Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that Charles is likely to continue to use Highgrove as a country bolthole, with the agreement of William. Beyond the love and care he's put into it, its proximity to Ray Mill is an essential element of that; everything I've read about Camilla indicates that she requires a bit of space where she can wear boots and breeches and be herself. I cannot imagine her giving up Ray Mill house. And thus, Charles won't give up Highgrove.

Even once Charles passes, I think William and Harry are likely to keep some type of base there, if for no other reason than its proximity to the Beaufort Polo Club. Charles played til he was 57. Highgrove has essential security already in place.

Because you seem to be unable to separate private home from working home.

As you keep ignoring, High Grove is not used by Charles because of its location to SOME of his duchy holdings. It is used as his private home, like Birkhall, his retreat in his off hours. Amner is the same for William. William and Kate didn't have kids when they lived in Wales or when they lived in Notts. Amner is where they have made their home with their kids, where they have raised their kids so far. There is obvious links to the home for him.

Charles can not buy High Grove for Harry but he very could arrange a lease while he is Duke. While High grove is only a very minimal part of the duchy, it plays a major role in the prince's trust and Charles' private work. When he is king, the trust will need to be over seen by someone. Though William may take it, its just as likely Harry may (like Edward with the DOE awards). Living at High grove would be part of that.

Reality is William like his father will be king. He will have all of the royal estates one day. And properties like his father's home in Cornwall and Wales. Like all monarchs for him, he will have access to all the accommodation he requires when he travels through his country on duties. It is younger children of the monarch that need to be seen to, for their future housing. In the past this was done with buying new homes (Gatcombe, Sunninghill) and now with royal leases (Bagshot, royal lodge). The lease option seems the most likely.

I wouldn't say that. For example, the Duchy's largest rural portfolio office and headquarters of it's eastern district is only 23 miles from Highgrove, while this same office is about 195 miles from Amner. Highgrove is a very convenient location.

The leases you mention Bagshot and Royal Lodge, are all properties owned by the Crown Estate, so are you predicting Harry get's leased a CE property?

If I were to guess I'd say Harry either gets an apartment at KP, or Charles (who is very savvy with land investments) will purchase Harry his own estate, a la Gatcombe or Sunninghill, that Harry's children and grandchildren will be able to inherit, and if it's like Gatcombe it could also provide them a livelihood.

:previous: I was speaking of High grove itself, the estate, not the estate office or any other holdings that may be in some distance. Highgrove is only one tiny portion of the duchy. Making it out to be the heart and center, where all business needs to be done, is a stretch at the very best.

The duchy has seven offices. Charles' home are both close to the Scilly, Devon, Dorset and Cornwall offices. There is a fifth office in London.

Yes, my suggestion was a possible royal lease. The reality of owning and running a major estate and keeping it profitable is not easy. Anne is the only one who successfully has done so. It may very well be decided to lease him a home from the crown estate, or from Cornwall, instead of buying one. If he wants his house to be open to his kids, a 90 year lease like Royal lodge, is a very good possibility. Or if there is a home free on the grounds of one of the family estates, perhaps it will lay there. I believe there is a second home on Balmoral that was being said to be rebuilt for Charles. He has birkhall and will have Balmoral. Possibly a Scottish country home and a London base? Who knows.

But all this talk about slimming down the monarchy, cutting costs and such, buying a huge estate for Harry when many options are open, seems contrary to all that.

:previous: I was speaking of High grove itself, the estate, not the estate office or any other holdings that may be in some distance. Highgrove is only one tiny portion of the duchy. Making it out to be the heart and center, where all business needs to be done, is a stretch at the very best.

The duchy has seven offices. Charles' home are both close to the Scilly, Devon, Dorset and Cornwall offices. There is a fifth office in London.

Yes, my suggestion was a possible royal lease. The reality of owning and running a major estate and keeping it profitable is not easy. Anne is the only one who successfully has done so. It may very well be decided to lease him a home from the crown estate, or from Cornwall, instead of buying one. If he wants his house to be open to his kids, a 90 year lease like Royal lodge, is a very good possibility. Or if there is a home free on the grounds of one of the family estates, perhaps it will lay there. I believe there is a second home on Balmoral that was being said to be rebuilt for Charles. He has birkhall and will have Balmoral. Possibly a Scottish country home and a London base? Who knows.

But all this talk about slimming down the monarchy, cutting costs and such, buying a huge estate for Harry when many options are open, seems contrary to all that.

I would argue the opposite. Buying him a private estate would beholden him less to the public. They can't complain how much rent he's paying, they can't gripe about his renovations on his private property, they can't complain when his children inherit his private property, on the other hand Beatrice and Eugenie can expect a major media backlash when they inherit whatever is left of their father's 99-year lease. Two princesses, who aren't working for the firm, getting a lease, for cheap rent, for a major property owned by the Crown Estate. That's going to be ugly.

Last edited:
If I were to guess I'd say Harry either gets an apartment at KP, or Charles (who is very savvy with land investments) will purchase Harry his own estate, a la Gatcombe or Sunninghill, that Harry's children and grandchildren will be able to inherit, and if it's like Gatcombe it could also provide them a livelihood.

Even if Harry gets his own estate, which I think is very likely, won't he require a London base?
Something a bit larger than Nott Cott, once he has a family?

Princess Michael of Kent hinted once that the Gloucesters' apartment at KP might be ideal for him. Wren House (the KP home of the Duke and Duchess of Kent) might become vacant at some stage too.

Princess Michael of Kent hinted once that the Gloucesters' apartment at KP might be ideal for him. Wren House (the KP home of the Duke and Duchess of Kent) might become vacant at some stage too.

One wonders if that wasn't Princess Michael attempting to make sure no one was eyeing up Apartment 10. :whistling:

I think it was said that the Gloucester's had offered their apartment to the Cambridge's.

It may be practical to move one of the offices at KP. Or Harry and his future wife could move into St. James's Palace. I'm not sure Beatrice and Eugenie still live at York House. Bea is mostly in New York and Eugenie stay at Royal Lodge a lot.

York House is where Charles, William and Harry lived before moving into Clarence House upon the Queen Mother's passing.

Last edited:
Even if Harry gets his own estate, which I think is very likely, won't he require a London base?
Something a bit larger than Nott Cott, once he has a family?

If he had a home like Gatcombe, he wouldn't have a large London base, only a small apartment at BP/SJP or maybe keep Nott Cott. The place wouldn't be for his family. He, his wife, and his children would be living on their estate. The kids would be going to school close to their estate. The small apartment or Nott Cott would only be a stopover place when Harry and his wife are doing engagements in the city, usually late night engagements where they don't want to commute back to their estate afterward.

One wonders if that wasn't Princess Michael attempting to make sure no one was eyeing up Apartment 10. :whistling:

Oh, I agree. If they need an already occupied apartment to open up at KP, the Michaels would be the most likely choice since they don't work for the firm. Out of loyalty, no way would HM kick out The Duke and Duchess of Kent or The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester after they've worked for her for decades.

Princess Michael sensing vulnerability, is trying to publicly stake her claim to her apartment and throw others under the bus. She's not brazen enough to try that with The Duke of Kent, since he's her brother-in-law, so the Gloucesters are her targets of choice.

I think it's mighty kind if the Gloucester's moved to let Harry take their apartment. They were going to do it for the Cambridge's.

I think York House would be good for Harry, but he may want to be in residence of his office, Kensington Palace.

Some charity office or junior royals might have to move.

I think it's mighty kind if the Gloucester's moved to let Harry take their apartment. They were going to do it for the Cambridge's.

I think York House would be good for Harry, but he may want to be in residence of his office, Kensington Palace.

Some charity office or junior royals might have to move.

That was just tabloid gossip. The Gloucesters were never quoted as saying they'd happily move from the home they've been living in since 1972.

A different tabloid, said HM gave the Cambridges two options, Margaret's old apartment or Diana's old apartment, and they chose the former.

I didn’t believe the Gloucesters story back then and I wouldn’t believe it now. Why would they move after decades of service and where would they go?

Clearly somewhere will be found for Harry but even the Cambridges continued to live at Nott cottage after marriage.

The Cambridge's lived at Nott Cottage, until their KP apartment was ready. Nott Cottage is not a place to stay when raising a family. We know Harry is keen on starting a family in the near future.

I think York House is a good choice. There's not much room at KP, unless some junior royals move or a office is relocated. That's just the truth.

Unless there's another larger apartment at KP that's not occupied.

I didn’t believe the Gloucesters story back then and I wouldn’t believe it now. Why would they move after decades of service and where would they go?

Clearly somewhere will be found for Harry but even the Cambridges continued to live at Nott cottage after marriage.

Exactly. If the former Duchess of Gloucester couldn't afford to live at Barnwell and had to move in with her son at KP, then I don't see the current Gloucesters being able to afford a grand residence outside of KP, either. After decades of service, they won't be kicked out to fend for themselves. Especially as they are close in age to Charles and they could easily continue working for the firm for another 15-20 years before they fully retire.

I think York House is a good choice. There's not much room at KP, unless some junior royals move or a office is relocated. That's just the truth.

Unless there's another larger apartment at KP that's not occupied.

But the rooms at St. James are supposed to be small and rather gloomy.
Charles was glad to leave and move to Clarence House.

Harry will be separated from William's household when William becomes Duke of Cornwall. Its makes sense to have them together now since Charles is paying for it.

Harry will be like Anne, Andrew and Edward and Sophie will their staff at BP and paid by the monarch while William as Duke of Cornwall will handle the household costs for himself, his wife and his children. So Harry doesn't need to be close to his staff at KP because the staff at KP is going to be his brother's.

But the rooms at St. James are supposed to be small and rather gloomy.
Charles was glad to leave and move to Clarence House.

The place could be renovated and refurbished. Harry is a senior working royal. I'm sure everyone will understand the cost, just like they did for the Cambridge's KP apartment. Yes, there will be some noise, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Beatrice and Eugenie don't live in York house. Their apartment was described as a 4 room apartment in the attic. It certainly wasn't where Charles and the boys lived before they moved into Clarence House.

Eugenie may spend a lot of time at royal lodge, but she has a full time job in London. And Bea visits often enough. I don't see them giving up their London base. Besides I don't see Harry living in an attic apartment. The four room apartment is smaller then Nott Cottage. It was rumored though that Eugenie was moving into Ivy cottage.

Perhaps Ivy cottage is being redone but not for Eugenie? Some rumors have small hints of truth. Ivy is larger then Nots, more space if Harry and Meghan brought kids with them to London. It would be close to the offices at KP. Not a huge apartment but still the space needed for them.

Or they could like the distance from the offices, and York house could be renovated. Will's apartment was updated for him and Kate, I'd think the same would be done for Harry.

Last edited:
I just can't picture Harry in Highgrove, of all places. Or William, for that matter. Not while Charles is alive. He has poured his heart and soul into that house and those gardens and made them one of the primary representations to the world of who he is. His sons have been witness to a lot of the effort and thought that Charles has put into it over the years. I can't imagine either William or Harry would be comfortable with trying to make the place his own. Like another poster said, I think it's far more likely Charles will work out some kind of deal with the Duchy, be it a lease or some other arrangement, to keep Highgrove as a personal getaway. And after he dies, I could see Highgrove becoming a museum that makes money for the duchy and serves as a memorial to Charles rather than a home to future royals.

Which still leaves the question of Harry's house. I'm not sure we truly know enough about Harry's leanings to make a good guess as to whether he'd prefer the big country house/London bolthole arrangement or the main house in London/small place somewhere else scenario. And some of that may depend on the personality of the woman he marries, be it Megan or someone else entirely.

Harry can have a house on the same estate that William does if he wants a place away from London.

LaRae

He'll can have a house on the same estate that William does if he wants a place away from London.

LaRae

If he wants, and there are homes available for them to use.

Or he may choose he doesn't want to live at Sandringham as his country retreat. He may prefer Scotland, or some where else. We don't know if he wants to be right down the street from his brother. We know they are close but doesn't mean they will want to be neighbors in both London and country.

I think there are other apartments in KP that Harry could have without kicking out "family". The Prince of Wales and the Queen's Private Secretaries were both said to have had apartments in KP, sometimes described as "grand", both those Private Secretaries have not that long ago left their posts so maybe they are or can be freed up?

I think Harry will have some sort of country house, probably bigger than a cottage on an estate but not necessarily massive country houses.

I think there are other apartments in KP that Harry could have without kicking out "family". The Prince of Wales and the Queen's Private Secretaries were both said to have had apartments in KP, sometimes described as "grand", both those Private Secretaries have not that long ago left their posts so maybe they are or can be freed up?

Agree completely...It has been published recently that renovations have already begun on a large apt. at KP...makes sense.

Agree completely...It has been published recently that renovations have already begun on a large apt. at KP...makes sense.

Are you referring to the reports from a few months ago that the Gloucester apartment is getting a new roof and windows?

Speaking of residences of former private secretaries, the Telegraph has always believed Harry would get apartment 4B. I wonder about the status of that apartment currently. Did someone move in after Michael Peat left in 2011?

Are you referring to the reports from a few months ago that the Gloucester apartment is getting a new roof and windows?

Speaking of residences of former private secretaries, the Telegraph has always believed Harry would get apartment 4B. I wonder about the status of that apartment currently. Did someone move in after Michael Peat left in 2011?

I haven't heard anything about the apartment.

Don't forget that when The Queen gave Anmer Hall to William she did so knowing that in time he would own the estate as King.

Harry won't ever own that property so there is then the question of what he may be able to leave his kids.

Andrew paid an extended lease on Royal Lodge so the girls can still live there after he has gone - and it is certainly large enough.

I doubt Harry will get a country home as well as a large London base. He doesn't need both.

He will either buy an estate himself - given the millions left to him by his mother there is no need for the Queen or Charles to buy one for him (and if he was going to do that he could easily have already done so) and have a small apartment in London OR he will have a major apartment in London - which would suit him more I think as he is very much more at home in the city it seems to me with access to a suite of rooms at Windsor, Sandringham and Balmoral for weekend visits.

If he marries Meghan I can see them buying a house in America as a bolt hole rather than a UK residence anyway.

Then there are the basement offices being built under/behind the Orangery at Kensington Palace. Maybe this is to free up more apartments for living space rather than just more office space.

Then there are the basement offices being built under/behind the Orangery at Kensington Palace. Maybe this is to free up more apartments for living space rather than just more office space.

Absolutely...also expanding staff for W, C & H

No, Google Prince Harry New Apt & you will get several articles published within the last couple of months about his new apt at KP. He drops around often checking on progress...

Apparently not...

Last edited by a moderator:
4b would be a great choice if London is to be the main family home. It is 5/6 bedrooms and is said to be much larger then Diana's old apartment.

I still think there will be some country home. I don't see Harry buying one. If one is bought, it will be by his father IMO. Otherwise we will see a lease, either on the grounds of a royal residence, or a crown estate like Ed and Andrew. If he wants something his kids can continue with, a lease like Andrew has.

I’ve always wondered, what is the square footage/layout of Nottingham Cottage? It sounds tiny and like something in a fairy tale... perhaps, however, it’s a Cottage in relation to some of the nearby grandiose living space?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom