Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What aristocratic manor houses are for sale near London that Prince Henry might purchase?

And does he really have the income to upkeep an aristocratic manor house?

LaRae

I think he will follow suit with the rest of the family and use homes that become available for him when he needs it. Nott Cott is perfect for him as a single man for now.

Its entirely possible that when he does marry, a home will be bought for him by the monarch as was done with Anne and Andrew upon their marriages as Harry doesn't stand to inherit property as William does.

If Harry, himself, set out to purchase property for himself at any given time, I'd bet my last frozen banana dipped in chocolate that he'd be looking in Africa.

:previous: I would assume the same income/way his brother upkeeps his homes. Surely not on his income as a part time pilot.

But no need for a manor. Honestly if nothing more than security, makes no sense for him not to live in one of the palaces when he is in London. If he insisted on private and his family covered added security, a flat or even townhouse in a nicer part of the city would be plenty. Unless he plans on living majority of the time else where, he really has no reason for another home. He can stay at Sandringham, Windsor, Balmoral or one of his father's estates when he is outside of London. When he has kids this may change, but like Will, it would make sense for him to have a home on one of the royal properties for security sake.

But just for hypothetical, they wanted him to have a private manor near London here are some stately homes for sale

London, England, United Kingdom Luxury Real Estate and Homes for Sales

Well, I think he has more money than Anne had when Gatcombe was purchased, and more than Edward when he and Sophie moved into their leased home, thanks to the money in Diana's will. Charles has no doubt put aside a very large sum for Harry over the years into a trust fund. The Queen may leave some money to her grandchildren, as perhaps the Queen Mother did with her great-grandchildren.

Nevertheless, it's always a question as to whether royals actually want to break into their capital to purchase such a place as an old manor house. That sort of thing was all very well in the 1930's when both the Kents and Gloucesters bought small estates with country houses attached, but nowadays labour costs of all sorts send maintenance sky-high.

It's often said that Harry will eventually take over Clarence House and/or Highgrove. I do think the maintenance costs on both of these really demands a Duchy income.

I just feel he'll probably get a nice flat or house at KP, with renovations paid for by Charles, and a house on the estate at Sandringham, when he eventually settles down. If he's going to put his hand in his own pocket to buy anywhere, my guess is it will be a fairly modest house and grounds in an African locale, for holidays. The security concerns will have to be taken into consideration though if he does.

:previous: I would assume the same income/way his brother upkeeps his homes. Surely not on his income as a part time pilot.

But no need for a manor. Honestly if nothing more than security, makes no sense for him not to live in one of the palaces when he is in London. If he insisted on private and his family covered added security, a flat or even townhouse in a nicer part of the city would be plenty. Unless he plans on living majority of the time else where, he really has no reason for another home. He can stay at Sandringham, Windsor, Balmoral or one of his father's estates when he is outside of London. When he has kids this may change, but like Will, it would make sense for him to have a home on one of the royal properties for security sake.

But just for hypothetical, they wanted him to have a private manor near London here are some stately homes for sale

London, England, United Kingdom Luxury Real Estate and Homes for Sales

Countessmeout, The London Real Estate Homes are exactly what I had in mind for possible purchases for Prince Henry. I think The Old Clock House with 4 bedrooms would work nicely for Harry. The guest rooms would be splendid for relatives.

Apparently at one stage Princess Michael had her eye on the Clock House as its rooms were more spacious than those in her own apartment, but it was said she was refused as the Queen wanted it reserved as a town house for either Andrew or Edward. That didn't happen, of course, so who knows now....?

Countessmeout, The London Real Estate Homes are exactly what I had in mind for possible purchases for Prince Henry. I think The Old Clock House with 4 bedrooms would work nicely for Harry. The guest rooms would be splendid for relatives.

Considering his relatives at this point have their own London bases or access, I don't see him needing 4 bedrooms. Nor 2 reception rooms, a conservatory, library and music room.

Considering his relatives at this point have their own London bases or access, I don't see him needing 4 bedrooms. Nor 2 reception rooms, a conservatory, library and music room.

You never know. Harry just might have a family of 3 or 4 kids and need all that room. I don't see him seriously thinking about a home though until that time comes. For a single guy, where he is suits him well.

Well, I think he has more money than Anne had when Gatcombe was purchased, and more than Edward when he and Sophie moved into their leased home, thanks to the money in Diana's will. Charles has no doubt put aside a very large sum for Harry over the years into a trust fund. The Queen may leave some money to her grandchildren, as perhaps the Queen Mother did with her great-grandchildren.

Nevertheless, it's always a question as to whether royals actually want to break into their capital to purchase such a place as an old manor house. That sort of thing was all very well in the 1930's when both the Kents and Gloucesters bought small estates with country houses attached, but nowadays labour costs of all sorts send maintenance sky-high.

It's often said that Harry will eventually take over Clarence House and/or Highgrove. I do think the maintenance costs on both of these really demands a Duchy income.

I just feel he'll probably get a nice flat or house at KP, with renovations paid for by Charles, and a house on the estate at Sandringham, when he eventually settles down. If he's going to put his hand in his own pocket to buy anywhere, my guess is it will be a fairly modest house and grounds in an African locale, for holidays. The security concerns will have to be taken into consideration though if he does.

I think if Harry wanted Highgrove- which makes sense to me actually as Charles will want it to go to one of his sons and William will have no need for it- his brother would help him maintain.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

You never know. Harry just might have a family of 3 or 4 kids and need all that room. I don't see him seriously thinking about a home though until that time comes. For a single guy, where he is suits him well.

