Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Apartment 1 even open though? I don't think Harry and Meghan will need a home as big as William and Kate since they aren't the future heir or King and Queen. If they marry, I think they'll use Nottingham Cottage for the first year or so while something else is prepared or until they need a bigger space.

Is Apartment 1 even open though? I don't think Harry and Meghan will need a home as big as William and Kate since they aren't the future heir or King and Queen. If they marry, I think they'll use Nottingham Cottage for the first year or so while something else is prepared or until they need a bigger space.

The Gloucester currently occupies Apartment 1. I believe it was offered to William and Kate when they were deciding where to live. Princess Michael of Kent has made some comments about them willing to move in the past. Anyways, I don't think it'd be out of line for Harry and wife to take over an apartment from the Gloucesters due to anything like size if it becomes available. But again, too close would probably be a bigger thing to consider. :lol:

It's likely that there will be shifts in living space in the future as new monarchs take over. I know there has been discussions about the monarch not living at BP in the future, but Charles has basically said that BP is the official home of the monarch, so it seems he'd at least spend some time there. Things can change in the future and William might stay at KP, but that's far off and too many things can happen before then.

I don't think they'll have that much time to look for a place and get the renovation done if they start a family right away since that's Harry's base. It's a two bedroom cottage, and a nanny will be hired within months of a child's birth since Harry and wife will both be taking on royal duties.

The Gloucesters are still living in Apartment 1. Yes I do believe that like the Cambridges, they would live at Nott Cott until a larger home could be found for them in the KP complex. They'd need something that could be large enough for a family with some guest space too. IMO one of KP's perks is the opportunity to use the State Apartments for events. William and Catherine have each held their own separate events at this historic part of the palace.

The Gloucester currently occupies Apartment 1. I believe it was offered to William and Kate when they were deciding where to live. Princess Michael of Kent has made some comments about them willing to move in the past. Anyways, I don't think it'd be out of line for Harry and wife to take over an apartment from the Gloucesters due to anything like size if it becomes available. But again, too close would probably be a bigger thing to consider. :lol:

It's likely that there will be shifts in living space in the future as new monarchs take over. I know there has been discussions about the monarch not living at BP in the future, but Charles has basically said that BP is the official home of the monarch, so it seems he'd at least spend some time there. Things can change in the future and William might stay at KP, but that's far off and too many things can happen before then.

I don't think they'll have that much time to look for a place and get the renovation done if they start a family right away since that's Harry's base. It's a two bedroom cottage, and a nanny will be hired within months of a child's birth since Harry and wife will both be taking on royal duties.

I don't think the Gloucesters moving is necessary. I think they should stay and another apartment be renovated. To me, the most likely choice will be to stay at KP so I don't think it'll be that big of a deal to look at the options there.

I don't think the Gloucesters moving is necessary. I think they should stay and another apartment be renovated. JMO

It all depends. No one is going to be kicking the Gloucesters out by any means. But if they offer to move out and Harry needs bigger place to accommodate his family, I don't think it's against any rules.

It all depends. No one is going to be kicking the Gloucesters out by any means. But if they offer to move out and Harry needs bigger place to accommodate his family, I don't think it's against any rules.

Perhaps but there are certainly other apartments at KP.

We discussed this earlier in the thread--Apartment 4B is currently empty and has been for several years.

The Gloucesters have been living in Apartment 1 for years. The have leased out their country home since 1994 for an income. I doubt they want to move.

Last edited:
The Gloucesters offering was a rumor, one never confirmed, and one highly unlikely. They lease out their home because of costs. And until they retire from royal duties, which isn't likely for some years to come, they need a London base.

Apartment 4b is simply easiest. 6 bedrooms (if they have 2 kids lets say, that leaves room for a nanny and 2 guest rooms). Has been used recently so it only needs minimal redecorating likely (no rewiring and such like Cambridges). And no need to move anyone out.

Kensington Palace seems the most likely place as a main house IMO. Looking through the thread, others have thrown out other options, but considering Harry's office is at KP and the work with The Royal Foundation, I don't see anything else as practical or probable.

Are there any pictures of the interior of Apartment 4B? I'm having trouble locating any.

Are there any pictures of the interior of Apartment 4B? I'm having trouble locating any.

Same. Really want to see what it looks inside.

From what I read on here apparently the apartment is quite lavish.

Last edited by a moderator:

No, even the information on it isn't clear. Some articles say 5 bedrooms, others 6. It has been a private residence for many years to royal staff, so not likely to have been photographed. And seems to have been updated during those times.

It has the makings of a sweet one for the independently-wealthy Sir Michael who will earn at least £300,000 and keep the magnificent five-bedroom, four-bathroom apartment he and his family occupy in Kensington Palace. Floored with the finest Italian marble, hung with priceless paintings from the Royal collection, and featuring a magnificent sweeping staircase, the Peats' pad might be seen as evidence of an otherwise concealed taste for the high life.

No, even the information on it isn't clear. Some articles say 5 bedrooms, others 6. It has been a private residence for many years to royal staff, so not likely to have been photographed. And seems to have been updated during those times.

More description I ever read. Inside must be beautiful!

I wonder if they could combine 4a & 4b, much as they combined 8 & 9 for Charles and Diana. Harry will need space for staff/nurseries/nanny & 4a might serve for that.
Which apartments have gardens? I've read that the garden Diana used was next to apt. 7.

I wonder if they could combine 4a & 4b, much as they combined 8 & 9 for Charles and Diana. Harry will need space for staff/nurseries/nanny & 4a might serve for that.
Which apartments have gardens? I've read that the garden Diana used was next to apt. 7.

Other then a nanny, the staff wouldn't live with them. Six bedrooms leaves after the master, room for 2/3 kids rooms, a nanny and one or two guest bedrooms (depending on how many kids).

