The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-26-2014, 11:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think one reason that Clarence House was dear to HM and the DoE is because that is where she resided with her parents when they were still the Duke and Duchess of York. Its her childhood home. I imagine that's one reason the Queen Mum moved in there. She must have had some very fond memories in those rooms.

Edit: I did some checking and it wasn't Clarence House but rather Royal Lodge. I should check facts before I hit that save button.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:41 PM
Courtier

If BP is only for formal functions and not as a residence then if only makes sense if Charles & Camilla are to stay in CH & not move into BP even when Charles becomes king then William and Kate will remain in KP while William is king and George will remain in CH while he is king. They can alternate between CH & KP apt 1A and no one move into BP.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:19 AM
Serene Highness

Clarence House

If BP needs major renovation, I could a temporary stay at Clarence House like what happened with the White House. When Truman was President, the WH was in very bad shape, he and his family moved across the street to Blair House which is a used for guest of the WH. The gutted the WH and rebuilt it from the inside.

I don't BP is that bad. However, like the WH, BP is a symbol. The US president lives in the WH and the Queen lives at BP. BP is still needed to be the office of the royal household and for the state areas and balcony. It would still need to be heated and lighted and guarded.

I think some of this I don't want to move to BP, is that you don't want to leave the comfortable surroundings. At the time of the King's death, they had just renovated CH and had a small staff with Philip in charge of the household. All that would change in BP.

Clarence House didn't become home to the heir or Dowager until Princess Elizabeth. It was Marlborough House that had that function but it was still being used by Queen Mary.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Isn't there a lot of repairs that are needed for BP? Perhaps that would be one reason for Charles to stay at Clarence House and allow for renovations without worrying about the King being in residence. The work could shut down for the times that tours or garden parties or investitures and state banquets are scheduled.
Perhaps a solution could be for Charles to stay put after the Queen dies, to allow for refurbishment of BP, until his coronation which would be 18 months or so later, when Charles and Camilla could move in.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:58 PM
Majesty

The Coronation could be much sooner than 18 months. I have read that the government don't want to wait over a year again and the 18 months between The Queen's accession and coronation was due to George VI's death occurring in February and a desire to have a summer coronation.

I could even see a winter death followed by a summer coronation in the same year in the future as the idea of 'mourning' being an official state for 12 months etc has gone out the window these days.

BP will take millions to refurbish and the government may not be prepared to stump up for it to happen. I believe the figure is already around 30 - 50 million in arrears for repairs and that doesn't include the fact that there has been no major refit since the 1940s.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:06 PM
Heir Apparent

that's why Charles wont live there - he'll sort out the refit. Having done similar work on smaller properties he would do

1. Outer structure (safety issues)
2 Infra structure (boilers, electrics, any asbestos, new windows kitchens etc)
3. State apartments, (get the tours going) and guest quarters
4. Staff quarters (they havent been upgraded either)
5. Private accommodation

Will take years (estimate c. 10)and only if Government let them carry over "savings" yr on yr to support the capital works. Normally this is not allowed with public expenditure budgets.

Charles stays in CH; Marlborough House as well as SJP can be used for "events"

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-27-2014, 06:13 PM
Serene Highness

Clarence House

The wait between George's death and the coronation was to prepare the Abbey. It was closed and structures built to increase the capacity from 2000 to 8000 people. You had a similar delay with George V. With the next coronation, maybe they don't do this and it could be staged quicker.

Marlborough House was given by the queen for Commonwealth HQ so may not be option for things not Commonwealth related. Why not just move to Windsor? It is close to London plus has reception areas.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:54 PM
Nobility

Perhaps Charles could divide his time between CH and WC when he is King. BP could then be fully refurbished by the time William is King. This would mean no royals would have to move, other than Charles to WC, and also taking over Sandringham and switching from Birkhall to Balmoral.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
Perhaps Charles could divide his time between CH and WC when he is King. BP could then be fully refurbished by the time William is King. This would mean no royals would have to move, other than Charles to WC, and also taking over Sandringham and switching from Birkhall to Balmoral.
I really do hope that they look into making BP and other historical national buildings structurally sound and safe so that they do last into the centuries ahead. Contrary to the public believing that this is done for the royals, it is preserving British history.

There is nothing written in stone that the King needs to reside at Sandringham or Balmoral or Windsor Castle. We're just so used to it being that way with a Queen that has been on the throne for over 60 years. The one place I do think Charles will have a very hard time giving up (if he has to) is Highgrove. I think he's poured his heart and soul into that place.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:46 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The wait between George's death and the coronation was to prepare the Abbey. It was closed and structures built to increase the capacity from 2000 to 8000 people. You had a similar delay with George V. With the next coronation, maybe they don't do this and it could be staged quicker.

Marlborough House was given by the queen for Commonwealth HQ so may not be option for things not Commonwealth related. Why not just move to Windsor? It is close to London plus has reception areas.

George V was crowned in June 1911 - 13 months after his father's death.

Victoria was also crowned just over a year after her predecessor's death.

The other more recent coronations have had a longer lead in time - because the monarch has died in winter and they wanted a coronation in summer and needed at least a year for mourning.

There have already been reports that they don't want to have an 18 month lead in again (can't remember when or where I read that but have done so).

It only took them 5 months to prepare the abbey in 1953 so could be done again in 5 months.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:26 PM
Nobility

I read in what I believe was a book a few years ago, that the Queen Mother demanded to move in to Marlborough House after Queen Mary's death in 1953 because she felt that Clarence House was too small. Prince Philip put his foot down because it was too expensive for her to manage. Is there anyone who have heard this story?
Old 06-29-2014, 08:01 PM
Royal Highness

The painting A Lady in a Pink Ballgown hung over the fireplace in the Morning Room.

Tags
clarence house, prince charles, prince of wales, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth the queen mother, queen mother