Clarence House

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i may be wrong about this but i understand that the RF don't particularly like BP and only use it as an "office". they prefer their own "homes" - HM like Windsor Castle and now that Charles is in CH i suppose he prefers it there. anyone have anymore details about this?

Yes, I think Prince Philip once compared living at BP to "living above the shop". :D

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh wanted to stay living at Clarence House and use Buckingham Palace for their daily workplace when she became Queen. Prime Minister Churchill insisted that the monarch must reside at Buckingham Palace.

Yes, I think Prince Philip once compared living at BP to "living above the shop". :D

"CasiraghiTrio" - if you'd tell me the name you prefer to be called (as long as it's polite :lol:), I'll forget about any former association with persons who are known by the name of Casiraghi... PM me if you wish.:flowers:

As for BP being just the "office" - isn't the official seat of the offices St. James' palace? At least the ambassadours are presented to the "Court of St. James" as this was the official residence of the souverain till one of the Georges bought Buckingham Palace (which had originally been built as townhouse for the Duke of Buckingham during the reign of Charles II.) in 1837 and moved there.

So I guess Charles could stay at Clarence House and use the rooms and offices in St. James' P or BP as king, if he so prefered. It would make sense, too, as BP will need renovations of the private appartments while CH is already exactly as Charles and Camilla like it.

"CasiraghiTrio" - if you'd tell me the name you prefer to be called (as long as it's polite :lol:), I'll forget about any former association with persons who are known by the name of Casiraghi... PM me if you wish.:flowers:
Casiraghi or CT is fine. It's just easier to keep the name, keep it simple (or "keep it simple stupid" like some say) :D
As for BP being just the "office" - isn't the official seat of the offices St. James' palace? At least the ambassadours are presented to the "Court of St. James" as this was the official residence of the souverain till one of the Georges bought Buckingham Palace (which had originally been built as townhouse for the Duke of Buckingham during the reign of Charles II.) in 1837 and moved there.
I never remember which George bought BP either. I think it might have been George III who bought it,and let Queen Charlotte use it entirely to herself, and then George IV hated it, as did William IV, if I remember. Then I suppose Queen Empress Vicky rather appreciated it as a good place to do business, and the rest is ancient history. The British Monarchy site says BP became the official London seat for the Monarch in 1837, the same year Victoria became Queen.
So I guess Charles could stay at Clarence House and use the rooms and offices in St. James' P or BP as king, if he so prefered. It would make sense, too, as BP will need renovations of the private appartments while CH is already exactly as Charles and Camilla like it.
It's interesting how much BP has become synonymous with the British monarchy, even with the diplomatic symbol being the "Court of St. James". However, I wouldn't put it past Charles to take the Court back to St. James in effect. Whomever is PM at the time of his Accession is more likely than not to be indifferent as to where the Court resides officially. Yet these kinds of matters are always being influenced by the politics of the day. It may be so that Churchill insisted on the new Queen's court going to BP in order to present a strong image for the monarchy in the face of Cold War politics. Who knows?

these two according to wikipedia...

The name is now usually used only when accrediting and receiving ambassadors.

and:

The court is often incorrectly described as the "Court of St. James".

Look here: Picture of a hall in Clarence House (ABACA)
You can see two portraits here. On the left, surely the late Queen Mother as a young Lady Elizabeth or Duchess of York. On the right, ?? Does anyone know?
Maybe.......... Princess Margaret or The Queen? The hairstyle reminds me more of The Queen.

when i did the tour of Clarence House there was a framed picture of Queen Sonja of Norway and one of the other tourists asked was that a picture of the Queen Mother :eek::lol::eek::lol: i was shocked

the tour is quite short as you see only a few rooms either 4 or 5 cannot quite remember there are lots of small family pics of william and harry when they were young and of course lots of the queen mum, in the rooms the bookcases and the layout of the books (ie the colour of the spines) reflects the decor of the rooms

Actually, I believe Princes William and Harry have their own apartments at York House.

I believe they used to have apartments at YH, but they have long since moved over to CH. Remember that The Princess Royal now has apartments in YH (she used to be at BP but no more) and it seems that some other members of the RF, I think perhaps The Duke of Kent, maintain offices at YH too.

I believe they used to have apartments at YH, but they have long since moved over to CH. Remember that The Princess Royal now has apartments in YH (she used to be at BP but no more) and it seems that some other members of the RF, I think perhaps The Duke of Kent, maintain offices at YH too.

Yes, in fact a lot of York House is used now as offices for the Royal Collection Trust staff, so I can't imagine it also houses private apartments for Princes William & Harry.

There was something in the Press about 6 months ago about William moving to a flat in Dolphin Square in Pimlico. No idea if that actually happened, or if he is now back at CH.

Dolphin Square? I have not heard that Muriel. I do know that Princess Anne and Tim had property there some years ago, don't know if they still do.

There was something in the Press about 6 months ago about William moving to a flat in Dolphin Square in Pimlico. No idea if that actually happened, or if he is now back at CH.

I read that also, although since that one time nothing else has been mentioned about Dolphin Square.

* I remember the Dolphin Square story about William, but I don't know if he actually bought the place, or rented it for awhile, because the rumors did not have any follow up. An article from December 2007 in the Telegraph said that William and Harry both have top-floor apartments in Clarence House. The Dolphin Square story either came from Duncan Larcombe at The Sun or Dean Rousewell at The People. I don't remember which one.

It's interesting that you never see the kids entering any apartments of their own...I guess they do still live with dad...maybe security would be too expensive...

Love the renovations , looks like a home and not a "stately pile":lol:

Those visiting London this summer will have the opportunity to see how the royal family lives by taking an exclusive tour of Clarence House.

Take a tour of Clarence House

So, where did Charles and the boys live before moving to CH?

Before moving to Clarence House, Prince Charles resided in an apartment in St James's Palace.

As of 2007 when the Princes were interviewed by American media, their official residence was at Clarence House. Is it still their official residence?

:previous:

Clarence House is still the official residence of The Prince of Wales; however the official residence (office) of Princes William and Harry is now St James's Palace.

Looks like property managers in London spend a lot on publicists. Clarence House and Buckingham Palace both have self-contained suites within their secure settings. Would you rather burden the tax payer and the inflated security services with more babysitting?

I was reading on The Prince of Wales site that Prince William and Prince Harry's offices or household are at St. James but their official residence is still Clarence House. It is dated Jan 6th, 2009.

[Thats right. The Office of Princes William & Harry is run from St James'.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose that Charles will move to Buckingham Palace when he becomes King. Will William then move into Clarence House? Is there a chance that Charles will stay on in Clarence House rather than moving to Buckingham Palace?

I suspect that as King, Charles will reside at BP. If the DoE has predeceased the Queen, then William will live at Clarence House IMO. If not, query whether Prince Philip may move to Clarence House? That said, I think Prince Philip will be accomodated at BP itself for the remainder of his years.

I don't think Charles will stay at BP, and it's most likely that William will move to Clarence House.
I imagine that Prince Phillip and The Queen or Prince Phillip alone will reside at Windsor. :)

Once Charles becomes King he will probably move into BP but then again he mightn't and hand it over to the public with the King residing in Clarence House.
The Queen want be living anywhere when Charles is King of course.

Prince Philip - who knows but I wouldn't be surprised if he continues to use the apartments in which he is now residing - making it easier for the public to get used to the idea of the King not living in BP.

Why wouldn't Charles live in Buckingham Palace? Has there been talk that he would refuse to make it his residence once he is king? It has been the residence of the monarch since Victoria and I would imagine the public would not support its maintenance if the King did not live there.

Back
Top Bottom