The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-25-2017, 05:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
He won't be leaving his entire estate to Camilla. Balmoral and Sandringham is privately owned by monarch and is always passed down to the next monarch with the exception of Edward VIII. His divorce settlement has nothing to do with what he passes to his son. His divorce was an agreement with his then wife that's what was deserved for the earnings acquired throughout their marriage. Just like if Diana had lived and blew all of the money, Charles would still make sure Harry and his younger grandchildren are taken care of as his mother and grandmother have done for his siblings' children.
Actually Charles can leave Sandringham and Balmoral to whomever he pleases - just as the Queen can.

That they will leave them to their successor is to avoid death duties plain and simple.

The BRF are all about avoiding paying taxes at all. It took the Queen 40 years before she was humiliated into paying any tax at all and even then it is the smallest amount she can get away with as well as paying the staff as little as possible.

Charles is actually more socially aware in that he voluntarily paid tax from when he took over control of the Duchy - initially at 50% and then down to 25% to cover Diana's expenses. He was the one who also insisted that Diana's estate pay taxes even though they could have claimed an exemption due to the short period of time that had elapsed from her settlement to her death.

Charles can leave Sandringham and Balmoral to Camilla if he so chooses (Edward VII left Sandringham to his wife not his son who inherited because Alexandra died intestate).

Old 10-25-2017, 05:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
He won't be leaving his entire estate to Camilla. Balmoral and Sandringham is privately owned by monarch and is always passed down to the next monarch with the exception of Edward VIII. His divorce settlement has nothing to do with what he passes to his son. His divorce was an agreement with his then wife that's what was deserved for the earnings acquired throughout their marriage. Just like if Diana had lived and blew all of the money, Charles would still make sure Harry and his younger grandchildren are taken care of as his mother and grandmother have done for his siblings' children.
I think Iluvbertie's point has always been that Diana's divorce settlement was Charles' money, that because of the timing of Diana's death, went at once to her sons. So in effect, Charles has already provided for them. Both William and Harry are as wealthy as they are because of Charles' money to their mother.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Charles will still leave personal/private monies to his sons and/or grandchildren regardless of the money left to them by Diana.

LaRae
Old 10-25-2017, 05:56 PM
Serene Highness

I agree with many of you in that it makes sense for Harry to take an apartment at Kensington palace to use as a London base. And I would imagine that he and his future wife would want to chose a country home they could do up in their own taste and style. And retreat to the country home on weekends away from the constant hustle and bustle of London. That is when they have weekends free of public engagements.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:17 PM
Aristocracy

If 4b has 6 bedrooms and 4a maybe 3 04 that is 9 and 10 rooms for Harry's london residence thats huge.

Also how many rooms does 4a have? If it has 4 rooms and 4b has 6 bedrooms that's 10 rooms thats a big residence for Harry's london base.

Does Charles have trust funds set up for William and Harry and his grandkids/future grandkids?
Old 10-25-2017, 06:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
If 4b has 6 bedrooms and 4a maybe 3 04 that is 9 and 10 rooms for Harry's london residence thats huge.
I wonder what the total square footage is. Rooms in Europe are notoriously small compared to American standards.

LaRae
Old 10-25-2017, 07:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I think Iluvbertie's point has always been that Diana's divorce settlement was Charles' money, that because of the timing of Diana's death, went at once to her sons. So in effect, Charles has already provided for them. Both William and Harry are as wealthy as they are because of Charles' money to their mother.
The money the boys got from Diana was Diana's money. Even if it came as part of her settlement from Charles. It has nothing to do with Charles providing for his sons. That's Diana providing for her sons.

Quote:

Does Charles have trust funds set up for William and Harry and his grandkids/future grandkids?
He probably hasn't set anything up for Wills and George since they will be able to draw from Duchy of Cornwall and Duchy of Lancaster in the future. I believe that's typical for the royal family. To give more money to those that will not inherit the throne since the monarchy and heir will have a steady stream of income set up generations before them.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:58 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
He probably hasn't set anything up for Wills and George since they will be able to draw from Duchy of Cornwall and Duchy of Lancaster in the future. I believe that's typical for the royal family. To give more money to those that will not inherit the throne since the monarchy and heir will have a steady stream of income set up generations before them.
So then The Queen wouldn't set up a trust fund for William and Harry since they will be the sons of a future monarch.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
So then The Queen wouldn't set up a trust fund for William and Harry since they will be the sons of a future monarch.
Possibly she would for Harry--he is not the future King. William will have the Duchy of Cornwall and then the Duchy of Lancaster to provide for him.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I said Wills and George. I didn't include Charlotte and Cambridge #3. I'm not sure how you drew that conclusion about Harry from my comment.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:28 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Also how many rooms does 4a have? If it has 4 rooms and 4b has 6 bedrooms that's 10 rooms thats a big residence for Harry's london base.

Why does he need 2 apartments in London or a 19 bedroom place ?
Old 10-26-2017, 02:47 AM
Majesty

19 bedrooms The suggestions seem to think that 4a is 3-4 bedrooms. That would be 9-10 bedrooms if they combined the two apartments.

They don't need to combine the two by any means. Some people seem to think six bedrooms is not large enough. A master bedroom, 2-3 nurseries, that would leave 2-3 extra rooms for guests. Servants rooms are traditionally not included in the counts. So a nanny's room and if their housekeeper lives with them, wouldn't need to be included.

A country home would need about that many bedrooms. But the general size other then that is debatable. Outer buildings to house RPOs if not on a royal estate, would serve that purpose.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Where does it say anywhere that 4b and 4a add up to 19 bedrooms? No-one's is quite sure as to whether 4b has five or six bedrooms, but in the discussion it was stated that 4a, which has few rooms, could, and only could, be added.

If 4b has five bedrooms and in the future there are two children and nanny hived off into a night and day nursery from them, rather than in attic quarters, then the bedrooms are going to be mighty cosy to say the least and so 4a might be needed.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:22 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Where does it say anywhere that 4b and 4a add up to 19 bedrooms? No-one's is quite sure as to whether 4b has five or six bedrooms, but in the discussion it was stated that 4a, which has few rooms, could, and only could, be added.

If 4b has five bedrooms and in the future there are two children and nanny hived off into a night and day nursery from them, rather than in attic quarters, then the bedrooms are going to be mighty cosy to say the least and so 4a might be needed.
Typo! Meant to say 10 bedrooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Frogmore would be great.
IMO, Frogmore is too large a property, and possibly, too expensive to run for Harry.

Quote:
I think it possible that they will wait until Charles is king. So there is not the argument that the queen should have to buy all her grandchildren a home. When Charles is king, he will arrange a country home for Harry. By then Harry and Meghan will have a good idea of where they want one. And until then, live in London, and stay on the family estates on holiday simply.
I agree, it is possible that Harry and his wife do not get a country home in the current reign.

Once Charles is King, it is possible that William takes on Highgrove, and Harry takes on Anmer.

If Harry wants to be in the West Country, a house was built by the Duchy of Cornwall in Herefordshire a few years ago. Perhaps Harry takes that on.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:44 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
19 bedrooms The suggestions seem to think that 4a is 3-4 bedrooms. That would be 9-10 bedrooms if they combined the two apartments.

They don't need to combine the two by any means. Some people seem to think six bedrooms is not large enough. A master bedroom, 2-3 nurseries, that would leave 2-3 extra rooms for guests. Servants rooms are traditionally not included in the counts. So a nanny's room and if their housekeeper lives with them, wouldn't need to be included.

A country home would need about that many bedrooms. But the general size other then that is debatable. Outer buildings to house RPOs if not on a royal estate, would serve that purpose.
Why does Prince Edward need a huge residence? I wouldn't be shocked if they did combined the two for cooks, cleaners, servants, security, ect...
Old 10-27-2017, 03:05 PM
Majesty

I believe that the Wessexes rent out part of the property to a business. But this is off-topic.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-27-2017, 05:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I wouldn't be shocked if they did combined the two for cooks, cleaners, servants, security, ect...
The only live-in staff Harry would have to accommodate is a nanny. Everyone else (cook, maid, housekeeper, etc.) would have their own house/apartment where they live with their family. Kensington Palace isn’t some remote country estate where people wouldn’t be able to commute to work.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post
The only live-in staff Harry would have to accommodate is a nanny. Everyone else (cook, maid, housekeeper, etc.) would have their own house/apartment where they live with their family. Kensington Palace isn’t some remote country estate where people wouldn’t be able to commute to work.
If he wants to combine 4a and 4b who are you to judge?
Old 10-27-2017, 05:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Nowhere have I mentioned 4a or 4b in any context. Are you being deliberately obtuse or are you trolling with your plethora of argumentative posts?

Btw, personally, I don’t care where Harry lives, it’s up to him and his family, not me or you to decide.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:28 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
What was stated about staff living elsewhere with their families is fact. Especially for London residences. Although there are positions where staff does live at Buckingham Palace and perhaps other residences, its not the norm. Many books that cover members of the British Royal Family that have been written by staff members or included them point to this. While the housekeeper at Highgrove lived in, an equerry to the Queen Mother did not and commuted to work each day to Clarence House.

No one was disputing that 4a and 4b may be combined. Its entirely possible.

Tags
highgrove, prince harry, prince william, residences