The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal Residences

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

But no matter how many houses William and Catherine may acquire elsewhere, they still have to have a London base, and one with great security.

Which brings us right back to the four options:
Kensington Palace
Buckingham Palace
St. James Palace
Clarence House

Old 03-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

I know William has apartments in Buckingham Palace (at least I thought I read he did), but I don't think he and Catherine would want to set up house in London in the same home his grandparents live in, even if said grandparents live in a palace. I would think they'd want their own home. Clarence House is where Charles and Camilla live I believe, so I don't think they'd live with his father and step-mother. That would leave Kensington and St. James.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 03-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanya Trubetskoy View Post
I think I read somewhere that a house is being built somewhere on the Duchy of Cornwall Estate for William and Catherine.
I think Bolehyde Manor is way to big and grand for them! They would get alot of flak in the press if they bought Bolyhyde. But then again the Queen bought country homes for all of her children as wedding gifts.....Hmmm.
Charles has built some farm in Cornwall,that he has said was meant for William.

As long as William and Kate don't expect the tax payers to pay for the house, I see no reason for the media to complain about cost. If Andrew Parker-Bowles can own the manor house, I think the royals can afford it.

But considering it is the former home of Will's stepmother and her former husband, and is rumored to be the place where they carried out much of their affair, I have serious doubts. Even if it is where Charles also supposedly proposed.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Bolehyde Manor

Didn't Camilla used to live there, with her first husband?
Old 03-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Didn't Camilla used to live there, with her first husband?
Yes he bought it as their matrimonial home. It is reported Charles proposed to Diana there. But many have said Charles used to spend weekends there, when Andrew was away for work in London. So I don't really see it being a top choice for the couple, no matter how well Will and Camilla may get along now.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:17 PM
Gentry

Yes she did!
It belongs to andrew parker bowles i think.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Gentry

I think Kp would be the most logical place for both of them william and harry to live.
Separate apartments of course.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian

Yes he bought it as their matrimonial home. It is reported Charles proposed to Diana there. But many have said Charles used to spend weekends there, when Andrew was away for work in London. So I don't really see it being a top choice for the couple, no matter how well Will and Camilla may get along now.
Weren't the Middleton's touring it? Maybe they're purchasing it for themselves? Would that estate be closer to their daughter and son in law in London then where they are now?
Old 03-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
I know William has apartments in Buckingham Palace (at least I thought I read he did), but I don't think he and Catherine would want to set up house in London in the same home his grandparents live in, even if said grandparents live in a palace. I would think they'd want their own home. Clarence House is where Charles and Camilla live I believe, so I don't think they'd live with his father and step-mother. That would leave Kensington and St. James.
I don't think William has an apartment at Buckingham Palace. Beside The Queen and the Duke of Ed. the only other royals that live there are the Duke of York and the Earl of Wessex, Pr. Edward and Sophie. I believe the Princess Royal has an apartment somewhere in London, not in any of the palaces.
For William and Catherine it comes down to KP or St. James Palace. IMHO.
I'd put my money on KP.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I don't think William has an apartment at Buckingham Palace. Beside The Queen and the Duke of Ed. the only other royals that live there are the Duke of York and the Earl of Wessex, Pr. Edward and Sophie. I believe the Princess Royal has an apartment somewhere in London, not in any of the palaces.
For William and Catherine it comes down to KP or St. James Palace. IMHO.
I'd put my money on KP.
Anne as an apartment at ST James'
Old 04-04-2011, 04:45 AM
Gentry

Kensington Palace visit

The Mirror reports a visit to Apartment 8 at Kensington Palace by Prince William and Catherine.
Wills and Kate set to move into Diana's old apartment in Kensington Palace - mirror.co.uk
Old 04-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Weren't the Middleton's touring it? Maybe they're purchasing it for themselves? Would that estate be closer to their daughter and son in law in London then where they are now?
Bolehyde would be further away from London than where the Middleton's currently live.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by figtreecrossing View Post
The Mirror reports a visit to Apartment 8 at Kensington Palace by Prince William and Catherine.
Wills and Kate set to move into Diana's old apartment in Kensington Palace - mirror.co.uk
Not sure I believe this article. Diana had apartments 8 & 9 which were combined. Last I heard these apartments were divided up again and were in use by palace staff.

Anyone have info on this?
Old 04-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Gentry

Quote:
I think I read somewhere that a house is being built somewhere on the Duchy of Cornwall Estate for William and Catherine.
I think Bolehyde Manor is way to big and grand for them! They would get alot of flak in the press if they bought Bolyhyde. But then again the Queen bought country homes for all of her children as wedding gifts.....Hmmm.

I know the Queen bought country homes for her children.I never heard she bought a home for Peter Phillips when he married. The Queen is always fair doing the same for one as she does for the others, so I do not think she will buy one for William.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222

I know the Queen bought country homes for her children.I never heard she bought a home for Peter Phillips when he married. The Queen is always fair doing the same for one as she does for the others, so I do not think she will buy one for William.
But I also believe Peter lived in Hong Kong after marrying so did he need a London home? I think Charles will get them a home eventually ....but for now they'll stay up near where they live now and use KP apartments for London base IMO
Old 04-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
The Queen does not need to buy a house for William, if required, Charles (or in practice, the Duchy of Cornwall) will. For the next few years, William and Catherine will use the rented property in Wales as their principal home. Meanwhile, they will also get a home in London (possibly in KP) at some stage. When William leaves the SAR, and if Charles is still PoW, W&C may choose to get a larger place in the country as well. That may be:

a) a cottage on the Windsor estate;
b) something on the Highgrove estate;
c) the property recently renovated in Hereford by the Duchy (Harewood Park);
d) Frogmore, as recently rumoured; or
e) something completely unrelated.

Not that we are privy to the financial affairs of the Phillips children, but I doubt if HM specifically bought them homes. She may well have provided them with trust / other funds to make them independently wealthy. It was reported in the last 18 months or so that Zara and Mike had bought a property in Gloucestershire. If I am not mistaken, Peter & Autumn have access to a property on the Gatcombe estate.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:01 AM
Aristocracy

Perhaps they will move into Harewood Park in Herefordshire.
Prince Charles bought this 900 acre estate some time ago with the purpose of making it a "green estate". Prince William shares his father's love of the environment etc.
Just a thought.
Frogmore house is not an option. IMHO.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Perhaps they will move into Harewood Park in Herefordshire.
Prince Charles bought this 900 acre estate some time ago with the purpose of making it a "green estate". Prince William shares his father's love of the environment etc.
Just a thought.
Frogmore house is not an option. IMHO.
Harewood is certainly a possibility. Why do you think Frogmore is not an option?
Old 04-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Aristocracy

At Frogmore the interiors have been restored/preserved in their 19th century decor. I believe at one time it was the residence of the Duchess of Kent, Queen Victoria's mother.
The main reception rooms were restored to as she had them.
I think a lot of time, effort, and money went into making Frogmore a 19th century time capsule.
I just can't see it as a viable option for William and catherine.
Please correct me if i'm mistaken.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:30 AM
Aristocracy

What about Anmer Hall on the Sandringham Estate...
It was the home of the Duke and Duchess of Kent until 1990, then they moved to Crocker End house.
I'm not sure who lives there now. One of the Van Cutsem's?
But it would be ideal, it's on the Sandringham estate, it's one of HM "Grace and Favor residences", William and Catherine love the country life and it looks to be a very cosy house, perfect for newlyweds! .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anmer hall.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	276697