The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal Residences

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-16-2013, 09:48 AM
Majesty

I was also wondering if they would keep it as a retreat? I think they are permanently leaving Anglesey.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-16-2013, 09:50 AM
Heir Apparent

They dont own it - it is rented. Why rent somewhere when they have anmer Hall and KP - eventually!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-16-2013, 10:16 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
They dont own it - it is rented. Why rent somewhere when they have anmer Hall and KP - eventually!
Aah, but Charles rents Highgrove despite having Birkhall and Clarence House.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
Just wondering if when William leaves the RAF, are they also permanently leaving their home in Anglesey? It would be a nice retreat for them if they keep it.
They were renting it, and they have other properties to retreat to, so it wouldn't make sense for them to keep it.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Heir Apparent

But it is his in effect because it is owned by the Duchy. He chose it initially.

William and Catherine could rent the place in Wales for as long as they like I suppose.. seems a waste to me when he could always stay in the Duchy's place in Wales.

First things first - they need a home of their own where they can properly establish the 3 of them as a family. LEts get KP sorted, then Anmer Hall - that is going to keep them busy.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
If I am not mistaken, whilst there has been no official confirmation that William and Catherine will get Anmer, the popular view seems to be that they are getting Anmer soon. Allowing for renovations, I suspect a redecorated Anmer should be available to them within a year, which will serve as their retreat / country home. Their "principal" home in KP will be ready in the next few months. The rented home in Wales is in a very remote location, and time consuming to get to, so I agree, there is no need for them to continue with it.

Quote:
Aah, but Charles rents Highgrove despite having Birkhall and Clarence House.
I am not sure of the point you are trying to make. Clarence House is C&C's principal London home, whilst Highrove is their main country home, which is used most weeks.

The Duchy of Cornwall owns Highgrove, so as the Duke, Charles gets to use it. I have no idea whether he pays the Duchy any rent, but if he does, it seems silly, as the income comes back to him from the Duchy!

Birkhall, in Aberdeenshire, is owned by the Queen, and is only used a few times a year.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
If I am not mistaken, whilst there has been no official confirmation that William and Catherine will get Anmer, the popular view seems to be that they are getting Anmer soon. Allowing for renovations, I suspect a redecorated Anmer should be available to them within a year, which will serve as their retreat / country home. Their "principal" home in KP will be ready in the next few months. The rented home in Wales is in a very remote location, and time consuming to get to, so I agree, there is no need for them to continue with it.

I am not sure of the point you are trying to make. Clarence House is C&C's principal London home, whilst Highrove is their main country home, which is used most weeks.

The Duchy of Cornwall owns Highgrove, so as the Duke, Charles gets to use it. I have no idea whether he pays the Duchy any rent, but if he does, it seems silly, as the income comes back to him from the Duchy!

Birkhall, in Aberdeenshire, is owned by the Queen, and is only used a few times a year.
I was answering Dmans post. - check back and you'll see

Old 08-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Majesty

I agree, I think the Cambridge's could stay at Llwynywermod. Whenever they go on official or private visits to Wales.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-16-2013, 10:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I agree, I think the Cambridge's could stay at Llwynywermod. Whenever they go on official or private visits to Wales.
Glad you got the name - escaped me entirely

Old 08-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Royal Highness

With regard to William and Catherine's rented home in Anglesey, I do hope they get the opportunity of taking Prince George there before they leave as it has meant alot to them being their first home together and it would be nice to take him there.

I also hope that when they leave Anglesey, we will be able to see what the place was like at last as i have always been intrigued!
Old 08-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Just wondering if when William leaves the RAF, are they also permanently leaving their home in Anglesey? It would be a nice retreat for them if they keep it.
I would imagine that as they're renting the cottage, they'd let it go. Perhaps in years to come they might consider buying a getaway place in Wales as they really seem to like it there.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
What was the reason for Princess Margaret's old apartment being left empty for ten years? If a new resident had been found (rent paying or not) would the building need such extensive renovation now?
I agree with Cepe - but I also think HMQEII and the royal property managers have always had long range thoughts about how all the parts move about. They knew that in 10 years or so the young royals would be setting up housekeeping, would need safe spaces and would benefit from some independence.

Had they done the reno 10 years ago and then used it for some temporary purpose, people would have been up in arms for the cost of the storage space or the low rent of 1A given its cost to renovate. But with a handsome young family in need of a home, the ghastly but necessary cost would be grudgingly borne. Never mind where the money comes from, people always believe it is taken directly from their own meager budgets!
Old 08-21-2013, 11:35 PM
Nobility

Forgive me if this has been discussed but I am curious about the inhabitants and history of apt 1A-who had it before Margaret and further back?
Old 08-24-2013, 07:31 PM
Heir Apparent

According to the Express KP is ready for the Cambridges

By George, Prince William and Kate Middleton can finally move in | Royal | News | Daily Express

Old 08-24-2013, 08:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
We'll see... I think it will not be formally announced. But some vague mention of KP MAY be in the announcement about the DOC's career move... any moment now.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
We'll see... I think it will not be formally announced. But some vague mention of KP MAY be in the announcement about the DOC's career move... any moment now.
Good job we didn't hold our breath last January on the imminent announcement!

Old 09-23-2013, 10:22 AM
Majesty

Building work begins on Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's 'future home'
Building work begins on Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's 'future home' - Telegraph

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 09-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

First look inside the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's Anglesey home

First look inside the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's Anglesey home - Telegraph
Old 09-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Courtier

Sandringham Estate security work begins before Wills, Kate and Prince George arrive | Mail Online
Old 09-28-2013, 10:35 PM
Majesty

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to move into Kensington Palace in a matter of days-
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to move into Kensington Palace in a matter of days | Royal | News | Daily Express

Dr. Maya Angelou