The Falkland Palace of King James IV of Scotland was laid out around a courtyard,
There was a Great Hall on the north side.
On the east side were the royal apartments.
A chapel and vestry were on the south side.
King James V of Scotland, in 1537 to 1541, remodeled Falkland Palace to create Scotland's first palace in the continental Renaissance style.
James V had a gatehouse added at the west end of the palace.
This was designed to function as a new entrance.
Queen Mary of Scotland, the daughter of King James V, frequently visited Falkland Palace after her return to Scotland from France in 1561.