Wales Residences: Kensington Palace, Adelaide Cottage & Anmer Hall

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I object against the use of WAG (=wives and girlfriends) which is a derogatory term, no matter for whom it is used. A newspaper using these terms is already low in my esteem.

The Daily Mail really has a vitriolic undertone, painting Prince Harry as a binge-drinking, celebbie-surrounding, ever-partying royal. Or Catherine as a taxpayer-swallowing by accident upgraded middle-class commoner.

The only good thing of the DM is their often extensive use of great pictures. But for the rest... :sad:

Personally, I have absolutely no problem with William and Catherine spending whatever they fancy on their home. It is a privately owned property, and no state funding is being used. The more they spend, the more employment and economic activity they generate, which can only be a good thing for the UK.

Nothing set out in the DM article seems particularly ostentatious or "WAG"- like to me. There are no shots of the interiors, so we have no idea how flashy it is. My sense is that as Anmer is unlikely to have a "public" role, it will probably be done up in quite a relaxed fashion, reflecting the modern lives they live.

I echo you views, Muriel. They are as entitled [ as everyone is ] to fit out their home as they see fit..

I hope it is done with good taste, an example being Victoria and Daniels residence, at Haga.

Personally, I have absolutely no problem with William and Catherine spending whatever they fancy on their home. It is a privately owned property, and no state funding is being used. The more they spend, the more employment and economic activity they generate, which can only be a good thing for the UK.

Nothing set out in the DM article seems particularly ostentatious or "WAG"- like to me. There are no shots of the interiors, so we have no idea how flashy it is. My sense is that as Anmer is unlikely to have a "public" role, it will probably be done up in quite a relaxed fashion, reflecting the modern lives they live.

Very well stated and I agree with you completely.

I also am happy that they are doing all these repairs to Anmer Hall. Not only is it for the purposes of a country life for the Cambridge family but also preserve an estate that has been notable since the early 1800s.

It occurs to me that we like seeing historic homes preserved; we just resent when people have the money to do it. ;)

I don't resent it in the least..

There will always be people richer,more intelligent, better looking or more talented than ourselves, just as there will always be people with less than ourselves. It is the 'way of the world', always was and ever shall be...

I for one am trilled when I read that an estate or grade I or II listed home is actually used for a private residence. These were built for families to live in. If I ever win the lottery, you can bet I'll be purchasing a country house that still has those older characteristics.

Its interesting that there has been no confirmation that the Cambridge's are taking on Anmer Hall. Its also interesting that they are taking on a property in Norfolk, and not the more traditional areas in the Cotswolds or the West Country where their parents live.

Does not the Queen own the entire Sandringham estate? What is the story behind the Cambridges having this house? Is HM lending them the house?If the house needed so much work (not counting the new dining room), I'm glad WillKat are moving in. It is a lovely place and if not lived in, will just go to ruin. Glad they (and their staff) will be adding some life to the old pile.

Last edited:
Does not the Queen own the entire Sandringham estate? What is the story behind the Cambridges having this house? Is HM lending them the house?If the house needed so much work (not counting the new dining room), I'm glad WillKat are moving in. It is a lovely place and if not lived in, will just go to ruin. Glad they (and their staff) will be adding some life to the old pile.

Indeed, the Queen does own the whole Sandringham estate privately.

My understanding is that the press picked up on the fact that the local council had approved certain renovations and building works at Anmer. Details of the proposed changes were not available for public viewing because of security issues, suggesting that a member of the BRF was planning to use the property.

This tied in with some previous stories in the press that the Queen had presented William with a home on the Sandringham estate. Nothing has been confirmed by the royal household, and I suspect they are unlikely to, as it is a private matter.

@KittyAtlanta: I'm not sure the house needed that much work. The house was inhabited, the Queen asked the current tenants to leave. In any case, it's nice that these places get some new life from time to time.

@muriel: the location is indeed interesting, since most of their friends seem to be living in either the Costwolds or the West Country. I think the primary reason why Anmer was chosen is that it solves the Christmas problem, when, on one hand, they were expected to be with the royal family but, on the other hand, Kate wanted to be with her family where she can have a more relaxed time. A house in Sandringham estate allows them to be with the royals and still host the Middletons there.

I think this location is the best of both worlds and certainly solves the holiday dilemma. The roof had to be replaced last year and the couple is probably customizing the interior to their own taste.

Last edited:
I am actually surprised the Queen let them have the use of such a big house, the loss of rent the house would have otherwise attracted would have been substantial.

I am actually surprised the Queen let them have the use of such a big house, the loss of rent the house would have otherwise attracted would have been substantial.

Why? It's a house totally fitting for their status as senior royals- a much bigger consideration than lost rent

The house is paid for and HM owns it. Her family can use it. Makes sense to me.

I love how the Daily Mail uses pictures from the state areas of the palace (which are open to the public year round) to reinforce the hatred.

I noticed that too. I think the intent of that was to convince those that have no clue that there are other areas of KP besides Apt. 1A that are used for other various reasons that this is the elegance and extravagance that will be the Cambridge's apartment. Never mind that Wills and Kate are paying personally for just about everything that goes into the apartment. The taxpayers are paying for the repairs to the structure but lets not tell them that part. Wouldn't serve the purpose of inciting the public.

Should KP or any of the nation's historical building fall into such a state of disrepair that they are cited as being condemned or unsafe and had to be demolished, there'd be a big hue and cry that no one took care of them and their history is literally going down the drain.

I have no problem with the amount spent on KP, however I do question how this money is found despite a £40m backlog in palace repairs.

I suspect it is highly likely that the Cambridges will also take control of Birkhall when he is Duke of Cornwall.

I suspect it is highly likely that the Cambridges will also take control of Birkhall when he is Duke of Cornwall.

I think it is highly likely too but Charles just might surprise us. :)

KP is a royal palace and it obviously needed major work to keep it from further deterioration.

:previous: And Apartment 1A was last renovated in the early 1960's for Princess Margaret and Lord Snowden. I think most ordinary householders have re-roofed, removed the asbestoes, rewired and replumbed their homes at least once within that time frame. And if they haven't they are considered dodgy to live in.

Continuing the ongoing restoration of Kensington Palace is a fact of life. It was being undertaken way before William's engagement let alone marriage. It is an onging work and merely gained media and political interest once it was announced the Cambridges would move Apartment 1A once renovation of the former office and storage space.

Kensington Palace is worth the upkeep and renovation for reasons outside of being a royal residence. It was designed by Christopher Wren who was one of most notable British architects in history. After the Great Fire, he was instrumental in the rebuilding of many of the structures including St. Paul's Cathedral and Westminster Abbey.

The money put into KP is well worth it for this reason alone I believe.

Plus being a historical building, it would add to the cost because the expertise needed to preserve the outside historical features.

Also without the official numbers from the spending report, we don't know if the 4 million number is accurate. If you look at the helicopter stories, it gives the impression that the queen bought William a 8 mil helicopter but that isn't true. They leased a helicopter for use of the whole family and the lease cost is not going to be anywhere need the purchase price of 8 million.

I think it was rather silly of the press to lump William & Catherine with the total restoration of Kensington Palace. We already knew that their own private residence would be renovated. The other parts of Kensington Palace have nothing to do with the Cambridge's renovations. They are two separated situations and I think lumping the two stories together is what got some people bent out of shape.

Back
Top Bottom