The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #521  
Old 09-19-2017, 08:23 PM
miche's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 814
Anne, Andrew and Edward were not giving London Apartments along with Country homes. Why would Harry be different?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #522  
Old 09-19-2017, 08:35 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 13,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
Anne, Andrew and Edward were not giving London Apartments along with Country homes. Why would Harry be different?
All their apartments are at Buckingham Palace. The Queen bought Gatecombe for Anne, the Crown Estate leased Bagshot to Edward and the Crown Estate purchased the land for Sunninghill Park, on The Queen's behalf, for Andrew.

An estate or land will be made available for Harry.
__________________

__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #523  
Old 09-19-2017, 08:46 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: st. paul, United States
Posts: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
Anne, Andrew and Edward were not giving London Apartments along with Country homes. Why would Harry be different?
Yes, I very much doubt Harry will be given two grand homes. But he would probably be given one grand, and one small (relatively speaking).

So he'll either follow his aunt and uncles footsteps and have a grand home in the counties and a small apartment at BP/SJP, or he'll do the opposite, and have a large fancy apartment at KP and maybe a 'small' 3/4 bedroom cottage on one of the royal estates. Or maybe he'd opt for place in Africa as his second house, and will continue to spend a couple months every summer in Africa.

It will be interesting how it plays out.
Reply With Quote
  #524  
Old 09-19-2017, 08:54 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 13,321
Nottingham Cottage is more of a bachelor pad than a family home though. Harry won't be there for long, I don't think.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #525  
Old 09-19-2017, 08:57 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 6,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
Anne, Andrew and Edward were not giving London Apartments along with Country homes. Why would Harry be different?
They all do have a London apartment and a country home. Do they have a massive London home like the Cambridges or Charles? No. But they have apartments at Buckingham palace. And they all have a country estate that is their main home. A similar situation is quite likely for Harry.
Reply With Quote
  #526  
Old 09-19-2017, 09:33 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,742
I can't see Clarence House being an option. However, a three or four bedroom country cottage for a couple who may end up with two children or more and probably a need for RPO accommodation for several years seems a bit snug to say the least.

There are two main differences between housing for the Queen's children and housing for Charles's son. The Queen had three children to buy land for and lease and help build property.

Charles has only one son to help house. William is already fixed up. Charles has had the benefit of Duchy money for decades. The Queen did not.

We don't know what plans Charles has for Highgrove for instance. It's surplus to William's needs and to Charles as King. And before anyone says Highgrove is in the possession of the Duchy of Cornwall, I know.

That wouldnt prevent Charles from buying it for his son or pushing for Harry to have it on a 99 year lease if he wishes. That depends on whether Harry wants Highgrove of course, if it was offered. It's more likely he would want somewhere near Sandringham. That may not mean a small cottage, however.

Everyone points to the Queen's children having this and that. Margaret was in a special position as her mother was still alive, Lord Snowden had a country place and Margaret was an urbanite anyway, plus had Lord Glenconner's wedding present of land on Mustique. George V's sons had London houses and country places that weren't cottages.

Because Charles has only Harry to help accommodate, everything is up in the air as regards Harry's homes, IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #527  
Old 09-19-2017, 10:10 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: st. paul, United States
Posts: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I can't see Clarence House being an option. However, a three or four bedroom country cottage for a couple who may end up with two children or more and probably a need for RPO accommodation for several years seems a bit snug to say the least.

There are two main differences between housing for the Queen's children and housing for Charles's son. The Queen had three children to buy land for and lease and help build property.

Charles has only one son to help house. William is already fixed up. Charles has had the benefit of Duchy money for decades. The Queen did not.

We don't know what plans Charles has for Highgrove for instance. It's surplus to William's needs and to Charles as King. And before anyone says Highgrove is in the possession of the Duchy of Cornwall, I know.

That wouldnt prevent Charles from buying it for his son or pushing for Harry to have it on a 99 year lease if he wishes. That depends on whether Harry wants Highgrove of course, if it was offered. It's more likely he would want somewhere near Sandringham. That may not mean a small cottage, however.

Everyone points to the Queen's children having this and that. Margaret was in a special position as her mother was still alive, Lord Snowden had a country place and Margaret was an urbanite anyway, plus had Lord Glenconner's wedding present of land on Mustique. George V's sons had London houses and country places that weren't cottages.

