The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal Residences

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Aristocracy

Kensington Palace confirmed London Home

I read on people.com that they are moving in June July to London's Kensington Palace into a 2 bedroom apartment. They said it is temporary but allows them to have a London base. They will still have offices out of St. James.
Nice to see that they will have a proper London home so they don't have to stay with the in-laws.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Commoner

Why would they need a London home? isn't William a full time RAF pilot at Wales?

Old 06-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Aristocracy

So they don't have to stay with Will's parents or in hotels for all the events they attend in London. He has several days off between RAF shifts too, right?
Old 06-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberivs View Post
Why would they need a London home? isn't William a full time RAF pilot at Wales?
He is. But other than most people who have only one job, he has a second one as well which is being Royal. So he has to be present at several official occasions and works for several charities in a leading funtion. Which includes office time as well as meetings and representation at events. Thus he has a London office and needs a place to stay when in London for his second job. Thus far he lives with Catherine in his bachelor quarters which he shares with Harry at their father's home. So now it's time to move out! Newlyweds need their own breathing space if they can afford it. And William can.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Aristocracy

I agree I think that they need a London home to be away from the in-laws. Plus when I think about him being away for long streches I imagine it must be nice for Kate to stay in London near her family and friends. A 2 bedroom apartment even if it is in a Palace sounds just about right for a newlywed couple. Worked for me and my husband ;-)
I do think that she will start to take on more charity work and we might not see it all up front. She has to be doing something besides picking out a wardrobe for the Canada/USA tour right? I think that they are making wise choices in these difficult economic times and as newlyweds. They are a great pair!
Old 06-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Prince William and Kate Middleton to move into Kensington Palace 'starter home' | Mail Online
Old 06-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Royal Highness

From that article:

A spokesman for the prince’s office at St James’s Palace said: ‘They will move in at some point in June or July. A number of options for longer term solutions are still being considered.’

I guess one of the options is to simply wait till Charles and Camilla take over BP and to move into Clarence House as the new Prince and Princess of Wales.
That would be the easiest thing . But of course they are checking into alternatives for the case that HM lives to see her 100th year. Sad thought that the moment a queen is crowned, plans are already in place for her funeral... May she live long!
Old 06-06-2011, 06:42 PM
Aristocracy

They have all of these 'Houses' and Palaces and all they can come up with is a lousy 2 bedroom apartment that used to be office space that has to be converted back to living space... ... really??? that sucks...

I'm just a poor dumb hick in the U.S. and I've got more living space than that....

ok.. I'm not a poor dumb hick.. but I thought it was funny...
Old 06-07-2011, 04:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have a new base in London - Telegraph

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have a new base in London

As starter homes go, Kensington Palace is in a respectable postcode for the royal newlyweds, says Iain Hollingshead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetiger View Post
They have all of these 'Houses' and Palaces and all they can come up with is a lousy 2 bedroom apartment that used to be office space that has to be converted back to living space... ... really??? that sucks...

I'm just a poor dumb hick in the U.S. and I've got more living space than that....

ok.. I'm not a poor dumb hick.. but I thought it was funny...
A lot of the other space in the Palaces is being used. This is not a long term solution, and I am sure in time, the Cambridge's will get better accomodation at one of the royal homes in London.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:59 AM
Royal Highness

There is that infamous roof garden above apartments 8&9. IIRC the entrance is close to William and Harry's former nursery. As the apartments are not used as residence at the moment but as office space, I guess nobody is using this garden at the moment (you can see it on the roof above ap. 8&9 on google maps - the apartments are in the north wing, left (west) side) of the building.

So I hope that William and Catherine can use it and enjoy their own little garden in the city.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Probably sooner rather than later, William and Kate will have to be in London much of the time.

Once he finishes his tour of duty in Wales, they'll need something more than a tiny apartment. The RF should decide whether they want KP to be a private home or a museum, because with all this talk of expanding, I wonder where they plan to put some of the Royals?
Old 06-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Aristocracy

They just said on people.com that they are going to have a cleaning person/dresser...but the dresser will not help picking out or buying items for Kate but more a Valet. I think it sounds like a personal assistant who is going to help you tidy up. I like that they are going to have a home without all the bells and whistles of the Palace and Domestic Staff. Where can I apply LOL
The more I read about this couple the more I like them. I can't help but think Diana would be thrilled at how well he turned out. I hope they do get to use that garden deck that would be a nice treat to get outside in London!
Old 06-22-2011, 06:06 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

This place sparked my interest when I was looking at British Royal Residences.
Cambridge House - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-22-2011, 06:56 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
This place sparked my interest when I was looking at British Royal Residences.
Cambridge House - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Interesting. Thank you for the link, LQ!

Here is what I found in addition to the place, which seems to be better known as the
Naval and Military Club in PIccadilly.

From: The crumbling empire of a £2 billion property tycoon | News

Officials in Westminster have been thinking the same thing about the former Naval and Military Club on Piccadilly. This Grade I listed building is known affectionately as the In and Out Club because of the prominent signs on the entrance and exit. The club moved to new premises in 1996 and sold the house to Halabi's company.
Among London houses, the late Palladian mansion is considered a gem. It is the former home of Lord Palmerston, one of Queen Victoria's most celebrated prime ministers, and its location at 94 Piccadilly, overlooking Green Park and Buckingham Palace, gives it a very special status.
Halabi wanted to turn it into a luxury hotel that would rank with anything in the world. He has planning permission to do precisely that but nothing seems to be happening, apart from a bit of demolition at the rear.
The only use to which Palmerston's old home is currently being put is as a handy place to park Halabi's cars. When he is in his nearby office, his Range Rover, or his black Hummer, with their distinctive BSH number plates (his first name, which he rarely uses, is Bassam), are often parked in the In and Out driveway. Since Halabi paid £50 million for the house, it is probably London's most expensive parking spot."

That was in 2007. By 2009 Halabi put the estate (it includes more than Cambridge House) up for Sale. It is still on offer. Here's the link to the estate brochure including pics from the inside and floor plans. Somehow I don't see it's practical for the Duchy of Cornwall to buy that estate but then...

http://residential.joneslanglasalle....20Brochure.pdf

Enjoy!
Old 06-22-2011, 06:57 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Wouldn't it be lovely though if they bought the place, did it up and made it their homme. Cambridges living in Cambridge House.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:31 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Wouldn't it be lovely though if they bought the place, did it up and made it their homme. Cambridges living in Cambridge House.

I think it would be poetic symmetry. If that comment made any sense.
too bad it probably will never happen.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Agreed. I imagine that William (and/or the Queen/Prince Charles) would have to buy the property and fix it with their personal incomes. There would be an outcry if public funds were used. Actually, there would an issue even if private funds were used to be honest.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:50 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Agreed. I imagine that William (and/or the Queen/Prince Charles) would have to buy the property and fix it with their personal incomes. There would be an outcry if public funds were used. Actually, there would an issue even if private funds were used to be honest.
I looked the floor plans and the streets up (the latter by Street View) and found that apart from the main house most rooms are quite dark and are probably in dire need of modernization (judging from the street facade in White Horse Street). At least I personally don't want to know how the loos look like.... When even a billionaire investor didn't think during the boom years that it was worth investing in the property in order to turn it into a hotel or appartments, then I don't see how it would ever be an financially interesting asset to the Duchy of Cornwall.

Especially for William and Catherine who have no need for a lot of office space as they have the use of the Royal Palaces for their staff and of course don't need that much living space. But the House and the courtyard in the back is nice, though.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Aristocracy

Kataryn, where did you find the floor plans?

Old 06-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphoenyx View Post
Kataryn, where did you find the floor plans?
the link for the brochure pdf. If you download it... it shows the floor layout and several pictures.