The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal Residences

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-14-2014, 10:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Maybe Charles doesn't like the Sandringham area as much as other places. He has Highgrove bought by the Duchy premarriage to Diana, a house in Wales also owned by the Duchy and Birkhall part of the Queen's Balmoral estate given for his use.

The Queen gave country homes to all of her other children after their marriages, which makes sense to skip Charles since he has the Duchy income that the others don't.

Also William and Kate using Amner keeps them at Sandringham for Christmas since her family can come and stay with them during the holiday.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 10-14-2014, 12:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think Anmer Hall will stay a royal residence.
Yes, with all the upgrades, especially security-wise, that makes sense for the foreseeable future.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorgirl View Post
Yes, with all the upgrades, especially security-wise, that makes sense for the foreseeable future.
It's also something to pass down to George or his soon to be sister/brother.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-14-2014, 12:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
I still wonder why the Cambridges were given the privilege of a Sandringham residence, yet his father never did.
As has been pointed out, all the Queen's children were provided with a country residence. Prince Charles had Highgrove since 1980, a home he has loved, and considers, along with CH, as his principal residence.

Further, William is meant to be very keen of shooting, and spends a reasonable amount of time on the estate. He also has a number of friends in the area. It is possible the Queen may have offered William a choice of properties (at Sandringham, Windsor or elsewhere) and he chose Sandringham. Also, the situation is further simplified as William, like Charles, will eventually own the Sandringham estate.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:09 AM
Royal Highness

The point is when the family joins the Queen for Christmas at Sandringham, William will have a private 10 bedroom house while his father has to share a house with his parents.

Highgrove is not geographically useful during Christmas.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:13 AM
Nobility

Should Charles have his own separate residence beside each of the Queen's residences? Talk about excess.

I have no doubt that as PoW, Charles gets the grandest suite at Sandringham. Plus, in the not-too-distant future he will, of course, get Sandringham itself.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:25 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
The point is when the family joins the Queen for Christmas at Sandringham, William will have a private 10 bedroom house while his father has to share a house with his parents.

If Charles felt that was an issue, it would have been addressed at some stage!
Old 10-15-2014, 05:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post

Perhaps when Charles is King, he will spend Christmas at Highgrove.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:53 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
... especially as Highgrove may not be his home then!
Old 10-15-2014, 06:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Well spotted. And don't I feel silly.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Quote:
Well spotted. And don't I feel silly.
It will be interesting to see where C&C spend Christmas once he is King. Sandringham or Windsor maybe an option, and easy for the rest of the family to get to.

That said, as of now, they always head to Birkhall for Hogmanay. Will they continue to move court north of the border so soon after Christmas, or will they spend the holiday in one place?
Old 10-15-2014, 07:39 AM
Heir Apparent

What Charles does with these private homes may come down simply to economic rationalisation when he comes to the throne, especially with the new mansions tax the Labour Party intends to introduce in government.

In a way, William and Kate having a country house at Sandringham is a sort of 'back to the future' move, as the Duke and Duchess of York (the future King George and Queen Mary) brought up a family for years at York Cottage on the Sandringham estate. The Duke was really happy there as, like William, he was an enthusiastic shooter. So, in a way, it's becoming a tradition for the heir to the heir.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Slightly off-topic but relevant to some posts above, I think it quite possible that Charles will wish to keep Highgrove even when he is king since he has spent so much time and effort into the place over all these years.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:27 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Slightly off-topic but relevant to some posts above, I think it quite possible that Charles will wish to keep Highgrove even when he is king since he has spent so much time and effort into the place over all these years.
Fair, though he will need to rationalise how many homes he retains. Windsor is too closely associated with the monarchy, so he will need to use it. Highgrove is not too far.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Won't Highgrove go to William when he becomes Duke of Cornwall?
Old 10-15-2014, 11:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Charles doesn't actually own Highgrove or the house in Wales they are part of the Duchy of Cornwall. If he wants to use it after he is King, needs permission of the new Duke which is William. On Charles is King, he will have Sandringham, Balmoral and the Windsor Great Park to tinker with if he is in the mood to tinker.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-15-2014, 12:09 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Many, many times in the past I've heard the story about how at Balmoral guests are told "We don't sit there. That's Queen Victoria's chair". Now flash forward half a century and picture George and his wee one walking in the gardens of Highgrove. 'We don't tease the squirrels nor stomp on the flower beds. Those are great grandpa's friends".

No matter who lives at Highgrove in the future, I think it will always be associated with Charles.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-15-2014, 12:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Charles doesn't actually own Highgrove or the house in Wales they are part of the Duchy of Cornwall. If he wants to use it after he is King, needs permission of the new Duke which is William. On Charles is King, he will have Sandringham, Balmoral and the Windsor Great Park to tinker with if he is in the mood to tinker.
I can see Charles occupying BP, Windsor, Sandringham and Balmoral when he is King.

William will stay at KP 1A, Anmer, and also be getting Highgrove and Birkhall.

Clarence House will most likely become vacant.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:22 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
I can see Charles occupying BP, Windsor, Sandringham and Balmoral when he is King.

William will stay at KP 1A, Anmer, and also getting Birkhall.

Clarence House will most likely become vacant.
Or possibly be a London base for Harry and his family. Would kind of be fitting if, when he married, he was created The Duke of Clarence eh? Clarence House also could be designated as a venue for any royal meetings, luncheons and functions too.

With the economics what they are, I don't see any of them really playing musical manors any more than is necessary.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-15-2014, 12:56 PM
Courtier

Does Harry own any property?