Wales Residences: Kensington Palace, Adelaide Cottage & Anmer Hall

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have heard nothing here in the UK about moles (neither furry ones nor the spying sort) at Amner Hall - is there a link anywhere?

Darn! I can't find any articles about the mole attacks either. Sun Lion, what is your source?

I have heard nothing here in the UK about moles (neither furry ones nor the spying sort) at Amner Hall - is there a link anywhere?

Jacknch: there were three headlines about ANMER MOLES under one of the royals stories that the DM ran on Sunday. They linked to nothing.

I've searched the DM for ANMER HALL and no moles. I did a general news search and no moles, but a bit about a mole in green wellies at from 2014: http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2014/01/William-kate-home-renovations ;)

I think the moles are a figment of undigested dinner. :whistling:

In the US - to get rid of moles, you need to get rid of the soil grubs on which they feed. Maybe we will see a grub expose! :eek:

Oh well, I just hope that the gardeners at Anmer Hall use deterrent methods if there are moles about.

I think I will take my chances in N. America with the bears and its other carnivores. They aren't usually waiting outside the door to kill me ?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I recently relocated to Juneau, AK and yes, there can and will be bears outside my door come the spring.

That being said...we do need to get back on topic.

Perhaps a nice thread about the beauty of Australia in the General Discussion forum:flowers:

Darn! I can't find any articles about the mole attacks either. Sun Lion, what is your source?

Just saw your post Roslyn.

The report is under "Girl About Town: Dad's old farmhouse? Bling it on, says Zara" by Charlotte Griffiths.

(This is about Zara's new home.)

Then the moles at Anmer Hall - a few lines in bold.

(Just before the bit about George and Amal Clooney.)

Are they likely to ever take on a third residence before he is Duke of Cornwall?

Are they likely to ever take on a third residence before he is Duke of Cornwall?

I think he has a small house at Balmoral, right?

I doubt they need more than what they have.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I would be surprised if they took up an additional residence on a full time basis. They probably still have use of a lodge up on the Balmoral estate, but if I am not mistaken, that is probably quite small and not suitable for a family.

Last edited:
Cambridge Residences: Kensington Palace & Anmer Hall

I don't think there is any reason to ... They have access to both balmoral and birkhall when they go to Scotland. And they don't seem to spend a great deal of time there to warrant a personal space.

Didn't William have a cottage called, in Gaelic, Tam-na-Ghar, which was located on the Balmoral estate, when he was a student at St Andrews? I think the Cambridges stay at either Birkhall or Balmoral these days when they are up in Scotland, which isn't very often, though I believe William sometimes goes up by himself to shoot with his father and brother.

Didn't William have a cottage called, in Gaelic, Tam-na-Ghar, which was located on the Balmoral estate, when he was a student at St Andrews? I think the Cambridges stay at either Birkhall or Balmoral these days when they are up in Scotland, which isn't very often, though I believe William sometimes goes up by himself to shoot with his father and brother.

He was, indeed, provided a small cottage by the Queen Mother. I do not know if it is still used by him, though I suspect he uses Birkhall now. There are also a number of other properties on the estate that can be used.

If it was on the Balmoral Estate why would the Queen Mother give it to William rather than the Queen?

The cottage was 3 bedroom and not very small.

If it was on the Balmoral Estate why would the Queen Mother give it to William rather than the Queen?

The cottage was 3 bedroom and not very small.

I would think that as it is part and parcel of the Balmoral estate, it already belonged to the Queen. William was just given the use of it as needed.

The Cambridges have gone to Scotland for at least the past 2 years. They were spotted on the plane to Aberdeen last fall after Kate's HG cleared and the 2013 Time magazine profile on Charles turning sixty mentions a pram at Birkhall for George plus there were photos of them using the Duke of Westminster's jet to go to Scotland.

If you scroll down past the pix of their former Wales rental house, this site has a pix of Tam-Na-Ghar
COTE DE TEXAS: ROYAL PALACES PART THREE

I suppose the Queen mother gave William (and I've read Harry as well) the use of the cottage for much the same reasons that she gave Charles Birkhall?

BTW - Skippyboo, did you mean to type that Charles turned 65 in 2013, rather than sixty?

Birkhall was the Queen Mother's home.

As far as I can tell, Tam-Na-Ghar is on the Balmoral Estate and not near or part of the Birkhall estate. My comment is why would the Queen Mother be the one passing out cottages for William and Harry. This would only make sense if Tam-Na-Ghar was on the Birkhall estate.

Last edited:
I believe it was The Queen who gave William Tam-Na-Ghar when he went to St Andrews so he had a 'get-away' space for weekends etc.

The Queen Mum didn't actually own Birkhall. It's part of the Balmoral estate. Plus when William started at St Andrews in the Fall 2001, the Queen Mum was 101 and died the next spring. So it's more likely the use of the cottage came from the Queen.

Supposing the Cambridges retain their two current dwellings when they are Duke and Duchess of Cornwall, and also gain Highgrove and possibly Birkhall, are they likely to retain Anmer as their main family home rather than Highgrove, as their children will have grown to know Norfolk.

Cambridge Residences: Kensington Palace & Anmer Hall

Their London home will be main base when William is heir apparent and the other houses would be used for the weekends or summer holiday. Sort of like how William and Harry grew up.

Supposing the Cambridges retain their two current dwellings when they are Duke and Duchess of Cornwall, and also gain Highgrove and possibly Birkhall, are they likely to retain Anmer as their main family home rather than Highgrove, as their children will have grown to know Norfolk.

I do not see the need to have two or more family (country) homes.

