The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal Residences

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-17-2014, 05:08 AM
Royal Highness

Another fuss over William and Kate's London townhome is they added a second kitchen so Kate can play at happy homemaker.

Will William & Kate actually use their townhome to meet foreign leaders? Or if they have the opportunity to meet leaders will it happen at BP or CH or at the State Apartments in KP and not in their private townhome?

William was still using CH for meetings after he settled into his townhome (Apt 1A).

fyi, I believe it was York House at St. James' Palace that had the low ceiling that Harry didn't like. It would be strange for Harry to move into Nottingham Cottage (if he indeed did) if it has low ceilings.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:52 AM
Nobility

William lived at Nottingham Cottage, and he's as tall as Harry.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:42 AM
Aristocracy

How or where Charles lived prior to his marriage does not set in stone how William or Harry are suppose to live. Times have changed. Children do not live at home until they marry. When Charles married Diana he was the heir to the throne and both were expected to be full-time royals. William is in line for the throne, but won't be the heir for some time. For that reason, William was allowed to have more of a military career than Charles.

How William and Catherine spend their time, perform their royal duties and where they live are strongly influenced/directed by the Queen and Charles as well as the royal couriers.

As for William getting a house instead of Princess Anne & her family, the Queen owned the house and it is her decision as to who lives there.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:58 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee27 View Post
As for William getting a house instead of Princess Anne & her family, the Queen owned the house and it is her decision as to who lives there.
It is my understanding that the Queen gifted Anne and Mark Gatcombe Park at the time of their marriage. Once they divorced, Mark Philips and his second wife Sandy lived at Ashton Farms which separated from the Gatcombe Park estate at the time of his divorce from Anne. It is my belief that Ashton Farm now belongs to both Peter and Zara.

It was the same with Andrew and Sarah. The Queen gifted them Sunninghill as their marital home. Andrew sold it after the couple divorced and now leases Royal Lodge.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-17-2014, 06:18 PM
Royal Highness

Size of Apt 1A in reference to State Apts & Clarence House

Comparisons based on old architectural drawings. Measurements for Apt 1A are based on an old Kensington Palace floor plan scale.

The measurement:

Kensington State Apts:
The width of Queen's Victoria's Bedroom combined with the King's Gallery equals approximately 115 feet.
The length of Queen's Victoria's Bedroom combined with the Ante Room equals 40 feet.
115 feet wide X 40 feet deep

Apt 1A: Total 31592 square feet
130 feet wide X 40 feet deep
Total 5200 square feet per floor X 4 floors.
Total 20800 square feet.

The original drawing shows Apt 1A as T shaped.
The top of the 'T' area is 19 feet wide X 142 feet long.
Total 2698 square feet per floor X 4 floors
Total square feet 10792

Total square feet for Apt 1A equals 31592 square feet.

Clarence House: Total 16704 square feet.
48 feet wide X 64 feet deep. (excluding the garden room)
The garden room is 26 feet wide X 20'6
Clarence might also include 2 small room across the horse corridor. If Clarence has been modified to include these rooms, it will measure:
74 feet wide X 64 feet deep excluding the large 'L' shaped open area.
Total per floor 4176. This includes the garden room & the 2 rooms & any hallways.
Total 16704 square feet.

Another way to compare is to count the number of windows.
Kensington Palace Apt 1A has 14 windows in the front.
Clarence House has 7 in the front and 9 on the side.
The top of the 'T' section of Apt 1A might be the staff offices.
Clarence House totals includes the staff offices.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:41 PM
Royal Highness

I added up the square feet of each townhome & place the information under Camibridge residence.

Summary:
Clarence House: 16704
Cambridge Apt 1A: 31592

William and his staff need nearly twice the square footage of Charles and his staff.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:00 PM
Serene Highness

How has this thread come to be reduced to the square footage of the Princes respective residences ?

I hardly think these are considerations uppermost in the Queens mind when SHE makes these decisions...
Old 07-17-2014, 07:32 PM
Royal Highness

Because what is next for William is to increase his royal duties in relation to the size of his London townhome.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
How has this thread come to be reduced to the square footage of the Princes respective residences ?

I hardly think these are considerations uppermost in the Queens mind when SHE makes these decisions...
Maybe calculating for a contact to re-decorate?

There is a thread for Cambridge Residences' Perhaps a Mod could move this?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-17-2014, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

At this rate we'll end up discussing quantity, size and colour of toilet paper at Kensington Palace in comparison with brand, absorption and sheets-per-roll of kitchen towels at Clarence House......
Old 07-17-2014, 07:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Just love it.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-17-2014, 08:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Because what is next for William is to increase his royal duties in relation to the size of his London townhome.

Then maybe you should direct your anger toward the Queen.

How many times does the obvious have to be repeated? The Queen controls the monarchy and the properties and the titles and the duties and everything else. We've seen no indication that she disapproves of William or Catherine. In fact, we've seen much the opposite, with the international events they're being allowed to do, the body language of the Queen toward them, etc.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I just want to say that as Americans, we have no reason to set the standards for appearance per sq ft of residence in another country.

And I think if you brought this measurement concept up to the Duke of Edinburgh, he would chuckle. I think if you surfaced the metric with the queen that you would get her "we are not amused" look.

These are people that make public appearances who sometimes don't even bother to announce where they will be or where they have been with accuracy. As far as they are concerned they are THE BENCHMARK for royal excellence. I tend to agree. But as an American, I think all I can share is a wish for something else, not a demand.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
At this rate we'll end up discussing quantity, size and colour of toilet paper at Kensington Palace in comparison with brand, absorption and sheets-per-roll of kitchen towels at Clarence House......
Old 07-18-2014, 02:03 AM
Royal Highness

At the time of William & Kate's wedding, the Queen offered them a suite of rooms in BP. Charles offered them a suite of rooms in CH.

William and Kate selected the larger 1500 square feet 2 story detached single family residence with a garden. (Nottingham Cottage) If was not offered to them but selected by them.

When baby came along, again there were presented with options and they chose the larger house with the garden.

The ground floor and the gardens of Clarence House are opened to public.

The ground floor and gardens of Apt 1A are not opened to the public since selected as the residence of W&K.

There was a fuss over the Michaels not paying the going rate for their KP place. Diana when she tried to drop her charities was told to pay rent.

William & Kate are expected to pay for their London home by working for the firm.

The end results is the number of engagements. The public will not tolerate consistently low numbers from William while residing in government housing.

The Queen was happy supporting the Michaels but the public was not.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:29 AM
Serene Highness

I assume you, Queen Camilla are a 'realtor' ?

Nothing else explains this emphasis on square footage. a concept that isn't used in the UK property market, an would be completely baffling to HMQ, who MAKES THESE DECISIONS...
Old 07-19-2014, 08:40 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I added up the square feet of each townhome & place the information under Camibridge residence.

Summary:
Clarence House: 16704
Cambridge Apt 1A: 31592

William and his staff need nearly twice the square footage of Charles and his staff.
Where did you get this information from? CH must be a lot more than 16,000 sq ft.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:53 AM
Majesty

Quote:
At the time of William & Kate's wedding, the Queen offered them a suite of rooms in BP. Charles offered them a suite of rooms in CH.

William and Kate selected the larger 1500 square feet 2 story detached single family residence with a garden. (Nottingham Cottage) If was not offered to them but selected by them.
Is that a statement of fact or an assumption? Was a public statement made that indicated that what they chose was not offered to them? How else did they get it?

Was the full list of the potential options ever made public?

Quote:
When baby came along, again there were presented with options and they chose the larger house with the garden.
When they moved to Nott Cott, it was announced that it was for a transitional period only, till their permanent home was ready. If I am not mistaken, the full list of the potential options was never made public.

Quote:
The ground floor and the gardens of Clarence House are opened to public.

The ground floor and gardens of Apt 1A are not opened to the public since selected as the residence of W&K.
Apt 1A have NEVER been open to the paying public on an on-going basis, either when it was Margaret's home or after that. Parts of KP were, and remain open to the public, just as Clarence House is.

Quote:
There was a fuss over the Michaels not paying the going rate for their KP place. Diana when she tried to drop her charities was told to pay rent.

William & Kate are expected to pay for their London home by working for the firm.

The end results is the number of engagements. The public will not tolerate consistently low numbers from William while residing in government housing.

The Queen was happy supporting the Michaels but the public was not.
That is just factually incorrect. Diana was still married to Charles, albeit she was separated at the time of her grand announcement in late 1993 that she was withdrawing from public duties. Her office and expenses were entirely funded by the Prince of Wales at the time, and if rent for Diana's apartment at KP was to be an issue, Charles would have had to fund it. Diana returned to public duties as she did not want to retreat from the limelight, despite her protestations to the contrary.

Quote:
By whom? Other than a few posters on some forums, I don't think this is considered a real live issue in the UK today.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:24 PM
Royal Highness

Shadows of a Princess by Patrick Jephson is where Diana was told to pay for KP if she quit her charities.

Yes, William & Kate were given an option of housing.
A spokesman for the couple confirmed that Princess Margaret's former home is 'one of the options' being considered for their London home.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-grounds.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...rmer-home.html

After Margaret's death, the gardens & some of the rooms at A1 were opened to the public.

The architectural drawings are accurate. They give the dimensions of the rooms.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well, they might need the space. Maybe they want 20 kids like the Duggars. Kate can do up that tater tot casserole and the older princesses can mind the little ones.

Might be nice if their names all start with "G"... Gracie has a nice ring to it.