The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #861  
Old 10-24-2017, 01:20 PM
Queen Claude's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 536
I don't think that the issue is denying Harry a Crown Estate property or not allowing him to live on the private estates at Sandringham or Balmoral, rather it is about setting up Harry to have something to leave to his line, and for that reason I see him getting his own Gatcomb Park gifted to him by Charles. It's anyone's guess where it will be but I suspect it will be Windsor/Berkshire, Gloucestershire or Norfolk

I do see him getting a substantial grace and favor London Home, not on the scale of Clarence House, but probably one of the better KP apartments. In this respect he is going to make out better than his aunt and uncles but he benefits from being part of a smaller pool of working royals in his generation, the only non-heir that Charles has to provide for, with that being amplified by the fact that Charles has likely accumulated considerable wealth during his decades as the Duke of Cornwall.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #862  
Old 10-24-2017, 01:41 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 9,429
I think very careful consideration is going to go into wherever Harry sets up residence. It will not be the case, as with William, that eventually he will be "moving on up" and inheriting the properties of the monarch but rather something that will be pernament for his lifetime through his father's reign and through his brother's reign and possibly even into his nephew's reign.

What you say, Queen Claud, makes a lot of sense. As Harry and his family will eventually go the way of the Gloucesters and the Kents, perhaps the residence will be gifted to him rather than leased for the reason being it will always be something that remains in Harry's line.

We'll just have to watch and see what happens.
__________________

__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.”
~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #863  
Old 10-24-2017, 02:22 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: pinner, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,530
Quote:
will eventually go the way of the Gloucester's and the Kent's
Even IF the Prince is given a House.. on his death his estate will be subject to the same Death Duties that have parted the Kent's and Gloucester's from their family seats
Reply With Quote
  #864  
Old 10-24-2017, 02:43 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 9,429
Another good point. I'm learning as I go here. Then again, there's always the possibility that Harry could be given a place with a 99 year lease similar to what Andrew has with Royal Lodge. Come to think of it, that 99 year lease kind of thing just might be the most practical solution for Harry. He's guaranteed a lifetime residence that continues on in his family without the worries of the property going out of the Crown Estates or the monarch's personal possession that gets handed down from monarch to monarch.

If anything, the BRF and the Crown Estates are practical and logical. They find the best and practical solutions with the future in mind.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.”
~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #865  
Old 10-24-2017, 02:46 PM
JR76's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 1,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Even IF the Prince is given a House.. on his death his estate will be subject to the same Death Duties that have parted the Kent's and Gloucester's from their family seats
The Gloucester's still own Barnwell Manor but rent it out since they can't afford to pay for the upkeep themselves.
Reply With Quote
  #866  
Old 10-24-2017, 03:15 PM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,098
Future Home for Prince Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
The Gloucester's still own Barnwell Manor but rent it out since they can't afford to pay for the upkeep themselves.

Because of his brother’s death, the current Duke was the sole heir. Now, there are three children and several grandchildren. The manor will probably end up being sold to pay the taxes after the current Duke and Duchess pass. Similar to the auction on Margaret’s possessions that David and Sarah held.
Reply With Quote
  #867  
Old 10-24-2017, 03:24 PM
JR76's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 1,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Because of his brother’s death, the current Duke was the sole heir. Now, there are three children and several grandchildren. The manor will probably end up being sold to pay the taxes after the current Duke and Duchess pass. Similar to the auction on Margaret’s possessions that David and Sarah held.
The taxes wasn't less because Richard was the sole heir but yes I agree that it'd probably be sold off sooner or later if the heirs aren't interested in running the estate. That said, to my knowledge the Gloucester's still farm it so who knows. It's the house that's on a lease not the land itself.
Reply With Quote
  #868  
Old 10-24-2017, 03:27 PM
Queen Claude's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Even IF the Prince is given a House.. on his death his estate will be subject to the same Death Duties that have parted the Kent's and Gloucester's from their family seats
Yeah but what's the alternative? If Harry lives only on crown estate or monarch properties, that may work out well for him but what about his children and grandchildren? I think that any wealthy person has to be smart with their estate planning but I don't know if the prospect that the heirs will be taxed should be the cause of in effect disinheriting one of your children. After all there are plenty of people who have gotten substantial inheritances who were able to stay afloat and prosper. Yeah Harry and/or his heirs may turn out to be ne'er-do-wells or mediocre financial managers but if that's the case then they will have to live with the outcomes of their shortcomings.
Reply With Quote
  #869  
Old 10-24-2017, 03:33 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: pinner, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,530
Since ONLY the Monarch can pass his/her estate [in its entirety] without punitive taxation, the sole way any other person can pay very little is by setting up Trusts, thus avoiding 'the worst of it' and paying [like the new Duke of Westminster] 'peanuts'. Most Ancestral Homes are now protected in this manner.

Whether the Princess Royal has organised such a trust for Gatcombe Park isn't known, and will only become obvious on her death.

Harry could go down that route, but should that become public knowledge he would attract considerable criticism. Doing what aristocrats and plutocrats do is altogether more difficult for the Royal family, as they are considered public 'property'..
Reply With Quote
  #870  
Old 10-24-2017, 03:42 PM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,098
So should the Queen also provide homes for James, Louise, Beatrice, Eugenie and their children too?
Reply With Quote
  #871  
Old 10-24-2017, 03:52 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 9,429
Actually, when the time comes, providing residences for these people would fall to whomever is monarch at the time. That's quite a ways in the future and who knows how things will be when that time comes. The same with Harry's family. What was normally done in the mid 20th century has somewhat changed now in the 21st century and most likely will change again as time passes.

We have to remember that the monarch's personal properties of Sandringham and Balmoral came close to leaving the British royal family. George VI had to buy them back from the abdicated Edward VIII as Edward had inherited the properties when his father, George V, died.

However things go, I'm pretty sure that whatever arrangements are made for Harry's residences, it will be something that is agreeable to all.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.”
~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #872  
Old 10-24-2017, 04:04 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Since ONLY the Monarch can pass his/her estate [in its entirety] without punitive taxation, the sole way any other person can pay very little is by setting up Trusts, thus avoiding 'the worst of it' and paying [like the new Duke of Westminster] 'peanuts'. Most Ancestral Homes are now protected in this manner.

Whether the Princess Royal has organised such a trust for Gatcombe Park isn't known, and will only become obvious on her death.

Harry could go down that route, but should that become public knowledge he would attract considerable criticism. Doing what aristocrats and plutocrats do is altogether more difficult for the Royal family, as they are considered public 'property'..
I've read on numerous occasions that Sunninghill and Gatcombe (or at least the farm that was later purchased and used by Captain Phillips) are actually owned by Trusts in the name of Beatrice & Eugenie and Peter & Zara.
Reply With Quote
  #873  
Old 10-24-2017, 04:06 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,561
I suspect surely Charles has enough csh to allow him to purchase a house for Harry if he wanted, also bear in mind that Harry no doubt has his own wealth he could use. That is what makes me think he is likely to have a country house of some sort, he can afford to buy his own if he wanted one.
Bear in mind Harry has inheritance from Diana, the QM apparently and I would guess also QE2.
Reply With Quote
  #874  
Old 10-24-2017, 04:46 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I've read on numerous occasions that Sunninghill and Gatcombe (or at least the farm that was later purchased and used by Captain Phillips) are actually owned by Trusts in the name of Beatrice & Eugenie and Peter & Zara.
Sunninghill was sold years ago to a Kazakh billionaire and was demolished after becoming dilapidated.
Reply With Quote
  #875  
Old 10-24-2017, 04:49 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,561
Yes sorry I meant it was owned by a Trust ...
Prince Andrew's £15m house sale and the truth revealed | Daily Mail Online
Indeed, it insisted that Prince Andrew had played no part in the arrangements himself, declaring that it was instead negotiated by a trust headed by the Queen’s leading financial adviser, Sir Alan Reid, and a representative of her lawyers Farrer & Co.
‘The sale of Sunninghill Park was a straight commercial transaction between the Trust which owned the house and the Trust which bought it,’ read a statement.
‘There were no side deals and absolutely no arrangement from the Duke of York to benefit otherwise or to commit to any other commercial arrangement. Any suggestion otherwise is completely false.’
Reply With Quote
  #876  
Old 10-24-2017, 04:51 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I suspect surely Charles has enough csh to allow him to purchase a house for Harry if he wanted, also bear in mind that Harry no doubt has his own wealth he could use. That is what makes me think he is likely to have a country house of some sort, he can afford to buy his own if he wanted one.
Bear in mind Harry has inheritance from Diana, the QM apparently and I would guess also QE2.
That depends on how much of Charles' wealth is his personally and how much is the Duke of Cornwall's. They are not one and the same.
And much of Harry's wealth is tied up in investments to provide an income. If he spends too much capital, his income will substantially decrease.
Reply With Quote
  #877  
Old 10-24-2017, 05:00 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 11,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
I

I do see him getting a substantial grace and favor London Home, not on the scale of Clarence House, but probably one of the better KP apartments. In this respect he is going to make out better than his aunt and uncles but he benefits from being part of a smaller pool of working royals in his generation, the only non-heir that Charles has to provide for, with that being amplified by the fact that Charles has likely accumulated considerable wealth during his decades as the Duke of Cornwall.
I am not so sure about that.

Remember he had to borrow money from the Queen and Queen Mum to pay Diana's divorce settlement and was basically bankrupt at that time because he gives so much to charity. He doesn't keep very much of the Duchy for the future at all.

Prior to marry Diana he voluntarily paid 50% of the income in tax and then reduced that to 25% to cover the expenses he then had with a wife and children. Most of what he buys he also adds to the Royal Collection so that it will remain with the family and the nation but not be sellable - like most of the Duchy of Cornwall properties.

Why should anyone buy Harry a home when he is a multi-millionaire in his own right?

Most parents would expect their children, especially when they are as wealthy as Harry, to stand on their own two feet by the time they are in their mid-30s and support themselves but somehow Harry isn't expected to behave as a grown-up and have his father still support him and buy him a home.
Reply With Quote
  #878  
Old 10-24-2017, 05:12 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

Why should anyone buy Harry a home when he is a multi-millionaire in his own right?

Most parents would expect their children, especially when they are as wealthy as Harry, to stand on their own two feet by the time they are in their mid-30s and support themselves but somehow Harry isn't expected to behave as a grown-up and have his father still support him and buy him a home.
If Harry didn't have to have 24 hour RPOs and a secure perimeter I'd agree with you, but because of who Harry's grandmother, father and brother are there are circumstances of his living arrangements of which he does not have control.
Reply With Quote
  #879  
Old 10-24-2017, 05:25 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 5,631
There's not many parents who wouldn't help their kids out to buy a house if they could...regardless of who they are or their income. Tell me if you won the gazillion dollar lottery tomorrow you wouldn't help your kids/grandkids out?? I sure would.


LaRae
Reply With Quote
  #880  
Old 10-24-2017, 05:28 PM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,098
Future Home for Prince Harry

Does Anne, Andrew, Edward and Sophie have 24hr RPO coverage now? William has 2 children soon to be 3. Harry isn’t the spare anymore.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
highgrove, prince harry, prince william, residences


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
best outfit birthday carl gustaf chris o'neill crown princess mary crown princess victoria current events cymry denmark duchess of cornwall earl of snowdon general news grand duchess maria teresa hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta sofia iñaki urdangarín king felipe king felipe vi king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia liechtenstein monarchy news picture of the week prince alexander prince carl philip prince daniel prince felix prince gabriel prince harry prince nicholas prince oscar princess beatrice princess claire of luxembourg princess estelle princess eugenie princess leonore princess madeleine princess mary current events princess of asturias princess sofia princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia cocktail dresses queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen mathilde daytime fashion queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania daytime fashion queen silvia sofia state visit stephanie sweden swedish royal family victoria



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:33 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises