The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal Residences

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-17-2014, 01:03 PM
Courtier

I object against the use of WAG (=wives and girlfriends) which is a derogatory term, no matter for whom it is used. A newspaper using these terms is already low in my esteem.

The Daily Mail really has a vitriolic undertone, painting Prince Harry as a binge-drinking, celebbie-surrounding, ever-partying royal. Or Catherine as a taxpayer-swallowing by accident upgraded middle-class commoner.

The only good thing of the DM is their often extensive use of great pictures. But for the rest...

Old 05-19-2014, 05:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Personally, I have absolutely no problem with William and Catherine spending whatever they fancy on their home. It is a privately owned property, and no state funding is being used. The more they spend, the more employment and economic activity they generate, which can only be a good thing for the UK.

Nothing set out in the DM article seems particularly ostentatious or "WAG"- like to me. There are no shots of the interiors, so we have no idea how flashy it is. My sense is that as Anmer is unlikely to have a "public" role, it will probably be done up in quite a relaxed fashion, reflecting the modern lives they live.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:42 AM
Nobility

I echo you views, Muriel. They are as entitled [ as everyone is ] to fit out their home as they see fit..

I hope it is done with good taste, an example being Victoria and Daniels residence, at Haga.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Personally, I have absolutely no problem with William and Catherine spending whatever they fancy on their home. It is a privately owned property, and no state funding is being used. The more they spend, the more employment and economic activity they generate, which can only be a good thing for the UK.

Nothing set out in the DM article seems particularly ostentatious or "WAG"- like to me. There are no shots of the interiors, so we have no idea how flashy it is. My sense is that as Anmer is unlikely to have a "public" role, it will probably be done up in quite a relaxed fashion, reflecting the modern lives they live.
Very well stated and I agree with you completely.

I also am happy that they are doing all these repairs to Anmer Hall. Not only is it for the purposes of a country life for the Cambridge family but also preserve an estate that has been notable since the early 1800s.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

It occurs to me that we like seeing historic homes preserved; we just resent when people have the money to do it.
“The two important things I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavor is taking the first step, making the first decision"Robyn Davidson
Old 05-19-2014, 09:52 AM
Nobility

I don't resent it in the least..

There will always be people richer,more intelligent, better looking or more talented than ourselves, just as there will always be people with less than ourselves. It is the 'way of the world', always was and ever shall be...
Old 05-19-2014, 01:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

I for one am trilled when I read that an estate or grade I or II listed home is actually used for a private residence. These were built for families to live in. If I ever win the lottery, you can bet I'll be purchasing a country house that still has those older characteristics.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Its interesting that there has been no confirmation that the Cambridge's are taking on Anmer Hall. Its also interesting that they are taking on a property in Norfolk, and not the more traditional areas in the Cotswolds or the West Country where their parents live.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Does not the Queen own the entire Sandringham estate? What is the story behind the Cambridges having this house? Is HM lending them the house?If the house needed so much work (not counting the new dining room), I'm glad WillKat are moving in. It is a lovely place and if not lived in, will just go to ruin. Glad they (and their staff) will be adding some life to the old pile.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Does not the Queen own the entire Sandringham estate? What is the story behind the Cambridges having this house? Is HM lending them the house?If the house needed so much work (not counting the new dining room), I'm glad WillKat are moving in. It is a lovely place and if not lived in, will just go to ruin. Glad they (and their staff) will be adding some life to the old pile.
Indeed, the Queen does own the whole Sandringham estate privately.

My understanding is that the press picked up on the fact that the local council had approved certain renovations and building works at Anmer. Details of the proposed changes were not available for public viewing because of security issues, suggesting that a member of the BRF was planning to use the property.

This tied in with some previous stories in the press that the Queen had presented William with a home on the Sandringham estate. Nothing has been confirmed by the royal household, and I suspect they are unlikely to, as it is a private matter.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:06 PM
Royal Highness

@KittyAtlanta: I'm not sure the house needed that much work. The house was inhabited, the Queen asked the current tenants to leave. In any case, it's nice that these places get some new life from time to time.

@muriel: the location is indeed interesting, since most of their friends seem to be living in either the Costwolds or the West Country. I think the primary reason why Anmer was chosen is that it solves the Christmas problem, when, on one hand, they were expected to be with the royal family but, on the other hand, Kate wanted to be with her family where she can have a more relaxed time. A house in Sandringham estate allows them to be with the royals and still host the Middletons there.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:08 PM
Heir Apparent

I think this location is the best of both worlds and certainly solves the holiday dilemma. The roof had to be replaced last year and the couple is probably customizing the interior to their own taste.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:38 PM
Courtier

Can someone please explain what is a Grade II house?
Old 05-23-2014, 12:25 AM
Nobility

Grade I and grade II are listed buildings. Those are mainly historical buildings of special interest. Grade I are buildings of national interest (like Buckingham Palace) and grade II are of local interest.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Listed_building
Old 05-30-2014, 04:47 PM
Aristocracy

I am actually surprised the Queen let them have the use of such a big house, the loss of rent the house would have otherwise attracted would have been substantial.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
I am actually surprised the Queen let them have the use of such a big house, the loss of rent the house would have otherwise attracted would have been substantial.

Why? It's a house totally fitting for their status as senior royals- a much bigger consideration than lost rent
Old 05-30-2014, 05:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
The house is paid for and HM owns it. Her family can use it. Makes sense to me.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:30 AM
Courtier

I'd love to see photos of the renovations. Is that ever published?

Not sure why they call it Kate's palace. Is she the only one living in it? I know, perhaps she bought it!!
Your bill to refurbish Kate's palace now £4MILLION: New kitchen, nursery and several bathrooms quadruples the cost | Mail Online
Old 06-21-2014, 09:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
I'd love to see photos of the renovations. Is that ever published?

Not sure why they call it Kate's palace. Is she the only one living in it? I know, perhaps she bought it!!
Your bill to refurbish Kate's palace now £4MILLION: New kitchen, nursery and several bathrooms quadruples the cost | Mail Online
I love how the Daily Mail uses pictures from the state areas of the palace (which are open to the public year round) to reinforce the hatred.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I love how the Daily Mail uses pictures from the state areas of the palace (which are open to the public year round) to reinforce the hatred.
I noticed that too. I think the intent of that was to convince those that have no clue that there are other areas of KP besides Apt. 1A that are used for other various reasons that this is the elegance and extravagance that will be the Cambridge's apartment. Never mind that Wills and Kate are paying personally for just about everything that goes into the apartment. The taxpayers are paying for the repairs to the structure but lets not tell them that part. Wouldn't serve the purpose of inciting the public.

Should KP or any of the nation's historical building fall into such a state of disrepair that they are cited as being condemned or unsafe and had to be demolished, there'd be a big hue and cry that no one took care of them and their history is literally going down the drain.