The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #881  
Old 10-24-2017, 05:36 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,742
Anne, Andrew, Edward and Sophie didn't serve in Afghanistan twice. It's been said that Harry gets special protection, which I'm sure he doesn't want, because of possible threats. Harry will be a senior Royal for the conceivable future and certainly until George begins Royal duties, so he will have RPOs.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #882  
Old 10-24-2017, 05:47 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 11,047
Yes - the children of the monarch have 24/7 protection as do Charles' children and grandchildren.

Philip, Camilla and Kate also have 24/7 protection but Sophie and the Gloucesters and Kents only have it when doing public appearances as the spouses of the younger children are no longer deemed a high target.

As for would I help my kids if I won millions - depends - if they were already millionaires - no (one is and one is well on the way having both bought their first homes as teenagers and putting their money into that set up rather than drink, cigarettes and other socialising - their choices but they now both own a number of homes across NSW and they have the same approach - buy run-down, do up and sell. The eldest bought their first property in Armidale in NSW for $150,000 while at uni and spent as much time and money as they could while they were at uni to do it up. When they left uni they sold it for 324,000 and immediately bought a two new homes in Dubbo and did the same thing - did them up and sold them. The last home they did that with - bought at 678,000 and sold fro 4.5 million. Where did they get the money to begin with - saved their money from working at high school and used that as a deposit and had a job while studying part-time so arranged their lectures etc to be late afternoons and able to hold down a full-time job with working on Saturdays as well. Did he ask for any help - no. He would have seen that as a failure as a young adult to expect his parents to help him in anyway. He believes that our money is ours and we should spend it - just as his money is his and he will use it on his wife and children but has left everything to charity and not to the kids in his will if they are past 18 when he dies.)
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #883  
Old 10-24-2017, 06:00 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,742
Andrew is worth by some estimates about 75 million dollars, (in spite of also being a divorcee) Edward about 45 million, Anne, about 30 million. Did they get help from the Queen? Yes. (Gatcombe park is now worth about 15 million. Perhaps she should pay her mother back what the estate cost then?)

We will see in the course of the next few years as to whether he agrees with your opinion, Iluvbertie, in not helping the younger of his two children at all, while the heir has already been helped. He has also, it's believed, set up trust funds for his stepchildren. I believe he will follow the Queen in assisting his offspring.
Reply With Quote
  #884  
Old 10-24-2017, 06:01 PM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I am not so sure about that.

Remember he had to borrow money from the Queen and Queen Mum to pay Diana's divorce settlement and was basically bankrupt at that time because he gives so much to charity. He doesn't keep very much of the Duchy for the future at all.

Prior to marry Diana he voluntarily paid 50% of the income in tax and then reduced that to 25% to cover the expenses he then had with a wife and children. Most of what he buys he also adds to the Royal Collection so that it will remain with the family and the nation but not be sellable - like most of the Duchy of Cornwall properties.

Why should anyone buy Harry a home when he is a multi-millionaire in his own right?

Most parents would expect their children, especially when they are as wealthy as Harry, to stand on their own two feet by the time they are in their mid-30s and support themselves but somehow Harry isn't expected to behave as a grown-up and have his father still support him and buy him a home.

Charles would also have to make sure that Camilla is taken care of in case she outlives him.

Harry can live rent free behind the walls of KP or he can lease a property from the Crown Estates like Andrew and Edward do. After the Sunninghill Park debacle, the days of gifting a large manor house probably are over.
Reply With Quote
  #885  
Old 10-24-2017, 06:04 PM
Queen Claude's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I am not so sure about that.

Remember he had to borrow money from the Queen and Queen Mum to pay Diana's divorce settlement and was basically bankrupt at that time because he gives so much to charity. He doesn't keep very much of the Duchy for the future at all.

Prior to marry Diana he voluntarily paid 50% of the income in tax and then reduced that to 25% to cover the expenses he then had with a wife and children. Most of what he buys he also adds to the Royal Collection so that it will remain with the family and the nation but not be sellable - like most of the Duchy of Cornwall properties.

Why should anyone buy Harry a home when he is a multi-millionaire in his own right?

Most parents would expect their children, especially when they are as wealthy as Harry, to stand on their own two feet by the time they are in their mid-30s and support themselves but somehow Harry isn't expected to behave as a grown-up and have his father still support him and buy him a home.
Most parents also give their children the flexibility to make their own way. Is Harry free to take a seven figure job as a brand ambassador for one of Richard Branson's Virgin products?

