The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal Residences

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-23-2015, 06:09 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Oh sheesh.. thanks a lot Thumbahlina. Now I really, really want to go there and spend time going through all these kinds of places like residences and Westminster Abbey and the works. Trouble is I can barely make it to Walmart these days.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-23-2015, 07:35 PM
Majesty

Although I'm sure much of this information is available elsewhere around these forums, I thought I'd post the history of the Sandringham estate as it appears on the website of the British Monarchy. Enjoy!

Perhaps this belongs in the Sandringham thread and should the moderators feel it does, please move it?

http://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalResi...e/History.aspx

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-20-2015, 09:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
THE Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have been given planning permission to build a new £60,000 tennis court at their country home.
Their new AstroTurf court will replace one which has fallen into disrepair at Anmer Hall on the Sandringham estate in Norfolk.

It will be built just 36 feet away from the old court to help improve the views from the 10-bedroom Georgian hall. The existing court will be dug up and turned into part of the back garden.

King’s Lynn and West Norfolk Borough Council granted planning consent to the Sandringham estate to carry out the work earlier this week, it emerged today.

Documents on the council’s website reveal that no members of the public, councillors or officials from public bodies objected to the plans.

The creation of the new court will involve the removal of 10 trees, including a silver birch, Japanese and Norwegian maples, a fruit tree and a poisonous labernum which poses a potential danger to the couple’s children Prince George and Princess Charlotte.
Read more: William and Kate win planning permission to build £60,000 tennis court | Royal | News | Daily Express
Old 08-20-2015, 11:32 AM
Heir Apparent

This is not how I remember the announcement. KP was to be official res - but no mention of time spent as I recall it. Anyone else have any recall:

"All the signs are that William and Kate want to make Anmer their main home to bring up Prince George and Princess Charlotte in rural seclusion, even though their office had insisted that their official residence at Kensington Palace would be where they spent most of their time after £4.5 million of taxpayers’ money was spent refurbishing their 22-room apartment there."
Old 08-20-2015, 11:38 AM
Courtier

I see the killer tree's moment of fame continues...
Old 08-20-2015, 11:49 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm not sure in the end how much time will be spent where. There is no minimum residency requirement for their homes.

KP is their official London Residence and Anmer Hall is the country retreat.

William will be adding castles and palaces over the course of his lifetime soo...
Old 08-20-2015, 12:13 PM
Majesty

I always took the "official residence" statement to mean that it would be the hub from which their official business was conducted as in where their PR staff and communications are based and perhaps any official entertaining they do over the years to come. Anmer is more their family home

I really don't see William amassing any more homes or palaces or apartments or any other kind of real estate and truly feel that the Cambridges will reside at KP or Anmer for quite a long time or at least until William become King.
― John Lennon
Old 08-20-2015, 12:22 PM
Courtier

Cambridge Residences: Kensington Palace & Anmer Hall

My often stated opinion, both here and otherwise, is that during both the reigns of Charles and William we'll se a downsizing of the numbers of residences used by the Sovereign. I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to stay on in their present homes and use BP as an official residence where they work and hold official functions with Windsor either as a secondary official residence or a (somewhat grand) weekend home.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 08-20-2015, 12:23 PM
Heir Apparent

I believe that the Anmer Hall will be their main residence until William to become the successor of his father. Now when this will happen; Only Elizabeth and god knows.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

It's always been known that Kensington Palace will be the Cambridge's official residence until he's King. Anmer Hall is just their private country home, as Highgrove is Charles and Camilla's private country home.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-20-2015, 12:38 PM
Serene Highness

As long as he is working/flying Anmer would seem to be the most convenient place anyway.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:28 PM
Courtier

Duchess of Cambridge maintains her own country home a few miles from Highgrove allegedly.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
I believe that the Anmer Hall will be their main residence until William to become the successor of his father. Now when this will happen; Only Elizabeth and god knows.
Its kind of interesting to think that once William becomes King, he probably will move into the big house at Sandringham and after years of living at Anmer, he becomes the owner of the property but doesn't live in it. Perhaps he'll pass both Anmer and Apt.1A down to George when he marries and begins starting his own family.

Looking at what may happen in the future makes me realize just how important it was to upgrade and repair and renovate the two properties that the Cambridges use. It reinforces the belief that they will still be there for future generations to come.
― John Lennon
Old 08-20-2015, 01:30 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
Duchess of Cambridge maintains her own country home a few miles from Highgrove allegedly.
Do you mean Cornwall?
Old 08-20-2015, 01:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Do you mean Cornwall?
Yeps... its Camilla that owns Ray Mill which isn't far from Highgrove.
― John Lennon
Old 08-20-2015, 03:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Cambridge Residences: Kensington Palace & Anmer Hall

It isn't a given that William and family stay at Amner post Charles's accession.

Right now it fits with the air ambulance job and Christmas. When William is DoC and named PoW, he is going to be pulled to engagements on the western side of the country.

Charles has the use of 4 residences. The Duchy of Cornwall income allows for multiple homes that his siblings don't have and probably can afford.

Amner could be rented out again or Harry could be given use of the house as a country home. The Queen owns it isn't in her interest or future owners Charles and William not to fix it up.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-20-2015, 07:47 PM
Heir Apparent

I disagree. They would not have forced the tenant out/done the renovations had Dad not been on board with a long stay at Anmer.

Charles, more so than his brothers, I think, understands that having your beloved bolt hole is crucial to long-lived success/sanity as a royal public figure. Charles, more so than anyone else, understands they the heir needs to have their own private space. JMO.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:36 AM
Serene Highness

I think the Cambridges will use Anmer for many years to come; until William inherits the entire Sandringham estate. Sandringham is relatively small for total family gatherings and it helps that William and his family don't have to be accommodated..assuming of course there is still a family gathering (I.e, Christmas) in Charles court.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:39 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
I think the Cambridges will use Anmer for many years to come; until William inherits the entire Sandringham estate. Sandringham is relatively small for total family gatherings and it helps that William and his family don't have to be accommodated..assuming of course there is still a family gathering (I.e, Christmas) in Charles court.
I think the biggest blessing of living at Anmer around the holidays is that it makes it very easily possible for the Cambridge family to spend them with both sides of the family. Plenty of room to host a Middleton Christmas as well as down the road from a royal Christmas at Sandringham.
― John Lennon
Old 09-14-2015, 04:48 PM
Nobility

It seems highly unlikely that William would leave Anmer before he is king. I am sure that he and Kate would have as much use for so many homes as Charles currently does. What seems anomalous is that William was given use of a house at Sandringham, whereas Charles has always had to stay with his parents during Christmas holidays.