Wales Residences: Kensington Palace, Adelaide Cottage & Anmer Hall

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kensington Palace is very definitely a palace with state rooms and the works.

It is just that over the last 200 or so years it has come to be associated with a place to put a lot of minor royals compared to BP which is the home of other royals - including the monarch.

KP used to have that role.

Whilstthe outside of KP does look like a Palace, in practice, large parts of the palace have been divided into apartments used by various royal relatives. The former state rooms are in the public part of the Palace, and are open for the public to visit.

Whilstthe outside of KP does look like a Palace, in practice, large parts of the palace have been divided into apartments used by various royal relatives. The former state rooms are in the public part of the Palace, and are open for the public to visit.

By that definition BP isn't a palace either as there are a number of apartments and offices there as well e.g. Andrew has an apartment there and there are suggestions that William and Kate will have their London apartment there after he leaves the RAF rather than Kensington Palace.

All Palaces in Britain - throughout the centuries - have had many apartments where different royals and their hangers on have had their homes - it doesn't stop them being palaces.

Kensington Palace is very definitely a palace with state rooms and the works.

It is just that over the last 200 or so years it has come to be associated with a place to put a lot of minor royals compared to BP which is the home of other royals - including the monarch.

KP used to have that role.

Kensington Palace ceased to be the main home of the monarch when Buckingham Palace was built, and Victoria became the first sovereign to live there.

So owing to the palace's history, I think it would make a very suitable home for William and Catherine, when they are no longer living in Wales due to William's being stationed there.

:) maybe they're planning to keep it longer then 2 years but not live there fulltime....?

I just read that Prince William wants to keep the farm house. And a few years ago that Catherine wanted to raise a family in a farm house. :flowers:

georgiea said:
I just read that Prince William wants to keep the farm house. And a few years ago that Catherine wanted to raise a family in a farm house. :flowers:
Arent they living threre already? I don'tthink they are decorating the Wales place, at least not a major decor because they are only living there and I think Ive read somewhere wills is renting the place

Oops I missed to say, living there for a few years only

I could not ghet the link to work, but would there be a problem if they worked with a decorator to furnish the house in Wales?

I don't get it. Why hire a professional decorater for a house you are only renting? Much less one you are only going to be living in for another 2 years. Unless they are secretly purchasing the property I don't see the point. Professional decorators are extremely expensive.

I don't get it. Why hire a professional decorater for a house you are only renting? Much less one you are only going to be living in for another 2 years. Unless they are secretly purchasing the property I don't see the point. Professional decorators are extremely expensive.

Why not? It really depends on how much work you do with the decorator, and what the work might be. If they largely confine the scope to moveable pieces of furniture and soft furnishings, they will be able to move with their things.

As an interior designer, more than once I have been called upon to help make a rental property more appealing and enjoyable by suggesting paint colors, advising on fabrics and other furnishings that could later be moved to another home. It's all about creating a welcoming environment, even in a rental.

As an interior designer, more than once I have been called upon to help make a rental property more appealing and enjoyable by suggesting paint colors, advising on fabrics and other furnishings that could later be moved to another home. It's all about creating a welcoming environment, even in a rental.

Okay, I get that. It just struck me as rather strange at first until I read the responses and got a different picture of what they may be trying to accomplish. I imagine they will be doing more entertaining once they are married as well which would explain having someone come in to help make their temporary home more inviting.

Okay, I get that. It just struck me as rather strange at first until I read the responses and got a different picture of what they may be trying to accomplish. I imagine they will be doing more entertaining once they are married as well which would explain having someone come in to help make their temporary home more inviting.

It really wouldn't surprise me one bit if that after renting the place in Wales as a temporary residence while William serves in the RAF there, they've found a special attachment to the place and have worked it out to actually buy the place for a permanent home in the country. With that in mind, they would most certainly want to change things around to suit their taste and make it "theirs". I was just wondering something. In time should William be created the Prince of Wales and actually resides in Wales, how long since a previous PoW has actually resided in Wales? Anyone know?

texankitcat said:
. Unless they are secretly purchasing the property I don't see the point. Professional decorators are extremely expensive.

Let's be honest, they can very well afford it regardless of how long they rent/live there.....And can you imagine how much renter the owner could charge once they move out? Live where William and Kate lived!

Per RoyalReporter

Likewise, every time since Nov it's been reported that Will and Kate were to set up home in BP or KP, courtiers have said StJP for moment.
web • 4/9/11 4:55 AM

So St James Palace it is for now, I suppose

Per RoyalReporter

Likewise, every time since Nov it's been reported that Will and Kate were to set up home in BP or KP, courtiers have said StJP for moment.
web • 4/9/11 4:55 AM

So St James Palace it is for now, I suppose

It seems to me that St James Palace has virtually no controversy associated with it. BP would afford them no privacy. I think a lot of people would like to see KP turned over to the government like Marlborough House. It doesn't address the issues of expense if they were to purchase a top flight apartment. Apartments in Windsor Castle would probably not be convenient. I don't know if there are any estates available in Windsor Park.

I am curious as to what the apartments look like in StJP. I know that Prince Charles lived there when he separated. I've heard that Princess Anne has a place where she can change clothes and use as an office. Can someone point out a floor plan?

It seems to me that St James Palace has virtually no controversy associated with it. BP would afford them no privacy. I think a lot of people would like to see KP turned over to the government like Marlborough House. It doesn't address the issues of expense if they were to purchase a top flight apartment. Apartments in Windsor Castle would probably not be convenient. I don't know if there are any estates available in Windsor Park.

I am curious as to what the apartments look like in StJP. I know that Prince Charles lived there when he separated. I've heard that Princess Anne has a place where she can change clothes and use as an office. Can someone point out a floor plan?

There are some floor plans here

st james's palace.

That's awesome! Thanks KristineML for the floorplans! :flowers:

StJamesPalace-STJgr.jpg

If I understand this map correctly, the red squares are Clarence House, currently the home of Prince Charles and the Duchess of Gloucester, and the former home of Prince Charles and family when he was a boy, and the home of the Queen Mother.

The light blue squares are York House, (built 1736) where Prince Charles and William and Harry lived for a while when the Queen Mother died, before moving into Clarence House.

Would York House be refurnished into a home for Catherine and William?

Apologies if this has been said already, but my understanding is that William and Kate will continue to live at Clarence House while in London. Is this everyone's understanding?

Apologies if this has been said already, but my understanding is that William and Kate will continue to live at Clarence House while in London. Is this everyone's understanding?

My understanding is that to begin with they will continue to live in the suite in CH that they have shared with Harry for years. In time though they will need their own London base but... with the Queen's advancing years it may also make sense for them to establish themselves there for the long haul as no doubt when Charles succeeds they will take over all of CH.

sunseeker99 said:

The palace continues to say St James palace as their residence after the wedding in London, and that's what Richard (royalreporter) wad reporting but mostly they'll remain in their home while William served out the rest of his RAF duties i believe

Last edited:
The palace continues to say St James palace as their residence after the wedding in London, and that's what Richard (royalreporter) wad reporting but mostly they'll remain in their home while William served out the rest of his RAF duties i believe

CH is part of St James Palace.

There was a report some weeks ago that they would continue to live in the apartment they currently use at CH and share it with Harry.

Iluvbertie said:
CH is part of St James Palace.

Oh- thank you for letting me know, I hadno idea! Ok- sounds good then :)

Oh- thank you for letting me know, I hadno idea! Ok- sounds good then :)

If you look at the plan posted in #112 you can see the section of St James' Palace marked in red. That is Clarence House.

It was just reported on Good Morning America not sure how reliable they are but they said that William and Kate have decided to move into Kensington Palace to Princess Margaret's old apartments. They said they had toured them again recently and that is where they decided to make a new home. I guess we will have to wait and see. I personally think it is a great idea for them to have a house to themselves and not share with the in-law's LOL

Back
Top Bottom