The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-26-2017, 10:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for posting this, Dman. The theory that the Gloucesters might move out to something more manageable as they get into their later years has been around for some time. I remember it was discussed at the time Will and Kate got engaged. The Gloucesters supposedly offered to move out.

It's something to keep an eye on, as when Harry marries, and my guess is it will be next year, some apartment or house will have to be refurbished for him, that's obvious. Any renovations needed would take some time but after babies come Nott Cott will not be suitable, and how many other 21 room apartments are there knocking around at KP? At the moment windows and roof only, but it's interesting to speculate, nevertheless.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:51 PM
Heir Apparent

I've heard that Harry will get Diana's apartments one day to use as his London base, and then something more substantial in Norfolk.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

You're welcome, Curryong. I'm not sure if Harry will get the Gloucester residence, but I think it's a very good idea. The Gloucester's really don't need such a large residence, now that their family are grown and moved out. He's going to need to a larger space eventually. He's going to get married and have some babies.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-26-2017, 11:22 PM
Majesty

I'm betting his country home will be close to W&K if not on the same estate...makes sense.

LaRae
Old 06-27-2017, 12:41 AM
Majesty

Pure speculation as it was with William. Rumors about Diana suites too, especially since new office space us being built. But time will tell.

I guess they could play musical homes. The couple could move into Nott cottage. They still own their manor but they lease it out. I don't see them moving back to Barnwell unless they retire from duties.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Why would Harry get a home in both London and the country? Andrew, Edward and Anne all have substantial country residences but only apartments in either BP or St James' as their London bases. Harry, like them, is the younger child. Historically the younger children either get a substantial London base OR a substantial country base but not both.

Of course he does have the money, from Diana, to buy his own country estate but he can't really expect to get more than Andrew or Anne?

William, having the large KP and home at Anmer is because he is the future King and will one day own Sandringham. The difference between the future King and the minor sibling his very real in the royal family pecking order e.g. anything Harry inherits from the Queen or Charles will be subject to inheritance tax but William won't pay inheritance tax on anything from Charles (he will from the Queen as it is only monarch to monarch inheritance that is tax free).
Old 06-27-2017, 04:30 AM
Courtier

About 90 years left on the 99 year lease Andrew has on Royal Lodge makes that unavailable. I am sure it is written that even if he dies, his daughters have use of it until the end of the lease
Old 07-24-2017, 09:55 AM
Majesty

I think an apartment at either KP or SJP will be found for Harry .

In the next reign, it is possibly Harry may also get a smallish country home, either on the Sandringham estate, or in the west Country.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
Brian Hoey's book "Not in Front of the Corgis" implied that it was very grand and being considered for Prince William and Kate a few years ago but both Princess Alexandra and her brother The Duke of Kent pushed back and Alexandra got to remain there.

The flat is off Engine Court.
Thanks for citing the Brian Hoey book. I'd never heard of it. I looked for an E-book copy to read. It's fun to read about the Queen walking around the various palaces with her corgis having the full run, and no one being allowed to pet them, except her!

I hope Harry and his future wife and family will be happy wherever they end up residing.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
... William, having the large KP and home at Anmer is because he is the future King and will one day own Sandringham. The difference between the future King and the minor sibling his very real in the royal family pecking order e.g. anything Harry inherits from the Queen or Charles will be subject to inheritance tax but William won't pay inheritance tax on anything from Charles (he will from the Queen as it is only monarch to monarch inheritance that is tax free).
Thanks for explaining. That's all very interesting. What would happen if William, as King, decides to pass off something or other to his brother Harry? No go I suppose? He'd only be allowed to pass off properties to Prince George to avoid taxes?

I suppose it's all different for exclusive family articles of inheritance (such as expensive jewelry, antiques, and rare wedding gifts of china, etc. that the royal family have accumulated over the years)?
Old 07-24-2017, 02:22 PM
Royal Highness

William could pass anything he wants to anyone he wants (though I think Sandringham and Balmoral may be held in trust). The difference is whatever King William leaves to George will be tax free (supposing the rules aren't changed by then) while whatever he leaves to others - Charlotte, Harry etc will be taxed in the same way as any other person.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:27 PM
Heir Apparent

The monarch or the heir is basically the only people that can afford multiple homes. William doesn't own Anmer (Queen does)and Charles doesn't own Highgrove (Duchy of Cornwall does). The private estates like Sandringham and Balmoral can be left to anyone but they will have to pay inheritance tax. Plus they cost a lot of money to maintain and don't bring tons of money to support themselves. So if anyone else gets them, it almost guarantees that they will be sold off
Old 07-24-2017, 02:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The monarch or the heir is basically the only people that can afford multiple homes. William doesn't own Anmer (Queen does)and Charles doesn't own Highgrove (Duchy of Cornwall does). The private estates like Sandringham and Balmoral can be left to anyone but they will have to pay inheritance tax. Plus they cost a lot of money to maintain and don't bring tons of money to support themselves. So if anyone else gets them, it almost guarantees that they will be sold off
Also, giving anyone but someone in the direct line a house on the Sandringham or Balmoral Estates raises the possibility of those estates being broken up in the future. The Queen could give Charles a cottage at Balmoral and William a house a Sandringham with little or no concern about future complications because both men are line to one day own the estates in their entirety, anyway.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:46 PM
Heir Apparent

There isn't a need to actually transfer ownership of anything to Charles or William before they become monarch
Old 07-24-2017, 06:47 PM
Courtier

Future Home for Prince Harry

The devil in Harry may find him wanting Fort Belvedere near Windsor, and he might end up with the life use of Birkhall in Scotland, and York Cottage, or one of the others at Sandringham. After all, Charles only has 2 children. Easier than 4.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:19 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
Also, giving anyone but someone in the direct line a house on the Sandringham or Balmoral Estates raises the possibility of those estates being broken up in the future. The Queen could give Charles a cottage at Balmoral and William a house a Sandringham with little or no concern about future complications because both men are line to one day own the estates in their entirety, anyway.
After the trouble the BRF went to buying those two estates back from the Duke of Windsor, I imagine they are pretty well tied up legally. Before that, they were left to the King/Queen's heir just as the Duchy of Cornwall went to the eldest son and heir. Fortunately, the Duchy of Cornwall was no longer his as he was no longer the heir.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:36 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
The devil in Harry may find him wanting Fort Belvedere near Windsor, and he might end up with the life use of Birkhall in Scotland, and York Cottage, or one of the others at Sandringham. After all, Charles only has 2 children. Easier than 4.
I think he will live close to William, on the same estate.

LaRae
Old 07-24-2017, 11:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
Thanks for explaining. That's all very interesting. What would happen if William, as King, decides to pass off something or other to his brother Harry? No go I suppose? He'd only be allowed to pass off properties to Prince George to avoid taxes?

I suppose it's all different for exclusive family articles of inheritance (such as expensive jewelry, antiques, and rare wedding gifts of china, etc. that the royal family have accumulated over the years)?
Anything William leaves to anyone other than his successor as King (assuming he becomes King) is subject to the same inheritance tax as anyone else which is why Margaret's children and the Gloucester's and Kent's had to sell jewellery etc.

Most of the 'exclusive family articles' are actually the possession of the people through the Royal Collection and so can't be sold or left to anyone. There are some private pieces of jewellery that can be left but again if not via monarch to monarch transfer they attract the same rates of inheritance tax - which is very high and has seen many British families have to sell their artworks and even their homes to pay it.

The Queen will therefore leave the vast bulk of her estate to Charles and he will leave it to William and William to George. In each generation the monarch will hope and pray that the new monarch will continue to support their siblings and anyone else that the previous monarch has been supporting e.g. The Queen would expect that Charles would continue to support her first cousins as she has done (Richard, Edward, Michael and Alexandra) along with his own siblings and Harry and Harry's family. In turn Charles would expect William to continue to support any of these who are still living when he goes. This is one reason why Charles doesn't want the York girls working for the Firm - as he doesn't want to have to support them and nor does William.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:07 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
... This is one reason why Charles doesn't want the York girls working for the Firm - as he doesn't want to have to support them and nor does William.
Do we know this for sure, or is it just a (logical) guess?

Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-25-2017, 01:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Do we know this for sure, or is it just a (logical) guess?
Nothing official has been stated as far as I know.

LaRae

Tags
highgrove, prince harry, prince william, residences