Castle of Mey, Caithness, Scotland

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks much for the links. I've always had kind of a soft spot for the Castle of Mey. It just resonates with me for some reason.

If you look at the painting in the first link and then at the photo in the second link, its very obvious that its the Castle of Mey in the painting and not Windsor.

Sorry muriel, you're not correct.

The castle in the background is Mey.

I saw this portrait in person when I visited the Castle of Mey in 2014.

It is the only portrait of the Queen Mother with Mey, and was done by the artist Mara McGregor.

The Queen Mother used to have it at Clarence House, but it now hangs above the fireplace in the Equerry's room at Mey.

The corgi in the painting is named "Ranger".

It was painted for the Queen Mother's 90th birthday and was commissioned by the Royal Warrant Holders' Association.

It was presented to her by their president Barry Reed at the former residence of the Strathmore family in St. Jame's Square.

The Queen lent this portrait to the Castle of Mey Trustees for them to display it there.

I think you may be right, apologies.

I think you may be right, apologies.

Not at all muriel, no worries.

You may notice that the corgi looks a little out of proportion in the painting.

This was the artist's solution to the Queen Mother's request that her favourite dog, "Ranger", be prominent.

She painted him a little over-size so the viewer pays more attention to him than if he was just the right size. Clever idea.

Last edited:

Wonderful photos Spheno - I so like this place.

You can see the tartan Loch Ness monster on the top of the tapestry in this photo, that the Queen Mother used to break the ice with new guests by saying that it looked like "Nessie" had moved along since last time.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/q...im_Alai2q8iyUwNKqzYL3sM6HkoXss=w6398-h3600-no

And amongst the photos on this table is one showing her corgies sleeping on the stone spiral stairs leading to her bedroom.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/3...87upDyyT7oqiMu4O2MoOhbCXh66Ab0=w6398-h3600-no

Ah, a piece of heaven right here on earth! What a gorgeous place that is and if only....

My thoughts exactly. If only I had the money I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat. :D

I like that big solid grab-bar over the bathtub. I'm only 57, but I'd like knowing it's there.

Last edited:
I noticed that too. I'm 65 and with bad knees and bad back, that grab bar I have in my bathtub comes in very, very handy. In fact it was a selling point when we bought this place. Now to figure out how to get a boatload of money, pack up and move to Scotland and bring all my loved ones with me.

Then again, getting close to bedtime. I think I have my dream for the night. :D

I saw the outside of the Castle of Mey yesterday :)

If, after her death, the Queen Mother had instead passed the castle on to her daughter, would the Queen actually have had the time to spend at the castle, and also oversee it's upkeep?

It's quite pretty...probably best it was turned over for preservation and tours etc. The Queen seems quite fixed at Balmoral and Sandringham...doubt she had time for Mey.

LaRae

I'm sure that the entire family has very fond memories of the Castle of Mey. Of being on the Brittania and sailing there and the Queen Mum waving and the ship blaring its horn in greeting.

This castle was uniquely the Queen Mother's. It was her sanctuary and one she definitely felt at home at. Scotland was in her blood until the day she died. I do love how she's left it. She found the castle in 1952 shortly after George VI died and saw it was to be abandoned so she "rescued" it. Now its forevermore a part of Scotland and in trust. I see it somewhat like what Charles did for Dumfries House. Like grandmother, like grandson.

The Castle of Mey is too remote and location is the most important factor with property.

In 1996 The Queen Mother created The Queen Elizabeth Castle of Mey Trust so that Mey Castle could continue in perpetuity for the benefit of the people of Caithness.

Has it ever been reported that anyone other than Charles and Camilla (and now Harry and Meghan) have stayed at Castle of Mey ? I am sure the rest of the family must have at some point in their lives.

Is it true that Charles has to pay and rent out the castle as other do if he wants to stay there?

Has it ever been reported that anyone other than Charles and Camilla (and now Harry and Meghan) have stayed at Castle of Mey ? I am sure the rest of the family must have at some point in their lives.

Is it true that Charles has to pay and rent out the castle as other do if he wants to stay there?

Last week the Daily Fail had a pic of the Queen, the Duke and a group of the royal family at Mey, a couple of years ago.

From all I've read, Charles does pay rent when he stays there. He usually stays for a week each year.

Anyone can book and stay at the Castle of Mey. I think it would be a wonderful setting for a wedding. :D

https://www.castleofmey.org.uk

There was a big lunch at the Castle of Mey during the Britannia cruise for Anne's 60th and Andrew's 50th.

The Queen, Philip, Anne and her husband Tim, her son Peter and his wife Autumn, Andrew and his daughters Beatrice and Eugenie, Edward and his wife Sophie and their children, were all photographed there.

Here is one of many shots of the occasion -

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/08/02/article-1299700-0AA9A62F000005DC-709_634x439.jpg

Charles hosted - though he was not on the cruise.

And here is an interesting photo taken at the Castle during the Queen Mother's time.

Andrew Parker Bowles, Diana's grandmother Lady Fermoy, Camilla -

https://78.media.tumblr.com/cc0b1f426b01a88a21b0f428c448be6d/tumblr_oun2totLUV1ssue4ho1_500.jpg

We were told a lot about life at Mey by the tour guide - Philip building the stairs, Margaret never sleeping in "her" bedroom, the daily routine of the Queen Mother.

Lots of details in one of my previous posts. Anne stayed overnight just before we visited, as she had duties in the area.

Last edited:
I wonder if the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall will holiday at the castle this summer?

I wonder if the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall will holiday at the castle this summer?

All travel restrictions will be gone by then I think so maybe they will. It's lovely if rather remote.

Back
Top Bottom