http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/...7776753142.jpg

Old 02-22-2017, 06:23 PM
Serene Highness

Can I have some of that cake?

Old 10-13-2017, 07:51 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

Another issue though was if The Queen and Philip were to stay in CH where would the Queen Mum and Margaret go? Queen Mary was still in Marlborough House. It wouldn't have been right for the Queen Consort of the previous king and the younger daughter of the monarch to stay in BP.
I'm sure the Queen Mother would have loved to have stayed at Buckingham Palace as long as she could.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:41 PM
Majesty

Ouch!
Old 10-13-2017, 08:56 PM
Courtier

Didn’t it take the QM 18 months to leave BP? I think she had a hard time “stepping down “. I’ve read she was reluctant at first going to Clarence House because it was to small
Old 10-13-2017, 09:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missjersey View Post
Didn’t it take the QM 18 months to leave BP? I think she had a hard time “stepping down “. I’ve read she was reluctant at first going to Clarence House because it was to small
Yes. She moved to CH in May 1953, a couple of weeks before the coronation. She called it "that horrid little house" and didn't think it was fit for her status.

Even though she couldn't have moved to CH immediately after the King's death, she certainly overstayed her welcome at BP.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:50 PM
Aristocracy

Are William and Kate moving to CH once the Charles becomes King?

I don't think it would be appropriate for them to stay at KP as Prince and Princess of Wales. They need a grand house for themselves, not a palace crammed with minor royal relatives.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:59 PM
Majesty

I think if anyone moves to CH it would be Harry and his family. Kate and William have KP just like they want it..renovated etc. No reason for them to move.

LaRae
Old 01-17-2018, 10:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Nothing has been announced.

It would be way more appropriate for William and Kate - the future King and Queen to move into Clarence House than Harry who is only going to move further and further away from the throne as the years pass.

We are assuming that Charles even intends on leaving CH which it has been rumoured he doesn't want to do anyway.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronprinz View Post

I don't think it would be appropriate for them to stay at KP as Prince and Princess of Wales. They need a grand house for themselves, not a palace crammed with minor royal relatives.
KP was Prince Charles and Princess Diana's London home. So I think it's more than appropriate. Besides, they have a much bigger apartment.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:04 PM
Gentry

Quote:

Even though she couldn't have moved to CH immediately after the King's death, she certainly overstayed her welcome at BP.
What is your source for your statement that she "certainly overstayed her welcome"?
Old 01-17-2018, 11:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Yes. She moved to CH in May 1953, a couple of weeks before the coronation. She called it "that horrid little house" and didn't think it was fit for her status.

Where do you suggest she and Margaret live (in London) if not at Buckingham Palace while Clarence House was being renovated?
Old 01-18-2018, 01:46 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Charles is certainly not moving to BP for at least another decade, irrespective of him becoming King. BP has just started a decade long programme of renovation, so if Charles does become King sometime over the next decade, he may prefer to get the builders out before he moves in.

I suspect W&C can take a view then if they want to move to CH, or carry on at KP. Even if they move, IMO, the work they have done on the KP apartment will not have been wasted, and would have been used for at least 15 years. CH itself may have to be updated (having last been renovated in 2002) before the next occupants move in.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
KP was Prince Charles and Princess Diana's London home. So I think it's more than appropriate. Besides, they have a much bigger apartment.
Well, there wasn't much of a choice for Charles and Diana at the time.

Had the Queen Mother not been alive when they married, I believe they would have set up residence at Clarence House.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Where do you suggest she and Margaret live (in London) if not at Buckingham Palace while Clarence House was being renovated?
I'm sure something could have been arranged for them at Kensington Palace or St James's Palace but that would not fly with the Queen Mother.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Clarence House didn't need renovating in 1952. Elizabeth and Philip had just spend the equivalent in today's money of a lot more than William and Kate did on KP in 1948 - 1949.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:30 PM
Gentry

Quote:
I'm sure something could have been arranged for them at Kensington Palace or St James's Palace but that would not fly with the Queen Mother.
It probably didn't make much sense for the Queen Mother & Princess Margaret to move from Buckingham Palace to Kensington/St. James's Palace only to move once again when Clarence House was ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Clarence House didn't need renovating in 1952. Elizabeth and Philip had just spend the equivalent in today's money of a lot more than William and Kate did on KP in 1948 - 1949.
It was redecorated & altered for the Queen Mother & Princess Margaret after the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh moved out. Part of this was necessary to accommodate the QM's taste as well as her larger collection of paintings, objets d'art, etc. Elizabeth and Philip had only been married a few years and hadn't had time to amass a collection of their own.

I have no idea how extensive the alterations were but according to William Shawcross the QM wasn't happy when Members of Parliament commented on the cost. She apparently asked "perhaps they would like me to retire decently to Kew and run a needlework guild?" (William Shawcross, Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother: The Official Biography, p. 677).

She also purchased the Castle of Mey during this time. She liked to live very extravagantly.

Tags
clarence house, prince charles, prince of wales, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth the queen mother, queen mother