The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-20-2017, 03:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
He'll can have a house on the same estate that William does if he wants a place away from London.

LaRae
If he wants, and there are homes available for them to use.

Or he may choose he doesn't want to live at Sandringham as his country retreat. He may prefer Scotland, or some where else. We don't know if he wants to be right down the street from his brother. We know they are close but doesn't mean they will want to be neighbors in both London and country.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:10 PM
Royal Highness

I think there are other apartments in KP that Harry could have without kicking out "family". The Prince of Wales and the Queen's Private Secretaries were both said to have had apartments in KP, sometimes described as "grand", both those Private Secretaries have not that long ago left their posts so maybe they are or can be freed up?

I think Harry will have some sort of country house, probably bigger than a cottage on an estate but not necessarily massive country houses.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I think there are other apartments in KP that Harry could have without kicking out "family". The Prince of Wales and the Queen's Private Secretaries were both said to have had apartments in KP, sometimes described as "grand", both those Private Secretaries have not that long ago left their posts so maybe they are or can be freed up?
Agree completely...It has been published recently that renovations have already begun on a large apt. at KP...makes sense.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammaSueSue View Post
Agree completely...It has been published recently that renovations have already begun on a large apt. at KP...makes sense.
Are you referring to the reports from a few months ago that the Gloucester apartment is getting a new roof and windows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Speaking of residences of former private secretaries, the Telegraph has always believed Harry would get apartment 4B. I wonder about the status of that apartment currently. Did someone move in after Michael Peat left in 2011?
Old 09-20-2017, 05:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Are you referring to the reports from a few months ago that the Gloucester apartment is getting a new roof and windows?

Speaking of residences of former private secretaries, the Telegraph has always believed Harry would get apartment 4B. I wonder about the status of that apartment currently. Did someone move in after Michael Peat left in 2011?
I haven't heard anything about the apartment.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-20-2017, 05:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Don't forget that when The Queen gave Anmer Hall to William she did so knowing that in time he would own the estate as King.

Harry won't ever own that property so there is then the question of what he may be able to leave his kids.

Andrew paid an extended lease on Royal Lodge so the girls can still live there after he has gone - and it is certainly large enough.

I doubt Harry will get a country home as well as a large London base. He doesn't need both.

He will either buy an estate himself - given the millions left to him by his mother there is no need for the Queen or Charles to buy one for him (and if he was going to do that he could easily have already done so) and have a small apartment in London OR he will have a major apartment in London - which would suit him more I think as he is very much more at home in the city it seems to me with access to a suite of rooms at Windsor, Sandringham and Balmoral for weekend visits.

If he marries Meghan I can see them buying a house in America as a bolt hole rather than a UK residence anyway.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:57 PM
Courtier

Then there are the basement offices being built under/behind the Orangery at Kensington Palace. Maybe this is to free up more apartments for living space rather than just more office space.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:02 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Then there are the basement offices being built under/behind the Orangery at Kensington Palace. Maybe this is to free up more apartments for living space rather than just more office space.
Absolutely...also expanding staff for W, C & H

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post

No, Google Prince Harry New Apt & you will get several articles published within the last couple of months about his new apt at KP. He drops around often checking on progress...

Apparently not...
Old 09-20-2017, 09:30 PM
Majesty

4b would be a great choice if London is to be the main family home. It is 5/6 bedrooms and is said to be much larger then Diana's old apartment.

I still think there will be some country home. I don't see Harry buying one. If one is bought, it will be by his father IMO. Otherwise we will see a lease, either on the grounds of a royal residence, or a crown estate like Ed and Andrew. If he wants something his kids can continue with, a lease like Andrew has.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:03 PM
Gentry

I’ve always wondered, what is the square footage/layout of Nottingham Cottage? It sounds tiny and like something in a fairy tale... perhaps, however, it’s a Cottage in relation to some of the nearby grandiose living space?
Old 09-20-2017, 10:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emme View Post
I’ve always wondered, what is the square footage/layout of Nottingham Cottage? It sounds tiny and like something in a fairy tale... perhaps, however, it’s a Cottage in relation to some of the nearby grandiose living space?
Good point. Is it just a matter of comparison and is not really 400 sq ft. but a decent 2,000.

