leave BP under the next monarch.

Once William is prince of wales and duke of Cornwall, William and Kate will need more staff and their household will have to split from Harry. Clarence House would allow more room for staff.

The teenage children of the Cambridges are going to most likely be at boarding school for most of the year. They would have spent there time staying at various royal residences such balmoral, Amner hall if rumors are true. It not like they are moving from NYC to Nebraska. It would be exchanging one London stately home for another. Harry can stay at KP like Princess Margaret did. William and Kate will eventually go to BP and then if old enough baby c can go to Clarence House.

Another possible option could be for the Wessexes to live in CH. They have young children and may want to have a bigger place in London as they may leave BP under the next monarch.

I think they love where they are now. Close to London, Closer to Windsor for the weekends, close to Ascot. Far enough from everyone that they are away from any drama that occurs. Bagshot is lovely for the kids.

CH - not so much. Not everyone's favorite royal residence to begin with, it is just not kid friendly.

I think the time when royal families with children were forced to live in old brick-piles that lacked green areas for the kiddies ended at least with Charles' generation, if not before that. It is the elders,like the Queen Mother and Charles, when the boys no longer lived in 12 months a year that get the opportunity to live in CH. It has a great location - and a lot of rooms, but beyond that - there is a reason Charles left the lower floor to the tourists and redid the rest for himself.

Clarence House is a large home plus has rooms for royal engagements. The Wessexes have an exceedingly large house near Windsor and all they require is a small place in London for evening engagements. Their requirements mirror, almost exactly, those of Princess Anne. So I think Clarence House is not necessary and they could continue to use their current suite of rooms.

The York girls will not get a royal palace for their sole use. They will either have a small flat or set of rooms OR when/if they marry, they will go and live somewhere with their husbands. I would be flabbergasted if at that stage, royal accommodation was on offer unless they were paying rent (at commercial rates) in order to maintain some security.

If the Cambridges children are still very young when Charles becomes King, then I think they will stay at KP because of access to play areas. Catherine has never been bothered when out in Kensington Gardens, plus there are privat grounds within KP. If the children are 7years + they will be at boarding school at least during the week and therefore Clarence House is more likely.

Harry will have Nottingham Cottage soon, and then I think an apartment in KP.
This will either be 1A or another apartment that becomes available.

I dont think it will be a case of musical chairs as has been suggested :flowers:

I have seen a suggestion that says that Kate has said 'no' to boarding schools and has also said 'no' to any overseas tours during school terms. It will be interesting to see how that pans out.

After the current move for the Cambridges and Harry to KP, it seems as though no more of the current royals will be allocated further residences, namely the York girls and Wessex kids in future.

Does this suggest that in future only the childen of the monarch will be given grace and favour homes? As the Queen's other grandchildren aren't being given them it looks like Harry's future children wounldn't be given grace and favour homes too.

After the current move for the Cambridges and Harry to KP, it seems as though no more of the current royals will be allocated further residences, namely the York girls and Wessex kids in future.

Does this suggest that in future only the childen of the monarch will be given grace and favour homes? As the Queen's other grandchildren aren't being given them it looks like Harry's future children wounldn't be given grace and favour homes too.

Beatrice and Eugenie are in their early twenties, so compare them to Henry and William who have gotten their own home until 30+. Louise and James aren't exactly going to be living on their own anytime soon. I imagine all four will live in royal palaces for the rest of their life. As to Henry's children it depends what life they children chose for themselves, but they will be part of royal life. William, Catherine and however many children they have can't cover it all.

Just posted this in another thread: It will be interesting to see what happens at KP once the apartments of the Michaels and Gloucesters become available, along with Wren House. Prince Harry may find himself as the only resident in the palace in the future!

Likewise, in 20 or so years down the line, Clarence House and St James Palace may also become empty (unless the York princesses are there), so there will in all likelihood be considerably fewer Royal residences in the capital.

As someone mentioned earlier on, it is definitley better for the palaces to be occupied rather than falling into neglect.

Last edited:
St James is used for a lot of offices so it won't be left to rot.

KP is open to the public so again won't be unoccupied - just able to open more of it.

