Wales Residences: Kensington Palace, Adelaide Cottage & Anmer Hall

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anmer Hall's previous occupants provide a history lesson for the Prince and Duchess | Royal | News | Daily Express
THE DUKE and Duchess of Cambridge are expected to move into Anmer Hall later this month before William joins the East Anglian Air Ambulance Service.
But what is the story behind the Georgian country house in Norfolk, which is part of the Queen's Sandringham estate?
Among those who have lived there was one of the Duchess of Cornwall's ancestors as well as the Queen's cousin, Prince Charles's university pal and a few military heroes…

Last edited:
Comments on the Anmer story:
Edward & Alexandra were married in 1863 not 1862.
The 6th Earl of Albermarle was Camilla's 3rd GG not 2nd GG.
Maria Keppel was not an ancestor of Camilla just a distant relative.

Another of the previous occupants has links to Camilla's family.
Allan Adair and his wife Enid were old friends of Sonia, Camilla's grandmother.

I was wondering who will live at Anmer Hall if William were to become king while George is still relatively young? If William and Kate then moved to Sandringham House, they would probably continue to maintain AH as a residence for another member of the family.

I was wondering who will live at Anmer Hall if William were to become king while George is still relatively young? If William and Kate then moved to Sandringham House, they would probably continue to maintain AH as a residence for another member of the family.

As Anmer Hall is on the Sandringham estate, it will still be William's and its anyone guess what would happen if/when he becomes King. Up until the Cambridges took it over as a residence, it housed both families and businesses.

Cambridge Residences: Kensington Palace & Anmer Hall

The Kents and the Van Custems lived there previously. There really wouldn't be a pressing need for George to use it. He would be Duke of Cornwall and Highgrove is part of the Duchy. Amner would just be rent out as it was before.

The odds that William would become King with George young are not that high.He isn't even the heir yet and there isn't a reason while Charles who is fit and doesn't have unhealthy habits not to live 20 plus more years which still wouldn't put him as old as his parents are now.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

If no close member of the Wales family had a use for it, the property would be rented out, as it has been for most of its history.

The odds that William would become King with George young are not that high.He isn't even the heir yet and there isn't a reason while Charles who is fit and doesn't have unhealthy habits not to live 20 plus more years which still wouldn't put him as old as his parents are now.

I wouldn't say that is unlikely for Charles to die before he is 85.

I still wonder why the Cambridges were given the privilege of a Sandringham residence, yet his father never did.

I think there are some major differences in how Charles is handling things with his children as compared to the Queen and her children....I figure the residences fall into that category as well.

LaRae

I wouldn't say that is unlikely for Charles to die before he is 85.

I still wonder why the Cambridges were given the privilege of a Sandringham residence, yet his father never did.

My guess would be that because Charles has the Duchy of Cornwall and Highgrove (owned by the Duchy of Cornwall). He never needed or wanted an estate at Sandringham.

Last edited:
I think Anmer Hall will stay a royal residence.

Maybe Charles doesn't like the Sandringham area as much as other places. He has Highgrove bought by the Duchy premarriage to Diana, a house in Wales also owned by the Duchy and Birkhall part of the Queen's Balmoral estate given for his use.

The Queen gave country homes to all of her other children after their marriages, which makes sense to skip Charles since he has the Duchy income that the others don't.

Also William and Kate using Amner keeps them at Sandringham for Christmas since her family can come and stay with them during the holiday.

Yes, with all the upgrades, especially security-wise, that makes sense for the foreseeable future.

It's also something to pass down to George or his soon to be sister/brother.

As has been pointed out, all the Queen's children were provided with a country residence. Prince Charles had Highgrove since 1980, a home he has loved, and considers, along with CH, as his principal residence.

Further, William is meant to be very keen of shooting, and spends a reasonable amount of time on the estate. He also has a number of friends in the area. It is possible the Queen may have offered William a choice of properties (at Sandringham, Windsor or elsewhere) and he chose Sandringham. Also, the situation is further simplified as William, like Charles, will eventually own the Sandringham estate.

