The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-30-2017, 04:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Supposedly. The house was first built in the 1690's on very marshy ground. Heaven knows why they chose to build there, especially as it was probably quite an isolated spot in those days.

Old 09-30-2017, 04:54 PM
Courtier

Frogmore is a bit on the big side - I cant see such a huge pile for Harry - you need a lot of money to fund for such an expensive estate.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:02 PM
Aristocracy

But Harry wouldn't have to pay for upkeep, right? Doesn't the Crown maintain it?
Old 09-30-2017, 05:44 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
The two situations of Anmer and Fort Belvedere aren't remotely comparable.

The lease on Anmer was due to expire in 2017, so when the tenants used the opportunity to consolidate their offices and workshops from two locations into one in September 2013, there was a positive benefit to their business (they've since expanded quite a lot).

The Westons' lease on FB still has 37 years to go, the Westons have an active social life that includes members of the royal family, and there's no real benefit to them to moving somewhere else.

To be clear, when I mentioned Frogmore, it was in the context of "well, if it had to be at Windsor, Frogmore's better than the Castle", taking into account that I think a regular commute from Windsor would be too long and disruptive to others. I don't think Windsor is a great alternative for them.

I think that Harry and his wife are best suited with a main residence in London proper; that's where the administrative offices for W,K & Harry and their Foundation are, that's where a lot of their work gets done (just look at all the meetings that William has held in the last month).

I also suspect that the RF has been aware of the need for Harry to have something long term for quite a while now, and probably have several options in mind.
Also remember Anmer is part of the Queen's private Sandringham Estate while Belvedere and Frogmore are both owned by the Crown Estates. I imagine given the more public nature of the Crown Estate and its government involvement kicking out a respectable paying tenant for a member of the RF wouldn't go down as well.

Personally I suspect Harry will get a main residence in a large KP apartment and a country house somewhere on a royal estate, Highgrove or Sandringham maybe.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:04 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm sold on Frogmore. One of the few royal houses that I love at first sight/picture. It's really gorgeous.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptgirl View Post
Well re Fort Belvedere, the leasee could be bought off-isn't that what went down with Anmer? And Bagshot is a bit on the large side as well.
Anmer is the Queen's own property so there is nothing to stop her kicking out a tenant is she so decides and that is what she did. In addition they needed to get out early to allow for the Queen to pay for the redevelopment.

A lease on a Crown Estate property is different as well. In addition to having paid the lease for decades in advance, not five years as was the case with Anmer, but the leaseholders have spent millions refurbishing the estate and all of that has to be repaid - at the current rate of the work, not the cost at the time.

The PR of the Crown Estate, an organisation that earns billions for the British taxpayers, paying out millions to a billionaire for a house for Harry would be disastrous and no doubt Harry would then want to refurbish to suit himself as well.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:47 PM
Aristocracy

Could Harry have the home that Margaret Rhoades used to live in?
Old 10-01-2017, 03:18 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Could Harry have the home that Margaret Rhoades used to live in?
Garden house. Considering her husband died in 1981, the house would be vacant now. They moved into the home when her husband got cancer, so they could be close to London for treatment. He died six months later but Margaret remained in the home after.

Cant find much detail on it, but there is a pic of her here infront of the home with her dog

http://www.tatler.com/gallery/queens...s-dies-aged-91
Old 10-01-2017, 05:58 AM
Courtier

I don't know, would Harry find it creepy living back in his own old home, the one he shared with William and Diana and has to be full of happy memories?

It's offices now so would have to go through a complete revamp. He and Meghan could opt for what was the familiar for Harry or go for something completely different. It's all about choice.

William chose Diana's engagement ring for Kate, now I did find that a bit creepy, (though could understandish his thought process), Harry opting for his old home with his mum, not so much.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:03 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I would hope Harry wouldn't get Diana's apartments. I would hope he would want a fresh start without the burden of the past. I would find it a tad creepy if he settled there and I LOVE Diana.
I keep doing this! NOT looking to see if this is the last post or just the last post on the page!!

Immediate last post in reply to this one from Scriptgirl! Which can probably be merged by someone a lot more tech than me!
Old 10-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Courtier

Maybe I'm too pragmatic, but I don't know why the idea of Harry living in his childhood home is creepy. It's not like anyone Harry knew was murdered there. If he would be comfortable there what any of us think is immaterial.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

True, I can't imagine why its "creepy" to live in his old home.. where he no doubt has hapy memories as well as sad ones.
But if it has become offices then its not that likely to be used.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:50 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Garden house. Considering her husband died in 1981, the house would be vacant now. They moved into the home when her husband got cancer, so they could be close to London for treatment. He died six months later but Margaret remained in the home after.

Cant find much detail on it, but there is a pic of her here infront of the home with her dog

http://www.tatler.com/gallery/queens...s-dies-aged-91
What a lovely house. If Harry doesn't want it I'd gladly take it.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:20 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

Queens cousin & best friend Margaret Rhodes dies aged 91 | Tatler Magazine
From what I have read, Garden House was in close proximity to both Royal Lodge and Windsor Castle. Mrs. Rhodes was very close to her aunt, the Queen Mum and also with the Queen herself. It was a normal occurrence that the Queen would pop over to Garden House for a visit after church on Sundays and the two women remained very close until Mrs. Rhode's death just recently. I believe Margaret was only 18 months older than the Queen.

I don't see Harry wanting a residence in Windsor though as a first choice. I think he'd rather opt out for Norfolk or even Gloucester (Highgrove). Once thing I do think is almost a given is somewhere to set up base in London at KP.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:26 PM

Does anyone recall

Does anyone remember a few months ago --beginning of summer reading that Harry was looking at properties? There were a few specific properties featured in the newspaper article. I recall something was said that he wanted a place with stables and room enough for a polo field. Perhaps this was all fabricated drivel.

I am asking if anyone wants to bet that it will soon emerge that there is a property and it already has permission for a redo.
I'm counting on space in Gloustershire adjacent to Highgrove.

You all have such good information. Thanks for posting, keeps me busy!
Old 10-01-2017, 03:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgtns View Post
Does anyone remember a few months ago --beginning of summer reading that Harry was looking at properties? There were a few specific properties featured in the newspaper article. I recall something was said that he wanted a place with stables and room enough for a polo field. Perhaps this was all fabricated drivel.

I am asking if anyone wants to bet that it will soon emerge that there is a property and it already has permission for a redo.

They were said to be looking in Norfolk

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/366798...-a-polo-field/
Old 10-01-2017, 03:41 PM
Aristocracy

I love Diana, I absolutely do, but I think Harry and Meghan should have a fresh start and not live in his childhood home in KP with memories of his mom. I think those old apartments should stay offices for the next few generations.

Also, Garden House is perfect for Harry-who lives in it now? I would like to see him live apart from William.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I love Diana, I absolutely do, but I think Harry and Meghan should have a fresh start and not live in his childhood home in KP with memories of his mom. I think those old apartments should stay offices for the next few generations.

Also, Garden House is perfect for Harry-who lives in it now? I would like to see him live apart from William.
If Harry wants to live near William either at Kensington Palace and or in Norfolk I see no problem.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgtns View Post

I think Norfolk is more likely; remember that article on the Turnip Toffs?

Those are all members of Harry's circle, so I think if he has a country house, that's where it will be.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:45 PM
Aristocracy

Just thinking of "London boltholes," as they've been called here...does anyone have any idea how the size of Nott Cott compares to the BP apartments the queen's younger children have? Could it be a conceivable option for that function for him in the future as a city home base if he were to shift his primary residence to the country?

Tags
highgrove, prince harry, prince william, residences