Wales Residences: Kensington Palace, Adelaide Cottage & Anmer Hall

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^^^^
Even unoccupied palaces have to be maintained which costs money. At least when they are occupied by the royals a lot of the expenses come from the royal budgets now provided by the Crown Estate and the Duchy of Cornwall. As we have seen when maintenance is the responsibility of a government office it keeps getting put off and put off until pieces start falling off and people are endangered.

When Charles is king, the Cambridges and Harry could stay at Kensington Palace and either Charles stays at Clarence House and opens BP to the public year round, or Charles could move to BP which would allow Clarence House to be emptied which would reduce the number of occupied palaces. St James Palace could also be emptied if Anne and Alexandra move out. Having 2 occupied palaces in London would be much cheaper than 4: BP for the monarch and KP for everyone else.

But Beatrice and Eugenie also live in St. James Palace. So there's more people to consider.

Royal refurbishment cost of Prince William and Kate Middleton's new home hits £1.1million | Royal | News | Daily Express

With Prince William and Kate looking to move in with their new baby in the autumn, figures published yesterday by the Royal Household gave an insight into the spiralling cost of renovating Apartment 1a.

Aides have conceded there will be further costs to the taxpayer but have refused to discuss the projected final bill after earlier insisting it would be a six-figure sum well under £1million. The 21-room, four-storey apartment, designed by Sir Christopher Wren, has been gutted to create a stylish home.

The work includes £600,000 on internal refurbishment, involving replacement of plumbing and boilers, re-wiring and removal of asbestos. A further £400,000 has been spent on replacing much of the badly-damaged slate tile and lead roof.

When Charles is king, the Cambridges and Harry could stay at Kensington Palace and either Charles stays at Clarence House and opens BP to the public year round, or Charles could move to BP which would allow Clarence House to be emptied which would reduce the number of occupied palaces. St James Palace could also be emptied if Anne and Alexandra move out. Having 2 occupied palaces in London would be much cheaper than 4: BP for the monarch and KP for everyone else.

Alexandra?? She lives in her own house Thatched Lodge in Richmond.

Alexandra?? She lives in her own house Thatched Lodge in Richmond.

St James' is still her London base, officially.

A King cannot stay at Clarence House, you can't host a state banquet there. BP is never going to be opened go the public year round and even then unless Charles or the government set up and entire fund for voluntary donations for the upkeep and maintenance of the palace leaving anywhere empty is futile.

There are a lot of people at St James' other than Anne and Alexandra, all royals use St James' or KP as their London base housing their staff etc.

St James is the official seat of the monarch and is used for many functions as well as houses offices.

It is also likely that when Charles becomes King that new London bases will need to be found for Andrew, Anne and Edward who all have apartments/offices/both at BP and also, if Philip outlives The Queen for him.

I suspect that St James, which includes CH, will be used for Charles' siblings in that case but I don't think Beatrice and Eugenie will stay in St James' once they marry.

Just my opinion. Charles will move to BP, W & C will move to CH, Harry will move to 1A. Charles's siblings will move to SJP or KP, and if DoE survives QE2, he will move to Windsor so he can live out the remainder of his days overlooking his garden and WGP.

Just my opinion. Charles will move to BP, W & C will move to CH, Harry will move to 1A. Charles's siblings will move to SJP or KP, and if DoE survives QE2, he will move to Windsor so he can live out the remainder of his days overlooking his garden and WGP.

Given the renovation now finishing up - which property will be nicer for a family - CH or KP A1? I understand that CH has room for a lot of staff, but as a home fit for a family with children, KP has more secluded gardens and room to play, I would think.
KP was fit for Charles as the boys grew up. Has anyone taken the CH tour to see how family friendly it is?
Finally, since Catherine and William are busy kitting out KP A1 to their own taste, and depending on the timing of things, they may not be all that excited about having to tackle it all over again at CH.
That's just some of the things I thought about as I read this discussion.

I don't think we'll see that much moving around. I think everyone will stay put.

When Charles becomes King, he & Camilla will move to BP. William & Kate will stay at KP. Harry stays wherever he is if given a marital property in London. Clarence House remains vacant until William becomes King then it will be Baby Cambridge's home. Baby Cambridge will be about 30 and might be married with kids.

This of course is under the assumption that the Queen lives until she is 100. Charles lives to the mid 90s.

I think KP should be closed. Buckingham Palace, Clarence House and St. James' Palace, are all confined in the same area. KP is a separate area and requires separate protection.

I think KP should be closed. Buckingham Palace, Clarence House and St. James' Palace, are all confined in the same area. KP is a separate area and requires separate protection.

But KP is also a museum, so there has to be plenty of security there anyway. I don't think it will ever be closed, especially since it's just been refurnished.

I don't think we'll see that much moving around. I think everyone will stay put.

When Charles becomes King, he & Camilla will move to BP. William & Kate will stay at KP. Harry stays wherever he is if given a marital property in London. Clarence House remains vacant until William becomes King then it will be Baby Cambridge's home. Baby Cambridge will be about 30 and might be married with kids.

This of course is under the assumption that the Queen lives until she is 100. Charles lives to the mid 90s.

Buckingham Palace is not in the same area as far as security is concerned, so limited savings in your scenario.

KP is considered very secure. The entire palace houses homes for both royals and non-royals and as stated previously, a museum. All the refurbishment has cost millions (for both the Charity running the Museum and the BRF). Won't close IMO

It should be closed as a private residence, when the current residents leave/die off.

Kensington Palace will be William & Catherine's official London residence.

I'm not sure what become of Clarence House one Charles is King. I think some royal correspondents think Charles will continue using the residence, when he's King. Probably for some official purposes. It could be handed down to Harry, especially when he gain a family of his own.

I get think feeling that Anne, Andrew and Edward offices will remain at Buckingham Palace.

It should be closed as a private residence, when the current residents leave/die off.

It would still have to be maintained. The people living there are not just royals but people who work for the Queen and PoW - and they pay for the privilege.

A King cannot stay at Clarence House, you can't host a state banquet there. BP is never going to be opened go the public year round and even then unless Charles or the government set up and entire fund for voluntary donations for the upkeep and maintenance of the palace leaving anywhere empty is futile.

There are a lot of people at St James' other than Anne and Alexandra, all royals use St James' or KP as their London base housing their staff etc.

Prince Charles has reportedly said he wants to live at Windsor and open up Buckingham Palace. Also, it could be argued that only the head of state should be housed at taxpayers expense. The other royals could perhaps live in privately owned homes in the capital. Otherwise they could pay rent to live the palaces like Prince Michaiel and the Yorkies do. If the Cambridges were to start paying rent to live in KP, it would help justify the £1m that has just been spent on them.

Couldn't Charles live at Clarence House, but do all his entertainment and state banquets at Buckingham Palace. Isn't that how most of the continents Europeans do. Live in a separate place, but work out of a different place.

^^^^
QEII and Philip wanted that at the beginning of their reign, since CH had just been refurbished for them, but the government would not allow it. The government felt BP was the monarchs official London residence and the monarch had to actually live there.

Prince Charles has reportedly said he wants to live at Windsor and open up Buckingham Palace. Also, it could be argued that only the head of state should be housed at taxpayers expense. The other royals could perhaps live in privately owned homes in the capital. Otherwise they could pay rent to live the palaces like Prince Michaiel and the Yorkies do. If the Cambridges were to start paying rent to live in KP, it would help justify the £1m that has just been spent on them.

"Charles" has said a lot of things! Most of which i doubt will ever come to fruition.
Who's arguing that Anne, Andrew, Edward, Sophie, Kents, Gloucester etc should pay rent on places they don't even live? KP or SJP is used as their London base when they're in London and for their staff. Michaels and Yorks live permanently in KP, that's a reason for them to pay rent. Should The Queen pay rent on BP so it justify's the millions of pounds worth of renovation? The Queen can use her 'pay rise' how she likes AFAIK, apparently renovation isn't top of her list.

Is this 1M coming from the taxpayer or The Duchy of Cornwall?

£1m for the renovation work at KP will come from the Sovereign Grant. any work on royal palaces will be paid from that.

The press is behaving as if all the money was spent solely on redecorating for William and Kate; wasn't a lot of it due to getting rid of asbestos, and basic maintenance?

£400k for a new roof and £600k for removal ofasbestor (that is done is controlled conditions) and rewiring, heating, plumbing etc. then £100k on professional fees.

Had to be done.

^^^^
QEII and Philip wanted that at the beginning of their reign, since CH had just been refurbished for them, but the government would not allow it. The government felt BP was the monarchs official London residence and the monarch had to actually live there.

One way to address the Windsor/BP issue would be to bring all the management function to BP - then it could still function for state occasions. Eliminating all but some suites for needed overnight stays would free up a lot of space.
Windsor could then become the primary residence. Queen Victoria did this after Albert died.
I do doubt this will happen. ;)

I Think that the Head of State should be based in the capital.
I think the idea of the Prime Minister traipsing out to Windsor ( return car journey of c. 3 hours) for the weekly meeting is wrong.

And before anyone says its only 30 miles away, London traffic pm is appalling.
my journey to work was 19 miles and it took 1hr and 40 minutes.

the concept once raised of "living over the shop" is still valid.