Besides 'staff rooms' are usually not included in the counting of bedrooms. The Cambridge apartments are said to have 9 rooms for servants, but those aren't included in official counts. In official description of their home, it has 5 bedrooms.

But yes 4A seems to be empty right now, and is considered quite small and modest so it could be used to expand 4b. Not saying it would.

Other then a nanny, the staff wouldn't live with them. Six bedrooms leaves after the master, room for 2/3 kids rooms, a nanny and one or two guest bedrooms (depending on how many kids).

Besides 'staff rooms' are usually not included in the counting of bedrooms. The Cambridge apartments are said to have 9 rooms for servants, but those aren't included in official counts. In official description of their home, it has 5 bedrooms.

But yes 4A seems to be empty right now, and is considered quite small and modest so it could be used to expand 4b. Not saying it would.

I wouldn't be shocked if that were to happen and it makes sense. Apt 4a(how many rooms?) would be for security and staff and 4b would be family home of the kids and nannies.

:previous: That's if they want a major London home, not so? :flowers:

If they get a country home close to London, that will be where they lodge even for London events, yes?

If they get a country home close to London, that will be where they lodge even for London events, yes?[/QUOTE]

No. They will have a London base one way or another.

Look at Andrew and Edward. Their homes are at Windsor, not that far from London in reality. But they both have apartments in Buckingham palace to use when they are in London for events.

If harry goes for a larger country home, it isn't likely to be any closer then Windsor. Rumors (of course rumors taken with a truck load of salt) are either the Cotswolds or Norfolk. Neither are a descent proximinity to London for it to be his only base.

So either a large Kensington apartment as main home and likely a small country home.

or

A small apartment like his Uncles and Anne for times in London (extra bedrooms if the kids come but not a full home) and a large country home, possibly a royal lease like his Uncles.

It seems most people are leaning towards the second, as Harry and Meghan both seem city people.

If they get a country home close to London, that will be where they lodge even for London events, yes?

I think large apartment at Kensington and a country home somewhere.

With the Queen’s advanced ago, wouldn’t a larger country house for Harry, and apartments needed elsewhere for Andrew and Edward? Margaret didn’t stay when the QM left.

With the Queen’s advanced ago, wouldn’t a larger country house for Harry, and apartments needed elsewhere for Andrew and Edward? Margaret didn’t stay when the QM left.

Margaret didn't stay because she was living with the queen mother as she was unmarried. They were living in the apartments that the queen mum had shared with her husband. They needed to move, as those apartments now belonged to the new queen and her husband.

Andrew and Edward do not live in the queen's suites, they have their own. There is no reason they would need to move. They are in Buckingham, because like SJP, there are small suites of rooms (not full apartments) which is what they need as their main home are in the country.

As for Harry needing a large country home why? Margaret wasn't shipped off to the country when her sister was queen. Besides Harry wont be brother of the king, he will be son. Margaret lived in Clarence house with her mother until she married. And then was given the apartments the Cambridges now live in.

Harry only needs a large country home IF he chooses to make that his primary home.

If Harry wants a home/weekend getaway in the country I think one will be provided for him. Whether he wants one is a different issue & he may well not want the expense of 2 residences, after all he has access to the Royal estates.
IMO what was or wasn't given to past generations isn't persuasive for a couple of reasons. Charles, unlike the Queen, has had decades of income from the Duchy of Cornwall thus he's probably financially able to provide for his second son @ present.
While the Queen has had decades of income from the Duchy of Lancaster she has also been subsidizing 4 adult children, her mother and sister in the past as well as assorted cousins. Charles has only 2 children and while he will inherit some financial responsibility for his 3 siblings & the remaining cousins, it seems to me that Charles will have less familial demands on his income than the Queen going forward.

Apartment 4B as their primary residence and a nice size country home is what I think is most likely right now.

Is Princess Eugenie still interested in moving there?

I had heard only Diana's old apartment is available/empty/?

Last edited:
Are there any empty apartments at Kensington Palace?

Apartment 4B is empty and has been since 2011. It has been mentioned as a future home for Harry since then. It has been reported that Apartment 4A is also empty currently.

Will Prince Harry move into lavish London bachelor pad? - Telegraph

Princess Eugenie still hasn't moved AFAIK. But she was rumored to be moving into one of the cottages-Ivy Cottage.

Princess Diana's old apartments are not empty, they are W,K & H's offices for their staff.

No as mentioned a number of times, apartment 4b has been open for years. And is large and quite elegant.

The rumors are that Eugenie is planning on moving into ivy cottage. Its a three bedroom cottage near Wren and Notts cottage on the grounds of the palace.

Princess Diana's they would need to find new office space as it is currently used by the staff for the Cambridges and Harry.

Apartment 4B is empty and has been since 2011. It has been mentioned as a future home for Harry since then. It has been reported that Apartment 4A is also empty currently.

4A would only work alone if Harry wasn't using London as his primary home. 4a is said to be quite small and modest. The only way it could work as a main home, is combining with 4b.

Last edited:
No as mentioned a number of times, apartment 4b has been open for years. And is large and quite elegant.

The rumors are that Eugenie is planning on moving into ivy cottage. Its a three bedroom cottage near Wren and Notts cottage on the grounds of the palace.

Princess Diana's they would need to find new office space as it is currently used by the staff for the Cambridges and Harry.

4A would only work alone if Harry wasn't using London as his primary home. 4a is said to be quite small and modest. The only way it could work as a main home, is combining with 4b.

Best thing is combining 4a and 4B as a london home for Harry same when Diana and Charles had Apt 8 and 9 combined.

Posters are saying that Apt 4B is very opulent. :flowers: Are there pictures we can see? I haven't found any in a google search.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom