Current/Future Residences of Beatrice and Eugenie

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

royal-blue

Courtier
City
Balmoral
Country
United Kingdom
Currently both girls share an apartment in St James's Palace. There was speculation last year that Eugenie would be relocating to Ivy Cottage in the grounds of KP. Is this still the plan?

Also what is the likelihood of them having larger apartments at KP in the future once they have families of their own and new apartments are freed up?

I think both the York Princesses are essentially 'City types', and certainly Mr Brooksbank seems to be so.
But the era of 'Grace and Favour' residences for 'non-working' Royals IS coming to an end, so I think- Either 'the families' club together to buy a house/flat in London [as a Wedding present] or the couple get a Mortgage like everyone else...
It is possible that there a trust funds set aside 'for the purpose' by QEQM ?

Last edited:
I know that the Queen Mother established a trust fund for her great grandchildren with 19 million. I do not know what the details of the trust fund are but it lets me know that Eugenie is not totally dependent on family and her and Jack most likely could finance wherever they choose to live.

I definitely agree that they will not be given a grace and favor residence anywhere. They possibly could be given the use of Ivy Cottage but be responsible for paying rent on the place.

It is very likely they will pay rent on any home in a palace. It also makes more sense for any apartment that does become available in the future to be inhabited, rather than lay empty. I understand Prince & Princess Michael pay £120,000 a year for their apartment at KP. Surely anything this pricey would be well beyond the affordability of any non-working minor royal, no matter how well off they are.

The fact is that we do not know the financial worth of any of the royal family and most definitely non of the "non working minor royals" as they are private citizens. What they can or cannot afford is not for us to determine.

Living in a rented home on a palace's grounds makes it easy to ensure the security of members of the RF. I don't know if Beatrice and Eugenie have personal security attached to them, but they should based on their rank.

:previous: Agreed - but there has to be room at KP to do that.

I read that Ivy Cottage fell through as a result of some rather large mold-on-papers-stored-in-the-basement issues. There's been no word that it is being remediated. My guess is that with a lot of reno cash being sent to Buck Palace, there are not funds to deal with these other needy properties.

But I agree, fair value rental of some royal property solves a lot of security issues.

The BRF tends to reno properties one at a time. So stay tuned.

Living in a rented home on a palace's grounds makes it easy to ensure the security of members of the RF. I don't know if Beatrice and Eugenie have personal security attached to them, but they should based on their rank.

The last I heard is that Andrew is paying out of pocket for the York girls' security.

:previous: Agreed - but there has to be room at KP to do that.

I read that Ivy Cottage fell through as a result of some rather large mold-on-papers-stored-in-the-basement issues. There's been no word that it is being remediated. My guess is that with a lot of reno cash being sent to Buck Palace, there are not funds to deal with these other needy properties.

But I agree, fair value rental of some royal property solves a lot of security issues.

The BRF tends to reno properties one at a time. So stay tuned.

That's true that they're starting a major 10 year renovation at Buckingham Palace and that's going to eat up a lot of renovation funds. Also, I think there would be more of a rush to renovate a larger apartment for Harry and Meghan after the wedding than to renovate a cottage for Eugenie and Jack.

I'm sure that the Brookbanks will have a lovely marital home after their wedding. We'll just have to wait and see where. :D

Last edited:
Mold is a major issue. Not only one that wont go away, but will actually get worse over time if it isn't dealt with. Even if Eugenie doesn't move into Ivy, the mould needs to be dealt with or the building will have to remain vacant. There will likely be a push for Andrew to pay for a chunk of the work on the building.

As for Harry and Meghan it does depend on where they are put when wed. If they get the apartments that were vacated Michael Peat, the house doesn't need any major renovations. It is quite opulent and has been updated in recent years (doesn't need new wiring and such like the Cambridges). It may need some facelift cosmetically, but not major construction.

Unless Beatrice moves home to Royal Lodge, and allows the newly weds to have her and Eugenie's apartment in SJP, the issue does need sorting by fall. Its not that both sets of work cant be done at the same time. I am sure if Andrew is convinced to pay for the mould removal, he will negotiate a lower rent or such for his daughter or no rent for some period of time. Which would be fair enough, as the building needs the work done whether Eugenie lives there or not.

Mold is a major issue. Not only one that wont go away, but will actually get worse over time if it isn't dealt with. Even if Eugenie doesn't move into Ivy, the mould needs to be dealt with or the building will have to remain vacant. There will likely be a push for Andrew to pay for a chunk of the work on the building.

As for Harry and Meghan it does depend on where they are put when wed. If they get the apartments that were vacated Michael Peat, the house doesn't need any major renovations. It is quite opulent and has been updated in recent years (doesn't need new wiring and such like the Cambridges). It may need some facelift cosmetically, but not major construction.

Unless Beatrice moves home to Royal Lodge, and allows the newly weds to have her and Eugenie's apartment in SJP, the issue does need sorting by fall. Its not that both sets of work cant be done at the same time. I am sure if Andrew is convinced to pay for the mould removal, he will negotiate a lower rent or such for his daughter or no rent for some period of time. Which would be fair enough, as the building needs the work done whether Eugenie lives there or not.

