Wales Residences: Kensington Palace, Adelaide Cottage & Anmer Hall

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So glad that no one knows for sure where they live, it adds a bit is mystery, not to mention privacy for them. I applaud that they are staying in Angelsey and living a "normal" married life, this says so much about their character. Much like the Queen & Duke of Edinburgh when they were first married. Wonderful decision on their part.

I have a 1,500 sq. ft. dwelling and I've had 30 people over at one time. Not for overnight, but 30 people nonetheless.

If it is 3-4 bedrooms, it has to be more than 1,500 sq. ft. (457 sq.m.).

I have a 1,500 sq. ft. dwelling and I've had 30 people over at one time. Not for overnight, but 30 people nonetheless.

If it is 3-4 bedrooms, it has to be more than 1,500 sq. ft. (457 sq.m.).

1,500 sq ft is actually closer to 140 sq m. You often find 1,500 sq ft homes in the UK with 3-4 bedrooms.

:previous:Those converters are unreliable. I lived in a 2 up, 2 down terraced long, long ago and it was larger than my current home. I'm sure what they have is suitable for them, as they like it.

according to that article it looks as though there is little to be had in the area. Somehow that strikes me as weird. You'd think there would be more room for everyone. I guess there are a lot of royals ... or the space is being used up for museums.

It strikes me as weird as well. But I guess they will have to keep searching. I wonder if this "small" apartment is small by us regular folks' standards.:lol:

Won't they get Clarence House once Charles succeeds to the throne?
I thought that is always the London residence for the heir.

Queen Mum lived in Clarence House - Charles moved in after her death.

QEII could well live another 10 or 15 Years .. till then the Cambridges will hopefully have lots of children.

Queen Mum lived in Clarence House - Charles moved in after her death.

QEII could well live another 10 or 15 Years .. till then the Cambridges will hopefully have lots of children.

From the article I assume they will be there until a baby come, then they would fell the need for another place. I wonder when will that be.....:whistling: :)

Kensington Palace confirmed London Home

I read on people.com that they are moving in June July to London's Kensington Palace into a 2 bedroom apartment. They said it is temporary but allows them to have a London base. They will still have offices out of St. James.
Nice to see that they will have a proper London home so they don't have to stay with the in-laws. :ROFLMAO:

Why would they need a London home? isn't William a full time RAF pilot at Wales?

So they don't have to stay with Will's parents or in hotels for all the events they attend in London. He has several days off between RAF shifts too, right?

Why would they need a London home? isn't William a full time RAF pilot at Wales?

He is. But other than most people who have only one job, he has a second one as well which is being Royal. So he has to be present at several official occasions and works for several charities in a leading funtion. Which includes office time as well as meetings and representation at events. Thus he has a London office and needs a place to stay when in London for his second job. Thus far he lives with Catherine in his bachelor quarters which he shares with Harry at their father's home. So now it's time to move out! Newlyweds need their own breathing space if they can afford it. And William can.

I agree I think that they need a London home to be away from the in-laws. Plus when I think about him being away for long streches I imagine it must be nice for Kate to stay in London near her family and friends. A 2 bedroom apartment even if it is in a Palace sounds just about right for a newlywed couple. Worked for me and my husband ;-)
I do think that she will start to take on more charity work and we might not see it all up front. She has to be doing something besides picking out a wardrobe for the Canada/USA tour right? I think that they are making wise choices in these difficult economic times and as newlyweds. They are a great pair!

From that article:

A spokesman for the prince’s office at St James’s Palace said: ‘They will move in at some point in June or July. A number of options for longer term solutions are still being considered.’

I guess one of the options is to simply wait till Charles and Camilla take over BP and to move into Clarence House as the new Prince and Princess of Wales.
That would be the easiest thing . But of course they are checking into alternatives for the case that HM lives to see her 100th year. Sad thought that the moment a queen is crowned, plans are already in place for her funeral... May she live long!

They have all of these 'Houses' and Palaces and all they can come up with is a lousy 2 bedroom apartment that used to be office space that has to be converted back to living space... :ermm: ... really??? that sucks...

I'm just a poor dumb hick in the U.S. and I've got more living space than that.... :ROFLMAO:

ok.. I'm not a poor dumb hick.. but I thought it was funny... :D

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have a new base in London - Telegraph

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have a new base in London

As starter homes go, Kensington Palace is in a respectable postcode for the royal newlyweds, says Iain Hollingshead.

They have all of these 'Houses' and Palaces and all they can come up with is a lousy 2 bedroom apartment that used to be office space that has to be converted back to living space... :ermm: ... really??? that sucks...

I'm just a poor dumb hick in the U.S. and I've got more living space than that.... :ROFLMAO:

ok.. I'm not a poor dumb hick.. but I thought it was funny... :D

A lot of the other space in the Palaces is being used. This is not a long term solution, and I am sure in time, the Cambridge's will get better accomodation at one of the royal homes in London.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is that infamous roof garden above apartments 8&9. IIRC the entrance is close to William and Harry's former nursery. As the apartments are not used as residence at the moment but as office space, I guess nobody is using this garden at the moment (you can see it on the roof above ap. 8&9 on google maps - the apartments are in the north wing, left (west) side) of the building.

So I hope that William and Catherine can use it and enjoy their own little garden in the city.

Probably sooner rather than later, William and Kate will have to be in London much of the time.

Once he finishes his tour of duty in Wales, they'll need something more than a tiny apartment. The RF should decide whether they want KP to be a private home or a museum, because with all this talk of expanding, I wonder where they plan to put some of the Royals?

They just said on people.com that they are going to have a cleaning person/dresser...but the dresser will not help picking out or buying items for Kate but more a Valet. I think it sounds like a personal assistant who is going to help you tidy up. I like that they are going to have a home without all the bells and whistles of the Palace and Domestic Staff. Where can I apply LOL
The more I read about this couple the more I like them. I can't help but think Diana would be thrilled at how well he turned out. I hope they do get to use that garden deck that would be a nice treat to get outside in London!

This place sparked my interest when I was looking at British Royal Residences.
Cambridge House - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting. Thank you for the link, LQ! :flowers:

Here is what I found in addition to the place, which seems to be better known as the
Naval and Military Club in PIccadilly.

From: The crumbling empire of a £2 billion property tycoon | News

Officials in Westminster have been thinking the same thing about the former Naval and Military Club on Piccadilly. This Grade I listed building is known affectionately as the In and Out Club because of the prominent signs on the entrance and exit. The club moved to new premises in 1996 and sold the house to Halabi's company.
Among London houses, the late Palladian mansion is considered a gem. It is the former home of Lord Palmerston, one of Queen Victoria's most celebrated prime ministers, and its location at 94 Piccadilly, overlooking Green Park and Buckingham Palace, gives it a very special status.
Halabi wanted to turn it into a luxury hotel that would rank with anything in the world. He has planning permission to do precisely that but nothing seems to be happening, apart from a bit of demolition at the rear.
The only use to which Palmerston's old home is currently being put is as a handy place to park Halabi's cars. When he is in his nearby office, his Range Rover, or his black Hummer, with their distinctive BSH number plates (his first name, which he rarely uses, is Bassam), are often parked in the In and Out driveway. Since Halabi paid £50 million for the house, it is probably London's most expensive parking spot."

That was in 2007. By 2009 Halabi put the estate (it includes more than Cambridge House) up for Sale. It is still on offer. Here's the link to the estate brochure including pics from the inside and floor plans. Somehow I don't see it's practical for the Duchy of Cornwall to buy that estate but then...

http://residential.joneslanglasalle.co.uk/pdf/sales/Piccadilly Estate Brochure.pdf

Enjoy! :flowers:

Wouldn't it be lovely though if they bought the place, did it up and made it their homme. Cambridges living in Cambridge House.

Wouldn't it be lovely though if they bought the place, did it up and made it their homme. Cambridges living in Cambridge House.

I think it would be poetic symmetry. If that comment made any sense.
too bad it probably will never happen.

Agreed. I imagine that William (and/or the Queen/Prince Charles) would have to buy the property and fix it with their personal incomes. There would be an outcry if public funds were used. Actually, there would an issue even if private funds were used to be honest.

Agreed. I imagine that William (and/or the Queen/Prince Charles) would have to buy the property and fix it with their personal incomes. There would be an outcry if public funds were used. Actually, there would an issue even if private funds were used to be honest.

I looked the floor plans and the streets up (the latter by Street View) and found that apart from the main house most rooms are quite dark and are probably in dire need of modernization (judging from the street facade in White Horse Street). At least I personally don't want to know how the loos look like.... When even a billionaire investor didn't think during the boom years that it was worth investing in the property in order to turn it into a hotel or appartments, then I don't see how it would ever be an financially interesting asset to the Duchy of Cornwall.

Especially for William and Catherine who have no need for a lot of office space as they have the use of the Royal Palaces for their staff and of course don't need that much living space. But the House and the courtyard in the back is nice, though.

Kataryn, where did you find the floor plans?

Back
Top Bottom