The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal Residences

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-14-2014, 01:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I don't consider William to be a senior royal. He is in the line of succession, but that doesn't make him a senior. He's got to do a lot more for the Crown before I will consider him a senior.
This is what I think also. William is in the senior hereditary line of succession to the throne but he (like Kate and Harry) is still, for the most part, a wet behind the ears intern when it comes to working for the Firm.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I don't consider William to be a senior royal. He is in the line of succession, but that doesn't make him a senior. He's got to do a lot more for the Crown before I will consider him a senior.
I also would find it hard to find William or Kate as senior royals. They lack experience and have little or no work ethic as well as barely and interest in the work of the Firm, or so it appears.

Yet despite this they have been handed the keys to two mansions which is out of proportion to their royal workload.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:18 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
My numbers are correct. In the floor plan you attached, the purple area is Apt 1A. This equals to 20800 square feet.

The original floor plans show Apt 1A as T shaped. KP was built in sections and the floor plans I have predates the building of the second square and the section above the T.

Apt 1A was originally the purple section and strip across the top that ended before the large square where the 'W' is located. (This is the clock tower.) Everything below the 'W' and to the right of it did not exist. The large maize colored square to the left of the 'W' did not exist.

On the original floor plans the clock tower did not exist.

Adding the purple section with the section across it give you 31592 square feet.
The clock tower which was added by Wren sometime before 1689 for William & Mary still exists see:Learn About The Origins Of Kensington Palace As A Jacobean Mansion
Can you link to the floor plans you are going from? Do they predate 1689 when the clock tower was added?
Old 08-15-2014, 04:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
Yet despite this they have been handed the keys to two mansions which is out of proportion to their royal workload.
It is not uncommon for people in the UK to have a home in London and a place in the country. One is an official home, one is a private one. What is the problem with that (other than your repeatedly making the same point time and again)?
Old 08-15-2014, 05:55 AM
Nobility

Not only not uncommon, but in the upper crust it is more or less the norm to have a country pile and a place in Town (aka London).

And they are per definition 'senior royals' as this has nothing to do with age or workload but with beeing in the direct line to the throne.

In England the Heir and the heir to the heir had and still has allways a special place and treatment; he get's the title and the bulk of the inheritance. The others get allowances and as much / little money, as is possible (often out of the marriage portion of their mother). If you read english literature of the 18th and 19th century you might get an understandig of that matter.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
The clock tower which was added by Wren sometime before 1689 for William & Mary still exists see:Learn About The Origins Of Kensington Palace As A Jacobean Mansion
Can you link to the floor plans you are going from? Do they predate 1689 when the clock tower was added?
Yes. It shows the 1605 building and floor plan and the building of KP in stages.

Although the website states Apartment 1A is 'L' shape it is clearly 'T' shaped.

You can see the 14 windows, the long hallway and the entrance from what could become the courtyard and how the rooms in the 'T' connect. The clock tower is being penciled in.

What is listed in current floor plans as part of the Gloucesters' home is shown here as originally part of Apt 1A.

COTE DE TEXAS: ROYAL PALACES PART THREE
Old 08-17-2014, 02:06 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I also would find it hard to find William or Kate as senior royals. They lack experience and have little or no work ethic as well as barely and interest in the work of the Firm, or so it appears.

Yeah, I'd have to agree. It does seem a bit excessive to me too.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
Yeah, I'd have to agree. It does seem a bit excessive to me too.
I'd like someone to provide us with a source that explicitly states how keys to a mansion has anything to do with the hours put in for the Firm. We do realize don't we that this is a family right? This is family working for family and there's actually no paycheck involved for the hours put in right? We do know that the Queen through the Sovereign Grant only pays for the expenses the family puts into being representatives of the Crown right? (clothing, security and lodging if needed).

How many of you out there have to work so many hours for your family to um.. give you a meal, loan you a car, back you up when you're in trouble?

How this family works is their own business and its the Queen's prerogative to give what she has to whom she chooses. For all we know, the plans are being put into action for years ahead into the future.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I'd like someone to provide us with a source that explicitly states how keys to a mansion has anything to do with the hours put in for the Firm. We do realize don't we that this is a family right? This is family working for family and there's actually no paycheck involved for the hours put in right? We do know that the Queen through the Sovereign Grant only pays for the expenses the family puts into being representatives of the Crown right? (clothing, security and lodging if needed).

How many of you out there have to work so many hours for your family to um.. give you a meal, loan you a car, back you up when you're in trouble?

How this family works is their own business and its the Queen's prerogative to give what she has to whom she chooses. For all we know, the plans are being put into action for years ahead into the future.
As far as Anmer Hall goes I agree with you - that is the Queen's private property and on the Queen's private estate. She can do what she likes with it.

As far as Kensington Palace is concerned, I don't agree. That is owned by the tax payer and, as landlord, the tax payer (of whom I am not one) is entitled to question how its property is being used and what it is getting in return.

I appreciate that William and Kate will, in the future, perform public duties for the rest of their lives but at the moment they have a more low key existence and so I don't see a problem with the debate.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:10 PM
Nobility

Interesting article about the area around Anmer.
Prince William's Real-Estate Revival in the English Countryside - WSJ
Old 09-26-2014, 08:52 AM
Courtier

Anmer Hall's previous occupants provide a history lesson for the Prince and Duchess | Royal | News | Daily Express
Quote:
THE DUKE and Duchess of Cambridge are expected to move into Anmer Hall later this month before William joins the East Anglian Air Ambulance Service.
But what is the story behind the Georgian country house in Norfolk, which is part of the Queen's Sandringham estate?
Among those who have lived there was one of the Duchess of Cornwall's ancestors as well as the Queen's cousin, Prince Charles's university pal and a few military heroes…
Old 09-26-2014, 04:07 PM
Courtier

Comments on the Anmer story:
Edward & Alexandra were married in 1863 not 1862.
The 6th Earl of Albermarle was Camilla's 3rd GG not 2nd GG.
Maria Keppel was not an ancestor of Camilla just a distant relative.

Another of the previous occupants has links to Camilla's family.
Allan Adair and his wife Enid were old friends of Sonia, Camilla's grandmother.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:44 AM
Nobility

I was wondering who will live at Anmer Hall if William were to become king while George is still relatively young? If William and Kate then moved to Sandringham House, they would probably continue to maintain AH as a residence for another member of the family.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I was wondering who will live at Anmer Hall if William were to become king while George is still relatively young? If William and Kate then moved to Sandringham House, they would probably continue to maintain AH as a residence for another member of the family.
As Anmer Hall is on the Sandringham estate, it will still be William's and its anyone guess what would happen if/when he becomes King. Up until the Cambridges took it over as a residence, it housed both families and businesses.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:36 AM
Serene Highness

Cambridge Residences: Kensington Palace & Anmer Hall

The Kents and the Van Custems lived there previously. There really wouldn't be a pressing need for George to use it. He would be Duke of Cornwall and Highgrove is part of the Duchy. Amner would just be rent out as it was before.

The odds that William would become King with George young are not that high.He isn't even the heir yet and there isn't a reason while Charles who is fit and doesn't have unhealthy habits not to live 20 plus more years which still wouldn't put him as old as his parents are now.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-14-2014, 04:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
If no close member of the Wales family had a use for it, the property would be rented out, as it has been for most of its history.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:13 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The odds that William would become King with George young are not that high.He isn't even the heir yet and there isn't a reason while Charles who is fit and doesn't have unhealthy habits not to live 20 plus more years which still wouldn't put him as old as his parents are now.
I wouldn't say that is unlikely for Charles to die before he is 85.

I still wonder why the Cambridges were given the privilege of a Sandringham residence, yet his father never did.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:04 AM
Serene Highness

I think there are some major differences in how Charles is handling things with his children as compared to the Queen and her children....I figure the residences fall into that category as well.

LaRae
Old 10-14-2014, 08:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I wouldn't say that is unlikely for Charles to die before he is 85.

I still wonder why the Cambridges were given the privilege of a Sandringham residence, yet his father never did.
My guess would be that because Charles has the Duchy of Cornwall and Highgrove (owned by the Duchy of Cornwall). He never needed or wanted an estate at Sandringham.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:24 AM
Majesty

I think Anmer Hall will stay a royal residence.

Dr. Maya Angelou