KP is suppose to be their primary family home. Now they also have Anmer House. They may acquire more houses before William become Duke of Cornwall.

A house in the Isle of Wight or near the English Channel so George can practice sailing.

A house in Wales much larger than Llwynwerwod so George can learn Welsh from an early age.

The north of the country cannot be ignored so a house in Durham or Newcastle is a must.

William will not wait until Birkhall is vacant. He will evict the Estate Factor and take over Baile-na-Coille.

After William becomes Duke of Cornwall, he will give George the properties currently used by Prince Charles.

Frankly I don't see the need to have more than 3 "homes". KP, Anmer and somewhere in Scotland. They can holiday everywhere else? Not like they're going to. George will learn sailing abroad I bet, if he does or at school perhaps.

I also agree that three homes is enough, a London one, a family home in the country and a holiday retreat in Scotland.

I'm not sure that William and Catherine will purchase/aquire any more homes right now. But when he is heir apparant he will take over Highgrove and the home in Wales, since they are owned by the Duchy. I believe that Birkhall will go to Harry since it is a private residence. William will keep Anmer for one of his children when they come of age. I also thnk that Harry will get one of the bigger residences at KP when the Kents or Gloucesters vacate. I also thnk that Charles will stay at Clarence house when he becomes King, simply because there are many renovations that need to be made, he may move in but it won't be for a long while.

Yes, I don't recommend Owen's method of controlling moles. They seem rather sweet to me. I wish I only had moles to contend with at my place instead of the Eastern Brown Snakes, and those rather nasty, very large and aggressive bulldog ants that inflict a very painful bite that hurts for days.

I await more news on the Anmer moles.

Moles are nasty little critters that are capable of destroying a lawn.

I think the best aspect of Anmer Hall is that it most likely is going to be a secure residence that will be passed on through the monarchy for as long as there is a monarch from the House of Windsor. Although the Sandringham (like Balmoral) estate is owned by the Queen personally and not tied into the Crown Estates, a lot of history surrounds the Sandringham estate itself. Diana, Princess of Wales grew up at Park House on the estate which is why it was mentioned so often that Princess Charlotte was christened at the same church that Diana was.

Although William and Kate live at Apt 1A at Kensington Palace and their country home at Anmer Hall, they actually do not own the properties but have the use of them. If things go as they are now, eventually William will own the Sandringham estate itself as the monarch.

Another historical fact that I find interesting about Sandringham is that when Edward VIII abdicated the throne and claimed to be broke, his brother George VI actually bought the Sandringham estate. I forget the exact details of this but I'm sure its available easily with our friend Google. :D

I think the best aspect of Anmer Hall is that it most likely is going to be a secure residence that will be passed on through the monarchy for as long as there is a monarch from the House of Windsor. Although the Sandringham (like Balmoral) estate is owned by the Queen personally and not tied into the Crown Estates, a lot of history surrounds the Sandringham estate itself. Diana, Princess of Wales grew up at Park House on the estate which is why it was mentioned so often that Princess Charlotte was christened at the same church that Diana was.

Although William and Kate live at Apt 1A at Kensington Palace and their country home at Anmer Hall, they actually do not own the properties but have the use of them. If things go as they are now, eventually William will own the Sandringham estate itself as the monarch.

Another historical fact that I find interesting about Sandringham is that when Edward VIII abdicated the throne and claimed to be broke, his brother George VI actually bought the Sandringham estate. I forget the exact details of this but I'm sure its available easily with our friend Google. :D

It's information like this I like. Thanks for posting. I did read up a little on Sandringham and Diana, but this is new to me that George VI bought it, I haven't researched it well enough I see, lol, I will have to look it up.

Kensington Palace, that one, I actually have to look up, as far as architecture I like Tyntesfield though and the way it looks. Kensington reminds me of like an old antique train car or the white house or something, first glance with complete ignorance, just looking at the pictures inside not knowing anything about it right off. At final glance it comes across like a real formal place with a heavy hint of make yourself at home with English politics and history with a schoolhouse look on the outside. Really quaint. For the price of admission, it probably brings quite a bit of joy to a lot of people. That's just so nice. Then all the field trips students must take to the place, booked banquets, it must stay pretty busy with all the things to learn and tours to take. That is great. Now I have a better idea how the Royals come across to the people. That is so precious. I see why the staff is so well appreciated and needed too. We read about how the royalty has a complete staff for everything, without much explanation, so it doesn't make a lot of sense at first. Well they live in a fully staffed palace, where people pay money to visit, to learn, to experience it, much like the White House but much different. Now it makes a lot more sense. Thank you for that, I wouldn't of ever heard about Kensington otherwise.

Now, for Sandringhum, I think of estate as something personal not open for public viewing and have only read a bit on location and how Diana lived close as a child. So the estate is kind of misleading to me at first. At first look it looks like a huge place of worship or like somewhere people might go to learn some sort of paid for college education or literally someone's private estate. Inside it is adorable, really decorated nice with so much culture and history, in such a way you do not forget it is someone's home. I really do like the way the place is decorated. There is no other place inside I have ever seen like that in terms of decoration. Personally for the price of admission I think it would be one worth visiting just to enjoy the way it is and I think the big thing is though one would leave with a serene understanding of the history really making a meaningful impact on one as meaningful and right at home. I see why now the Royals really seem like members of everyone's family, the Sandringhum is really like being invited inside to a personal residence and being part of the family. I had never seen the inside until now. No wonder England is so warm to it's Royals, they literally feel like family and loved and cared for by these Royals, and love it's history like it's a member of their family. That is priceless.

Back
Top Bottom