I have seen a suggestion that says that Kate has said 'no' to boarding schools and has also said 'no' to any overseas tours during school terms. It will be interesting to see how that pans out.

That is interesting considering she was a boarder and has been quoted live (as in not just "reported") to have loved it. She even boarded at St Andrew's on a limited basis. I can see their children boarding on a weekly basis.

Boarding for college, and boarding at say 8 years old are two very different things. I think she meant the child will not be sent off prior to university.

:previous:There is a big difference between 8 and 18 and Catherine was happily boarding with her peers way before she went to St Andrews. As to a starter school . . . have girls cracked the gates of Eton yet?

:previous:There is a big difference between 8 and 18 and Catherine was happily boarding with her peers way before she went to St Andrews. As to a starter school . . . have girls cracked the gates of Eton yet?

Eton College is still an all boys school. Marlborough College from 13 would be appropriate. This however has nothing to do with a Future Home for Henry.

I should have been clearer. Catherine boarded on a weekly basis at St Andrews prep school prior to boarding at Marlborough School. Then she went to university.

mammacats

Hasn't it been established, though, that Highgrove is part of the Duchy of Cornwall? I would assume that would mean it's not Charles' to give to his sons as he pleases, it goes with the other Duchy estates to the new Duke of Cornwall, which would be William.

I thought that Charles and Diana bought it after they were married? Did he deed it to the Duchy or something? Isn't this the place that she found she didn't like because the photogs could snap them anytime they went outside the home?

The Duchy of Cornwall actually purchased Highgrove in 1980 before Charles married Diana.

Charles now rents the house from the Duchy. Whether future Dukes of Cornwall will continue to do so will be determined by each one.

However as it is Duchy property it can't be sold.

The Duchy purchased Highgrove for Charles, but it remains an asset of the Duchy of Cornwall and not his personal property so he cannot dispose of it as he pleases.

But William can sell it (to Harry or somebody else) when he is Duke of Cornwall, no? As well as Charles, still as Duke of Cornwall? So, is it a possibility for Harry to live in Highgrove either paying a rent to the Duchy or buying it?

I thought that Charles and Diana bought it after they were married? Did he deed it to the Duchy or something? Isn't this the place that she found she didn't like because the photogs could snap them anytime they went outside the home?

The Duchy acquired it for Prince Charles in 1980. There is plenty of privacy at Highgrove.

The Duchy acquired it for Prince Charles in 1980. There is plenty of privacy at Highgrove.
There is privacy now but not when first purchased in 1980. Charles commented in the Highgrove documentary that at first they were quite visible from the public road. It has taken years for the trees and bushes and shrubbery Charles had planted to grow in and provide the privacy Charles now enjoys there.

Highgrove House was purchased by Charles as his private property. It is not part of the Duchy of Cornwall's holdings.

Highgrove House was purchased by Charles as his private property. It is not part of the Duchy of Cornwall's holdings.

The Duchy of Cornwall owns Highgrove, and bought the house, garden and nearby farmland now known as Duchy Home Farm in 1980.
Highgrove

As per the Prince of Wales' official website: "The Duchy of Cornwall owns Highgrove, and bought the house, garden and nearby farmland now known as Duchy Home Farm in 1980."

Charles does not own Highgrove as private property, it is owned by the Duchy. I believe the only private property that he owns is Birkhall.

I still think PC will moves into the homes of HMQ, William will move into the current homes of PC, and Harry will move to 1a. That will keep the wolves at bay because of the renovation cost, and the apt should be used by a senior member of the RF. the York girls will probable move in the the apts currently used by the Glousters and Kents. JMO.

As per the Prince of Wales' official website: "The Duchy of Cornwall owns Highgrove, and bought the house, garden and nearby farmland now known as Duchy Home Farm in 1980."

Charles does not own Highgrove as private property, it is owned by the Duchy. I believe the only private property that he owns is Birkhall.

Not even Birkhall. It is part of the Balmoral estate. Charles was allowed the use of Birkhall at Balmoral after the death of the Queen Mother. The only private property the QM ever owned was the Castle of Mey which is now open to the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom