The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal Residences

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-27-2014, 08:18 AM
Serene Highness

It doesn't necessarily mean a long wait. The queen is 88, Philip is 93 so in 5 years, that is 93 and 98. William as the heir apparent isn't that far away. Also the Danish queen is more closer to Charles age wise than the Queen. As next in line, Charles is in the same position as a couple of little girls in Spain and Holland but that doesn't really mean anything.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:33 AM
Heir Apparent

I dont read the DM so my perspective on the refurbishment is that the Uk media has moved on, and that it barely made the news anyway.

so basically it seems that one rabid newspaper and a number of bonkers journos who work for it is making waves.

It does generate a lot of posts but it also needs to be put in perspective

PS I look at all papers except DM and The Star (more than tacky) most days.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-29-2014, 02:38 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Ripped out... the gleaming £38,000 kitchen that the Duchess of Cambridge and Prince William didn't want | Mail Online
Old 06-29-2014, 09:08 AM
Serene Highness

Why would you want wood countertops like that it would hard to clean. Granite would be easier to take care of. Didn't the people who used to live there have a wood business or something? They probably did it over to use as advertisement and 38k is the retail not the actual cost. It's the Queen's house and what is being done is private money so the DM is just riling up the crazy commenters. In an austerity age, you need people to spend private money by buying thing and employing people to do things like renovate homes.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:25 AM
Courtier

Six years of wear and tear is quite a lot, and kitchens do age badly. People these days are reluctant to live with other peoples choice of decoration [which is what design companies thrive on, and encourage], so the removal of the previous tenants kitchen is in no way unusual.

Indeed i have known people rip out every plant, shrub and tree from a mature garden, and replace them with [fully mature] choices of their own...

Such is the nature of consumer capitalism, and as Skippyboo says.. it provides work for many, many people.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:24 AM
Courtier

I really don't get the Daily Mail a paper of the establishment yet write articles like that. Quite frankly it's none of the DM business what they do with private funds on the Queens private estate.

These nasty articles need to stop.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:18 PM
Majesty

Prince William and Kate bid to create no-fly zone over new country home:
THE Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have complained to the Civil Aviation Authority in an effort to create a no-fly zone over their new country home and stop aerial photographs being taken-
Duke and Duchess complain to Civil Aviation Authority to create no-fly zone over new home | Royal | News | Daily Express

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-11-2014, 02:35 PM
Nobility

I realise Anmer Hall is a privately owned residence and that all costs have been met privately, but I hope the Cambridges realise how lucky they are to have £1.5m spent on refurbishing their home, and that most people don't earn this much money in an entire lifetime.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:04 PM
Serene Highness

Most people can walk down the street without being noticed and constantly photographed so it is a trade off.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-11-2014, 04:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
I realise Anmer Hall is a privately owned residence and that all costs have been met privately, but I hope the Cambridges realise how lucky they are to have £1.5m spent on refurbishing their home, and that most people don't earn this much money in an entire lifetime.
I think they do but you only seem to respond in terms of money. For clarity. This house is PRIVATELY owned by the Queen and she has paid PRIVATELY for the refurb. No public money has been spent.

When off duty they wish for privacy - that is not unfair and has nothing to do with cost. This action is being prompted to ensure that once they are there, they are not buzzed by low flying planes.

Bear in mind that Anmer is in a village, and the other inhabitants need to be considered as well.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I think they do but you only seem to respond in terms of money. For clarity. This house is PRIVATELY owned by the Queen and she has paid PRIVATELY for the refurb. No public money has been spent.
Yes I realise that Anmer is privately owned and has been privately paid for which is why I wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
My point is that I hope they actually realise how extremely fortunate they are in contrast the majority of people they will one day reign over.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

From the Express

Duke and Duchess complain to Civil Aviation Authority to create no-fly zone over new home | Royal | News | Daily Express
Old 07-11-2014, 06:36 PM
Nobility

I can't see this being enforced. Even the occupied royal palaces don't have this.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:08 PM
Nobility

Not at under 500 feet in open countryside or 1000 feet from the top of a building.

The Sandringham Estate compliant is against a plane they say was flying dangerously and under 500 feet.

If true I hope the pilot is jailed
Old 07-11-2014, 07:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Last year when Catherine and William stayed with her parents after the birth of George, the Thames Valley Police applied for and were granted a no-fly zone over Bucklebury for the period of their stay.

I hope they are granted this for Anmer

Old 07-11-2014, 08:31 PM
Majesty

As The Queen and Philip don't have one over Windsor Castle - under the flight path to Heathrow - why should William and Kate get one?
Old 07-11-2014, 08:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
As The Queen and Philip don't have one over Windsor Castle - under the flight path to Heathrow - why should William and Kate get one?
The flight path over Windsor is a designated flight path for commercial aircraft. That is not small aircraft operating at 500 ft. Frankly under 500 ft and they would be in danger of hitting theTower. If that was a problem then you know as well as I do the monarch would have a restriction.

there is obviously an issue that william is taking pre-emptive action.

Be realistic, no one will make money out of candid HMQ in the same way as they did over the candids in Aus with k/G playing in the garden.

This is a privacy but also a security issue.

they need privacy when not on official duties. I support this

Ps I lived close to Windsor for many yrs so have 1st hand knowledge of the awful flight path.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Serene Highness

Their apartment is the same one as Princess Margaret used? To think that poor Margaret lived with an asbestos lined apartment! Well, I suppose it was probably sufficiently enclosed so as to not poison Margaret. But if they are removing it now, it must be considered some kind of threat? Asbestos, if tightly contained, is not terribly toxic unless it burns. In an fire such as I was in in Los Alamos in 2000, many old condominiums which were asbestos filled (in the basements) burned. This created a toxic stew which was not safe for a couple of years, although people did come back to live there. If the asbestos was not carefully contained, it could have contributed to Princess Margaret's health problems.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:20 PM
Nobility

I agree with cepe.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
Their apartment is the same one as Princess Margaret used? To think that poor Margaret lived with an asbestos lined apartment! Well, I suppose it was probably sufficiently enclosed so as to not poison Margaret. But if they are removing it now, it must be considered some kind of threat? Asbestos, if tightly contained, is not terribly toxic unless it burns. In an fire such as I was in in Los Alamos in 2000, many old condominiums which were asbestos filled (in the basements) burned. This created a toxic stew which was not safe for a couple of years, although people did come back to live there. If the asbestos was not carefully contained, it could have contributed to Princess Margaret's health problems.
Asbestos when in a form that creates surfaces (as in Guildford Cathedral ) is not harmful. The issue arises when it deteriorates and crumbles. The fabric becomes dust-like and when inhaled can cause long-term breathing issues (asbestiosis). If left alone there are no issues but the potential problems are enormous and therefore the removal of the material is recommended. As soon as the surface is damaged (needed to remove) then the problems start and so does the expense. Controled removal under supervision is required.

Margaret would not have been affected by it unless it was damaged in some way. Given the required restoration, I believe this is unlikely.

Here is a link to the issues facing Guildford Cathedral
https://www.guildford-cathedral.org/support/appeal