I don't know UK divorce laws but I can't imagine a soon to be ex-wife being awarded a divorce settlement of more than what the soon to be ex-husband is worth. In the US the typical generous divorce settlement is half of what was accumulated during the marriage. I suspect that Charles's real problem was lack of liquid assets and an unwillingness to liquidate assets and divest himself, and by extension the BRF, of historical assets.

I buy that Charles is generous and charitable, but I don't buy for one minute that Charles is not putting aside a good chunk of change from his Duchy of Cornwall income for investment / wealth accumulation.
Reply With Quote
  #886  
Old 10-24-2017, 06:36 PM
cepe's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,018
Charles had/has very few assets to liquidate. All the properties we associate with him as owned by either the State, Duchy or HMQ (Birkhall)

He is not allowed to sell capital assets owned by the Duchy and take the money for his own purposes. He is only allowed access to the interest. In recent years he has taken pa c. £19m and used c.£11m for his charities.

I'm sure that he has used money over the years for trust funds but again probably tied up so that either the capital cannot be accessed, or not until a certain age (thinking of grandchildren here).

Harry doesn't own any assets at all apart from Trust funds.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #887  
Old 10-24-2017, 07:18 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,742
Each generation of Kings/Queens and their heirs have helped their offspring to either buy or lease property on a very long lease. I expect that Charles will help his younger son just as his own siblings were helped, and we are likely to see that when Harry decides to buy or lease a country property. I doubt that Charles will be bankrupting himself to do so.
Reply With Quote
  #888  
Old 10-24-2017, 09:00 PM
Queen Claude's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Charles had/has very few assets to liquidate. All the properties we associate with him as owned by either the State, Duchy or HMQ (Birkhall)

He is not allowed to sell capital assets owned by the Duchy and take the money for his own purposes. He is only allowed access to the interest. In recent years he has taken pa c. £19m and used c.£11m for his charities.

I'm sure that he has used money over the years for trust funds but again probably tied up so that either the capital cannot be accessed, or not until a certain age (thinking of grandchildren here).

Harry doesn't own any assets at all apart from Trust funds.
I am aware that Prince Charles does not have free use of the Duchy of Cornwall assets but Charles has been the Duke of Cornwall since 1952 and has been the beneficiary of Duchy income since he was three years old . I doubt if he started significantly tapping into his Duchy of Cornwall income until after he left the military in his late twenties, and the presumably wisely invested income from that 20 plus years alone was enough to make him quite wealthy.

As you stated Charles has probably put some of the money towards trust funds which means he has accumulated wealth/assets but either could not or would not tap into any trusts or other assets to fund his divorce settlement.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Charles would also have to make sure that Camilla is taken care of in case she outlives him.

Harry can live rent free behind the walls of KP or he can lease a property from the Crown Estates like Andrew and Edward do. After the Sunninghill Park debacle, the days of gifting a large manor house probably are over.
I think that Charles will provide for Camilla and her children but I think that his primary beneficiaries will be his two sons and possibly his grandchildren by them.

I think that it will be far worse optics having non-working royal grandchildren living on Crown Estate properties, which may end up being the case with the York princesses. Bear in mind the 75 year lease that Andrew got came about because he spent millions refurbishing the place. I guess if there is a Crown Estate property that Harry is totally in love with then I can see that happening, but if Harry has the millions, whether it is his own money, a gift from Charles, or a mix of the two, I lean towards him getting his own pile.

P.S.
What Crown Estate properties are possibilities? My understanding is that Fort Belvedere is occupied. Frogmore House? somewhere on the Hampton Court Palace property?
Reply With Quote
  #889  
Old 10-25-2017, 01:18 AM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 3,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
P.S. What Crown Estate properties are possibilities? My understanding is that Fort Belvedere is occupied. Frogmore House? somewhere on the Hampton Court Palace property?
Frogmore House. I am in love with it!
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Reply With Quote
  #890  
Old 10-25-2017, 01:42 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 6,572
Frogmore would be great.

He could also just be given a property on one of the estates. York cottage, if taken back from offices and rentals, converted back, would suit. There could be an agreement, writing or not, that it could be used by his children and so on as long as they wished to. Perhaps a 'lease' of sorts but within the family as it is on private land.

Harry isn't going to buy a place. Harry is not a millionaire in the normal sense. He cant use those funds, they are his income. If he uses his money to buy a house, he will have to rely on his dad and his brother later to support him. If a house is bought it will be bought by his family for him.

I think it possible that they will wait until Charles is king. So there is not the argument that the queen should have to buy all her grandchildren a home. When Charles is king, he will arrange a country home for Harry. By then Harry and Meghan will have a good idea of where they want one. And until then, live in London, and stay on the family estates on holiday simply.

As for Charles and his money.....yes he will take care of his sons but Camilla too. Camilla may not be their mother, but she will be his widow of a number of years when he dies. Its natural that he would see her taken care of financially. Perhaps his personal money could be placed into a trust, allowing Camilla considerable access in her life time. When she dies, the remaining trust be open to Harry and any grandchildren who aren't heir to the throne. kind of along the lines of what the queen mum did (not doing trust for William and Harry).
Reply With Quote
  #891  
Old 10-25-2017, 01:50 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Unlikely to her a Crown Estate property. They have to be paid for privately by HM / the PoW. Probably much more economical to give him a home on land already owned by the Queen or the Duchy of Cornwall.
Harry is one of the royals that gets rent free accommodation for his London home. I believe an arrangement like Andrew's will be made for his country home as well if it's on the Crown Estate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
As for Charles and his money.....yes he will take care of his sons but Camilla too. Camilla may not be their mother, but she will be his widow of a number of years when he dies. Its natural that he would see her taken care of financially. Perhaps his personal money could be placed into a trust, allowing Camilla considerable access in her life time. When she dies, the remaining trust be open to Harry and any grandchildren who aren't heir to the throne. kind of along the lines of what the queen mum did (not doing trust for William and Harry).
I'm sure William, as monarch, would take care of Camilla during her lifetime if Charles passes before her. After all, she'd be Dowager Queen/Princess Consort. And I thought I read the Queen Mum did leave money to Harry?
Reply With Quote
  #892  
Old 10-25-2017, 01:55 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

Harry isn't going to buy a place. Harry is not a millionaire in the normal sense. He cant use those funds, they are his income. If he uses his money to buy a house, he will have to rely on his dad and his brother later to support him. If a house is bought it will be bought by his family for him.
Exactly-he has to live off that money-he can't go into business or promote products to earn more money. He isn't going to spend it buying a grand estate with upkeep expenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I'm sure William, as monarch, would take care of Camilla during her lifetime if Charles passes before her. After all, she'd be Dowager Queen/Princess Consort. And I thought I read the Queen Mum did leave money to Harry?
I'm not sure Camilla will outlive Charles, so that may not be an issue. Although I'm sure there is a trust in place to care for her should it be necessary.
Reply With Quote
  #893  
Old 10-25-2017, 02:06 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
So should the Queen also provide homes for James, Louise, Beatrice, Eugenie and their children too?
They are free to choose whatever career they wish as non working royals. Harry is a working royal. Entirely different situation. Same as the fact that Harry does get rent free accommodations at KP, but the rest of HMQ's grandchildren, other than William, will not.
Reply With Quote
  #894  
Old 10-25-2017, 02:42 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Harry is one of the royals that gets rent free accommodation for his London home. I believe an arrangement like Andrew's will be made for his country home as well if it's on the Crown Estate.
If a Crown Estate property is leased for Harry, it will need to be paid for, just as homes for Andrew (Sunninhjill amd Royal Lodge) and Edward were.
Reply With Quote
  #895  
Old 10-25-2017, 03:09 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 11,047
There have been repeated reports that Charles was virtually bankrupt after paying Diana's divorce settlement and even had to borrow money from both the Queen and Queen Mum to do so. That would presumably have had to be paid back which would suggest that he isn't all that cash rich.

Why would William have to take care of Camilla at all? Surely Charles will leave a sizeable amount of his estate to her which would also be death duties free once he becomes King.

He may even do what many husbands do and leave the entire estate to his wife - remembering that he has already paid a sizeable amount to his sons via Diana's divorce settlement.

What he will do we will never be told of course as royal wills are sealed so it is all mere speculation.
Reply With Quote
  #896  
Old 10-25-2017, 03:25 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 6,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
If a Crown Estate property is leased for Harry, it will need to be paid for, just as homes for Andrew (Sunninhjill amd Royal Lodge) and Edward were.
Sunninghill was not a crown estate, it was privately owned. But yes, like Royal lodge or Bagshot, a royal lease would need to be paid.
Reply With Quote
  #897  
Old 10-25-2017, 04:34 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Sunninghill was not a crown estate, it was privately owned. But yes, like Royal lodge or Bagshot, a royal lease would need to be paid.
The land for Sunninghill was acquired from the Crown Estate.
Reply With Quote
  #898  
Old 10-25-2017, 07:29 AM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
They are free to choose whatever career they wish as non working royals. Harry is a working royal. Entirely different situation. Same as the fact that Harry does get rent free accommodations at KP, but the rest of HMQ's grandchildren, other than William, will not.

My asking about the other grandchildren is because of this previous post. Harry is a working royal so yes he should get appropriate royal housing but his line will not. He doesn’t need something to pass down his line. No one else other than Anne has that from the monarch. Buying Gatecombe for Anne and Mark made sense in 1976 because of their equestrian careers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
I don't think that the issue is denying Harry a Crown Estate property or not allowing him to live on the private estates at Sandringham or Balmoral, rather it is about setting up Harry to have something to leave to his line, and for that reason I see him getting his own Gatcomb Park gifted to him by Charles. It's anyone's guess where it will be but I suspect it will be Windsor/Berkshire, Gloucestershire or Norfolk

I do see him getting a substantial grace and favor London Home, not on the scale of Clarence House, but probably one of the better KP apartments. In this respect he is going to make out better than his aunt and uncles but he benefits from being part of a smaller pool of working royals in his generation, the only non-heir that Charles has to provide for, with that being amplified by the fact that Charles has likely accumulated considerable wealth during his decades as the Duke of Cornwall.
Reply With Quote
  #899  
Old 10-25-2017, 09:31 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
My asking about the other grandchildren is because of this previous post. Harry is a working royal so yes he should get appropriate royal housing but his line will not. He doesn’t need something to pass down his line. No one else other than Anne has that from the monarch. Buying Gatecombe for Anne and Mark made sense in 1976 because of their equestrian careers.
The Queen did also buy Sunninghill for Andrew. He just happen to sell it, so it's not really that the Queen didn't buy him something to pass down his line, it's his choice. Just like if something is bought for Harry giving him the option to pass it down, it's not like he can't ever sell it if that's the right decision at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
There have been repeated reports that Charles was virtually bankrupt after paying Diana's divorce settlement and even had to borrow money from both the Queen and Queen Mum to do so. That would presumably have had to be paid back which would suggest that he isn't all that cash rich.

Why would William have to take care of Camilla at all? Surely Charles will leave a sizeable amount of his estate to her which would also be death duties free once he becomes King.

He may even do what many husbands do and leave the entire estate to his wife - remembering that he has already paid a sizeable amount to his sons via Diana's divorce settlement.

What he will do we will never be told of course as royal wills are sealed so it is all mere speculation.
He won't be leaving his entire estate to Camilla. Balmoral and Sandringham is privately owned by monarch and is always passed down to the next monarch with the exception of Edward VIII. His divorce settlement has nothing to do with what he passes to his son. His divorce was an agreement with his then wife that's what was deserved for the earnings acquired throughout their marriage. Just like if Diana had lived and blew all of the money, Charles would still make sure Harry and his younger grandchildren are taken care of as his mother and grandmother have done for his siblings' children.
Reply With Quote
  #900  
Old 10-25-2017, 04:31 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Burke, United States
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Exactly-he has to live off that money-he can't go into business or promote products to earn more money. He isn't going to spend it buying a grand estate with upkeep expenses.
Also Harry is also a threat and has to be protected as well. Grandson of a monarch, son and brother of future monarchs too.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
highgrove, prince harry, prince william, residences


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
best outfit birthday carl gustaf chris o'neill crown princess mary crown princess victoria current events cymry denmark duchess of cornwall earl of snowdon general news grand duchess maria teresa hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta sofia iñaki urdangarín king felipe king felipe vi king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia liechtenstein monarchy news picture of the week prince alexander prince carl philip prince daniel prince felix prince gabriel prince harry prince nicholas prince oscar princess beatrice princess claire of luxembourg princess estelle princess eugenie princess leonore princess madeleine princess mary current events princess of asturias princess sofia princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia cocktail dresses queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen mathilde daytime fashion queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania daytime fashion queen silvia sofia state visit stephanie sweden swedish royal family victoria



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:33 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises