The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-22-2014, 11:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Sometimes I share things just because they are so silly. This is one of those cases. EXCLUSIVE: Ghost in the Royal garden! Prince George could have a phantom friend | Royal | News | Daily Express

Old 12-24-2014, 04:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Is that the same as having an imaginary friend?

Old 12-24-2014, 04:36 PM
Nobility

It would be nice for the Cambridges to host Christmas dinner next year, for the whole family in Anmer
Old 12-24-2014, 06:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Sometimes I share things just because they are so silly. This is one of those cases. EXCLUSIVE: Ghost in the Royal garden! Prince George could have a phantom friend | Royal | News | Daily Express
When Prince George is old enough to inquire about the ghost, he will be able to have an education in a historic Englishman, Henry Walpole.
How delightful to have a long history connected with a royal residence!
Old 01-22-2015, 07:29 AM
Nobility

Any news on whether they have moved into Anmer yet?
Old 01-22-2015, 08:08 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
Any news on whether they have moved into Anmer yet?
Its my understanding that they (and the Middletons) spent the Christmas holidays at Anmer.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 01-22-2015, 08:13 AM
Heir Apparent

It was the press that stated they would be 'moving into' Anmer Hall while a spokesperson for the palace said the Cambridges would be commuting back and forth between London and Norfolk, much like other royals with multiple residences.

Kensington Palace is and will remain their primary residence
Old 01-22-2015, 08:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
It was the press that stated they would be 'moving into' Anmer Hall while a spokesperson for the palace said the Cambridges would be commuting back and forth between London and Norfolk, much like other royals with multiple residences.

Kensington Palace is and will remain their primary residence

I agree. Most people in that social sphere have a place in the country and a London base. For Kate and William, a London base is really a necessity, even though they might like country life better.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:20 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

William and Kate upset locals with refurbished weathervane
Old 01-28-2015, 03:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I must say that if the flag part of the weathervane has been removed, the effect of the wind direction will not be as great. Maybe, it's been sent off for repair, whilst the ship part only needed re-painting.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:29 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Hardly a point to get excited about. Just a local trying to get his 3 minutes of fame.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Hardly a point to get excited about. Just a local trying to get his 3 minutes of fame.
I think this fellow is perfectly entitled to get excited about this and I think it is unfair to dismiss him as "just a local trying to get his 3 minutes of fame". I don't think he's after fame at all. He refurbished it 20 or so years ago and endeavoured to maintain ts historical integrity. It's a big thing for him and other locals, and quite reasonably so, in my opinion. Just because what he's concerned about is not something of national significance does not mean it is not important and that his views are not worthy of respect.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Textiles don't really hold up well in the weather over time. The UV from the sun will degrade the fabric. When it brought down, maybe it was too damaged to go back on the weathervane.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 01-28-2015, 01:04 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I think this fellow is perfectly entitled to get excited about this and I think it is unfair to dismiss him as "just a local trying to get his 3 minutes of fame". I don't think he's after fame at all. He refurbished it 20 or so years ago and endeavoured to maintain ts historical integrity. It's a big thing for him and other locals, and quite reasonably so, in my opinion. Just because what he's concerned about is not something of national significance does not mean it is not important and that his views are not worthy of respect.
I think the context is important. I suspect the English flag / Cross of St George's was removed because it was probably deemed inappropriate for the future King of the UK to be displaying a flag representing only 1 part of the UK. We are not that far along from the last Scottish referendum. The Union does not look that strong at the moment. If a tenant was using Anmer, displaying the English flag would be immaterial, when the future King is the occupant, a more nuanced view has to be taken, IMO.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Textiles don't really hold up well in the weather over time. The UV from the sun will degrade the fabric. When it brought down, maybe it was too damaged to go back on the weathervane.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
The flag part of the weathervane is apparently made of metal (you are right of course about fabrics though!). Here is a link to a Daily Mail article containing a photograph, apparently of the weathervane in question. I am not sure where at Anmer Hall it is located as it doesn't seem to be on the roof of the main house.

weathervane | Daily Mail Online
Old 01-28-2015, 01:23 PM
Administrator

I basically think that BP was correctly right when they stated, “Anmer Hall is a private residence and I cannot make any comment.”

We really don't know why the weather vane was taken down, perhaps it didn't look right with the new tiles, or was damaged during the roof repair, or maybe they didn't like it. Notice that he was asked to keep its originality by the previous owner, not the new owner. Perhaps the new owner decided that he didn't care for it.

It's their home, last time I checked its not on the Historic home registry or anything like that, or an eyesore to their neighbors.....are we now telling the royals what they can do with their private homes

Old 01-28-2015, 01:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

I wish people would stop complaining about what the Cambridge's are doing with THEIR house.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-28-2015, 01:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
are we now telling the royals what they can do with their private homes
Clearly the Daily Heil consider we OWN them in every conceivable manner.. Rational people, however don't !
Old 01-28-2015, 01:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Headlines like this are designed as click bait. It allows readers to leave the usual "Who do they think they are?" comments.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:33 AM
Serene Highness

Reports of moles causing damage to the grounds of Anmer Hall while the Duke and Duchess have been away on Mustique.

(But wouldn't the gardeners just sort that out, whether the house was occupied or not?)