The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-26-2017, 01:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptgirl View Post
Doesn't Harry have quite a bit of money that Diana left him that would enable him to get a nice country home of his own?
Around 10 million (can't remember if that's pounds or dollars) and I'm sure it's invested well. To bring one of the old houses up to code and preferred style it can be very very expensive.

LaRae

Old 09-26-2017, 02:04 PM
Royal Highness

I'm sure he could easily buy a nice, big house in the country with that 10 million, but the upkeep of an entire estate asks for much more. I can't imagine Harry and Meghan wanting to live on a big estate anyway.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Around 10 million (can't remember if that's pounds or dollars) and I'm sure it's invested well. To bring one of the old houses up to code and preferred style it can be very very expensive.

LaRae
He does not have to have a grand house in the country, just a bolthole.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
He does not have to have a grand house in the country, just a bolthole.
No one has said he needs one. All most have done is wondered if he, like William, will have a country house.

I suspect he will have some sort of country home and it may even be on the estate where W&K have one.

LaRae
Old 09-26-2017, 06:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

The tradition set by the Queen is ONE home for the younger siblings usually a large country home and an apartment in London although Margaret was the opposite.

I suspect Harry will be the same - ONE large home - probably an apartment in KP and then access to a much smaller apartment when he wants it at Sandringham and Balmoral. He certainly won't be getting two large homes unless he is going to pay the upkeep of at least one of them himself. The cost in terms of taxpayer funded security has to be also taken into account as any home of his will need 24/7 security - even if said second home was overseas, which should rule out that option.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:48 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post

LaRae
Are we suggesting that Harry would actually be made to pay for the work himself

If the queen saw fit or Charles to gift him a home on one of her properties, it would only be cost of refurbishing. Considering Amner was done for William, I highly doubt that Harry would be expected to foot the cost of his own home. The William will be king argument holds no water here. William has even less need of Amner, as he will be king and have royal estates one day. Harry will only have what is given to him.

Added security and such costs really don't apply to a home on of the estates. We're not talking buying his own estate off in the country which needs around clock protection. The estates already have it.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Anmer Hall for William makes sense as he will end up owning the estate on which it is located - namely Sandringham.

For Harry things are different. He won't end up owning any of the existing estates so either has to buy a new one - and that means additional round the clock security or settling for a London apartment at KP and use of a suite of rooms on the royal estates. He is a younger child and won't be getting anywhere near as much as William.

Andrew ensured his daughters and even grandchildren will have access to a royal property by paying the lease upfront on Royal Lodge and the refurbishment himself - so the precedent is there that Harry would have to pay for any refurbishment himself - as a younger child.

Edward has to lease part of Bagshot to pay for its upkeep and the lease is much shorter so his children won't be able to live there for the rest of their lives.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

If the queen saw fit or Charles to gift him a home on one of her properties, it would only be cost of refurbishing. Considering Amner was done for William, I highly doubt that Harry would be expected to foot the cost of his own home. The William will be king argument holds no water here. William has even less need of Amner, as he will be king and have royal estates one day. Harry will only have what is given to him.

Added security and such costs really don't apply to a home on of the estates. We're not talking buying his own estate off in the country which needs around clock protection. The estates already have it.
Good point but being part of an estate and being on the estate are obviously different. I don't think that Anmer is within the Sandringham estate. It is in the village of Anmer outside of the walled estate (some 2-3 miles away) there was no security so more has been added.

Not that it matters. I think KP main home and a small weekend retreat near either family or friends. Their lives will be so busy that occasional meetings will be more of the norm than every weekend. Esp with children.

Don't see any need to own o/seas property. And I know that some have mentioned Africa but security issues are growing. That would really need to change.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-26-2017, 08:19 PM
Courtier

Anmer also makes sense for William since if his father is as long lived as the Queen and Prince Philip it will be 25 or more years until William is King.

I'm sure there are already some places being considered as residences for Harry and his future family.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Anmer Hall for William makes sense as he will end up owning the estate on which it is located - namely Sandringham.

For Harry things are different. He won't end up owning any of the existing estates so either has to buy a new one - and that means additional round the clock security or settling for a London apartment at KP and use of a suite of rooms on the royal estates. He is a younger child and won't be getting anywhere near as much as William.

Andrew ensured his daughters and even grandchildren will have access to a royal property by paying the lease upfront on Royal Lodge and the refurbishment himself - so the precedent is there that Harry would have to pay for any refurbishment himself - as a younger child.

Edward has to lease part of Bagshot to pay for its upkeep and the lease is much shorter so his children won't be able to live there for the rest of their lives.

I am sorry but what precedent

So younger children must buy their own homes????

I do wonder how Anne bought Gatcombe. I was under the impression she was gifted it. She is a younger child.

I do wonder about Sunninghill. Quite a large house for Andrew to buy on naval salary. But he is a younger son and as you point out, younger children have to buy their own homes. I was under the mistaken impression that it was gifted to them as well. \

Oh well my memory must be pretty shotty. I thought there was quite a precedent for younger kids to be given homes. And previous generations.

FYI Andrew's renovations are part of the rent he was meant to pay on royal lodge. It covers the cost for the next 25 years (260,000 a year). If he chooses to break the lease in the next 25 years, the crown estates would be required to compensate him the remaining money (he basically paid 25 years rent in advance). His renovations were in part funded by the sale of his home which had been a gift from his mother.

Edward is the only child who was not gifted ownership of a house. I guess good thing Harry isn't a fourth son.

There is also no precedence set for grandkids which Harry is right now. Nor does Charles have to follow what his mother did.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:26 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Another point to make about the renovations that have been already done for the Cambridge's residences is that it wasn't solely done just for William and Kate. Its also insurance that the properties will be up to date and there for in the future. With KP, the needed renovation of the building itself was paid for by the Sovereign grant but the interior redecorating were paid for by Will and Kate themselves (with possible help from Charles).

I think its also important to state that places like Buckingham Palace, Windsor castle and Kensington Palace and such where royals have residences are not their own nor are they the property of the royal family themselves and therefore cannot be sold. The monarch does hold Balmoral and Sandringham as her own personal property but it is also slated to be passed from monarch to monarch. As a rule, the royal family owns very little property. Anne does own Gatcombe Park and Charles has properties in Romania but that is about it.

Besides inheriting money from his mother, Harry also has a holding in the trust fund that was set up by the Queen Mother for her great grandchildren estimated at 19 million at the time. That has to be a substantial chunk to add to a bank account.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/...ther.monarchy2
Old 09-26-2017, 09:13 PM
Serene Highness

it wouldnt surprise me if Harry were gifted some land in Africa upon his wedding; a gift from friends (not family) - something like Princess Margaret and Mustique.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:15 PM
Majesty

Just a reminder that money only works for you if you don't spend it.

His capital is all Harry has. He isn't earning a salary/regular income, although he does have an army pension.

spend the interest; don't spend the capital.

Large houses require large amounts of maintenance and staff. And he is liable for tax, including inheritance tax.

Many royals in his position have struggled, hence moving into KP and continuing royal duties.

Although his grandmother (lesser degree) and his father (the most) will leave him £££ but that is some way off.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-26-2017, 09:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The tradition set by the Queen is ONE home for the younger siblings usually a large country home and an apartment in London although Margaret was the opposite.

I suspect Harry will be the same - ONE large home - probably an apartment in KP and then access to a much smaller apartment when he wants it at Sandringham and Balmoral.
He certainly won't be getting two large homes unless he is going to pay the upkeep of at least one of them himself. The cost in terms of taxpayer funded security has to be also taken into account as any home of his will need 24/7 security - even if said second home was overseas, which should rule out that option.
That's what I think, too. Harry does not seem to be a country sort.

But I do think a home elsewhere might be a requirement for Harry's new wife. If that wife is Meghan, it many be she keeps her Toronto home. One possibility.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I am sorry but what precedent

So younger children must buy their own homes????

I do wonder how Anne bought Gatcombe. I was under the impression she was gifted it. She is a younger child.

I do wonder about Sunninghill. Quite a large house for Andrew to buy on naval salary. But he is a younger son and as you point out, younger children have to buy their own homes. I was under the mistaken impression that it was gifted to them as well. \

Oh well my memory must be pretty shotty. I thought there was quite a precedent for younger kids to be given homes. And previous generations.

FYI Andrew's renovations are part of the rent he was meant to pay on royal lodge. It covers the cost for the next 25 years (260,000 a year). If he chooses to break the lease in the next 25 years, the crown estates would be required to compensate him the remaining money (he basically paid 25 years rent in advance). His renovations were in part funded by the sale of his home which had been a gift from his mother.

Edward is the only child who was not gifted ownership of a house. I guess good thing Harry isn't a fourth son.

There is also no precedence set for grandkids which Harry is right now. Nor does Charles have to follow what his mother did.
I didn't say they had to 'buy' the house but the 'refurbishment' of said house.

Andrew was able to buy the lease of Royal Lodge before he sold Sunninghill so obviously had another source of income besides his naval salary - a trust fund set up by his mother would be the obvious source of that income. He also paid for the refurbishment of Royal Lodge. He didn't have to 'buy' it but he did have to pay for the refurbishment himself - which offset some of the cost of the lease as it is a Crown Estate property which will revert to the Estate at the end of the lease and so won't pass down after the end of the lease - same with Baghshot which is on a shorter lease.

The Queen did buy Gatcombe so Anne's descendants will have somewhere to live forever - assuming they can eventually pay the death duties.

It was the refurbishing of a home that was the precedent set - Andrew had to pay for that himself so presumably if Harry was to get a country estate then he too would have to pay for the refurbishment and then ongoing maintenance of said home.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

No...I think I mentioned earlier that his father/brother would take care of things.

LaRae
Old 09-26-2017, 11:26 PM
Courtier

I always assumed Andrew had to pay for the Royal lodge refurb. because he'd already been given Sunninghill and decided he didn't want it and his parents weren't willing to basically gift him a second home by paying for the Royal lodge refurb. too.
Edward seems to have been given the least. Although for all we know the Queen could have opted to set up trusts for his children rather than gifting him property or some such.
Harry does have funds from his mother's estate in addition to the funds from his great grandmother's trust, so he could buy a country estate. Or he might be gifted a country manor/estate by Charles as the Queen did for Anne and Andrew.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
I always assumed Andrew had to pay for the Royal lodge refurb. because he'd already been given Sunninghill and decided he didn't want it and his parents weren't willing to basically gift him a second home by paying for the Royal lodge refurb. too.
Edward seems to have been given the least. Although for all we know the Queen could have opted to set up trusts for his children rather than gifting him property or some such.
Harry does have funds from his mother's estate in addition to the funds from his great grandmother's trust, so he could buy a country estate. Or he might be gifted a country manor/estate by Charles as the Queen did for Anne and Andrew.
And as pointed out earlier, if Harry spends capital on property, that lessens his future income. A country estate is costly-upkeep and taxes. Anne's place is a working horse farm with events to offset costs.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post

He had to pay for the refurbishment himself to reduce the cost of the lease. If he had had Royal Palaces pay for the refurbishment then the cost of the lease would have been higher.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:16 AM
Heir Apparent

A bit of a side issue, and I know it's been explained once before, but could someone quickly explain why Sunninghill got sold and they all regrouped at Royal Lodge? I know it had to do initially with the divorce, correct?

Tags
highgrove, prince harry, prince william, residences