I thought Beatrice lives in New York part of the time?

I don't see why Andrew should pay for mold removal or the infrastructure that has deteriorated if they go ahead with the renovation. Any redecorating, yes, but neither he nor his daughters will own the property. Reduced or no rent for the infrastructure renovation, then maybe.

Beatrice has an apartment in New York City as well as the lodgings at SJP and RL.

edit - I see your post now, O-H.

Assuming Ivy Cottage is currently uninhabitable, it may make more sense for Eugenie and her new husband to live at the current apartment st St James's Palace and for Beatrice to relocate.

I thought Beatrice lives in New York part of the time?

I don't see why Andrew should pay for mold removal or the infrastructure that has deteriorated if they go ahead with the renovation. Any redecorating, yes, but neither he nor his daughters will own the property. Reduced or no rent for the infrastructure renovation, then maybe.

I meant more along the lines of- if there is complaints 'we don't have the money right now because of BP and Harry's new apartments', a compromise could be made. Andrew doesn't own and never will Royal lodge, but he paid millions of dollars to do work on it. In return he was compensated through his lack of having to pay rent on the place (if he moves out before 25 years, he gets paid back a portion what he put in). I was simply suggesting a similar set up may be suggested for Eugenie. Andrew cover the initial cost of the mould and such, and in return Eugenie and Jack live there for free.

Beatrice spends a good chunk of the time in NY but as we see she is in London quite a bit as well. And when she is, she lives in the apartment in SJP with her sister. I guess if they aren't able to sort out the Ivy cottage situation before the wedding, Bea can just live with her dad in RL when she is in the UK. Not convenient really for London, but I guess Andrew also has a BP apartment that perhaps she can crash in when needed.

If she was living in London full time, it might be too much to ask a grown daughter to move in full time with dad, to vacate the space for Eugenie. But since she is only there from time to time, would make sense.

But the work does need doing, even if not for Eugenie, on the property. And with mould, the sooner the better.

No, they have been stripped of 'official security' a few years ago. And that's quite right. They are not working royals and not high profile enough to require 24-hour security paid by the taxpayer.

I'm not sure if Andrew is paying for security out of his own pocket but as long as he can afford it, it's ok.

Last edited:
Obviously Andrew is paying for their security noe, but at half a million a year, this won't continue into their thirties and forties. Living in a palace is the most secure place for any royal to live.

Some years ago the government made the decision to change who was entitled to 24/7 security:

the monarch and consort
the children of the monarch
the children of the heir apparent
the spouse of the heir apparent
the spouse of the heir apparent's heir apparent

Other royals have full security when doing royal duties e.g. Sophie was also stripped of 24/7 security and now only has it when on official duties as do the Gloucester's and Kent's.

I am not sure that Meghan will even get full time security in time. Harry has to higher level of security due to direct threats due to his service in Afghanistan. As that period fades in memory and William's children grow Harry and Meghan will be marginalised - as has happened to Andrew and before him Margaret and so 24/7 security won't be maintained, especially when William's children start needed it as they go about being teenagers and young adults.

With William and Kate having three children (and a major reason for stripping the minor royals of full-time security was the cost due to the Queen having four children) there will be less interest in Harry and Meghan in as little as a decade so she will probably be stripped of it sooner rather than later.

Eugenie was stripped of full-time security when she graduated from university, as was Beatrice. Louise and James never had it as they were never royal to begin with - along with Zara and Peter. If Harry follows that route - and given the rumours of a 'smaller royal family' I can see him going that way through two things - HM doesn't issue LPs to create any children HRH from birth or she lives long enough that any children will be aware enough to ask their grandfather to make the same decision as The Queen and let his will be made known to deny them the title by the simple procedure of letting the Will be made known. That would result in no taxpayer funded security for his children giving them a freedom denied to George and Charlotte.

:previous: Until they are working royals, and actually in the spotlight, Cambridge kids are not going to push Harry and Meghan into the limelight. A 14 year old, 12 year old and ten year old are not going to be making the news. Its likely a good 20 years if not more before they really make any news. They will have the same privacy in their school days as their dad. William will likely push for even more, as he thought the paps were too much in his life.

Harry's children will have titles, when their grandfather comes to the throne. Whether they are working royals or not in the future, which is debatable, is another matter all together. Harry as one of only 2 kids of the sovereign in a few years, and his wife, are much higher profile then Edward and Sophie were. Their children will be like Bea and Eugenie, who had security until they were done school. Harry's child is only one step further away from the throne (well when there is one) then Beatrice was when she was born.

As for Eugenie it only makes sense for her to live some where with built in security. As a somewhat profiled member of the royal family there is some risk. Having her live in a palace where there is already security, covers many concerns. Since she would be paying rent, as she does currently, its not like we are talking a grace and favor apartment here.

It would be ideal if the Kents, Gloucesters or Prince and Princess Michael were to downsize to a smaller royal residence in the near future to free up an apartment for Eugenie.

