The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-09-2014, 08:48 PM
Serene Highness

Margaret's main residence was Apt 1a. Her family could stay with the Queen when visiting Balmoral and Norfolk. Harry and his family could stay at his father's residences especially if the Cambridges stay in Birkhall and Amner. Plus I wonder how much interaction Charles will have with all of his siblings after he is King. Is Andrew and girls are going to pop over for a extended Scottish stay each fall?

Old 05-09-2014, 08:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

There will be quite a few more residences available in the next generation, since Charles had two kids instead of four. I think there will be no need to share

Old 05-09-2014, 09:05 PM
Majesty

There aren't actually that many more residences as Anne owns Gatcombe outright so it will go to Peter and/or Zara. Edward has a 50 year lease on Bagshot with about 40 years still to run so not available for Harry until Harry is nearly 70 and The Royal Lodge has only used about 10 years of the 99 year lease Andrew had on that as the intention is the either Beatrice and/or Eugenie will continue to live there.

There are smaller residences at Sandringham - some are now offices etc but the royals have taken back residences from charities and other people in the past e.g. Apartment 1A - so no reason why some other organisation or staff couldn't be removed from other residences for Harry if he insists on a country residence.

We are assuming that he won't have a family residence in London in use when Charles becomes King and that he would then want to actually move from that residence or that William and Kate actually want to move into CH - and if Camilla outlives Charles where will she live? She will also need an appropriate home as the surviving consort of the monarch.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:20 PM
Heir Apparent

The discussion isnt about a London base (rooms in BP, KP or SJP could be made available). It is a country residence. I think Highgrove could be made abauilable; I think in the past you have said this is not possible cos it belongs to Duchy of Cornwall.

I think if Charles or William want Harry to have use of it, then he will - even under a pepper-corn lease.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-09-2014, 09:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

I would think William would get Highgrove as he'll be Duke of Cornwall- which leaves Anmer for Harry.

And William will also get Birkhall when Charles gets Balmoral so William's cottage on the Balmoral estate will open up.

Clarence House could go to William while Harry takes Apartment 1A which will already be refurbished and
modernized.

There won't be any shortage of available space.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:43 PM
Majesty

Everyone seems to be assuming that William move when he becomes Duke of Cornwall and he may very well not wish to do so so he will keep Anmer and either continue to lease Highgrove to Charles (Charles is currently paying a commercial lease for Highgrove) which I can see continuing. I can also see Charles staying at Birkhall and allowing William to have Balmoral.

The cottage that William was given on the Balmoral estate is very small - I have even heard that he doesn't stay there with Kate because it is now too small for them but...

We are also assuming that The Queen doesn't decide to leave either Balmoral or Sandringham to one of her other children which she can do as they are private properties and not state owned - yes there would be death duties but she could easily have set up a means for them to do that if she wants her younger sons to have a private country estate like her daughter has.

Besides Camilla - where would Philip go if he outlives The Queen?

Frankly I don't see William moving at all until he is King so he stays at 1A and Anmer Hall while Charles takes over the main house at Sandringham and Harry has an apartment there for use at Christmas - as happens now. As for Balmoral I see William moving into the main castle - as he doesn't go there that often unlike Charles who spends weeks at a time there and Balmoral isn't available to the monarch for most of the year - even The Queen stays elsewhere on the estate for the first week or so that she is there as part of the castle open to the public - bringing in money to help run the estate.

I don't see any reason to think that Charles will leave Highgrove either as he has built it himself and I really don't see either of the princes wanting to live there.

I can see Philip moving back to CH if he outlives The Queen and remain in his own apartments at Windsor.

The other thing is Harry won't need anything larger than he has now until he marries and there is no guarantee that will ever happen.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
The discussion isnt about a London base (rooms in BP, KP or SJP could be made available). It is a country residence. I think Highgrove could be made abauilable; I think in the past you have said this is not possible cos it belongs to Duchy of Cornwall.

I think if Charles or William want Harry to have use of it, then he will - even under a pepper-corn lease.

I am sorry but I thought the topic was 'Future Home for Prince Harry' not Future 'country' home for Prince Harry.

As the discussion is a 'future home' the possibilities of a London residence has be to part of the discussion.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I am sorry but I thought the topic was 'Future Home for Prince Harry' not Future 'country' home for Prince Harry.

As the discussion is a 'future home' the possibilities of a London residence has be to part of the discussion.
An opinion is just that. It doesn't require acres of historical evidence or years of teaching practice. It is an opinion. Just allow people to have their own view, please.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-09-2014, 10:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Everyone seems to be assuming that William move when he becomes Duke of Cornwall and he may very well not wish to do so so he will keep Anmer and either continue to lease Highgrove to Charles (Charles is currently paying a commercial lease for Highgrove) which I can see continuing. I can also see Charles staying at Birkhall and allowing William to have Balmoral.

The cottage that William was given on the Balmoral estate is very small - I have even heard that he doesn't stay there with Kate because it is now too small for them but...

We are also assuming that The Queen doesn't decide to leave either Balmoral or Sandringham to one of her other children which she can do as they are private properties and not state owned - yes there would be death duties but she could easily have set up a means for them to do that if she wants her younger sons to have a private country estate like her daughter has.

Besides Camilla - where would Philip go if he outlives The Queen?

Frankly I don't see William moving at all until he is King so he stays at 1A and Anmer Hall while Charles takes over the main house at Sandringham and Harry has an apartment there for use at Christmas - as happens now. As for Balmoral I see William moving into the main castle - as he doesn't go there that often unlike Charles who spends weeks at a time there and Balmoral isn't available to the monarch for most of the year - even The Queen stays elsewhere on the estate for the first week or so that she is there as part of the castle open to the public - bringing in money to help run the estate.

I don't see any reason to think that Charles will leave Highgrove either as he has built it himself and I really don't see either of the princes wanting to live there.

I can see Philip moving back to CH if he outlives The Queen and remain in his own apartments at Windsor.

The other thing is Harry won't need anything larger than he has now until he marries and there is no guarantee that will ever happen.
Camilla has Raymill House that is hers. The Queen doesn't have to leave Balmoral and Sandringham to Charles but going back to Edward VII the private estates have been left to the next monarch (not counting George VI who had to buy them from his brother) so it is highly likely that Charles and then William will inherit Balmoral & Sandringham. Charles doesn't own Highgrove himself. It part of the Duchy of Cornwall so he can't leave it anyone.

If the Cambridges want to stay at KP after Charles is King, Harry could go to Clarence House. However, the Cambridge might need the larger house for the reception areas and to house a bigger staff than what they have now. Plus it frees up CH for George after William becomes King.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
An opinion is just that. It doesn't require acres of historical evidence or years of teaching practice. It is an opinion. Just allow people to have their own view, please.
I am sorry Cepe but I don't understand what you are saying.

I have been giving my opinion on future homes for Harry and then you tell me that the discussion is only about future country homes - and when I query that comment you come back with this comment that I simply don't understand.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Camilla has Raymill House that is hers.
True but as the consort of the monarch a London base would also be expected - The Queen Mother had CH and Queen Mary had Marlborough House etc

Quote:
The Queen doesn't have to leave Balmoral and Sandringham to Charles but going back to Edward VII the private estates have been left to the next monarch (not counting George VI who had to buy them from his brother) so it is highly likely that Charles and then William will inherit Balmoral & Sandringham.
Highly likely - to avoid death duties being the major reason - but not absolutely essential.

Just because it has always happened that way doesn't mean it will continue to be done that way.

Quote:
Charles doesn't own Highgrove himself. It part of the Duchy of Cornwall so he can't leave it anyone.
I think you will find, if you go back through this thread, that I have said that on numerous occasions so I am fully aware of this.

Quote:
If the Cambridges want to stay at KP after Charles is King, Harry could go to Clarence House.
Why does Harry have to go anywhere - CH is way to big for a minor royal like Harry anyway. As there are suggestions that William and Kate will soon be trying to have a second child and even later a third it won't be tool long until Harry is really irrelevant to the royal family - just as Andrew is now.

Quote:
However, the Cambridge might need the larger house for the reception areas and to house a bigger staff than what they have now.
They have an entire palace receptions rooms at their disposal at KP now so they don't need larger ones at CH. They don't have to have them in their apartment.

Quote:
Plus it frees up CH for George after William becomes King.
Depends on how old George is when William becomes King - he could be still a child or already married and settled in his own apartment somewhere else.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:45 PM
Serene Highness

All this is theoretical. Harry is in Nott Cottage which is fine for a single guy but not for a family so he will have to move sometime. Since we don't know what will happen first, the Queen dying or Harry having a family. We can just speculate.

As for Camilla, she didn't spend her entire adult life as a royal like Alexandria, Mary and Elizabeth. She is not the mother of the King if she outlives Charles. I would think if this happens she would retreat back to her private life with her kids and grand kids and not fulfill the traditional Dowager Queen role because unlike previous Dowager Queens, she isn't the mother of the new monarch.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:33 AM
Courtier

Royal Lodge or the Royal Lodge

I thought that Andrew's home was Royal Lodge, not the Royal Lodge. (To me, of course, it makes no difference, but I seem to recall that Queen Mary (perhaps) was always very persnickety about what it was called.)

Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-10-2014, 12:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
All this is theoretical. Harry is in Nott Cottage which is fine for a single guy but not for a family so he will have to move sometime. Since we don't know what will happen first, the Queen dying or Harry having a family. We can just speculate.

As for Camilla, she didn't spend her entire adult life as a royal like Alexandria, Mary and Elizabeth. She is not the mother of the King if she outlives Charles. I would think if this happens she would retreat back to her private life with her kids and grand kids and not fulfill the traditional Dowager Queen role because unlike previous Dowager Queens, she isn't the mother of the new monarch.

I don't know that there is necessarily a specific role beyond the traditional royal role for a dowager. That said, Queen Adelaide wasn't the mother of the next monarch, yet she still fulfilled a role as Dowager Queen.

While I doubt Camilla will be pulling a hugely active role if she survives Charles, I also can't see her just disappearing. She seems to take her role fairly seriously.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:08 AM
Serene Highness

I can see her coming to family events but is she really going to want William to put her up in Clarence House like the Queen Mother was after George VI or Queen Mary in Marlborough House. Then people would complain about the taxpayer's money and such.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:53 AM
Courtier

If Charles becomes king then Camilla would have left CH and moved into BP.

If Camilla is already living in BP when Charles dies, then Camilla will probably continue to have an apartment in BP.

We have to take into consideration the ages of the people.

The Queen Mum was only 51 when her husband died. Camilla is already 66.

If the Queen lives to 100 and Charles lives to 95, then George will 12-13 when his great-grandmother dies and 30-31 when his grandfather dies.

I don't see Camilla moving back to Clarence House unless Charles dies within a few years of being king.

I see CH being opened year round until George is married with kids.

Harry will not receive CH.

If Harry is more a city person then his main residence would be in KP. If he is more of a country person his main residence would be in the country.

I can see Balmoral & Sandringham Estate broken up with cottages/property given to each grandchild/greatgrandchild, while keeping most of the main property intact.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Just offhand, I think should Camilla become the Dowager Queen, she most likely will have a London base such as an apartment in BP or even something small and private such as Nottingham Cottage at KP. I do think she'll keep her bolt hole Ray Mill as her country residence where her children and grandchildren feel comfortable coming to.

Although she'll remain visible as part of the BRF, I don't see her wanting to push herself into any major roles and will prefer to stay in the background for the most part.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:27 AM
Courtier

Personally I think Harry will have a larger apartment at Kensington Palace (possibly maybe Wren House if/when the Kents leave it) and a country house somewhere, I'm sure Charles or the Queen could afford a new country house if they wanted to or find one either in Windsor or at Sandringham.
Bearing in mind Charles will most likely have Balmoral and Sandringham as well as use of Windsor I can see him giving up Highgrove and maybe suggesting it be rented to Harry.
William would have Anmer and maybe Birkhall and the likely inherit Sandringham and Balmoral within a decade or two so to me it would make it unlikely he would take over Highgrove for what would be a (relatively speaing) short time.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:43 AM
Serene Highness

William is going to take control of Highgrove whether he lives there or not as Duke of Cornwall and then George will take control as the next Duke so it wouldn't be a long term country home option for Harry.

The simplest scenario is to follow what was done before. After Charles becomes King, he moves like his parents did from CH to BP, WKG +future kids move from KP to CH. Harry +future family move in Apt 1A like Princess Margaret and stays there.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:57 AM
Courtier

I agree about KP so the rest is all dependent on whether or not Harry ends up with a country home.
IMO Harry seems a bit more connected to the countryside than Margaret did so I feel he may end up with a house somewhere in the country whether its a big mansion and estate or just a smaller weekend retreat.
There is nothing to say that William has to live in Highgrove just because he becomes Duke of Cornwall, Highgrove was only brought by the estate for Charles so I'm sure William could and would let Harry have use of it. Likewise when George becomes Duke I can't imagine him kicking his uncle out. Its all hypothetical , we just have to wait and see, maybe they'll surprise us all and Harry will live in a 2 bedroom council house ;-)

Tags
highgrove, prince harry, prince william, residences