It seems to me that if Harry were interested in country living he would have started settling down by now into a country house on his own (not waiting for marriage), though maybe Africa really is his 'country house'.

Makes sense that if he marries a non-Brit, they might have a house out-of-the-country, but I am betting on Africa regardless. Just a hunch.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:44 PM
Heir Apparent

The build out below the Orangery at KP is for the historical royal palace people not for Royal staff.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The build out below the Orangery at KP is for the historical royal palace people not for Royal staff.
I thought that it was published that the office were specifically for Willam and Harry and their respective establishments.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emme View Post
When the Cambridges were living there it was reported to have 2 bedrooms, 2 small reception rooms and a kitchen with a front garden. Definitely much smaller then some of the apartments like their current. Their current is 22 rooms including 2 kitchens.

William and Kate get 'starter home' in Kensington Palace grounds | Daily Mail Online

Even compared to the other separate buildings, its small. Both Ivy and Wren are larger.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:44 AM
Serene Highness

I expect Harry to get apt 4B in KP and then a country bolthole closer to Windsor/ Berkshire.... to be closer to the polo crowd - seems to be more of Harry's crowd. perhaps Frogmore.... already in Windsor great park and not another outside purchase.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgtns View Post
I thought that it was published that the office were specifically for Willam and Harry and their respective establishments.
In a way both.

The actual new offices will be used by the historic palaces staff. But that frees up the offices they currently use in Kensington Palace. It is reported that will free up the space for the growing staff needs of the royal family. And as such may also free up some living space as well.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:54 AM
Majesty

I was walking across Kensington Gardens last week and could not help notice that the apartment next to William & Catherine's was going through very extensive renovation. The apartment was fully covered in scaffolding and had a plastic sheet covering it. Could this be an apartment that was being discretely refurbished for Harry?
Old 09-21-2017, 11:10 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Logic tells me that the apartment next to the Cambridge's Apt. 1A would be Apt. 1. It is going through renovations. I did a quick search and did find this article from last June. How reputable it is, I have no clue.

If the rumors presented are to be believed, The Gloucesters could be relocating to Barnwell Manor which makes room for Harry and his wife and family at KP.

I don't think we'll get any kind of information for sure about this until at least after the engagement is announced.

It would be really nice though if William and Harry had apartments that are close together. Makes for one big, happy family.

https://www.aol.com/article/lifestyl...arry/23005071/
Old 09-21-2017, 07:57 PM
Courtier

If the Gloucesters couldn't afford to live at Barnwell before, how could they afford it now? I doubt they are moving, unless they found a buyer for Barnwell and are buying something smaller. I think somewhere other than the Gloucester apt will be found for Harry if necessary.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:31 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
I just can't picture Harry in Highgrove, of all places. Or William, for that matter. Not while Charles is alive. He has poured his heart and soul into that house and those gardens and made them one of the primary representations to the world of who he is. His sons have been witness to a lot of the effort and thought that Charles has put into it over the years. I can't imagine either William or Harry would be comfortable with trying to make the place his own. Like another poster said, I think it's far more likely Charles will work out some kind of deal with the Duchy, be it a lease or some other arrangement, to keep Highgrove as a personal getaway. And after he dies, I could see Highgrove becoming a museum that makes money for the duchy and serves as a memorial to Charles rather than a home to future royals.

Which still leaves the question of Harry's house. I'm not sure we truly know enough about Harry's leanings to make a good guess as to whether he'd prefer the big country house/London bolthole arrangement or the main house in London/small place somewhere else scenario. And some of that may depend on the personality of the woman he marries, be it Megan or someone else entirely.
...just as much as it will depend on the personality of the kind of community they move into. Hopefully non-hostile, but welcoming. Personally I feel London would be a safer option as the main residencial area to settle into for Harry & Meghan if they do end up getting married and starting a family together. With a smaller place in the country perhaps. My opinion, but obviously whatever happens will be down to them.

Tags
highgrove, prince harry, prince william, residences