The point is when the family joins the Queen for Christmas at Sandringham, William will have a private 10 bedroom house while his father has to share a house with his parents.

Highgrove is not geographically useful during Christmas.

Should Charles have his own separate residence beside each of the Queen's residences? Talk about excess.

I have no doubt that as PoW, Charles gets the grandest suite at Sandringham. Plus, in the not-too-distant future he will, of course, get Sandringham itself.

The point is when the family joins the Queen for Christmas at Sandringham, William will have a private 10 bedroom house while his father has to share a house with his parents.

If Charles felt that was an issue, it would have been addressed at some stage!

Perhaps when Charles is King, he will spend Christmas at Highgrove. :)

Perhaps when Charles is King, he will spend Christmas at Highgrove. :)

... especially as Highgrove may not be his home then! :flowers:

:lol: Well spotted. And don't I feel silly.

It will be interesting to see where C&C spend Christmas once he is King. Sandringham or Windsor maybe an option, and easy for the rest of the family to get to.

That said, as of now, they always head to Birkhall for Hogmanay. Will they continue to move court north of the border so soon after Christmas, or will they spend the holiday in one place?

What Charles does with these private homes may come down simply to economic rationalisation when he comes to the throne, especially with the new mansions tax the Labour Party intends to introduce in government.

In a way, William and Kate having a country house at Sandringham is a sort of 'back to the future' move, as the Duke and Duchess of York (the future King George and Queen Mary) brought up a family for years at York Cottage on the Sandringham estate. The Duke was really happy there as, like William, he was an enthusiastic shooter. So, in a way, it's becoming a tradition for the heir to the heir.

Slightly off-topic but relevant to some posts above, I think it quite possible that Charles will wish to keep Highgrove even when he is king since he has spent so much time and effort into the place over all these years.

Slightly off-topic but relevant to some posts above, I think it quite possible that Charles will wish to keep Highgrove even when he is king since he has spent so much time and effort into the place over all these years.

Fair, though he will need to rationalise how many homes he retains. Windsor is too closely associated with the monarchy, so he will need to use it. Highgrove is not too far.

Won't Highgrove go to William when he becomes Duke of Cornwall?

Charles doesn't actually own Highgrove or the house in Wales they are part of the Duchy of Cornwall. If he wants to use it after he is King, needs permission of the new Duke which is William. On Charles is King, he will have Sandringham, Balmoral and the Windsor Great Park to tinker with if he is in the mood to tinker.

Many, many times in the past I've heard the story about how at Balmoral guests are told "We don't sit there. That's Queen Victoria's chair". Now flash forward half a century and picture George and his wee one walking in the gardens of Highgrove. 'We don't tease the squirrels nor stomp on the flower beds. Those are great grandpa's friends".

No matter who lives at Highgrove in the future, I think it will always be associated with Charles.

Charles doesn't actually own Highgrove or the house in Wales they are part of the Duchy of Cornwall. If he wants to use it after he is King, needs permission of the new Duke which is William. On Charles is King, he will have Sandringham, Balmoral and the Windsor Great Park to tinker with if he is in the mood to tinker.

I can see Charles occupying BP, Windsor, Sandringham and Balmoral when he is King.

William will stay at KP 1A, Anmer, and also be getting Highgrove and Birkhall.

Clarence House will most likely become vacant.

Last edited:
I can see Charles occupying BP, Windsor, Sandringham and Balmoral when he is King.

William will stay at KP 1A, Anmer, and also getting Birkhall.

Clarence House will most likely become vacant.

Or possibly be a London base for Harry and his family. Would kind of be fitting if, when he married, he was created The Duke of Clarence eh? Clarence House also could be designated as a venue for any royal meetings, luncheons and functions too.

With the economics what they are, I don't see any of them really playing musical manors any more than is necessary.

Back
Top Bottom