It would be ideal if the Kents, Gloucesters or Prince and Princess Michael were to downsize to a smaller royal residence in the near future to free up an apartment for Eugenie.

Why should they move to accommodate anyone? There are other apartments. Eugenie would also have to pay for the apartments. The kind of rent she would have to pay for say Prince Michael's apartments, Daddy would have to pay the bill. It would be well above what Eugenie and Jack could pay, even with her trust fund interest. They don't need that much space and grand rooms either.

Why should they move to accommodate anyone? There are other apartments. Eugenie would also have to pay for the apartments. The kind of rent she would have to pay for say Prince Michael's apartments, Daddy would have to pay the bill. It would be well above what Eugenie and Jack could pay, even with her trust fund interest. They don't need that much space and grand rooms either.

Noone needs to downsize, but if they happened to do so it would be an ideal opportunity for younger royals to upside.

Obviously Eugenie has a new home at Ivy Cottage, but now that Beatrice has moved out of her apartment at St James Palace, is she ever likely to move to KP in the future, especially if she ever marries?

Obviously Eugenie has a new home at Ivy Cottage, but now that Beatrice has moved out of her apartment at St James Palace, is she ever likely to move to KP in the future, especially if she ever marries?

Well, I guess it depends on her longterm plans. If she continues living in NYC and marries an American then I can't see her moving to KP. If she plans to return to the UK under Charles' reign so she can be a CoS, then I could see a scenario where she lives at KP. Maybe take Wren House after the Kents pass on, if she has a husband who's willing to pay the rent.

Are Eugenie and Jack likely to stay at Ivy Cottage permanently? Also what is the likelihood of them acquiring a country residence?

If Beatrice ever marries and has a family is she likely to stay put in her current SJP apartment long term?

Are there cottages on the grounds of Royal Lodge where Eugenie&Jack could live?

Wasn't there some story of Eugenie being seen letting herself into a new building development in London and inspecting a penthouse? I'm sure I read it somewhere recently.

I'm sure Andrew will assist in buying a house or apartment in London for Eugenie and Jack if they need somewhere larger eventually than Ivy Cottage. However, there's a bit of difficulty about the Queen gifting her granddaughters any property in that they aren't working royals, of course. I really think that it will be up to Andrew to give any financial assistance when his daughters need homes.

Are there cottages on the grounds of Royal Lodge where Eugenie&Jack could live?

Yes, quite a few. However I imagine most are occupied by staff, but of course they could be made available to Eugenie and Jack. I don't know if they are big though so may be no point moving into a small 3 bed cottage if they have Ivy Cottage at KP.

The National Audit Office report (https://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2005/04/royal_property_leases.pdf) lists the properties on the lease to Andrew as:
Grade II listed house set within 40 hectares of grounds together with a Gardener's Cottage, Chapel Lodge, 6 Lodge Cottages, and Police security accommodation.

Looking at google maps the lodge cottages are directly at the front of the drive and very public and no doubt too small for Jack and Eugenie. The only larger options I can see is the houses marked here https://www.google.co.uk/maps/searc...4879,-0.601956,304a,35y,294.94h/data=!3m1!1e3
and here https://www.google.co.uk/maps/searc...862,-0.6080668,223a,35y,294.94h/data=!3m1!1e3

Last edited:
I heard that Eugenie and Jack have relocated to Frogmore Cottage. Is there any truth in this? It seems quite big for their needs.

I heard that Eugenie and Jack have relocated to Frogmore Cottage. Is there any truth in this? It seems quite big for their needs.
See one of the Sussex threads; it is being discussed extensively there - although this thread indeed seems to make more sense ?

:previous:
And also in this thread, we could focus on residence of Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank (as well as Princess Beatrice & Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi), particularly leading to or after the birth of Baby Brooksbank!!! ;)

Some have mentioned in the Sussex thread that Frogmore Cottage could be a temporary residence while Eugenie and Jack are house hunting in Windsor or other villages/towns in the Berkshire county. Many including myself think that the couple wants Baby Brooksbank to grow up and possibly attend school in Windsor rather than London. Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie, Lady Louise Windsor and James, Viscount Severn have at least one stage attended school in Windsor. Another reason is that Prince Andrew still lives in Royal Lodge, which is not too far from Frogmore Cottage or other residence nearby.

Before COVID, I think Eugenie worked in London, which explained why Jack and herself lived in Ivy Cottage. At one point, some have pointed out that Eugenie and Jack were isolating with Andrew and Sarah at Royal Lodge.
https://www.standard.co.uk/insider/...ts-sarah-ferguson-prince-andrew-a4403136.html

I don't believe all of this story. Yes I agree it is a good move for Eugenie and Jack, but what I don't really believe is that Harry and Meghan would ever want to stay there with the cousins living there. Doesn't make much sense to me. If Harry and Meghan do visit the UK again I imagine it wouldn't be for an extended period. They could always bunk down at Nottingham cottage in KP or stay at Soho house as Meghan preferred. There's lots of other places that may be available to them as well. I just don't see them Wanting to stay at Frogmore cottage.

Back
Top Bottom