Because Charles has only Harry to help accommodate, everything is up in the air as regards Harry's homes, IMO.
Highgrove won't be surplus to Willam's needs as heir. He'll need close access to his duchy just like Charles currently does. You could argue Amner will become surplus to William's needs as heir once he has Highgrove and presumably Birkhall, I'll be more interested to see if William juggles four residences like King Charles or if they lease out Amner again.
Reply With Quote
  #528  
Old 09-19-2017, 10:38 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Highgrove won't be surplus to Willam's needs as heir. He'll need close access to his duchy just like Charles currently does. You could argue Amner will become surplus to William's needs as heir once he has Highgrove and presumably Birkhall, I'll be more interested to see if William juggles four residences like King Charles or if they lease out Amner again.
I don't think Highgrove gives close access to Cornwall. Highgrove is in Gloucestershire nearly 200 miles from Cornwall. Granted it is a lot closer than Anmer.
Reply With Quote
  #529  
Old 09-19-2017, 10:45 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 6,572
When his father is king, William will likely continue to use Amner. And quite possibly Birkhall. His father will have full reign of Balmoral. But when William is king, yes I think Amner will stand vacant as it has in past, or be rented as it has been before. It may be used by George or Charlotte as adults. But when he is king, William wont be living in Amner.

Highgrove is not in Cornwall, it is in Gloucestershire. It is much closer to Wales then to Cornwall, whether it is owned by the duchy or not. Charles has homes in his two main areas, Wales (LLwynmerwod) and Cornwall (Tamarisk). Tamarisk is located on the isles of Scilly, off the coast of Cornwall.
Reply With Quote
  #530  
Old 09-19-2017, 10:46 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 3,814
Why couldn't Harry use his childhood home at KP?
The same apartments Diana had?

Then he could also have a place in the country, perhaps in Norfolk near William and all their friends.
Reply With Quote
  #531  
Old 09-19-2017, 10:47 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: st. paul, United States
Posts: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I don't think Highgrove gives close access to Cornwall. Highgrove is in Gloucestershire nearly 200 miles from Cornwall. Granted it is a lot closer than Anmer.
I was talking more about all the land the duchy owns and manages, Highgrove will give William a much closer base to the 'action'.
Reply With Quote
  #532  
Old 09-19-2017, 10:55 PM
JR76's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 1,263
Maybe Charles will stay on at Highgrove? Why would he have to move even if it's on Cornwall land or not? There's no law that says he has to do anything exactly his parents way.
Reply With Quote
  #533  
Old 09-19-2017, 10:57 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,742
The Duchy owns land all over the place, including London and in other counties like Kent.
Reply With Quote
  #534  
Old 09-19-2017, 11:01 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 6,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I was talking more about all the land the duchy owns and manages, Highgrove will give William a much closer base to the 'action'.
The duchy owns land in 23 counties. Unless William is going to have a home in 23 counties, he will do as his father has in the past. Charles doesn't live at High Grove to be close to land of his duchy, but as his private home base. Amner is that for William. Highgrove gives them a base for a tiny percent of what the duchy owns.
Reply With Quote
  #535  
Old 09-19-2017, 11:26 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: st. paul, United States
Posts: 1,379
Duchy owns land in a variety of places but by far it's largest holdings are in Devon, Herefordshire, Somerset and Cornwall. Highgrove is in a perfect spot between London where William will often need to be for royal duties, and these land areas and most of the duchy offices. If William intends to be as hands on as Charles is with the duchy then this will be important.

William might like Amner but I see nothing to indicate he's so in love with it that he'll turn his nose to the much more practical Highgrove when he's heir. The main reason Amner was even their main base was for EAAA, now that's not a issue anymore. It's not like William hasn't shown a willingness to move for his work, since he married his main base has shifted from Anglelsey to Norfolk to now London. And in London, in the last 7 years his homes has shifted from CH to Nott Cott to 1A. He seems very adaptable to change and moves accordingly.

We are getting off topic because this is Harry's thread. So I'll just say I'll be shocked if Harry moves into Highgrove.
Reply With Quote
  #536  
Old 09-19-2017, 11:26 PM
hel hel is offline
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Kitchener, Canada
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Why couldn't Harry use his childhood home at KP?
The same apartments Diana had?

Then he could also have a place in the country, perhaps in Norfolk near William and all their friends.
Because they've turned it to other uses. At least some of it is used as a media/reception area for the trio. Things that have been held in that space:
  • Almost every interview you see of William and Harry (e.g. Ant and Dec for TPT, the Diana ones)
  • Kate hosting the Huffington Post mental health issue
  • William's meetings at KP for the Cyberbullying
  • William inviting Attitude magazine and members of the LGBT community to KP
  • William and Kate meeting the BBC Radio 1's Teen Heroes
  • The reception ahead of the India and Bhutan trip

IIRC, they spoke of it when they were taking Ant and Dec upstairs to the room where they were doing the interview, because they passed a massive painting of Diana that's on the stairway.
Reply With Quote
  #537  
Old 09-20-2017, 12:05 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 11,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post

That wouldnt prevent Charles from buying it for his son or pushing for Harry to have it on a 99 year lease if he wishes.
The fact that is now belongs to the Duchy of Cornwall is the very reason Charles can't 'buy it'.

Cornwall property - like Lancaster - can't be sold.

Once Charles is King he won't have any say over the Duchy of Cornwall anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #538  
Old 09-20-2017, 12:24 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 6,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Duchy owns land in a variety of places but by far it's largest holdings are in Devon, Herefordshire, Somerset and Cornwall. Highgrove is in a perfect spot between London where William will often need to be for royal duties, and these land areas and most of the duchy offices. If William intends to be as hands on as Charles is with the duchy then this will be important.

William might like Amner but I see nothing to indicate he's so in love with it that he'll turn his nose to the much more practical Highgrove when he's heir. The main reason Amner was even their main base was for EAAA, now that's not a issue anymore. It's not like William hasn't shown a willingness to move for his work, since he married his main base has shifted from Anglelsey to Norfolk to now London. And in London, in the last 7 years his homes has shifted from CH to Nott Cott to 1A. He seems very adaptable to change and moves accordingly.

We are getting off topic because this is Harry's thread. So I'll just say I'll be shocked if Harry moves into Highgrove.
Because you seem to be unable to separate private home from working home.

As you keep ignoring, High Grove is not used by Charles because of its location to SOME of his duchy holdings. It is used as his private home, like Birkhall, his retreat in his off hours. Amner is the same for William. William and Kate didn't have kids when they lived in Wales or when they lived in Notts. Amner is where they have made their home with their kids, where they have raised their kids so far. There is obvious links to the home for him.

Charles can not buy High Grove for Harry but he very could arrange a lease while he is Duke. While High grove is only a very minimal part of the duchy, it plays a major role in the prince's trust and Charles' private work. When he is king, the trust will need to be over seen by someone. Though William may take it, its just as likely Harry may (like Edward with the DOE awards). Living at High grove would be part of that.

Reality is William like his father will be king. He will have all of the royal estates one day. And properties like his father's home in Cornwall and Wales. Like all monarchs for him, he will have access to all the accommodation he requires when he travels through his country on duties. It is younger children of the monarch that need to be seen to, for their future housing. In the past this was done with buying new homes (Gatcombe, Sunninghill) and now with royal leases (Bagshot, royal lodge). The lease option seems the most likely.
Reply With Quote
  #539  
Old 09-20-2017, 12:32 AM
hel hel is offline
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Kitchener, Canada
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The fact that is now belongs to the Duchy of Cornwall is the very reason Charles can't 'buy it'.

Cornwall property - like Lancaster - can't be sold.

Once Charles is King he won't have any say over the Duchy of Cornwall anyway.
That's not exactly true. Charles cannot sell capital assets for his own benefit, which is to say, he is not entitled to the proceeds or profit on the sale of capital assets.

In fact, there are currently two properties for sale by the Duchy: some vacant land at Hoarwithy and Treskelly Farmhouse (Lettings & Sales | The Duchy of Cornwall).
Reply With Quote
  #540  
Old 09-20-2017, 12:35 AM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 3,013
It seems to me that Highgrove will become an open museum-kind of thing. Why not? Those beautiful gardens have been hosting visitors all these years. It's been such a labor of love for Charles. (I find it hard to believe he will easily give it up in fact. Something about that doesn't compute for me). Has a store. Why not open it to the public in a more obvious way, make it available for conferences, etc. Just an idea.
__________________

__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
highgrove, prince harry, prince william, residences


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
best outfit birthday carl gustaf chris o'neill crown princess mary crown princess victoria current events cymry denmark duchess of cornwall earl of snowdon general news grand duchess maria teresa hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta sofia iñaki urdangarín king felipe king felipe vi king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia liechtenstein monarchy news picture of the week prince alexander prince carl philip prince daniel prince felix prince gabriel prince harry prince nicholas prince oscar princess beatrice princess claire of luxembourg princess estelle princess eugenie princess leonore princess madeleine princess mary current events princess of asturias princess sofia princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia cocktail dresses queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen mathilde daytime fashion queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania daytime fashion queen silvia sofia state visit stephanie sweden swedish royal family victoria



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:33 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises