The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-12-2014, 06:49 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
William is not the heir and until he is the heir he need to live like his cousins.
Why? Who decides that? Do you? Do I? or does the Queen?

Quote:
If Peter & his wife along with 2 children can live in a cottage then William and his wife and 1 child can live in a cottage on his father's estate.
Why should they? William is the direct heir, and future King, which none of his cousins are. Also, do you know what sized properties do Peter and Zara live in?

Quote:
William is the Queen's grandson.

Peter Philips lives in a cottage on his mother's estate. He has 2 children.
Zara Philips lives in a cottage on her mother's estate. She has 1 child.

Princess Beatrice and her sister shared a flat in St. James' Palace which their father is said to pay the rent.

None of the Queen's adult grandchildren were given a London townhome and a country estates.
None of the Queen's grandchildren, other than William and Harry, carry out royal engagements. None of the other cousins are sons of the heir to the throne.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:56 AM
Royal Highness

Duc et Pair,

Clarence House is still smaller than KP Apt 1A. The floor plan includes part of St. James' Palace.

What is labeled as carpenter's room is now the garden room. This is where Clarence House ends.

The grey shaded section below the carpenter's room was an open courtyard. Later floor plan shows this area was partially closed. Even with this additional space it is still smaller than KP Apt 1A.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:05 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Duc et Pair,

Clarence House is still smaller than KP Apt 1A. The floor plan includes part of St. James' Palace.

What is labeled as carpenter's room is now the garden room. This is where Clarence House ends.

The grey shaded section below the carpenter's room was an open courtyard. Later floor plan shows this area was partially closed. Even with this additional space it is still smaller than KP Apt 1A.
What is the point you are driving at?
Old 08-12-2014, 07:06 AM
Royal Highness

William is going to need more than his cousin when/if he becomes the heir.

Until William is the heir and working full time there is no need for homes that are larger than the homes of the heir.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:08 AM
Royal Highness

Muriel,
I was responding to Duc et Pair post.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:08 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Until William is the heir and working full time there is no need for homes that are larger than the homes of the heir.
Is that a statement of fact or a personal opinion?
Old 08-12-2014, 07:14 AM
Royal Highness

I thought it would be logical that the heir (Charles) will have a larger residence than his son but if others do not think that is logical then they are more than welcome to see their own logic.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:15 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
William is not the heir and until he is the heir he need to live like his cousins.
Since when QueenCamilla were you Head of the House of Windsor ? HMQ makes these decisions in consultation with the PM and advisors of long standing and experience. I prefer to trust her decisions, rather than your rants...
Old 08-12-2014, 07:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I thought it would be logical that the heir (Charles) will have a larger residence than his son but if others do not think that is logical then they are more than welcome to see their own logic.
The RF do not occupy a modern purpose built condo complex where a specific hierarchy of square footage can be maintained. I have not researched the matter of square footage and have reservations about the veracity of the numbers you have put out, but that is besides the point entirely. As a Londoner, IMO, CH is certainly a more grand home (and one befitting the heir to the throne) than an apartment at KP - not just visually, but also in relation to its location and history.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:35 AM
Nobility

Quote:
The charity used Apartment 1A and it held public events. If it was dangerous, then the public would not have been allowed into the building. The rewiring was for modern technology.
Apartment 1A was used for storage by a charity. I don't believe it was occupied, and public events were not held there.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:35 AM
Royal Highness

Apt 1A is not an apartment. It is a townhome. It is one entire section of Kensington Palace.

If you disagree with my figures you are more than welcome to review floor plans and do you own measurements.. I not only gave the figures but how I arrived at the square footage. I also stated you can count the number of windows on Clarence House vs the number of windows on the section of Kensington Palace that is designated as Apt 1A.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:50 AM
Heir Apparent

As a member of the BRF you take what is available and appropriate. you also create a home. This is what Charles and Camilla have done. CH is their home and that would rate higher IMO than Square footage. I think he will find it hard to move to BP.

Posters on here see things in terms of hierarchy, I think the BRF are more practical. However, the exception appears to be planned maintenance hence having to spend large blocks of money in one go. It isnt so much about William and Catherine being the reason for the spend, its years of not doing anything ( and the same applies the HRP for not maintaining KP)

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-12-2014, 07:51 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I guess size does matter to some eh?

What it all boils down to is that its the Queen's prerogative to do as she wishes with the properties she has control of and say so over.

I really don't think they play "my dogs bigger than your dog" games when it comes to square footage of a room or a field or a slice of pizza. It would be infantile.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Since none of us were there to inspect the condition of the apartment (and I doubt many here are electricians/plumbers etc) then we aren't going to know why and really...if it needed to be done then it needed to be done. I am sure there were private monies involved in the renovations as required.

LaRae
I know quite a bit, hence my earlier post.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-12-2014, 08:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

I don't understand this constant need to complain about the Cambridge's official residence. Kensington Palace is their official seat and office. Just like Clarence House is Charles & Camilla's official residence and office, Kensington palace serves the same purpose for William & Catherine.

William & Catherine aren't abandoning their new home but it was always expected that they would have a country home fit for their status as the future Prince & Princess of Wales and King & Queen. It's the Wessesx's that have the largest house out of all The Queen's children and grandchildren.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-12-2014, 08:13 AM
Courtier

The office of William, Kathrine and Harry are also located at Apt 1. It also has part official rooms and parts for family use. A big part is also plane storage for outfits etc. And there are some spare rooms for additional use - very sensible.

They will live probably for the next decades to come in this place - they will move out only that day, that they have to move to BP.

In England for the upper class it is the norm to have one or more country-seats and a house / apptmt in town.

Now everything is ready for them to step up their royal duties, if required. Now they have the space and facilities to entertain as well private as well offical and do their stuff, while living in a secure enviroment. It doesn't matter in the long run, if they have some more years of relative privat lives, till they have to step up. But once you are a fulltime working royal, you do your job, till you drop.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
The office of William, Kathrine and Harry are also located at Apt 1. It also has part official rooms and parts for family use. A big part is also plane storage for outfits etc. And there are some spare rooms for additional use - very sensible.

They will live probably for the next decades to come in this place - they will move out only that day, that they have to move to BP.

In England for the upper class it is the norm to have one or more country-seats and a house / apptmt in town.

Now everything is ready for them to step up their royal duties, if required. Now they have the space and facilities to entertain as well private as well offical and do their stuff, while living in a secure enviroment. It doesn't matter in the long run, if they have some more years of relative privat lives, till they have to step up. But once you are a fulltime working royal, you do your job, till you drop.
I do agree that everything is setup for them to take on more and entertain official and privately at Kensington Palace.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-12-2014, 08:23 AM
Heir Apparent

The roof at Windsor Castle is a ten project. Obviously the Royal Household knows its priories better than us.

The money being spent on BP and KP is ongoing. Apartment 1A is finished.

As I stated in my previous post, in 2013-2014, the Royal Household was under budget by £400,000. They could have used this money if needed but didn't
Old 08-12-2014, 08:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
William is going to need more than his cousin when/if he becomes the heir.

Ahhhh.... maybe the BRF is plotting to put Camilla out to pasture. Is this what you're worried about?

The Duke of Cambridge is getting "more" than Camilla
Old 08-12-2014, 08:52 AM
Heir Apparent

When Charles and Diana married, it was said that they wanted Clarence House as their London residence after the Queen Mother died.
(But of course she lived forever!)

Their apt. at KP was supposed to be temporary.

(Anyway, Camilla probably wouldn't want to live in the same palace where Charles lived with Diana).