The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-24-2017, 01:20 PM
Courtier

I don't think that the issue is denying Harry a Crown Estate property or not allowing him to live on the private estates at Sandringham or Balmoral, rather it is about setting up Harry to have something to leave to his line, and for that reason I see him getting his own Gatcomb Park gifted to him by Charles. It's anyone's guess where it will be but I suspect it will be Windsor/Berkshire, Gloucestershire or Norfolk

I do see him getting a substantial grace and favor London Home, not on the scale of Clarence House, but probably one of the better KP apartments. In this respect he is going to make out better than his aunt and uncles but he benefits from being part of a smaller pool of working royals in his generation, the only non-heir that Charles has to provide for, with that being amplified by the fact that Charles has likely accumulated considerable wealth during his decades as the Duke of Cornwall.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:41 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think very careful consideration is going to go into wherever Harry sets up residence. It will not be the case, as with William, that eventually he will be "moving on up" and inheriting the properties of the monarch but rather something that will be pernament for his lifetime through his father's reign and through his brother's reign and possibly even into his nephew's reign.

What you say, Queen Claud, makes a lot of sense. As Harry and his family will eventually go the way of the Gloucesters and the Kents, perhaps the residence will be gifted to him rather than leased for the reason being it will always be something that remains in Harry's line.

We'll just have to watch and see what happens.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
will eventually go the way of the Gloucester's and the Kent's
Even IF the Prince is given a House.. on his death his estate will be subject to the same Death Duties that have parted the Kent's and Gloucester's from their family seats
Old 10-24-2017, 02:43 PM
Majesty

Another good point. I'm learning as I go here. Then again, there's always the possibility that Harry could be given a place with a 99 year lease similar to what Andrew has with Royal Lodge. Come to think of it, that 99 year lease kind of thing just might be the most practical solution for Harry. He's guaranteed a lifetime residence that continues on in his family without the worries of the property going out of the Crown Estates or the monarch's personal possession that gets handed down from monarch to monarch.

If anything, the BRF and the Crown Estates are practical and logical. They find the best and practical solutions with the future in mind.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Even IF the Prince is given a House.. on his death his estate will be subject to the same Death Duties that have parted the Kent's and Gloucester's from their family seats
The Gloucester's still own Barnwell Manor but rent it out since they can't afford to pay for the upkeep themselves.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Future Home for Prince Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
The Gloucester's still own Barnwell Manor but rent it out since they can't afford to pay for the upkeep themselves.

Because of his brother’s death, the current Duke was the sole heir. Now, there are three children and several grandchildren. The manor will probably end up being sold to pay the taxes after the current Duke and Duchess pass. Similar to the auction on Margaret’s possessions that David and Sarah held.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Because of his brother’s death, the current Duke was the sole heir. Now, there are three children and several grandchildren. The manor will probably end up being sold to pay the taxes after the current Duke and Duchess pass. Similar to the auction on Margaret’s possessions that David and Sarah held.
The taxes wasn't less because Richard was the sole heir but yes I agree that it'd probably be sold off sooner or later if the heirs aren't interested in running the estate. That said, to my knowledge the Gloucester's still farm it so who knows. It's the house that's on a lease not the land itself.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Yeah but what's the alternative? If Harry lives only on crown estate or monarch properties, that may work out well for him but what about his children and grandchildren? I think that any wealthy person has to be smart with their estate planning but I don't know if the prospect that the heirs will be taxed should be the cause of in effect disinheriting one of your children. After all there are plenty of people who have gotten substantial inheritances who were able to stay afloat and prosper. Yeah Harry and/or his heirs may turn out to be ne'er-do-wells or mediocre financial managers but if that's the case then they will have to live with the outcomes of their shortcomings.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:33 PM
Royal Highness

Since ONLY the Monarch can pass his/her estate [in its entirety] without punitive taxation, the sole way any other person can pay very little is by setting up Trusts, thus avoiding 'the worst of it' and paying [like the new Duke of Westminster] 'peanuts'. Most Ancestral Homes are now protected in this manner.

Whether the Princess Royal has organised such a trust for Gatcombe Park isn't known, and will only become obvious on her death.

Harry could go down that route, but should that become public knowledge he would attract considerable criticism. Doing what aristocrats and plutocrats do is altogether more difficult for the Royal family, as they are considered public 'property'..
Old 10-24-2017, 03:42 PM
Heir Apparent

So should the Queen also provide homes for James, Louise, Beatrice, Eugenie and their children too?
Old 10-24-2017, 03:52 PM
Majesty

Actually, when the time comes, providing residences for these people would fall to whomever is monarch at the time. That's quite a ways in the future and who knows how things will be when that time comes. The same with Harry's family. What was normally done in the mid 20th century has somewhat changed now in the 21st century and most likely will change again as time passes.

We have to remember that the monarch's personal properties of Sandringham and Balmoral came close to leaving the British royal family. George VI had to buy them back from the abdicated Edward VIII as Edward had inherited the properties when his father, George V, died.

However things go, I'm pretty sure that whatever arrangements are made for Harry's residences, it will be something that is agreeable to all.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:04 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Since ONLY the Monarch can pass his/her estate [in its entirety] without punitive taxation, the sole way any other person can pay very little is by setting up Trusts, thus avoiding 'the worst of it' and paying [like the new Duke of Westminster] 'peanuts'. Most Ancestral Homes are now protected in this manner.

Whether the Princess Royal has organised such a trust for Gatcombe Park isn't known, and will only become obvious on her death.

Harry could go down that route, but should that become public knowledge he would attract considerable criticism. Doing what aristocrats and plutocrats do is altogether more difficult for the Royal family, as they are considered public 'property'..
I've read on numerous occasions that Sunninghill and Gatcombe (or at least the farm that was later purchased and used by Captain Phillips) are actually owned by Trusts in the name of Beatrice & Eugenie and Peter & Zara.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:06 PM
Royal Highness

I suspect surely Charles has enough csh to allow him to purchase a house for Harry if he wanted, also bear in mind that Harry no doubt has his own wealth he could use. That is what makes me think he is likely to have a country house of some sort, he can afford to buy his own if he wanted one.
Bear in mind Harry has inheritance from Diana, the QM apparently and I would guess also QE2.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I've read on numerous occasions that Sunninghill and Gatcombe (or at least the farm that was later purchased and used by Captain Phillips) are actually owned by Trusts in the name of Beatrice & Eugenie and Peter & Zara.
Sunninghill was sold years ago to a Kazakh billionaire and was demolished after becoming dilapidated.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:49 PM
Royal Highness

Yes sorry I meant it was owned by a Trust ...
Prince Andrew's £15m house sale and the truth revealed | Daily Mail Online
Indeed, it insisted that Prince Andrew had played no part in the arrangements himself, declaring that it was instead negotiated by a trust headed by the Queen’s leading financial adviser, Sir Alan Reid, and a representative of her lawyers Farrer & Co.
‘The sale of Sunninghill Park was a straight commercial transaction between the Trust which owned the house and the Trust which bought it,’ read a statement.
‘There were no side deals and absolutely no arrangement from the Duke of York to benefit otherwise or to commit to any other commercial arrangement. Any suggestion otherwise is completely false.’
Old 10-24-2017, 04:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I suspect surely Charles has enough csh to allow him to purchase a house for Harry if he wanted, also bear in mind that Harry no doubt has his own wealth he could use. That is what makes me think he is likely to have a country house of some sort, he can afford to buy his own if he wanted one.
Bear in mind Harry has inheritance from Diana, the QM apparently and I would guess also QE2.
That depends on how much of Charles' wealth is his personally and how much is the Duke of Cornwall's. They are not one and the same.
And much of Harry's wealth is tied up in investments to provide an income. If he spends too much capital, his income will substantially decrease.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
I

I do see him getting a substantial grace and favor London Home, not on the scale of Clarence House, but probably one of the better KP apartments. In this respect he is going to make out better than his aunt and uncles but he benefits from being part of a smaller pool of working royals in his generation, the only non-heir that Charles has to provide for, with that being amplified by the fact that Charles has likely accumulated considerable wealth during his decades as the Duke of Cornwall.
I am not so sure about that.

Remember he had to borrow money from the Queen and Queen Mum to pay Diana's divorce settlement and was basically bankrupt at that time because he gives so much to charity. He doesn't keep very much of the Duchy for the future at all.

Prior to marry Diana he voluntarily paid 50% of the income in tax and then reduced that to 25% to cover the expenses he then had with a wife and children. Most of what he buys he also adds to the Royal Collection so that it will remain with the family and the nation but not be sellable - like most of the Duchy of Cornwall properties.

Why should anyone buy Harry a home when he is a multi-millionaire in his own right?

Most parents would expect their children, especially when they are as wealthy as Harry, to stand on their own two feet by the time they are in their mid-30s and support themselves but somehow Harry isn't expected to behave as a grown-up and have his father still support him and buy him a home.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

Why should anyone buy Harry a home when he is a multi-millionaire in his own right?

Most parents would expect their children, especially when they are as wealthy as Harry, to stand on their own two feet by the time they are in their mid-30s and support themselves but somehow Harry isn't expected to behave as a grown-up and have his father still support him and buy him a home.
If Harry didn't have to have 24 hour RPOs and a secure perimeter I'd agree with you, but because of who Harry's grandmother, father and brother are there are circumstances of his living arrangements of which he does not have control.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:25 PM
Heir Apparent

There's not many parents who wouldn't help their kids out to buy a house if they could...regardless of who they are or their income. Tell me if you won the gazillion dollar lottery tomorrow you wouldn't help your kids/grandkids out?? I sure would.

LaRae
Old 10-24-2017, 05:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Future Home for Prince Harry

Does Anne, Andrew, Edward and Sophie have 24hr RPO coverage now? William has 2 children soon to be 3. Harry isn’t the spare anymore.

Tags
highgrove, prince harry, prince william, residences