The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 07:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I would gladly love to walk through the doors of Frogmore and take up residence there on one condition. I don't have to clean it. I'm the proverbian Anti-Martha. (Martha Stewart)

No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 12-23-2017, 06:54 PM
Nobility

I remember Prince Andrew and Sarah decided against moving into Frogmore.

I believe that there are strict limits as to what can be moved, added or changed regarding the building, which might make it undesirable for young people who are used to mod cons -- walk-in showers and the like.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
I remember Prince Andrew and Sarah decided against moving into Frogmore.

I believe that there are strict limits as to what can be moved, added or changed regarding the building, which might make it undesirable for young people who are used to mod cons -- walk-in showers and the like.
Frogmore House has the highest level of building protection - it is Grade I listed.

You are allowed to make changes but in order to do so you have to have detailed plans and you have to gain consent. Although Frogmore is managed by Crown Estates (and maintenance is the responsibility of the Queen), consent would still be needed from the local Planning Authority.

The problem with the example of walk in showers is ensuring that the bathroom floor (a few centuries old) is completely sealed (I'm trying to do this with my itsy bitsy bathroom and its a pain) because underneath are v expensive, high quality masterpiece ceilings. Some renovations have been done in recent years costing over 2.5m.

I think the issue is that the age and scale of the rooms limits what could be done. IT isn't a cosy house but it is v beautiful.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-31-2017, 09:21 PM
Courtier

House for Prince Harry and Meghan -- does anyone else like this one --

9 bedroom detached house for sale in Fountain Dale House, Rickett Lane, Blidworth, NG21
Old 12-31-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
House for Prince Harry and Meghan -- does anyone else like this one --

9 bedroom detached house for sale in Fountain Dale House, Rickett Lane, Blidworth, NG21

Its seems as though it may need a few modern updates

It seems as though it may work, such luscious landscape
Old 12-31-2017, 11:07 PM
Majesty

It looks absolutely lovely. However Harry doesn't have any links to Nottinghamshire, so far as we know.

I really feel that Harry will settle down either in Norfolk, where he and his brother have friends and relatives; near Highgrove, preferably on Duchy land so a deal can be made on the property, or as a very long long shot, Cornwall where he reputedly has friends and enjoys sailing.

Cornwall has magnificent wild scenery. It's quite a way from London though and I don't think it's in the running. But then, IMO, neither is the above house.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Agreed.

If he has a country home, especially if one off of a royal property, it will be somewhere with a draw for him. The two obvious places would either be Norfolk or near High Grove. I still lean towards near High Grove honestly. I think he and Meghan would simply stay at the main house or wood farm in years to come when visiting Sandringham as do now. There is no link to Nottingham other then them having done their first event there together.

I still don't know if we will see them with a big country home. It stands to be seen how big their home in London is (wont be in Notts forever). If they have a massive London home, making it their main base, I wouldn't be expecting a massive country place. Maybe something found on one of the estates.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:53 PM
Courtier

House for Prince Harry and Meghan

Thank you to everyone who commented.

I promise not to do this too often, but here is another one ---

11 bedroom detached house for sale in London Road, Ascot, Berkshire, SL5, SL5
Old 01-01-2018, 08:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
Thank you to everyone who commented.

I promise not to do this too often, but here is another one ---

11 bedroom detached house for sale in London Road, Ascot, Berkshire, SL5, SL5
Definitely better option. Close to Windsor, and to London really. Good country home they could use often enough from London (similar to Bagshot). Definitely more practical then Nottingham and more of a connection.

The house also seems more updated then the last one.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:38 PM
Nobility

I do think they need to be situated on Crown or Duchy of Cornwall property if they opt for a house outside London. They need the built-in protection. They can't be exposed in some perfectly pretty rural property that is vulnerable to things like new high-voltage wire lines or impromptu traveller campsites or the like. They also might not get the use of Royal Collection pieces if they are on some bit of private rural land.

What they need to do is lease a Crown or Duchy property. If they don't like the Berkshire/Surrey area, they can come to an arrangement with a Highgrove property. That way, they have less worries about privacy and protection, and they can furnish their country house with furniture and other ephemera that belongs to the Crown.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

hmm, maybe they could move in with Uncle Ed & Auntie Sophie
Home Farm Farmhouse, Bagshot Park | Windsor Great Park
It seems the Farmhouse at Bagshot is up for rent from the Windsor Great Park Website.
PRICE: 4,250 PCM

FURNISHING: Unfurnished

BEDROOMS: 5
Old 01-01-2018, 09:22 PM
Majesty

Something like that would definitely be an option I would think. However, I can't see the couple doing anything until after the wedding and until Meghan has a bit of a chance to look around and see what part of England she likes best.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I do think they need to be situated on Crown or Duchy of Cornwall property if they opt for a house outside London. They need the built-in protection. They can't be exposed in some perfectly pretty rural property that is vulnerable to things like new high-voltage wire lines or impromptu traveller campsites or the like. They also might not get the use of Royal Collection pieces if they are on some bit of private rural land.

What they need to do is lease a Crown or Duchy property. If they don't like the Berkshire/Surrey area, they can come to an arrangement with a Highgrove property. That way, they have less worries about privacy and protection, and they can furnish their country house with furniture and other ephemera that belongs to the Crown.
I would think as long as the home is secure, which it would have to be, they would be allowed the use of family pieces.

But yes for practical sense, a crown property or Cornwall property is far more practical. Honestly think where and which depends on their London home. If they plan on a major apartment in London, I wouldn't think they would have a large property outside of London. Likely a smaller country home. Something in the duchy of Cornwall would probably suit them size and security wise. The homes available at Windsor seem larger, and the ones at Sandringham would need to be converted back to single homes. If they opt like Edward and Sophie to have their main home in the country, then that opens more doors. A larger home at Windsor would be great, as it would be close to good schools the royals often attend, as well as London and other events.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:17 PM

Very elegant colonial style
Old 01-02-2018, 01:12 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I would think as long as the home is secure, which it would have to be, they would be allowed the use of family pieces.

But yes for practical sense, a crown property or Cornwall property is far more practical. Honestly think where and which depends on their London home. If they plan on a major apartment in London, I wouldn't think they would have a large property outside of London. Likely a smaller country home. Something in the duchy of Cornwall would probably suit them size and security wise. The homes available at Windsor seem larger, and the ones at Sandringham would need to be converted back to single homes. If they opt like Edward and Sophie to have their main home in the country, then that opens more doors. A larger home at Windsor would be great, as it would be close to good schools the royals often attend, as well as London and other events.
You know what might suit them --- a barn conversion. The Crown must own a nice old barn somewhere, a big timbered thing or a stout Norfolk brick-and-flint structure that is ready to do Royal duty.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
You know what might suit them --- a barn conversion. The Crown must own a nice old barn somewhere, a big timbered thing or a stout Norfolk brick-and-flint structure that is ready to do Royal duty.
Funny you should suggest that as the property linked by tommy100 states that it is a "Victorian Barn conversion" - pretty fancy looking barn if that be true IMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
hmm, maybe they could move in with Uncle Ed & Auntie Sophie
Home Farm Farmhouse, Bagshot Park | Windsor Great Park
It seems the Farmhouse at Bagshot is up for rent from the Windsor Great Park Website.
PRICE: 4,250 PCM

FURNISHING: Unfurnished

BEDROOMS: 5
Old 01-02-2018, 03:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wouldn't mind owning such a place, that's for sure.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Something like that would definitely be an option I would think. However, I can't see the couple doing anything until after the wedding and until Meghan has a bit of a chance to look around and see what part of England she likes best.

Not only that, but things are apt to change before much longer.
Living accommodations will change with them.

Harry and Meghan may as well wait a bit before making any major decisions which might prove short-term.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:12 PM
Majesty

Somehow I think that his home will come via the royal estate as Andrew, Edward and William's have. Old houses and apartments in KP fare better in the long run from being used as homes rather than storage areas and offices.

As was shown with Apt 1A, while used as a storage area it was never deemed important to remove asbestos or keep wiring updated, therefore the cost of bringing it up to standard while keeping within the boundaries of listed buildings, cost a fortune.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:45 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree! And as long as the Economy holds, I think the BRF can sell the UK on the investments needed to make the properties safe and habitable. In small bites.
We clearly need an asbestos and lead removal, bad wiring and poor plumbing fairy these days.

Tags
highgrove, prince harry, prince william, residences