The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-26-2017, 11:24 PM
Courtier

My understanding is that it was Winston Churchill who requested / ordered the Queen to move to Buckingham Palace. I think the circumstances were different because the Queen Mother and Margaret lived at Buckingham Palace and perhaps Churchill thought that the Queen being based out of Buckingham Palace solidified her position as monarch.

When Charles becomes King there will not be a middle-aged, beloved and splendiferous widowed parent around to "compete." Yeah Philip may be around but I don't think that there will be the same kind of optics issues if Philip remains at Buckingham Palace while the monarch resides and his court are based in a "lesser" location. Although I'm thinking that if Philip survives Elizabeth that he will spend most of his time at Windsor.

Having said that, I think that Charles may be able get away with not moving to BP but I am not sure if William can.

Oh yeah Harry, I'm thinking large home purchased by Charles or something big at Windsor, a modest London apartment and even though there is not a lot of precedent for a non-heir, a substantial home at Sandringham or Balmoral.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:16 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think a lot hinges on this 10 year renovation project starting in April. In 10 years, Charles will be 78 and Camilla even older. Who knows what will happen between now and then. Charles may opt out to stay at Clarence House at least until the renovations are completed and maybe even after that decide to remain. The renovations that are being done are to fortify and bring up to date a building of national interest so I don't think the public would complain overly much.

As William has a country house on the Sandringham estate, maybe Harry will also to be close to William and their families grow together. I'd not be surprised if Harry finds a country home either at Windsor or Balmoral. So many ifs about the whole future housing thing that its impossible to actually know what will be.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:31 AM
Nobility

Originally posted by Lady Nimue:
"Come to think of it, where are the polo matches? I seem to recall a flow of them with William and Harry participating. Is that a seasonal thing, or have the brothers stopped playing?"

Based on last year's round of polo matches, it looks as if they take place in May and June. The brothers were playing last year, so they surely still play.

Some articles from last year:

Prince Harry plays polo at Cowarth Park Polo club | Daily Mail Online

Princes William and Harry play polo at Audi event in Coworth Park | Daily Mail Online

Prince William takes part in charity polo match in Cirencester | Daily Mail Online

Here's info on plans for renovations to Orangery at KP:

Old 03-27-2017, 03:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote from Iluvbertie

Harry does have the income from his inheritance from Diana to use as well - assuming he hasn't spent it all already. Maybe he should do so - and buy himself a country estate if he wants one.

End Quote.

Is that what the Queen suggested Anne do for her estate, or Edward, or Andrew with his home? Why would an exception be made for Harry? And do you have any evidence that Harry has been using the principal of the millions left to him by his mother? If so I'd like to hear it!
Old 03-27-2017, 04:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

I have no idea what he has done with his money - and it is his business.

He may have spent it all on parties and holidays or may have invested it wisely. He does go to a lot of parties and holidays and someone has to pay.

I did say 'assuming he hasn't spent it all' - not that he had spent it.

Yes he should pay for his own home.

The Queen bought Anne's home. Edward's and Andrew's are leased - Edward's on an annual basis I believe and the lease is being paid by The Queen (no idea what will happen when she dies - will Charles continue to pay it or will Edward have to leave???). Andrew had enough money to pay a 75 year lease up front and so has about 65 years to run on that property.

By the way to quote someone simply press 'quote' at the bottom of the post and remove anything you don't want - it makes it clearer that you are quoting someone.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:37 AM
Heir Apparent

So it's fine for the Queen to buy an estate for her daughter and pay the leases for two of her sons, but not for Charles to buy a home for Harry, the younger of his two sons? Why should Harry have to pay out of his own pocket when every other senior member hasn't ?

Actually, I can see a home on the Sandringham estates for Harry, either through the good graces of the Queen, but almost certainly of Charles.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:48 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't rate him as a reporter but I know some people on here swear by him. On this, though, I agree. Take it for what's it worth

Richard Palmer‏ @RoyalReporter
Prince Harry will clearly need a bigger place soon but my understanding is there's nowhere currently earmarked for him at Kensington Palace.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, but later in the conversation Richard goes on to speculate that Harry might settle eventually at Clarence House. He says hes often thought that might be, if Charles and Camilla move out in the next reign. That's a beautiful old home but would need ongoing maintenance.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:35 AM
Heir Apparent

I think Clarence House is a little too grand for someone in Harry's position in the family.

I do think he will eventually settle in an apartment in KP just not in the near future. He's still single and Nott Cottage was good enough for the Cambridges when they first married.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:46 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
There is not a pressing need for Harry to move from Nott Cottage to a larger place right now. Not until he has a child on the way would he need a larger space.
What is the size of Nottingham Cottage (sq ft)?

I love the idea of a smaller living space as a single/newlywed. Did William and Catherine live there briefly - or am I imagining that?

I have four kids, and we maintain a good-sized and busy home. My dream is to move to a small home/cottage on the water in my older years!
Old 03-27-2017, 09:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
According to 'insiders' and the DM, Harry has been searching for a country home in Norfolk, to Charles's dismay, for about a year.

Prince Harry hunts for £3m countryside home in his 'happy place' Norfolk | Daily Mail Online

I think those houses are all beautiful!

