Wales Residences: Kensington Palace, Adelaide Cottage & Anmer Hall

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: Majesty Magazine and Victoria Arbiter have said that it is. Can't imagine where else it would be with those paintings on the wall.

The paintings provide a nice connection to William and George.

HRH Prince Adolphus, Duke of Cambridge -
HRH Princess Mary Adelaide -
Mary of Teck (Queen Mary) -
HM King George VI -
HM Queen Elizabeth II -
HRH The Prince of Wales -
HRH the Duke of Cambridge -
HRH Prince George of Cambridge

I'm so glad that, from what we can see, they've very sympathetically rejuvenated their apartment at KP and haven't followed the example of Frederik and Mary of Denmark. What a mess they made of that lovely palace in Copenhagen.

Last edited:
I'm so glad that, from what we can see, they've very sympathetically rejuvenated their apartment at KP and haven't followed the example of Frederik and Mary of Denmark. What a mess they made of that lovely palace in Copenhagen.

out of topic but i dont think they made a mess out of it.
very modern and beautiful
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_JiP5gn_rIac/S6dQiiPvQpI/AAAAAAAABmA/aZJCiMY0f7U/s400/8.JPG

love that they included Modern Danish art and artist
http://dinesen.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Journal-Amalienborg-Slot_07.jpg
the world map is my favorite, lovely contrast to the floors
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...QuuA_Qy6gYSu6awEQshPq51un1KplOHeYNPUqqofzS9AL :flowers:

back to topic
i love the desk and miniature palace on it
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/11/17/1416223328304_wps_3_dmvidpics_2014_11_17_at_1.jpg

This is where tastes differ greatly and where I get confused with what I like, because I like the way William and Catherine seem to have decorated Kensington Palace (although we cannot know whether there might be a ghastly mural on the wall opposite), but I also like the boldness of Frederik and Mary's home at Amelienborg.

I've lived in my house for 5 years and have a wall covered in different tester paints because I cannot make up my mind on colour - maybe I should leave it as it is and pretend it is meant to represent some kind of British/Danish collage of eclectic ideas - no one would ever know!

If the various reports are true, The Queen gave William and Kate access to the Royal Collection so with 21 rooms to decorate I imagine their 'apartment' is quite impressive.

If the various reports are true, The Queen gave William and Kate access to the Royal Collection so with 21 rooms to decorate I imagine their 'apartment' is quite impressive.

Oh, now *that* makes me so jealous.

I've lived in my house for 5 years and have a wall covered in different tester paints because I cannot make up my mind on colour - maybe I should leave it as it is and pretend it is meant to represent some kind of British/Danish collage of eclectic ideas - no one would ever know!

I so know how that feels. My big dream is my living room in dark grey but I don’t have the guts. So I’ve picked out a very soft pink (middleton pink :D) and I can’t make up my mind when it comes to my hallway. Paint or wallpaper and if paint, which colour... Aarrggghh. :ermm:

I so know how that feels. My big dream is my living room in dark grey but I don’t have the guts. So I’ve picked out a very soft pink (middleton pink :D) and I can’t make up my mind when it comes to my hallway. Paint or wallpaper and if paint, which colour... Aarrggghh. :ermm:

dark grey can be so rich looking, especially if you accent and trim moldings with a crisp white.

I think Frederick and Mary's refurbs work in the more PUBLIC rooms of the Amalienborg, because they are not rooms to be lived in, but to receive in.. they will be animated by the art and bold colour, and give life and 'joie de vivre' to receptions and audiences that might otherwise be rather staid and awkward..

They are not rooms to sit and read a newspaper, or cogitate it.. as one might in William & Catherine's..

Last edited:
dark grey can be so rich looking, especially if you accent and trim moldings with a crisp white.

It’s also really dark. I’m afraid a bit too dark. I’m afraid I’m too chicken to try this out.

During my quest for the perfect colour I searched online for Farrow and Ball’s “Middleton Pink” and every time I did I got I don’t even know how many photo’s of Kate Middleton wearing pink. :ermm:

I think Frederick and Mary's refurbs work in the more PUBLIC rooms of the Amialienberg, because they are not rooms to be lived in, but to receive in.. they will animated by the art and bold colour, and give life and 'joie de vivre' to receptions and audiences that might otherwise be rather staid and awkward..

