The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal Residences

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-14-2015, 05:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Do you mean Cornwall?
Apologies yes I did mean Cornwall. Thank you for pointing that out.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:08 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
It seems highly unlikely that William would leave Anmer before he is king. I am sure that he and Kate would have as much use for so many homes as Charles currently does. What seems anomalous is that William was given use of a house at Sandringham, whereas Charles has always had to stay with his parents during Christmas holidays.
Perhaps a logical reason why Charles was never given a house around Sandringham is because he (or the Duchy of Cornwall rather) bought Highgrove in 1980 with the intent that it becomes Charles' to use as his country home. When he married in 1981, his situation was basically the same as Will and Kate's is now. An apartment at Kensington Palace and Highgrove as his country home.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-14-2015, 05:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
It seems highly unlikely that William would leave Anmer before he is king. I am sure that he and Kate would have as much use for so many homes as Charles currently does. What seems anomalous is that William was given use of a house at Sandringham, whereas Charles has always had to stay with his parents during Christmas holidays.
Prince Charles already have several homes and the time spent at Sandringham is just a few days over christmas. The Sandringham estate will probably be his when the Queen and DofE are gone and he has already taken over the management of the estate from his father. Like most royals William and Catherine needed a country residence and Amner Hall will now be their for as long as they live.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:34 PM
Courtier

I think it was done for the Middletons in a way. William made it pretty clear that Christmas was not going to be a strictly Windsor holiday. The house gives them a way of having everyone close by. Just another one of those little changes that some people say never happens with the monarchy. I think it's great.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

But Charles has Highgrove as his country home so he has somewhere to spend most of his time in the country. William only has AH and not an estate of his own.

This seems a sensible decision as it would have been over-the-top to purchase another estate for the royal family at this time so they have reached a sensible compromise. William to live at AH until he is King and then move into the big house - or maybe not. If AH can handle his family and any visitors to the estate he wants he might stay there for the rest of his life and leave the big house as more a museum in the future.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:13 PM
Heir Apparent

William like his father will have the means to have multiple country homes when he is Duke of Cornwall. Amner hall fits now because it's relative close to London, solves the Christmas dilemma of which family to spent it with. However, the location of Highgrove which near the duchy of Cornwall and Wales which drew Charles to it will be appealing for William too. We could see WK and family occupying KP 1A, Amner, Highgrove and even Birkhall in time.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 09-15-2015, 05:51 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
We could see WK and family occupying KP 1A, Amner, Highgrove and even Birkhall in time.
I agree. There is also the home is Wales, though that tends to be used by the Duchy on a regular basis, and only rarely by C&C currently.

Quote:
However, the location of Highgrove which near the duchy of Cornwall and Wales which drew Charles to it will be appealing for William too.
IMO, the attraction of Highgrove had little to do with proximity to Cornwall. The Cotswolds, where it is located, is a lovely area, well suited for access to Windsor, London and the Midlands. A number of friends and family already lived in the area, including Princess Anne and the Parker-Bowles'.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:09 AM
Courtier

I believe the royal family does change and has done so significantly over even H.M's reign and lots of people attempt to claim she is conservative with a small c. Lots of things have changed and modernization has taken place. P.W is in a bit of a strange position as he is the heir to the heir in a time unparalleled in the increase of social media and as his brother said, everyone has cameras on there phones nowadays, there is no such thing as privacy. I suspect part of Anmers attraction is it affords privacy and protection. It is also close to some of the Spencer family is it not?
Old 09-15-2015, 08:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I agree. There is also the home is Wales, though that tends to be used by the Duchy on a regular basis, and only rarely by C&C currently.

IMO, the attraction of Highgrove had little to do with proximity to Cornwall. The Cotswolds, where it is located, is a lovely area, well suited for access to Windsor, London and the Midlands. A number of friends and family already lived in the area, including Princess Anne and the Parker-Bowles'.

It's still closer to Cornwall and Wales than London is and Norfolk especially. William is friends with kids of Charles's friend and grew up at Highgrove. So Highgrove will be appealing to next Duke of Cornwall as it is to the current one.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:19 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
It's still closer to Cornwall and Wales than London is and Norfolk especially. William is friends with kids of Charles's friend and grew up at Highgrove. So Highgrove will be appealing to next Duke of Cornwall as it is to the current one.

Am I the only one that highly doubt that Highgrove will be "on the market" even when Charles is on the throne. Isn't that place his baby and safe haven? I think that will still belong to Charles!
Old 09-15-2015, 08:46 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Am I the only one that highly doubt that Highgrove will be "on the market" even when Charles is on the throne. Isn't that place his baby and safe haven? I think that will still belong to Charles!
Highgrove belongs to the Duchy of Cornwall. The scenario that makes sense to me is that perhaps when Charles becomes King and William is the Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge, Highgrove may be the perfect country house for Harry as its been noted lately that Harry enjoys gardening and could even be a father/son project in the years to come. Perhaps Charles will keep the use of it as his country escape too. Either way, I don't see Highgrove going on the market after all the work and dreams that have been put into it.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-15-2015, 09:30 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Highgrove belongs to the Duchy of Cornwall. The scenario that makes sense to me is that perhaps when Charles becomes King and William is the Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge, Highgrove may be the perfect country house for Harry as its been noted lately that Harry enjoys gardening and could even be a father/son project in the years to come. Perhaps Charles will keep the use of it as his country escape too. Either way, I don't see Highgrove going on the market after all the work and dreams that have been put into it.
I could see William and Charles doing a tradeoff though? William keeping Amner and Charles keeping Highgrove. I mean. Charles have worked on that work of art garden for like 30+ years. I think they will make so he can keep it.

And I didn't mean "on the market" as in for real. Just as "open for another royal"
Old 09-15-2015, 09:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Cambridge Residences: Kensington Palace & Anmer Hall

Harry doesn't have a steady private income stream that his father and brother will have. Can he afford the dozens of gardeners plus the inside house staff?

If you go to the Duchy of Cornwall's website the prime goal of the duchy is to maintain for future Dukes. We have two future Dukes already with William and George. They will be in the best position to maintain and add on to what Charles started. Let's not forget that Kate has a green thumb herself and has openly talked about growing her own fruits and vegetables.

Charles built Highgrove gardens from nothing to what they are now. When he is King, he will have Balmoral, Sandringham and Windsor to experiment on and bring his experience to. William and Kate are not going to take a bulldozer to the gardens of Highgrove the minute they become Duke and Duchess of Cornwall.

If he wanted to keep it when King, could have bought it personally not the Duchy. He knew that his first son would be the Duke when became King.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Harry will get a new title at some point and that may contain a good income stream.

LaRae
Old 09-15-2015, 10:09 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Harry will get a new title at some point and that may contain a good income stream.

LaRae
Titles don't generate income streams. The only Duchy's that do are the Duchy of Lancaster (for the monarch) and the Duchy of Cornwall (for the heir).
Old 09-15-2015, 10:10 AM
Heir Apparent

It won't. The only titles in the BRF with a income stream are the Duchy of Cornwall and Lancaster set up to provide a private income source to the heir and monarch. The Dukes of Edinburgh, York, Cambridge, Kent, Gloucester and what ever title Harry is created don't come with land and thus income from it.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Titles don't generate income streams. The only Duchy's that do are the Duchy of Lancaster (for the monarch) and the Duchy of Cornwall (for the heir).
I thought there might be one that could be separated out from the Monarch's group.

LaRae
Old 09-15-2015, 10:16 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I thought there might be one that could be separated out from the Monarch's group.

LaRae
That can't be done. The monarch can't use the capital, only the income.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Ah gotcha.

Well he's hardly poor...he has the monies from his mother and we can assume he will be taken care of by Charles as well....and perhaps the Queen will leave him some as well..

LaRae
Old 09-15-2015, 10:39 AM
Heir Apparent

He isn't poor but he isn't going to have 15 million pounds a year coming in like his brother will as Duke of Cornwall. There is a reason that Charles out of his siblings is the only one with a large staff and multiple homes.

The Queen uses her private Duchy of Lancaster to fund the Royal activities and staff of the other royals. Charles will do the same when he becomes King. William as Duke of Cornwall will pay for the his family and Harry will be like Anne, Edward and Andrew with their own offices under BP funded by Charles.

The Queen can pass down things to Charles via a monarch to monarch transfer tax free. The same eventually with Charles to William so the bulk of things remain with the new monarch. There can be trust funds and such for the others but the private estates and jewelry are passed down from monarch to monarch.