Cyril wasn't talking future spouse and kids. He said guest rooms for relatives. I highly doubt a bachelor is going to consider a 16 room house, in case relatives need to crash, especially when your relatives are royals with castles and other London properties to stay. Harry is a senior royal, he more than likely will be like William, and given family size apartments in one of the palaces when needed. And perhaps inherit one of his father's homes, or be given a property on one of the queen's estates.

I think if Harry wanted Highgrove- which makes sense to me actually as Charles will want it to go to one of his sons and William will have no need for it- his brother would help him maintain.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Actually William most likely will inherit the use of Highgrove along with other Duchy of Cornwall properties but I don't think he'd have a problem with Harry using it and maintaining it. From what I've read, Harry is more the gentleman farmer type than William.

William controls the Duchy of Cornwall properties including Highgrove the minute he becomes Duke of Cornwall.

In the long term, William can't pay for Harry's extra manor house. William like his father is now doing with have to pay for George, Charlotte and other kids that come along. Charles isn't paying anything towards Anne, Edward and Andrew now.

In reality, only the heir has multiple homes. Edward, Anne, Andrew all have a country home and smaller London rooms. Margaret had a larger apt at KP and no country house.(her mystique house was a gift from Lord Glenconner)

If BP is in super bad shape, Charles and Camilla will probably remain at Clarence House post accession to allow for BP to be repaired sort like when Truman moved out of the White House when it was gutted and renovated for several years in the 1950s.

The Duke of Kent has Wren House at KP. Given the current Duke's age, that could be someplace for Harry to take over in the future when he needs more room.

Re:William and Highgrove- he definitely would have a use for it as a base closer to Wales and the Duchy of Cornwall lands. He isn't a green thumb guy but Kate is. She can oversee that area of the house. Then George take it over as Duke when his father is King.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:
The heir for the Duke of Kent won't inherit the use of Wren?

LaRae

Wren House is a grace and favor from the Queen for Duke doing royal duties. He doesn't own it. The next Duke isn't a Royal so it's like Apt 1a Margaret's kids didn't take it over. The same thing for the Gloucesters apartment. The next Duke doesn't get it either.

Of the Kents, Michaels of Kent, Gloucesters and Oglivies, only Alexandra and Edward still have private houses. The Kents sold their estate of Coppins in the 1970's. They lived in Amner for 18 years before owning a manor called Crocker end but they sold it. Alexandra owns Thatched house. Well she owns the leasehold on it, which they own for 150 years from the crown estates. It is private though, and during those years, it can be sold as such. Though they don't use it, the Gloucesters own Barnwell. Barnwell was purchased by the previous duke. Barnwell had ben granted in 1540 by Henry VIII to the Montagu family. With its sale, it remained in the family, as the Duke's wife Alice was a Montagu on her father's side.

Ah ok didn't realize it was a 'grace and favor' situation.

LaRae

Everything at KP is grace and favor. Some don't pay anything, others like Prince and Princess Michael of Kent pay rent.

Cyril wasn't talking future spouse and kids. He said guest rooms for relatives. I highly doubt a bachelor is going to consider a 16 room house, in case relatives need to crash, especially when your relatives are royals with castles and other London properties to stay. Harry is a senior royal, he more than likely will be like William, and given family size apartments in one of the palaces when needed. And perhaps inherit one of his father's homes, or be given a property on one of the queen's estates.

Cyril is now talking Future Spouse and children of Prince Harry. The Old Clock House would be ideal. The royal children could be given music lessons in the Music Room.
:whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::xmasbell::xmasbell::xmasbell:

With Financial markets in turmoil at the moment over the Brexit result, now is the ideal time to Negotiate a good deal in London. Anyone with a few spare million to Invest??

But just for hypothetical, they wanted him to have a private manor near London here are some stately homes for sale London, England, United Kingdom Luxury Real Estate and Homes for Sales

Oooh! House hunting! My favorite past time! :flowers: Most of the places seem character-less, but I did spark to Kensington Church W. Maybe it was all the light and suggestion of windows (at least).

My California soul needs sun and air. ;) But I would also need more garden and trees.

Seems it would be good for Harry hope it's true !

I come from Norfolk, that part of England. It's more a rural and agricultural county than anything, though it gets its fair share of tourists on the coast and the Broads (where people can sail.) It's a very flat county, but pretty in parts.

This house is reasonably near to Sandringham and Anmer on the Sandringham estate. It's certainly not a sun drenched touristy sort of spot, though tourists do visit Sandringham of course. There are quite a few country houses with aristocrats still living in them in the area (they're called 'turnip toffs') so if you wanted a nice country lifestyle it would be fine.

Bit cold in the winter, Muhler; the wind comes straight from the North Pole :lol:. I have to say that it doesn't seem likely to me that Harry would be buying a big house in Norfolk, until he has a family at least, but you never know!

Last edited:
Thanks, Curryong :flowers:

Sounds like a place I'd like to be.

Being Norfolk born and bred myself, I concur with Curryong's description of this county! Many parts of Norfolk are very secluded and off the beaten track, so it would be an ideal place for Harry to live.

Major step for Harry if in any way true, he wouldn't just be buying a house but a household, as expecting a certain level of staff would be required to run it.

Major step for Harry if in any way true, he wouldn't just be buying a house but a household, as expecting a certain level of staff would be required to run it.

Who currently owns the house ? Does anyone know ?

That's a lovely place. A true home. :flowers:

Is York Cottage an option for Harry and his perhaps future family?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom