The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-22-2015, 02:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, we shall have to wait and see. This is an opinion based thread and my guess certainly isn't a cottage somewhere, (that's undoubtedly a strange joke), but a flat in KP and a house on the Sandringham estate.

Nor do I think a married Harry will be offered a one bedroomed apartment after marriage, though he's content with it now.

Monarchs allow their relatives what they can afford. George VI was hamstrung by Edward VIII's demands which left him cash poor. He certainly didn't leave his widow and daughters penniless but there weren't countless millions either. The queen allowed Margaret, an urban creature, a London apartment. There's no indication that either she or Lord Snowdon wanted a country home of their own. Margaret stayed at the Queen Mother's homes sometimes.

The Queen, who didn't get the benefit of Duchy of Cornwall money during her minority, helped house four children, not one, as Charles will do, now William has Anmer and an apartment at KP.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
The queen allowed Margaret, an urban creature, a London apartment. There's no indication that either she or Lord Snowdon wanted a country home of their own. Margaret stayed at the Queen Mother's homes sometimes.
Snowden did have his own, privately owned, home in the country. Margaret was not fond of it, and did not visit it often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
In 1992 when Princess Anne married Tim they did not live in government subsidized housing. For several years Princess Anne a full time working royal with 2 children and a husband lived within her and her husband's income without subsidized housing.

IIRC, Princess Anne lived in a few rooms in BP while performing royal engagements. Her children and Mark Phillips lived at Gatcombe. It wasn't until she married Tim that she moved out of BP and on her own. She and Tim lived in their own flat or townhome and after several years of marriage move into an apartment in St. James' Palace.
Anne has always had a London home, either at BP or SJP. There was a period for which she rented a flat at Dolphin Square, but that was an interim measure. Whilst at BP, she had her own flat / suite of rooms.

I do not know from where you have derived reference to subsidised housing. Do you consider an apartment at a royal palace as subsidised housing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Clarence House, although smaller than Apt 1A in KP, is too much for a minor royal.

Harry as a part time minor royal is only deserving a 1 bedroom flat.

Harry can live on his own. He can purchase a townhome or a flat in London or he can become a full time royal and receive a flat that is subsidized by the people. It is misleading to refer to William's and Kate's 20000 square feet section of Kensington Palace as an apartment. It is best described as a very large townhome. Apt 1A encompasses an entire section of Kensington Palace. It is four stories. The apartments in St. James' Palace are actually apartments/flats. The apartments in BP are either 3 room bedroom suites or actual apartments.

Harry as 5th in line should expect a few rooms in KP, BP or St. James' Palace.
Harry is part time at the moment, but in time, will end up with a full time royal role. I think this will happen quite quickly once the Queen passes away. There is no question, IMO, that Harry is seen as a senior royal, and very central to the future of the monarchy, albeit in a supporting role to the monarch of the day.

His housing needs will change, as his personal and family circumstances evolve, rather than his role. For now, I am sure Nott Cott is good enough. Once he has a wife and children, he will need a proper family home. I suspect he will end up with one principal residence, and a smaller alternative base. If he chooses to have a big London flat (possibly KP, or even at BP), he will probably end up with a smaller, less grand property at one of the royal estates (Windsor or Sandringham). Alternatively, he may choose to have his principal home at say, Windsor, and he will then end up with a smaller home in town.

I would be surprised if Harry ended up at Clarence House. I do think the Cambridges will end up moving there when they are the Prince and Princess of Wales.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:06 AM
Majesty

I agree, although apartment 1A is bigger, it does not have the necessary cachet for the Heir to the Throne, Clarence House does.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:06 AM
Courtier

Harry is of some significance as long as he is Grandson / Son of the Monarch. When William will be King and his Children are grown he will pale into the background like the Kent or Glousters
Old 03-22-2015, 09:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Everyone seems to think that Harry will one day marry... What if he stays single? Will he be leaving in the same apartment as he has lived so far?
Old 03-22-2015, 09:19 AM
Heir Apparent

I hope that Price Henry will be created Duke of Clarence and will reside in... Clarence House.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
Harry is of some significance as long as he is Grandson / Son of the Monarch. When William will be King and his Children are grown he will pale into the background like the Kent or Glousters
Nonsense, with all respect. When Prince Charles is King, the Dukes of Kent and of Gloucester are grandsons of the junior sons of Prince Charles' great-grandfather King George V.

Prince Harry however will be King Charles' very own son. And when his elder brother is King, the same Prince Harry will be King William's very own brother. Uncomparable with the Kents and the Gloucesters.

Relationship from Prince Harry to his Kent relatives

Prince Harry
|
Prince Charles x Lady Diana Spencer
|
Queen Elizabeth x Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark
|
King George VI x Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon
|
King George V x Princess Mary of Teck
-------------------------------------------------
|
Prince George, 1st Duke of Kent x Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark
|
Prince Edward, 3rd Duke of Kent x the Hon. Katharine Worsley
|
Lord George Windsor, Earl of St Andrews (future 4th Duke of Kent) x Sylvana Tomaselli
|
Lord Edward Windsor, Lord Downpatrick (future 5th Duke of Kent)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Relationship from Prince Harry to his Gloucester relatives

Prince Harry
|
Prince Charles x Lady Diana Spencer
|
Queen Elizabeth x Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark
|
King George VI x Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon
|
-------------------------------------------------
|
Prince Henry, 1st Duke of Gloucester x Lady Alice Montagu-Douglas-Scott
|
Prince Richard, 2nd Duke of Gloucester x Brigitte van Deurs
|
Lord Alexander Windsor, Earl of Ulster (future 3rd Duke of Gloucester) x Claire Booth
|
Lord Xan Windsor, Baron Culloden (future 4th Duke of Gloucester)
Old 03-22-2015, 09:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Future Home for Prince Harry

Harry's counterpart is not the Kents & Gloucester but Prince Andrew. At least Harry has a closer relationship with his brother than Andrew has with Charles. He is still going to be pushed out of the spotlight as George and his siblings become adults just like Andrew and Margaret were.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 03-22-2015, 10:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Andrew won't be the sovereign's only sibling however, and Harry will be. Margaret was the Queen's only sibling but the Queen had four children, pushing her out of the limelight. William and Kate are hardly likely to have four, imo.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:29 PM
Heir Apparent

It will last at least two decades, most likely more (military service, university) before the children of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will start doing royal engagements. That means that Prince Harry is and remains the most important royal for "The Firm" after his brother, the (future) King, and that for beyond his fifties.

Any comparison with the Duke of Gloucester and the Duke of Kent is indeed not possible.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Harry will remain important from a tabloid perspective but now that the dynasty has been secured his importance to the Firm has diminished.

Of course Harry will be the king's son and receive the appropriate perks and carry out royal engagements but like every other second son or daughter, he will fade into the background eventually.

Its just the way it is.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:29 PM
Nobility

It has already been stated that the Cambridges will be staying put long term. Clarence House seems too big for a widowed Prince Phillip (or Camilla) so it would be better for Harry to keep the building in use than just leave it without a royal in residence for a generation.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
It has already been stated that the Cambridges will be staying put long term. Clarence House seems too big for a widowed Prince Phillip (or Camilla) so it would be better for Harry to keep the building in use than just leave it without a royal in residence for a generation.
Why? The Queen Mother lived alone in it for years. So I can easily imagine Camilla doing so, especially since she and Charles made it their home by renovating it.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
Why? The Queen Mother lived alone in it for years. So I can easily imagine Camilla doing so, especially since she and Charles made it their home by renovating it.
You bring up an interesting point though one doesn't want to mull over such morbid eventualities for too long: were Charles to pre-decease Camilla, where would Camilla live? I suspect, she'd retire to Raymill, and only be seen at the major royal events in June of every year (if those). What a sad eventuality that will be.

Somehow the deaths of the Queen and Philip will seem simply a passing after a full, rich life. The idea of Charles or Camilla dying (which they must, after all) seems very sad at this point. I am struck by that.

I can't see Camilla comfortably living at Clarence House without Charles there.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post

That could all just depend on where Camilla is living if/when she's widowed and what her role will be when Charles is gone.

The Queen Mother was widowed for a very long time, made Clarence House her primary home, and was very active in the reign of her daughter, who had moved into Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle.

I think if the DoE survives is wife then we'll see him be established permanently at Windsor, while Charles and Camilla move into BP part time - retaining their residence at Clarence House as well. When Charles passes, if Camilla survives him I could see her returning permanently to Clarence House while William and Kate move into BP, but I could also see her retiring to her own property (Raymill) and taking a less active Royal role.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Clarence House is such an elegant house and I hope it will remain in use as official residence to The Duke and Duchess of Clarence. The stately house would then return to its original purpose: to act as a home for the Duke of Clarence.

The King, first Prince Harry's father and then his brother, of course always will use Windsor Castle, Buckingham Palace, the palace of Holyroodhouse, Sandringham House and Balmoral Castle as his main residences through the year. No question about that.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I think if the DoE survives is wife then we'll see him be established permanently at Windsor, while Charles and Camilla move into BP part time - retaining their residence at Clarence House as well. When Charles passes, if Camilla survives him I could see her returning permanently to Clarence House while William and Kate move into BP, but I could also see her retiring to her own property (Raymill) and taking a less active Royal role.
Isn't BP in sore need of an up-date? I think I read someone here say, once when the discussion was on this topic, that BP may not be ready for even Charles to move into, that Charles may live at Clarence House while BP goes through a long over-due refurbishment.

It seems to me, from all I have read, that it is unlikely that Harry will ever live in Clarence House. Just a hunch.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:04 PM
Aristocracy

I highly doubt Charles will put his son, second-born or not, in a cottage he had built for staff at Highgrove. I can just see it now. "Harry, you can have Paul and Maria Burrell's old cottage or would you prefer Michael Fawcett's?" - I don't think so. Many, IMHO, are ignoring the message Charles sent at the Queen's Diamond Jubilee balcony appearance; Harry will be an integral part of the Monarchy - at the very least - under both his father and brother. Should he outlive his brother, I am sure he would also remain a valued counsel to a future King George as well.
The three - Charles, William, and Harry - will be the heart of the Royal Family in Charles' and William's reigns similar to how QEQM and Princess Margaret were the other two thirds of the impenetrable troika at the heart of the BRF during the most important years of the current Queen's reign.
People often made the mistake of thinking Margaret was a minor Royal, once the Queen's children were born and having their own children. It may have looked that way in public, but HM never went a day without speaking to both sister and mother, and every serious biographer of all three ladies has noted the importance of these relationships and how they impacted noticeably the Queen's reactions on subjects such as paying income tax and of course, private family issues. It is interesting to see how much the Queen has changed since their respective passings.

Back OT: So I still think it will be Highgrove leased from the Duchy for Harry's country home and an "important" flat, if not actually Wren House, in the KP compound for his London base.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:27 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree. HRH The Prince Henry, Duke of Clarence (hopefully that will be his title, I like the name) will be a very senior royal. Like HRH The Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon always enjoyed a prominent place closely behind her sister, The Queen.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
You bring up an interesting point though one doesn't want to mull over such morbid eventualities for too long: were Charles to pre-decease Camilla, where would Camilla live? I suspect, she'd retire to Raymill, and only be seen at the major royal events in June of every year (if those). What a sad eventuality that will be.

Somehow the deaths of the Queen and Philip will seem simply a passing after a full, rich life. The idea of Charles or Camilla dying (which they must, after all) seems very sad at this point. I am struck by that.

I can't see Camilla comfortably living at Clarence House without Charles there.
I agree, Camilla will retire to Raymill and I don't see her taking on too many engagements if Charles were to pass away first. I see her keeping a few patronages that are close to her heart and that's it. I don't think that she will have any problems turning the "reigns" over to William and Catherine (and probably Harry).
Old 03-25-2015, 06:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess gertrude View Post
I agree, Camilla will retire to Raymill and I don't see her taking on too many engagements if Charles were to pass away first. I see her keeping a few patronages that are close to her heart and that's it. I don't think that she will have any problems turning the "reigns" over to William and Catherine (and probably Harry).
I think we will continue to see Camilla on major events like State Visits, the Trooping the Colour, the National Remembrance, etc. In the theoretical event of King Charles' death, Camilla will be and remain a dowager to a King, stepmother to a King and I am sure the new King William will enforce that the Lady Dowager (Camilla) will, at all time, enjoy a style, (titular) dignity, rank, presence and pre-eminence according her high station, that she will be treated with all égards and receive the honours befitting a Dowager Queen.

Tags
highgrove, prince harry, prince william, residences