There's just something about old houses- they have a grace and charm unlike so many ugly new builds (Yes, I am thinking of Sunninghill Park!)
Old 03-27-2017, 10:46 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think a lot hinges on this 10 year renovation project starting in April. In 10 years, Charles will be 78 and Camilla even older. Who knows what will happen between now and then. Charles may opt out to stay at Clarence House at least until the renovations are completed and maybe even after that decide to remain.
I can't help but wonder if the move to finally start working on Buck House might not have been timed strategically so as to (a) give the Queen an out to finally leave the one royal residence she never really wanted to live in and (b) improve Charles' chances of being able to stay at Clarence House with a minimum of uproar, by making sure that when it's done he's entered the phase of life where he might be able to beg off as being "too old to move."

Not that it would be a foolproof plan if that were the goal.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:19 PM
Heir Apparent

The Gloucesters have a 21 room apartment at KP. It's said they offered to move when William and Kate became engaged and were looking around for properties, according to Camilla Tominey, and would probably do the same for Harry. The Gloucesters have two places of their own in the country. If their KP flat was renovated that could be a possibility.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:44 PM
Serene Highness

Camilla Tominey also claimed Eugenie was getting engaged in 2016... I can't see the Gloucesters leaving their rent free apartment, where they've lived since 1972.

If the Queen lives for another 10 years, and Harry marries and starts a family in that time frame then I can see these possibilities.

1. Harry and family keep Nott Cott as their London base, but Charles buys them a large country home as their primary residence.

2. If The Duke and Duchess of Kent predecease Harry becoming a father, then Harry and family move into Wren House.

3. Somewhere else at KP is found, either Diana's old apartment or apartment 4b. Something of that ilk.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:07 PM
Heir Apparent

If Harry and his wife have two children or more of different sexes Nott Cott will be extremely squashy for the family (and nanny) as a London residence. If the Gloucesters moved out their old apartment would make an ideal home. If they offered to do so in 2010 they can't be that attached to it. Wren House is fairly large and is another possibility.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
If Harry and his wife have two children or more of different sexes Nott Cott will be extremely squashy for the family (and nanny) as a London residence. If the Gloucesters moved out their old apartment would make an ideal home. If they offered to do so in 2010 they can't be that attached to it. Wren House is fairly large and is another possibility.
Um, you missed the part where I said the country house would be their primary residence. The kids wouldn't be living at Nott Cott, it would only be a stopover home for Harry and wife when they were working late in the city and didn't want to commute back to their main home. Very similar to how Anne, Andrew, and Edward have a small suite of rooms at BP, but they and their families live in the country.

I don't believe the Gloucesters ever offered to leave, that was my other point, I don't rate tabloid sources as credible.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:49 PM
Courtier

My guess is that Harry's primary residence will be a Windsor home or a large home near London but not in London. I don't think that Harry is a dyed-in-the-wool city boy and therefore I don't see him using his "housing allowance" for a big home in London rather he will be based on a large property near London that will allow him to easily participate in his sporty interests.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I have no idea what he has done with his money - and it is his business.

He may have spent it all on parties and holidays or may have invested it wisely. He does go to a lot of parties and holidays and someone has to pay.

I did say 'assuming he hasn't spent it all' - not that he had spent it.

Yes he should pay for his own home.

The Queen bought Anne's home. Edward's and Andrew's are leased - Edward's on an annual basis I believe and the lease is being paid by The Queen (no idea what will happen when she dies - will Charles continue to pay it or will Edward have to leave???). Andrew had enough money to pay a 75 year lease up front and so has about 65 years to run on that property.

By the way to quote someone simply press 'quote' at the bottom of the post and remove anything you don't want - it makes it clearer that you are quoting someone.
The Queen also bought Andrew that monstrosity he and Sarah had built - dubbed South Fork which was recently torn down by the new owner. So the Queen tried to set Andrew up as she had Anne & he did pocket the $13 million or so from its' sale. Andrew's 75 year lease for Royal Lodge at Windsor was arranged after he vacated the property the Queen originally gifted him. So there's precedent for the monarch to gift their children real property.
Edward seems to be the child who received the least, a 50 year lease on Bagshot.
In regards to Harry's finances, I'd submit that he has not traveled to as many exotic locales for weddings & vacations as his cousin Beatrice has in the last couple of years and like her he has his trust from the Queen mother. He also has the money he inherited from his mother. The income from his investments more than likely adequately covers his private activities w/out any need to dip into his capital. He may opt to acquire real estate, or he may opt to inhabit whatever residences the family offer him.
When William and Catherine were considering apartments at KP they supposedly looked at Princess Diana's place and at Princess Margaret's and chose the latter, so I assume the former could be made available for Harry. There are 3 sets of elderly Royal cousins w/ KP apartments/homes that will become available at some point in the future - the Michaels, Kents and Gloucesters, although perhaps not soon enough to fit Harry's needs
Old 03-27-2017, 11:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I don't believe the Gloucesters ever offered to leave, that was my other point, I don't rate tabloid sources as credible.

Of course they wouldn't leave, where else could they find a place in central London for the peppercorn rent they pay?

Lucky for the Gloucesters and the Kents that the Queen intends to honor her pledge to allow them living quarters at KP.

Tags
highgrove, prince harry, prince william, residences