Does anyone really think Charles has a "choice" in this matter? Of course every monarch since Victoria disliked BP, but simply stayed there. There is lot more in a Palace, than just "comfortable to live". It signifies the seat of the Head of The Sate. It is, in its own way, a national monument/symbol. It is imprinted in the minds of not just British, but people all around the world, for generations, as the center of British Monarchy, with its unique "accessories" like The Mall, Victoria Memorial, etc..And with BP, people will feel much closer to the monarch(y).
Windsor is distant and removed..the words royals dread to hear. I understand its great historical significance, but just let it be a historical one.The present arrangement is more than enough to keep its legacy alive. But business-wise, no other royal residence can replace BP, I feel..
Charles will obviously move into BP (atleast I feel so)..

£400k for a new roof and £600k for removal ofasbestor (that is done is controlled conditions) and rewiring, heating, plumbing etc. then £100k on professional fees.

Had to be done.

This work was on one apartment at Kensington Palace and I wonder whether the other residences also have asbestos, aged roofs, ancient plumbing and possibly dangerous wiring. It seems likely to me that the whole palace needs restoration before there are accidents and disasters.

This work was on one apartment at Kensington Palace and I wonder whether the other residences also have asbestos, aged roofs, ancient plumbing and possibly dangerous wiring. It seems likely to me that the whole palace needs restoration before there are accidents and disasters.

You don't have to remove asbestos, but once you disturb the asbestos it has to be removed.

I wondered exactly how bad in shape apartment 1A was in. It was renovated fully in the early 1960s, so it wasn't like it was super old. The plumbing and wiring should have been in good shape.

:previous: Do you really think that 50 year old wiring is designed to cope with the sort of lifestyle we all enjoy in 2013? Articles about that refurbishment allude to decorative light fittings and switches which, while "hip" were still a little dodgy, but in they went. There were a few brave new innovations in the kitchen in the 60's but I'll bet they didn't envisage coffee makers, microwaves, food processors, bread makes, induction stove tops, range hoods, etc. Things we all take for granted.

And in the living room, did they have a little boxy TV? A flat screen, satellite viewing and various recording media are light years from then and in the 60's vinyl was king! The sound systems of today would have been beyond comprehension with all the electronics required to use them.

Then, lest we forget, there is Broadband. Instant Internet which is now a basic form of communication . . . and 1A is wired for a telephone . . . anyone remember those wonderful old clunky phones with their circular diallers? Lovely to look at but you needed a pencil to use the dialler unless you wanted your nails ruined.

As to interior decoration, well let's see, "interesting" wall paint and paper, 50 year old carpets and drapes . . . lots of orange and brown? Ugh! And, what about all those en suite bathroom facilities we take for granted? So would any guest in 2013.

How many of us would move into a 50 year old home and not update the electrical wiring, plumbing and completely redo the soft furnishings. We are not even talking about removing asbestos or fixing leaky roofs with appropriate but costly tiles to stay in character with the rest of the building. And since I'm sitting in the watery winter sun, how about a 50 year old heating system?

It is an enormous undertaking but having people living in a building keeps it up to date and stops decay. Empty buildings always go to the bottom of the "must do" list and keeping such an historical gem is imperative. Believe me, where I live there has been much angst at the loss of historic building in the recent quakes and they were only 150 years old . . . or less!

I read in the British papers that the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge would like to spend the first 6 weeks of their baby's birth at her parents home. I think this is a good idea! It was said in the papers that Camilla said there is "no room at Clarence House for them." That is where she & Prince Charles live. Prince Harry moved into the small 2 bedroom cottage with William & Catherine. The Duchess was supposed to have said the baby will sleep in their bedroom. What surprises me is there has been no mention of Queen Elizabeth inviting the couple to live in one of Buckingham Palace's apartments until full renovation has been completed at Kensington Palace. I think that is a bit rude since the baby will be 3rd in line to the throne. Yeah for Catherine to want to be with her parents for the first 6 weeks after giving birth to the baby. Off topic: I wish the papers would stop saying Kate Middleton. She is not a Middleton any longer.

I read in the British papers that the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge would like to spend the first 6 weeks of their baby's birth at her parents home. I think this is a good idea! It was said in the papers that Camilla said there is "no room at Clarence House for them." That is where she & Prince Charles live. Prince Harry moved into the small 2 bedroom cottage with William & Catherine. The Duchess was supposed to have said the baby will sleep in their bedroom. What surprises me is there has been no mention of Queen Elizabeth inviting the couple to live in one of Buckingham Palace's apartments until full renovation has been completed at Kensington Palace. I think that is a bit rude since the baby will be 3rd in line to the throne. Yeah for Catherine to want to be with her parents for the first 6 weeks after giving birth to the baby. Off topic: I wish the papers would stop saying Kate Middleton. She is not a Middleton any longer.

I wouldn't want a baby to spend it's first six weeks in BP. It's not exactly the cosiest home in the world. Also don't believe everything thing you read in the papers. Catherine and William are quite happy to wait in Anglesey until the KP renovations are complete.

It's time to end this game of Move the Royal.

Off topic posts have been deleted and will be continued to be notice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom