The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #361  
Old 06-29-2016, 10:11 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 2,802
What aristocratic manor houses are for sale near London that Prince Henry might purchase?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #362  
Old 06-29-2016, 10:24 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 4,904
And does he really have the income to upkeep an aristocratic manor house?


LaRae
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #363  
Old 06-29-2016, 10:42 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 8,910
I think he will follow suit with the rest of the family and use homes that become available for him when he needs it. Nott Cott is perfect for him as a single man for now.

Its entirely possible that when he does marry, a home will be bought for him by the monarch as was done with Anne and Andrew upon their marriages as Harry doesn't stand to inherit property as William does.

If Harry, himself, set out to purchase property for himself at any given time, I'd bet my last frozen banana dipped in chocolate that he'd be looking in Africa.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.”
~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #364  
Old 06-29-2016, 10:44 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 5,893
I would assume the same income/way his brother upkeeps his homes. Surely not on his income as a part time pilot.

But no need for a manor. Honestly if nothing more than security, makes no sense for him not to live in one of the palaces when he is in London. If he insisted on private and his family covered added security, a flat or even townhouse in a nicer part of the city would be plenty. Unless he plans on living majority of the time else where, he really has no reason for another home. He can stay at Sandringham, Windsor, Balmoral or one of his father's estates when he is outside of London. When he has kids this may change, but like Will, it would make sense for him to have a home on one of the royal properties for security sake.

But just for hypothetical, they wanted him to have a private manor near London here are some stately homes for sale

London, England, United Kingdom Luxury Real Estate and Homes for Sales
Reply With Quote
  #365  
Old 06-29-2016, 10:47 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,455
Well, I think he has more money than Anne had when Gatcombe was purchased, and more than Edward when he and Sophie moved into their leased home, thanks to the money in Diana's will. Charles has no doubt put aside a very large sum for Harry over the years into a trust fund. The Queen may leave some money to her grandchildren, as perhaps the Queen Mother did with her great-grandchildren.

Nevertheless, it's always a question as to whether royals actually want to break into their capital to purchase such a place as an old manor house. That sort of thing was all very well in the 1930's when both the Kents and Gloucesters bought small estates with country houses attached, but nowadays labour costs of all sorts send maintenance sky-high.

It's often said that Harry will eventually take over Clarence House and/or Highgrove. I do think the maintenance costs on both of these really demands a Duchy income.

I just feel he'll probably get a nice flat or house at KP, with renovations paid for by Charles, and a house on the estate at Sandringham, when he eventually settles down. If he's going to put his hand in his own pocket to buy anywhere, my guess is it will be a fairly modest house and grounds in an African locale, for holidays. The security concerns will have to be taken into consideration though if he does.
Reply With Quote
  #366  
Old 06-30-2016, 10:20 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 2,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I would assume the same income/way his brother upkeeps his homes. Surely not on his income as a part time pilot.

But no need for a manor. Honestly if nothing more than security, makes no sense for him not to live in one of the palaces when he is in London. If he insisted on private and his family covered added security, a flat or even townhouse in a nicer part of the city would be plenty. Unless he plans on living majority of the time else where, he really has no reason for another home. He can stay at Sandringham, Windsor, Balmoral or one of his father's estates when he is outside of London. When he has kids this may change, but like Will, it would make sense for him to have a home on one of the royal properties for security sake.

But just for hypothetical, they wanted him to have a private manor near London here are some stately homes for sale

London, England, United Kingdom Luxury Real Estate and Homes for Sales
Countessmeout, The London Real Estate Homes are exactly what I had in mind for possible purchases for Prince Henry. I think The Old Clock House with 4 bedrooms would work nicely for Harry. The guest rooms would be splendid for relatives.
Reply With Quote
  #367  
Old 07-01-2016, 12:00 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,455
Apparently at one stage Princess Michael had her eye on the Clock House as its rooms were more spacious than those in her own apartment, but it was said she was refused as the Queen wanted it reserved as a town house for either Andrew or Edward. That didn't happen, of course, so who knows now....?
Reply With Quote
  #368  
Old 07-01-2016, 12:58 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 5,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Countessmeout, The London Real Estate Homes are exactly what I had in mind for possible purchases for Prince Henry. I think The Old Clock House with 4 bedrooms would work nicely for Harry. The guest rooms would be splendid for relatives.
Considering his relatives at this point have their own London bases or access, I don't see him needing 4 bedrooms. Nor 2 reception rooms, a conservatory, library and music room.
Reply With Quote
  #369  
Old 07-01-2016, 01:11 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 8,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Considering his relatives at this point have their own London bases or access, I don't see him needing 4 bedrooms. Nor 2 reception rooms, a conservatory, library and music room.
You never know. Harry just might have a family of 3 or 4 kids and need all that room. I don't see him seriously thinking about a home though until that time comes. For a single guy, where he is suits him well.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.”
~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #370  
Old 07-01-2016, 02:29 AM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Well, I think he has more money than Anne had when Gatcombe was purchased, and more than Edward when he and Sophie moved into their leased home, thanks to the money in Diana's will. Charles has no doubt put aside a very large sum for Harry over the years into a trust fund. The Queen may leave some money to her grandchildren, as perhaps the Queen Mother did with her great-grandchildren.

Nevertheless, it's always a question as to whether royals actually want to break into their capital to purchase such a place as an old manor house. That sort of thing was all very well in the 1930's when both the Kents and Gloucesters bought small estates with country houses attached, but nowadays labour costs of all sorts send maintenance sky-high.

It's often said that Harry will eventually take over Clarence House and/or Highgrove. I do think the maintenance costs on both of these really demands a Duchy income.

I just feel he'll probably get a nice flat or house at KP, with renovations paid for by Charles, and a house on the estate at Sandringham, when he eventually settles down. If he's going to put his hand in his own pocket to buy anywhere, my guess is it will be a fairly modest house and grounds in an African locale, for holidays. The security concerns will have to be taken into consideration though if he does.

I think if Harry wanted Highgrove- which makes sense to me actually as Charles will want it to go to one of his sons and William will have no need for it- his brother would help him maintain.




Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #371  
Old 07-01-2016, 02:35 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 5,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
You never know. Harry just might have a family of 3 or 4 kids and need all that room. I don't see him seriously thinking about a home though until that time comes. For a single guy, where he is suits him well.
Cyril wasn't talking future spouse and kids. He said guest rooms for relatives. I highly doubt a bachelor is going to consider a 16 room house, in case relatives need to crash, especially when your relatives are royals with castles and other London properties to stay. Harry is a senior royal, he more than likely will be like William, and given family size apartments in one of the palaces when needed. And perhaps inherit one of his father's homes, or be given a property on one of the queen's estates.
Reply With Quote
  #372  
Old 07-01-2016, 03:25 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 8,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I think if Harry wanted Highgrove- which makes sense to me actually as Charles will want it to go to one of his sons and William will have no need for it- his brother would help him maintain.




Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Actually William most likely will inherit the use of Highgrove along with other Duchy of Cornwall properties but I don't think he'd have a problem with Harry using it and maintaining it. From what I've read, Harry is more the gentleman farmer type than William.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.”
~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #373  
Old 07-01-2016, 04:02 AM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,020
Future Home for Prince Harry

William controls the Duchy of Cornwall properties including Highgrove the minute he becomes Duke of Cornwall.

In the long term, William can't pay for Harry's extra manor house. William like his father is now doing with have to pay for George, Charlotte and other kids that come along. Charles isn't paying anything towards Anne, Edward and Andrew now.

In reality, only the heir has multiple homes. Edward, Anne, Andrew all have a country home and smaller London rooms. Margaret had a larger apt at KP and no country house.(her mystique house was a gift from Lord Glenconner)

If BP is in super bad shape, Charles and Camilla will probably remain at Clarence House post accession to allow for BP to be repaired sort like when Truman moved out of the White House when it was gutted and renovated for several years in the 1950s.

The Duke of Kent has Wren House at KP. Given the current Duke's age, that could be someplace for Harry to take over in the future when he needs more room.

Re:William and Highgrove- he definitely would have a use for it as a base closer to Wales and the Duchy of Cornwall lands. He isn't a green thumb guy but Kate is. She can oversee that area of the house. Then George take it over as Duke when his father is King.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #374  
Old 07-01-2016, 11:08 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 4,904
The heir for the Duke of Kent won't inherit the use of Wren?


LaRae
Reply With Quote
  #375  
Old 07-01-2016, 11:45 AM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,020
Wren House is a grace and favor from the Queen for Duke doing royal duties. He doesn't own it. The next Duke isn't a Royal so it's like Apt 1a Margaret's kids didn't take it over. The same thing for the Gloucesters apartment. The next Duke doesn't get it either.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #376  
Old 07-01-2016, 12:55 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 5,893
Of the Kents, Michaels of Kent, Gloucesters and Oglivies, only Alexandra and Edward still have private houses. The Kents sold their estate of Coppins in the 1970's. They lived in Amner for 18 years before owning a manor called Crocker end but they sold it. Alexandra owns Thatched house. Well she owns the leasehold on it, which they own for 150 years from the crown estates. It is private though, and during those years, it can be sold as such. Though they don't use it, the Gloucesters own Barnwell. Barnwell was purchased by the previous duke. Barnwell had ben granted in 1540 by Henry VIII to the Montagu family. With its sale, it remained in the family, as the Duke's wife Alice was a Montagu on her father's side.
Reply With Quote
  #377  
Old 07-01-2016, 01:26 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 4,904
Ah ok didn't realize it was a 'grace and favor' situation.


LaRae
Reply With Quote
  #378  
Old 07-01-2016, 01:52 PM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,020
Everything at KP is grace and favor. Some don't pay anything, others like Prince and Princess Michael of Kent pay rent.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #379  
Old 07-01-2016, 10:03 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 2,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Cyril wasn't talking future spouse and kids. He said guest rooms for relatives. I highly doubt a bachelor is going to consider a 16 room house, in case relatives need to crash, especially when your relatives are royals with castles and other London properties to stay. Harry is a senior royal, he more than likely will be like William, and given family size apartments in one of the palaces when needed. And perhaps inherit one of his father's homes, or be given a property on one of the queen's estates.
Cyril is now talking Future Spouse and children of Prince Harry. The Old Clock House would be ideal. The royal children could be given music lessons in the Music Room.
Reply With Quote
  #380  
Old 07-01-2016, 10:39 PM
Tarlita's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: small town near Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 1,047
With Financial markets in turmoil at the moment over the Brexit result, now is the ideal time to Negotiate a good deal in London. Anyone with a few spare million to Invest??
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
highgrove, prince harry, prince william, residences

« Buckingham Palace | - »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 6 (1 members and 5 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
albania assassination beatrice (1986- ) beatrice borromeo best outfit biography birthday catherine christening crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess victoria crown princess victoria hats cymry denmark duke of cambridge e-mail europe fascism fashion poll fashion poll october 2016 fashio poll king carl gustaf and queen silvia monarchy norway november 2016 october 2016 parliament picture of the week pierre casiraghi prince charles prince felix prince philip princess beatrice princess charlene princess marie hats princess mary princess mary fashion princess sofia prince william queen anne-marie queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen mathilde daytime fashion queen mathilde fashion queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania fashion rohan rohans romanov royalties sally bedell smith state visit succession sweden swedish royal family the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:55 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises