Wales Residences: Kensington Palace, Adelaide Cottage & Anmer Hall

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh sheesh.. thanks a lot Thumbahlina. Now I really, really want to go there and spend time going through all these kinds of places like residences and Westminster Abbey and the works. Trouble is I can barely make it to Walmart these days. :ROFLMAO:

Although I'm sure much of this information is available elsewhere around these forums, I thought I'd post the history of the Sandringham estate as it appears on the website of the British Monarchy. Enjoy!

Perhaps this belongs in the Sandringham thread and should the moderators feel it does, please move it?

http://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalResidences/SandringhamHouse/History.aspx

THE Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have been given planning permission to build a new £60,000 tennis court at their country home.
Their new AstroTurf court will replace one which has fallen into disrepair at Anmer Hall on the Sandringham estate in Norfolk.

It will be built just 36 feet away from the old court to help improve the views from the 10-bedroom Georgian hall. The existing court will be dug up and turned into part of the back garden.

King’s Lynn and West Norfolk Borough Council granted planning consent to the Sandringham estate to carry out the work earlier this week, it emerged today.

Documents on the council’s website reveal that no members of the public, councillors or officials from public bodies objected to the plans.

The creation of the new court will involve the removal of 10 trees, including a silver birch, Japanese and Norwegian maples, a fruit tree and a poisonous labernum which poses a potential danger to the couple’s children Prince George and Princess Charlotte.
Read more: William and Kate win planning permission to build £60,000 tennis court | Royal | News | Daily Express

This is not how I remember the announcement. KP was to be official res - but no mention of time spent as I recall it. Anyone else have any recall:

"All the signs are that William and Kate want to make Anmer their main home to bring up Prince George and Princess Charlotte in rural seclusion, even though their office had insisted that their official residence at Kensington Palace would be where they spent most of their time after £4.5 million of taxpayers’ money was spent refurbishing their 22-room apartment there."

I'm not sure in the end how much time will be spent where. There is no minimum residency requirement for their homes.

KP is their official London Residence and Anmer Hall is the country retreat.

William will be adding castles and palaces over the course of his lifetime soo...

Last edited:
I always took the "official residence" statement to mean that it would be the hub from which their official business was conducted as in where their PR staff and communications are based and perhaps any official entertaining they do over the years to come. Anmer is more their family home

I really don't see William amassing any more homes or palaces or apartments or any other kind of real estate and truly feel that the Cambridges will reside at KP or Anmer for quite a long time or at least until William become King.

Cambridge Residences: Kensington Palace & Anmer Hall

My often stated opinion, both here and otherwise, is that during both the reigns of Charles and William we'll se a downsizing of the numbers of residences used by the Sovereign. I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to stay on in their present homes and use BP as an official residence where they work and hold official functions with Windsor either as a secondary official residence or a (somewhat grand) weekend home.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I believe that the Anmer Hall will be their main residence until William to become the successor of his father. Now when this will happen; Only Elizabeth and god knows.

It's always been known that Kensington Palace will be the Cambridge's official residence until he's King. Anmer Hall is just their private country home, as Highgrove is Charles and Camilla's private country home.

As long as he is working/flying Anmer would seem to be the most convenient place anyway.

Duchess of Cambridge maintains her own country home a few miles from Highgrove allegedly.

I believe that the Anmer Hall will be their main residence until William to become the successor of his father. Now when this will happen; Only Elizabeth and god knows.

Its kind of interesting to think that once William becomes King, he probably will move into the big house at Sandringham and after years of living at Anmer, he becomes the owner of the property but doesn't live in it. Perhaps he'll pass both Anmer and Apt.1A down to George when he marries and begins starting his own family.

Looking at what may happen in the future makes me realize just how important it was to upgrade and repair and renovate the two properties that the Cambridges use. It reinforces the belief that they will still be there for future generations to come.

Cambridge Residences: Kensington Palace & Anmer Hall

It isn't a given that William and family stay at Amner post Charles's accession.

Right now it fits with the air ambulance job and Christmas. When William is DoC and named PoW, he is going to be pulled to engagements on the western side of the country.

Charles has the use of 4 residences. The Duchy of Cornwall income allows for multiple homes that his siblings don't have and probably can afford.

Amner could be rented out again or Harry could be given use of the house as a country home. The Queen owns it isn't in her interest or future owners Charles and William not to fix it up.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

:previous: I disagree. They would not have forced the tenant out/done the renovations had Dad not been on board with a long stay at Anmer.

Charles, more so than his brothers, I think, understands that having your beloved bolt hole is crucial to long-lived success/sanity as a royal public figure. Charles, more so than anyone else, understands they the heir needs to have their own private space. JMO.

I think the Cambridges will use Anmer for many years to come; until William inherits the entire Sandringham estate. Sandringham is relatively small for total family gatherings and it helps that William and his family don't have to be accommodated..assuming of course there is still a family gathering (I.e, Christmas) in Charles court.

I think the Cambridges will use Anmer for many years to come; until William inherits the entire Sandringham estate. Sandringham is relatively small for total family gatherings and it helps that William and his family don't have to be accommodated..assuming of course there is still a family gathering (I.e, Christmas) in Charles court.

I think the biggest blessing of living at Anmer around the holidays is that it makes it very easily possible for the Cambridge family to spend them with both sides of the family. Plenty of room to host a Middleton Christmas as well as down the road from a royal Christmas at Sandringham.

It seems highly unlikely that William would leave Anmer before he is king. I am sure that he and Kate would have as much use for so many homes as Charles currently does. What seems anomalous is that William was given use of a house at Sandringham, whereas Charles has always had to stay with his parents during Christmas holidays.

It seems highly unlikely that William would leave Anmer before he is king. I am sure that he and Kate would have as much use for so many homes as Charles currently does. What seems anomalous is that William was given use of a house at Sandringham, whereas Charles has always had to stay with his parents during Christmas holidays.

Perhaps a logical reason why Charles was never given a house around Sandringham is because he (or the Duchy of Cornwall rather) bought Highgrove in 1980 with the intent that it becomes Charles' to use as his country home. When he married in 1981, his situation was basically the same as Will and Kate's is now. An apartment at Kensington Palace and Highgrove as his country home.

Prince Charles already have several homes and the time spent at Sandringham is just a few days over christmas. The Sandringham estate will probably be his when the Queen and DofE are gone and he has already taken over the management of the estate from his father. Like most royals William and Catherine needed a country residence and Amner Hall will now be their for as long as they live.

I think it was done for the Middletons in a way. William made it pretty clear that Christmas was not going to be a strictly Windsor holiday. The house gives them a way of having everyone close by. Just another one of those little changes that some people say never happens with the monarchy. I think it's great.

But Charles has Highgrove as his country home so he has somewhere to spend most of his time in the country. William only has AH and not an estate of his own.

This seems a sensible decision as it would have been over-the-top to purchase another estate for the royal family at this time so they have reached a sensible compromise. William to live at AH until he is King and then move into the big house - or maybe not. If AH can handle his family and any visitors to the estate he wants he might stay there for the rest of his life and leave the big house as more a museum in the future.

William like his father will have the means to have multiple country homes when he is Duke of Cornwall. Amner hall fits now because it's relative close to London, solves the Christmas dilemma of which family to spent it with. However, the location of Highgrove which near the duchy of Cornwall and Wales which drew Charles to it will be appealing for William too. We could see WK and family occupying KP 1A, Amner, Highgrove and even Birkhall in time.

We could see WK and family occupying KP 1A, Amner, Highgrove and even Birkhall in time.

I agree. There is also the home is Wales, though that tends to be used by the Duchy on a regular basis, and only rarely by C&C currently.

However, the location of Highgrove which near the duchy of Cornwall and Wales which drew Charles to it will be appealing for William too.

IMO, the attraction of Highgrove had little to do with proximity to Cornwall. The Cotswolds, where it is located, is a lovely area, well suited for access to Windsor, London and the Midlands. A number of friends and family already lived in the area, including Princess Anne and the Parker-Bowles'.

I believe the royal family does change and has done so significantly over even H.M's reign and lots of people attempt to claim she is conservative with a small c. Lots of things have changed and modernization has taken place. P.W is in a bit of a strange position as he is the heir to the heir in a time unparalleled in the increase of social media and as his brother said, everyone has cameras on there phones nowadays, there is no such thing as privacy. I suspect part of Anmers attraction is it affords privacy and protection. It is also close to some of the Spencer family is it not?

I agree. There is also the home is Wales, though that tends to be used by the Duchy on a regular basis, and only rarely by C&C currently.

IMO, the attraction of Highgrove had little to do with proximity to Cornwall. The Cotswolds, where it is located, is a lovely area, well suited for access to Windsor, London and the Midlands. A number of friends and family already lived in the area, including Princess Anne and the Parker-Bowles'.

It's still closer to Cornwall and Wales than London is and Norfolk especially. William is friends with kids of Charles's friend and grew up at Highgrove. So Highgrove will be appealing to next Duke of Cornwall as it is to the current one.

It's still closer to Cornwall and Wales than London is and Norfolk especially. William is friends with kids of Charles's friend and grew up at Highgrove. So Highgrove will be appealing to next Duke of Cornwall as it is to the current one.

Am I the only one that highly doubt that Highgrove will be "on the market" even when Charles is on the throne. Isn't that place his baby and safe haven? I think that will still belong to Charles!

Back
Top Bottom