The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal Residences

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-11-2014, 10:39 PM
Royal Highness

There are also asbestos in Buckingham Palace, they removed it in the basement.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:33 AM
Royal Highness

This is exactly why people are disappointed with William and Catherine.
The KP townhome (Apt 1A) befits a full time royal.

Nottingham Cottage is ample enough for William, Kate & George as part time royals.

At age 18, William was given a 3 bedroom cottage on the Balmoral estate.
None of the Queen's children nor grandchildren except William received separate accommodations at Balmoral.

The 3 bedroom cottage is rumored to be considered too small by William who wants a larger piece of property at Balmoral.

Anmer House was vacated so William and Catherine can have a private residence on the Sandringham estate. Again no other member of the family, not even Prince Charles, received separate housing on the Sandringham estate.

The remodeling of several large houses for part time royals does not sit well with most people especially those who work for living.

William's need for his own space while not paying for them also does not sit well with most people.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

William was given the house on the Balmoral estate because he was going to go to university at St Andrews so he would have a place of his own for weekends and other times he wanted to get away from university.

Charles didn't need a home on the Sandringham estate as he had Highgrove - and remember that he, like Andrew, both served in the navy so were at sea for months at a time. He also attended Cambridge university which is not that far from Sandringham if he wanted somewhere to go for weekends away from London. Same for Edward.

William hasn't been given homes on his grandmother's estate - not new homes or homes that belong to the Crown Estates such as Anne (new - Gatcombe), Edward (CE - Bagshot) and Andrew with (new - Sunninghill and then CE - Royal Lodge).

If William and Kate were to stay in Nott Cott - where would their staff stay for one thing? And what about Harry? He lives there now so he would have to be found somewhere else.

Apartment 1A, or somewhere else was always going to be needed for one of the princes so better now than in 10 years time when costs would go up again.

William and Kate don't do a lot of engagements, but he is also only the second in line to the throne and probably has another 25 - 30 years to wait for the top job. Being second in line to the throne and married with a family does mean a certain level of housing is needed - to maintain his standing in society.

Going on past precedence the next time KP will be renovated will be when he becomes King, unless he moves into CH when his father becomes King.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Nott Cottage is 2 bedrooms. So that would be one for WK and one for George. Where does the nanny stay on the sofa?

I love how a man who willing risked his life by flying a helicopter in dangerous conditions in Snowdonia is called work shy. So if he takes a full time job helping people as the air ambulance pilot that isn't okay but he should become a professional plaque unveiler/tree planter instead?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-14-2014, 08:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Do we know for sure he isn't paying for it (or Charles isn't)?

LaRae
Old 07-14-2014, 11:35 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Do we know for sure he isn't paying for it (or Charles isn't)?

LaRae
When you really think about it, we've heard how William and Kate are financing the things that go into Apt. 1A from the carpet to the drapes and such. What isn't normally realized is that they are spending their own (or perhaps with a little help from Dad) money on a residence that they will never own. They are not being given the apartment as in handed the deed to the place but rather are granted the use of Apt. 1A. Its the same thing with Anmer Hall.

Most people I know that rent an apartment or a house look to the landlord should something go wrong with the domicile such as a leaky roof, malfunctioning heating/cooling system but yet realize that whatever funds they privately put into making the place more comfortable for them are being done to furnish someone else's property.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-14-2014, 01:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
This is exactly why people are disappointed with William and Catherine.
The KP townhome (Apt 1A) befits a full time royal.

Nottingham Cottage is ample enough for William, Kate & George as part time royals.

At age 18, William was given a 3 bedroom cottage on the Balmoral estate.
None of the Queen's children nor grandchildren except William received separate accommodations at Balmoral.

The 3 bedroom cottage is rumored to be considered too small by William who wants a larger piece of property at Balmoral.

Anmer House was vacated so William and Catherine can have a private residence on the Sandringham estate. Again no other member of the family, not even Prince Charles, received separate housing on the Sandringham estate.

The remodeling of several large houses for part time royals does not sit well with most people especially those who work for living.

William's need for his own space while not paying for them also does not sit well with most people.
The Queen is just facing the reality of the present situation. Not since Queen Victoria's time have we had an adult heir to the heir.

Balmoral and Sandringham will belong to Charles one day and then William. William doesn't need to "earn" either estate.

Again why would she give her other children or grandchildren something that they aren't entitled to anyway?

Since Victoria both estates have gone to the next monarch through inheritance.

The Queen and Charles are just providing William some land and houses now that will belong to him outright anyway in the future.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:03 PM
Aristocracy

Balmoral and Sandringham belong to the monarch to do with as she wants.

If she wants to give a house on the estate to William and Katherine or to a long-time employee or to anyone else, it is her right. And unless we are one of her children or grandchildren or security responsible for protecting the royal family, it is really none of our business what she does with her personal property.

If Catherine was to carry the same number of engagements as Princess Anne, the media would be complaining what a horrible mother she was.
Much of this is being promoted by the media who want 24/7 access to the Duke and Duchess to sell their papers and magazines.

If the Queen or Prince Charles feel that either should be doing more, they will let them know.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

It sounds like the apartments at KP are much like a condominium. Residents take care of the interiors while the state manages the maintenance, repairs and refurbishing of the exterior, infrastructure and grounds of the historic building.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
It sounds like the apartments at KP are much like a condominium. Residents take care of the interiors while the state manages the maintenance, repairs and refurbishing of the exterior, infrastructure and grounds of the historic building.
That certainly might be a way to describe the arrangement: the KP condo!
Old 07-14-2014, 06:21 PM
Royal Highness

Charles didn't purchase Highgrove until 1980. From 1966, until then, he stayed with his parents when not in school or the military.

If Charles did not have a place of his own at Sandringham nor at Balmoral prior to his grandmother's death then giving William a cottage at Balmoral when he was only 18 years old and now Anmer house is wrong.

William and Kate do not need live in staff. They did not have staff when they lived in Wales. George has not been left alone overnight with a nanny while they work except for Australia/New Zealand so a live-in is not needed.

Harry could have stayed at CH. If Charles can live with his mother until he was married so can Harry. With W&K at Nottingham Cottage, Harry had the entire upper floor of CH to himself.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:05 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One thing about the estates of Sandringham and Balmoral, there are other residences besides the "big house" on the estate. I think William's use of a cottage at Balmoral was more or less that it was available for him to use should he want to. That's not to say that the domicile was primarily only William's and only William ever used it. With the amount of visitors that the Queen has when she is in residence, it always helps to keep the smaller homes and cottages in shape should they be needed.

I think a good comparison for William and Kate using Anmer Hall could be looking at where Diana was raised. I believe her childhood home was Park House (or something similar) on the Sandringham estate. There is also another cottage that I can't remember the name of where Sarah would stay to be close with her daughters over the Christmas holidays without actually staying at the Big House with the immediate royal family.

The sweet thing about these residences on the estates is that they don't stand empty and are used.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-14-2014, 07:25 PM
Royal Highness

Sandringham Estates has 150 residential, commercial and agricultural properties on the estate.

Balmoral (based on my research) has at least 45 cottages included are those that can be rented by the general public.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Charles didn't purchase Highgrove until 1980. From 1966, until then, he stayed with his parents when not in school or the military.

If Charles did not have a place of his own at Sandringham nor at Balmoral prior to his grandmother's death then giving William a cottage at Balmoral when he was only 18 years old and now Anmer house is wrong.

William and Kate do not need live in staff. They did not have staff when they lived in Wales. George has not been left alone overnight with a nanny while they work except for Australia/New Zealand so a live-in is not needed.

Harry could have stayed at CH. If Charles can live with his mother until he was married so can Harry. With W&K at Nottingham Cottage, Harry had the entire upper floor of CH to himself.
I am not sure I get your point. How does it bother us if William has been allocated properties on the Balmoral and Sandringham estates? They are private properties, and HM is entitled to do what she wants with them. We also do not know for sure if he still uses the cottage on the Balmoral estate. He is meant to use Birkhall a reasonable amount as well now. Also, not that William and Catherine are establishing their base in London, Anmer can be their weekend retreat - quite like Charles, aged 32, acquired Balmoral, and Anne got Gotcombe.

Why should William live in Nott Cott? Why should William and Catherine not have the staff they want? We are not paying for the staff, they / the Duchy of Cornwall are. And why must Harry be made to stay at CH? He is nearly 30 and is entitled to his own home.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:43 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I am not sure I get your point. How does it bother us if William has been allocated properties on the Balmoral and Sandringham estates? They are private properties, and HM is entitled to do what she wants with them. We also do not know for sure if he still uses the cottage on the Balmoral estate. He is meant to use Birkhall a reasonable amount as well now. Also, not that William and Catherine are establishing their base in London, Anmer can be their weekend retreat - quite like Charles, aged 32, acquired Balmoral, and Anne got Gotcombe.

Why should William live in Nott Cott? Why should William and Catherine not have the staff they want? We are not paying for the staff, they / the Duchy of Cornwall are. And why must Harry be made to stay at CH? He is nearly 30 and is entitled to his own home.
I was responding to Iluvbertie's reply to my post.

I was comparing Charles to William.

Entitled is exactly the reason why William has an image problem.

Why is Harry entitled to have his own home, if his father at the same age was living with his mother? IIRC, Charles remained at BP until 1982 when KP was completed. I do not know if William had been born before or after they moved into KP. Charles was nearly 32 when he bought Highgrove. He was the heir.

The difference between Charles & William is Charles is the heir.
It is not just the position. Prince Charles uses Clarence House for meeting with his charities and foreign leaders. Charles' residence is also his place of business. He also used KP for the same reason. Not sure if Highgrove is used for meetings.

William's London townhome is only a private residence and is not used for meetings with world leaders.

Charles was already a full time royal when he was given a London townhome.
William is only part time and already has a London townhome.

(I personally hope Anmer House is for Princess Anne & her family but with the configuration of the driveway for security purposes it looks like William has bagged another residence.)
Old 07-15-2014, 08:11 AM
Majesty

So what if William is not the heir at the moment. There is also no question that William and Catherine will be soon be full time royals and increase the number of royal engagements they undertake, as they already have over the last year or so.

Also, whilst William is not the heir at the moment, there is no doubt that in a few years time he will be the heir. And even though he is not the heir, they do have a much higher profile than a lot of other second in lines to the throne. Not many other people in their positions have the Obama's requesting time with!

In all likelihood, KP will be their home till he is King. Makes far more sense to provide them with a suitable family house now, that they will use for the next 20-25 years than have multiple house moves.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:49 AM
Nobility

Quote:
The difference between Charles & William is Charles is the heir. It is not just the position. Prince Charles uses Clarence House for meeting with his charities and foreign leaders. Charles' residence is also his place of business. He also used KP for the same reason. Not sure if Highgrove is used for meetings.

William's London townhome is only a private residence and is not used for meetings with world leaders.
If by referring to a "townhome", you mean Apt. 1A, it is comprised of four floors. On the floors are conference rooms, reception rooms, rooms that can be used for social settings, an industrial-sized kitchen for catering, offices, etc., in addition to the requisite living quarters. The Cambridges are not in a position to entertain world leaders right now, but they will be in the future.

Cindy
Old 07-15-2014, 09:06 AM
Heir Apparent

The Cambridges and Harry's staff is at Kensington Palace so it is their place of business too and probably the reason Harry moved to KP.

Charles does not actually own any homes personally. Highgrove and the house in Wales are own by the Duchy of Cornwall, Birkhall is part of the Queen's Balmoral estate.

William did the same thing as Charles did. He stayed with his parent until he got married and then moved out. Harry moved into a staff apartment at KP and then Nott Cottage. You know who used to live at Nott Cottage - Marion Crawford who was the teacher for Princess Elizabeth and Margaret . It isn't some lavish palace.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-15-2014, 09:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

I do think the Cambridge's will be meeting with world leaders and hosting official events in their home since it's their official London residence. The same as Charles and Camilla are doing at Clarence House, is the same William & Catherine will do at Kensington Palace.

William & Catherine will be based at Kensington Palace until they come to the throne, God's willing. So it's now their own official headquarters.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-15-2014, 12:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

I read that piece of history recently. I also read that the ceilings are low and that William had to watch his head.