They are not rooms to sit and read a newspaper, or cogitate it.. as one might in William & Catherine's..

I also wonder about which way the Cambridge's apartment faces as it may need a lighter colour if it faces, say east or north and more neutral furnishings. Amelienborg always struck me as being very light and airy and so darker more bolder colours and art will work well.

Grey is the very popular now and I think it is a great shade to have on walls provided the flooring is quite light to reflect light upwards, and there are plenty of bright pictures and light furnishings.

The room in the video seems like a more formal sitting room or study. It definitely not a George friendly room and I would think William's working office would be more personalized. There are no photos on the table in this room and the Horse Guards Desk isn't computer friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I do not think the video was shot inside the Cambridge actual residence.
I think it was shot in a conference room or an office in KP.

Are there any indications of by when Anmer is expected to be ready?

Are there any indications of by when Anmer is expected to be ready?

I think it's been said on twitter that the house is ready and they've moved in or getting ready to do so.

Kate was spotted yesterday in Norfolk (Pics are on general news thread)... and there was a tweet saying that she has been staying there for a week now while William was in London...

Kate was spotted yesterday in Norfolk (Pics are on general news thread)... and there was a tweet saying that she has been staying there for a week now while William was in London...

It may well be that Anmer is not quite ready but they are spending time on the estate (probably staying at another cottage) getting the last bits done.

It is also very the shooting season, so it is quite possible William (and others) are spending their free time on shoots on the Sandringham estate

I wonder if any of the other grandchildren ever feel left out of the housing give away. Zara and Mike live on Anne's property. Don't know about Peter and Autumn. And of course James and Louise are still with their parents. But William someday will inherit vast tracts of land where the others will receive less, if anything. Perhaps they want to maintain their independence since they don't perform royal duties much. But receiving a home would be a real benefit since they also don't receive an income from royal funds. (Apologies if I'm wrong in this presumption,)

I wonder if any of the other grandchildren ever feel left out of the housing give away. Zara and Mike live on Anne's property. Don't know about Peter and Autumn. And of course James and Louise are still with their parents. But William someday will inherit vast tracts of land where the others will receive less, if anything. Perhaps they want to maintain their independence since they don't perform royal duties much. But receiving a home would be a real benefit since they also don't receive an income from royal funds. (Apologies if I'm wrong in this presumption,)

That's just the way it is.

I am sure the Queen will have created trust funds for each of her grand children. William, relative to his cousins, will probably receive the smallest inheritance from HM and the DoE, just as, I presume, he will receive less from his father than will Harry. This will be to allow for the fact that the Duchy of Corwnall will fund William's lifestyle, as the heir to the throne.

Similarly, I presume, of his siblings, Charles will probably have received the least amount of money from his parents, as the Duchy of Cornwall is funding his lifestyle now, and the Duchy of Lancaster will fund it subsequent to his accession.

However, it must also be remembered that anything Charles inherits from his mother is free of death duties but anything she leaves to the others will have to pay death duties - so the usual practice is to set the younger siblings up during the monarch's reign and then leave the bulk of the estate to the new monarch - to keep all the wealth in the family.

Rocketmom,
Mike said that Peter & Autumn live on the Gatcombe Estate and Savannah & Isla come to the Tindall house to ride the Tindall ponies.

I agree with you, the other children/grandchildren must feel left out. Princess Anne has hinted about the unfairness of it. PA sighed 'You get used to it.' (TV interviews possibly during Queen & Country.)

IMO, the Queen should give each of her adult children/grandchildren a home on her private estates to use during their lifetime. (Except Charles & William as they will move into Balmoral/Birkhall/Sandringham. William & Charles can continue to pay the bills when they inherit the estates.)

IMO, the Queen should have given her children a house on the estates as a birthday gift in the year when the first grandchildren is age 10.

Princess Anne & her family should have received Amner Hall & Craig Gowan Lodge. (1987)

Andrew: York Cottage & Carse Cottages (1998)
Edward: Wood Farm & Ivy Cottages (2013)
Charles: Delnadamph Lodge then Birkhall none on the Sandringham estate

This is just a sample suggestion of property.

I am aware some of the cottages were leased or have been demolished but the same way Anmer became available so could the others. I think Craig Gowan and the cottages near it should have been kept for the family. The Queen can still stay at Craig Gowan until Balmoral is ready.

Princess Anne, Andrew, Edward and their children can still stay at Sandringham House during Christmas, if they wish.

The Queen can also lend her grandchildren a Balmoral/Sandringham Estate house for their lifetime. (except Wales family)

Last edited:
She doesnt give them property, she gives them money - £m's - in the form of trust funds. All 3 younger children had trusts set up; Gatcombe was bought for Anne; A house was bought for Andrew.

The properties on the private estates are leased in order to try and make the estates self-funding. Sandringham succeeds in that, and Balmoral runs at a loss.

What was proposed above goes against the grain of maintaining estates on a scale that at least gives the opportunity of being self-sufficient.

These people are brought up knowing this - it isnt sprung on them out of the blue.

The children of HMQ have £ms of their own.

As for Peter and Autumn - I think Peter will inherit the estate and provide a home on the estate for Mike and Zara. P&A have use of a house on the estate and have a home/base in London.

As for Anmer, I think that is HMQ's way of giving them a home in the country which will remains in the estate. This is a home for the 2nd in line - she is resolving an issue as there is this additional adult generation.

Last edited:
She doesnt give them property, she gives them money - £m's - in the form of trust funds. All 3 younger children had trusts set up; Gatcombe was bought for Anne; A house was bought for Andrew.

The properties on the private estates are leased in order to try and make the estates self-funding. Sandringham succeeds in that, and Balmoral runs at a loss.

What was proposed above goes against the grain of maintaining estates on a scale that at least gives the opportunity of being self-sufficient.

These people are brought up knowing this - it isnt sprung on them out of the blue.

The children of HMQ have £ms of their own.

As for Peter and Autumn - I think Peter will inherit the estate and provide a home on the estate for Mike and Zara. P&A have use of a house on the estate and have a home/base in London.

As for Anmer, I think that is HMQ's way of giving them a home in the country which will remains in the estate. This is a home for the 2nd in line - she is resolving an issue as there is this additional adult generation.

I completely agree! HM's children have all been provided for a country home and city apt at either BP or SJP. and they have full access to the estates if they want to entertain or spend extended time. they have all been raised with the concept of primogeniture.

As for Peter and Zara - IIRC part of the settlement of Mark and Anne's divorce - Mark was given the neighboring estate, Aston Farm that they had acquired during their marriage. But that it was his to use in his lifetime, but then it would go to Peter and Zara - his to use, but not to sell; so I assume Aston would go to Peter and Gatcombe to Zara (or vise versa). hopefully someone else has more to add on that... my memory is a bit foggy.

Rocketmom,

IMO, the Queen should give each of her adult children/grandchildren a home on her private estates to use during their lifetime. (Except Charles & William as they will move into Balmoral/Birkhall/Sandringham. William & Charles can continue to pay the bills when they inherit the estates.)

The private estates are Sandringham and Balmoral.

So what you are suggesting is that The Queen should give her younger children a house on these estates for their lifetimes.

Problem with that is that means that she would by tying the hands of her direct heirs.

Maybe Charles and/or William wouldn't want Andrew, Edward or Anne living on their estates and that is what it would mean if The Queen gave them property on her private estates as those estates will be left to Charles and then to William.

That is why giving William Anmer Hall to William is possible as he will eventually own the estate on which Anmer Hall stands but given any of the others a house on the estates isn't possible.

Anne has stated that Gatcombe is held in trust so it will be up to her children who lives there.

I also think that it would be a bad idea to give more family members rent free homes as this will mean a lot of rental income is lost which is needed to make the estates viable.

Consideration may need to be given to the future residences of Beatrice and Eugenie though as it may not be secure for them to live in private houses.

Last edited:
I didn't know that the Duchess of Cambridge got a Nutribullet when she did her kitchens.

Today, in the daily ad/demo for this product on morning TV in Australia, they showed the Daily Mail article where it says she has one - in silver - as part of their sales pitch to us viewers.

Now, will I get one? And will I have to have the silver version too? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom